Flight of Passage: People of size be warned

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I got the chance to ride FoP this week. 6’1 about 325 lbs. I tried the test seat and the CM said it was in the red. More of an issue with the legs than back. I went in anyway with my party and when we boarded the ride the CM was really good. She helped me to move my feet forward and then told me to suck in and the thing clicked. It was tight (especially on my legs) but once the ride started it felt like it got more loose. The ride was amazing. My advice to anyone worried is to try it even if the test seat says you won’t fit.

Hina Khan

Just an FYI everyone from personal experience. Me and hubby just came back, hubby is "pooh" sized but had absolutely no issue with the ride, nobody even had to push the restraints or anything. For reference, he is 5'9", 285 pounds, and measurements are a pretty even 51/51/51 inches chest/waist/hips.

tissandtully

Just an FYI everyone from personal experience. Me and hubby just came back, hubby is "pooh" sized but had absolutely no issue with the ride, nobody even had to push the restraints or anything. For reference, he is 5'9", 285 pounds, and measurements are a pretty even 51/51/51 inches chest/waist/hips.
Yeah, they definitely changed the restraint limits since the soft opening, I initially had issues with that during softs (was a little tight, but still fit fine), but since official opening it has been even better. My favorite ride!

WDWMPrincess

Oh oh. I am so glad this thread was here. I hadn't even thought about size issues. My spouse is six foot six and it sounds like his height might be an issue.

WDWMPrincess

No I don't think height will be an issue. Basically from the waist up there is no anything touching you. I'm 6 ft and my legs were fine and I don't think there would be any problem. I never even had the leg locks touching me. I was sitting up when the back thing came up and touched me, once the ride started I leaned forward and nothing was really touching me any where. Doesn't matter it's just like riding a motorcycle, I wouldn't even need anything to hold me in on that ride but it's Disney and I'm sure someone would manage to fall off their seat killing themselves. Tumble off that seat forward and you would be in for a pretty good drop depending on what row you where is. I don't remember anything over my legs either that would cause a problem with long legs. To give you an idea when I ride Space Mountain in the front seat my knees are about as high as my shoulders. I'm wedged into those seats.

Thanks, Corey! I really appreciate you taking the time to fill me in. After reading your reply I googled up some video of the seating. I think all our group will be able to manage which is great news. This is one of the rides we're really looking forward to experiencing.

slpybeartx

Hello, wanted to take a few minutes to register and reply to this thread. I just visited the park on 5/8/2018 and was excited to ride FoP for the first time. Getting in line we came into the attraction from the "left" side of the queue. We did not see any seats because of this... and we didn't speak to the attendant at the front. It was an 80 minute wait (which made us excited!).

When we were in line for 20 minutes, I noticed that everyone in the line had a "link pass" card in their hands. I asked to borrow it and my heart sank when I read that there were size limitations. Me? I am a big guy. I've dropped 36 pounds since mid-January, but I am still 334 lb. I stand 5' 11", have a 29" inseam and run a 44-46" waist. My calves are big, but not sure exactly how big. I carry most of my weight in my belly and chest.

Needless to say, after I read the card in line I got on the internet and began reading lots of info about plus sized riders. My heart sank. I was proud of my weight I have lost so far, but know that I have a long way to go. This was the first thread I read. After reading this and many others I was 99.999% sure I would not fit.

I read all the tips and tricks about fitting, so I thought what the heck... 80 minutes in line, at least my wife will get to ride.

To my great happiness, I FIT. I didn't even have to take off my shoes. I scooted into the chair, pulled myself completely into the seat, drew my legs up and in, and made sure I didn't squat; I pulled the small of my back as close as I could into the seat. The seat back and leg restraints closed without any issues or shoving. I was very snug in the top "seal" of the seat, but breathed and felt fine.

Those are my measurements and my experience. Hope that helps anyone else who is worried about fitting.

And the Ride? OMG, that was an amazing ride! I would probably wait 180 minutes for that.

geekza

This thread has been invaluable. I'm heading to WDW in November and really want to be able to experience the attraction, but I'm 6'3" and about 310. I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens. It couldn't be worse than when I tried to take my son on his first roller coaster at King's Island a few years ago and, for the first time, couldn't fit on The Racer. As I stood up to exit the train, my son yelled, "You're doing the 'Walk of Shame,' Dad!" I have never wished so hard that I could become invisible.

WDWMPrincess

This thread has been invaluable. I'm heading to WDW in November and really want to be able to experience the attraction, but I'm 6'3" and about 310. I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens. It couldn't be worse than when I tried to take my son on his first roller coaster at King's Island a few years ago and, for the first time, couldn't fit on The Racer. As I stood up to exit the train, my son yelled, "You're doing the 'Walk of Shame,' Dad!" I have never wished so hard that I could become invisible.

Aww sorry that happened. Could you please try to remember to return and let us know how it goes? My spouse is 6'6" and 285 pounds. I've seen video of a trial seat outside the ride which we're planning to try. I've also seen a couple of youtubes where they showed they had difficulties with the trial seat but were fine in the actual seat, and not just with this ride. Probably makes sense since the mock ups aren't under power and get differing wear and tear.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Aww sorry that happened. Could you please try to remember to return and let us know how it goes? My spouse is 6'6" and 285 pounds. I've seen video of a trial seat outside the ride which we're planning to try. I've also seen a couple of youtubes where they showed they had difficulties with the trial seat but were fine in the actual seat, and not just with this ride. Probably makes sense since the mock ups aren't under power and get differing wear and tear.
That is what happened to me. The test seat doesn’t actually lock in. You have to push the restraint down and then see if it’s in the green or red. It was red on the outside for me but I went in anyway and the CM inside was able to get it to lock in.

geekza

I will absolutely report back. When the attraction first opened and I began to read more and more stories about folks having difficulty fitting in the seats, I just thought, "Well, that's another ride I'll never get to experience." It seems like, over time, trial and error has helped cast members figure out strategies for helping most people get fastened securely into their seats. I'm going to give it a go and hope for the best. I'm also going to work on dropping a few pounds before my trip. Having a goal definitely helps with motivation.

lordsigma

I got kicked off - was very disappointed. It sounds like this is still a fairly common problem despite improvements. Unfortunately the cast member I had only minimally tried to make it fit by pushing on it and didn’t give me an opportunity to stand up suck it in and try sitting down again. After pushing a couple times and failing to get the third light they asked me to leave. I probably should have asked to try again but it was very busy and didn’t want to make a scene and I Tend to be conflict adverse/passive probably to my own detriment.

21stamps

I got kicked off - was very disappointed. It sounds like this is still a fairly common problem despite improvements. Unfortunately the cast member I had only minimally tried to make it fit by pushing on it and didn’t give me an opportunity to stand up suck it in and try sitting down again. After pushing a couple times and failing to get the third light they asked me to leave. I probably should have asked to try again but it was very busy and didn’t want to make a scene and I Tend to be conflict adverse/passive probably to my own detriment.

Sorry to hear that. Did the test seat work but the ride itself didn’t?

sedati

Did you fit on the test seat?

lordsigma

I didn’t try it obviously I should have before getting In line so in that regard It was my own fault. I had not heard about this problem and I will confess I did not read the card. I have never had a problem at any WDW attraction before now so I almost didn’t even put any thought to it. Obviously somewhat my own fault for not researching/investigating and not noticing the fine print near the tester or reading the card. I got the mistaken idea that the test one was more about seeing if your comfortable with getting inthe seat for people that may be jittery about it or have mobility issues - I didn’t realize there were size restrictions. But hey sometimes your just excited to ride and you don’t think of these things.

I will say though it would have been nice if
The person at the fast pass entrance had warned me that I might fall into that category and may want to try out the tester to avoid an embarrassing situation - you’d think by now they’d have a pretty good idea of people that are higher risk for it. Yes I had a fast pass so at least I didn’t wait 100 minutes and have that happen but I did book my fast passes 60 days out mainly to get FoP so it was pretty disappointing. Guest relations did give me a special fast pass return thing for when I go back again on a future vacation as we had to leave and today was our last day here so I guess I’ll try to shed a few pounds the next time we go.

Last edited:

lordsigma

I didn’t try it obviously I should have before getting In line so in that regard It was my own fault. I had not heard about this problem and I will confess I did not read the card. I have never had a problem at any WDW attraction before now so I almost didn’t even put any thought to it. Obviously somewhat my own fault for not researching/investigating and not noticing the fine print near the tester or reading the card. I got the mistaken idea that the test one was more about seeing if your comfortable with getting inthe seat for people that may be jittery about it or have mobility issues - I didn’t realize there were size restrictions. But hey sometimes your just excited to ride and you don’t think of these things.

I will say though it would have been nice if
The person at the fast pass entrance had warned me that I might fall into that category and may want to try out the tester to avoid an embarrassing situation - you’d think by now they’d have a pretty good idea of people that are higher risk for it. Yes I had a fast pass so at least I didn’t wait 100 minutes and have that happen but I did book my fast passes 60 days out mainly to get FoP so it was pretty disappointing. Guest relations did give me a special fast pass return thing for when I go back again on a future vacation as we had to leave and today was our last day here so I guess I’ll try to shed a few pounds the next time we go.
At the same time though it was very busy and I don’t want to be too harsh on the cast members either- it was very busy and it does not seem like an exact science so I’m sure they do the best they can. Accommodating every single person who wants to ride has to be balanced against moving the queue along efficiently and only reasonable accommodation efforts should be made. It wouldn’t be fair to everyone else riding if they held up the ride for 5-10 minutes to try every which way to make the restraints fit on me - it isn’t everyone else’s problem that I am overweight. Quickly Trying the most common ways to fit it and then ejecting if it doesn’t work is probably the most fair practice even though it’s disappointing to those kicked off.

Okieguy1984

5'9" 350... The belly area/back restraint was fine.

The issue is the legs/calves. I carry almost all of my extra weight up top. My calves are 23" muscles... Very little fat on my legs. It's all gut and torso weight.

I had no trouble with the back restraint. The legs just wouldn't go, even on tiptoes... I wear size 12 shoes. It was a surreal experience...I expected to have trouble with the belly. Zero trouble. No expectations for leg challenge...

Sunshinegirl23

I appreciated this thread before my trip and wanted to report my positive experience with the ride (on October 9). I am a woman 5' 6'' and 245 lbs, size 18/20. I carry most of my weight in my butt, arms, and legs. I have 20-inch calves. So I wasn't worried about the torso restraint (and it was fine) but was very worried about the leg restraints. But I'm happy to report that I had no problems fitting in the ride. The cast member double-checked my leg restraints but didn't have to make any special effort to fit me in. Also, there was a man in my group whom I'd estimate to be 5'8'' 300 lbs with large legs. He was also able to ride, with a little bit of adjustment from the CM.

Based on the earlier posts on this thread, I wonder if Disney has found a way to make the ride accommodate a wider variety of sizes since opening. I'm happy to report that my 44-inch, 44-pound daughter was also able to ride -- so they have not excluded the smaller folks!
Thanks for putting this information on here. I am going in a week and I am/was worried about the calf portion, I have big calves but mine measure at 20 inches so this gives me a little hope!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom