Flight Madness - Need a new Airline

Daily Magic

Original Poster
So our upcoming trip has been upended and now we need to rethink all of our plans. Flying out of EWR to MCO and United switched up our flights with no notice. Our arrival flight was bumped back 3 hours and our departure flight was bumped forward 6 hours. That all accounts for nearly an extra day lost in the parks!!!

So naturally we are reassessing our options and considering two different airlines with flight that’s fit our needs: Jet Blue and Frontier. Now I’ve flown Jet Blue and prefer it but the flight is more than three times Frontiers cost before we even talk about luggage. Frontier on the other hand is an airline I’ve never flown and I know it’s known for being the budget of budget airlines.

What are your thoughts? Take a 3 hour flight with an airline you like for triple the cost or save the money and try out Frontier for the first time? I’d really love to hear from anyone that has an experience flying with Frontier.

Club Cooloholic

So our upcoming trip has been upended and now we need to rethink all of our plans. Flying out of EWR to MCO and United switched up our flights with no notice. Our arrival flight was bumped back 3 hours and our departure flight was bumped forward 6 hours. That all accounts for nearly an extra day lost in the parks!!!

So naturally we are reassessing our options and considering two different airlines with flight that’s fit our needs: Jet Blue and Frontier. Now I’ve flown Jet Blue and prefer it but the flight is more than three times Frontiers cost before we even talk about luggage. Frontier on the other hand is an airline I’ve never flown and I know it’s known for being the budget of budget airlines.

What are your thoughts? Take a 3 hour flight with an airline you like for triple the cost or save the money and try out Frontier for the first time? I’d really love to hear from anyone that has an experience flying with Frontier.
I have flown both, and while I prefer jetblue I don't know if I would fly them for 3 times the cost. May I ask, if flying out of Newark did you look at the prices and times from the other NYC airports, or even Philly?

If you do fly frontier, and plan to bring bags, you might be better off paying extra for the better seats, I think they might include baggage, I ran numbers before and it can be a better deal .

NeverEnufDisney

I've flown out of Newark several times and I've found that I've been delayed almost every time. I would definitely look for other nearby airports. I avoid it like the plague.

Weather_Lady

Be sure to price out the Frontier flight with all the upcharges you want before choosing. I recently was comparing a set of Frontier and Jetblue flights, and by the time I added in bags and seat selection upcharges, the Frontier flight price had more than doubled. 😳 I've never flown Frontier, but their safety record is good.

Rob562

Be sure to price out the Frontier flight with all the upcharges you want before choosing. I recently was comparing a set of Frontier and Jetblue flights, and by the time I added in bags and seat selection upcharges, the Frontier flight price had more than doubled. 😳 I've never flown Frontier, but their safety record is good.

We've flown both Frontier and Spirit. After the first flight on each, of those two airlines we've only flown Spirit since. Frontier's seats were NOT comfortable. Hard, like sitting on a wooden bench, even in the upcharge extra-legroom seats. It would have to be an emergency for us to fly Frontier again.

Conversely, if we're taking a long weekend (4 nights max) trip to Orlando that we can survive packing personal item only, and we can fly non-stop, Spirit is fine with us. (Our first choice is Jetblue, followed by Southwest though)

-Rob

BWW

I think Spirit is worse than Frontier if that helps lol.

I'd probably go with the cheaper option if the flight times line up with what you want.
Agree. Frontier is not AS bad as Spirit, but it's not completely unbearable if it gets you more time in the parks. Just know the seats are really cramped and uncomfortable.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
When comparing Spirit/Frontier pricing to other airlines, it's best to compare them after adding in what the other airlines include.

Also, is EWR your only option? JFK and LGA still exist.

Club Cooloholic

When was the trip planned for?

HRHPrincessAriel

Adding question to this. How reliable is Frontier? It's me flying solo so I don't care about seat assignments and all. Just that I get there and flight doesn't get delayed/canceled

Sans Souci

Adding question to this. How reliable is Frontier? It's me flying solo so I don't care about seat assignments and all. Just that I get there and flight doesn't get delayed/canceled

Right now, I'd be careful. Before you purchase, check the frequency of the route. Their route network is much smaller than the big 3 and Southwest. Is it everyday? Is it a few times a week? They sometimes cancel flights if there are not enough passengers. (Although I'd doubt that's an issue right now.) If a flight that only operates 4-5 times a week gets canceled, you will could wait a day or two to get on another. Take a non-stop, if possible.

Lastly, look at the cost after adding in carry on, checked luggage. It might be just as much as another airline more frequent service.

I've flown them twice and they were perfectly adequate. Their cabin crew is comparable to any other airline. I've heard the biggest issues are when flights are cancelled and people try to get assistance. Their CS is non-existent. They are an Ultra Low Cost Carrier and this is where they cut the most corners.

HRHPrincessAriel

Right now, I'd be careful. Before you purchase, check the frequency of the route. Their route network is much smaller than the big 3 and Southwest. Is it everyday? Is it a few times a week? They sometimes cancel flights if there are not enough passengers. (Although I'd doubt that's an issue right now.) If a flight that only operates 4-5 times a week gets canceled, you will could wait a day or two to get on another. Take a non-stop, if possible.

Lastly, look at the cost after adding in carry on, checked luggage. It might be just as much as another airline more frequent service.

I've flown them twice and they were perfectly adequate. Their cabin crew is comparable to any other airline. I've heard the biggest issues are when flights are cancelled and people try to get assistance. Their CS is non-existent. They are an Ultra Low Cost Carrier and this is where they cut the most corners.
They currently only have 2 flights per day. Which makes me nervous....all seats seem to be available for selection as well.

It's still about $150 cheaper than United even with my the carry on fee.

Sans Souci

They currently only have 2 flights per day. Which makes me nervous....all seats seem to be available for selection as well.

It's still about $150 cheaper than United even with my the carry on fee.

How far out are you for your trip?

Edited to add: the seat selection thing might just mean many passengers have opted to have their seats assigned upon check in.

Last edited:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member

They're reliable in that the plane will take off and land safely, but absolutely no frills and minimum customer service support.

Sans Souci

September?
I had that same thought earlier.
I

Just a heads up if you let them choose your seat. The pitch is small. I don't know what it is off of the top of my head, but it's the smallest pitch I've ever seen. I am 5'8''and my knees were very close to the seat back. It was OK for a 2 hour flight. It's something to consider if you're a taller person.

They aren't my go-to airline, but I have used them when I've had short notice to travel. It's a very utilitarian airline. Bring your own water and entertainment, because they charge you for the former and they don't provide the latter. :)

I would try to book the first flight out, if possible, to avoid nasty weather that crops up in the afternoon that causes delays and cancellations. Plus you can try to get on the next flight.

Even the big 3 can provide poor CS. American really screwed us over twice this month and they were pretty unwilling to help us find a solution to a mess they created. If you wanted to talk to a person on the phone, it was a 4+ hour wait or you could wait 5 days for them to call you back.

Weather_Lady

Just chiming in to emphasize @Sans Souci's excellent advice about choosing the earliest possible flight. Delays are so ubiquitous now, across all airlines, that the best chance you have of arriving at your destination when you want is to schedule a flight as early in the day as possible, and ideally one that arrives well before you need to be there (so you won't miss out on any plans in the event of a delay).

HRHPrincessAriel

Well, went back and looked and neither flight after is direct....like 6 plus hours travel time.

I may suck it up and go United. Makes me nervous I don't have many flight options if there is a delay etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom