Flight Delays Impacting Vacations?

Clamman73

I’m driving this fall since I’m there in Parks week before thanksgiving and in FL for thanksgiving week. The nonstop Southwest flight times are kinda lame this time and even the Baltimore stop ones aren‘t a bargain this year.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I’m driving this fall since I’m there in Parks week before thanksgiving and in FL for thanksgiving week. The nonstop Southwest flight times are kinda lame this time and even the Baltimore stop ones aren‘t a bargain this year.
The good news: gas prices are heading down (at present) and hopefully won't rebound as much as the pundits are predicting.

mgarbowski

We visited during Christmas week last year, and again about 2 weeks ago.

The Christmas trip was during the Omicron surge that also greatly disrupted air travel and both our flights were affected. We were scheduled to get in late morning. We arrived at BLT around 2am. Going home was not as bad, but our flight was cancelled and we were placed on a 6am flight home. That was not our preference but it was not terrible. We did see others at check in whose flights were cancelled and had not been rebooked.

A few weeks ago we made it to MCO roughly on time, and our flight home was delayed 2 hours due to a very normal weather caused problem.

It's very hit or miss and impossible to predict. I would build in flexibility on both ends of your trip. If you don't need it, great, but better to be ready.

Patcheslee

I always fly direct....always. Im also always hoping thats the best strategy. Even to L.A. for DLR. or Vegas..its always a direct flight from Columbus OH.
We switched from using IND to CVG airport to keep direct flights to MCO. Seems to be more direct flight options in a day if we happen to get canceled and need a different airline. I won't risk the nondaily airlines.

Clamman73

Today, right now, July 20 at 8:37 am... CMH to MCO, "Wanna Get Away" fare on Tues, Aug 16 -- $99.

6:15 am departure non-stop.
See for example for the same day for me leaving out of Islip long island I don‘t get those $99 prices anymore.
0EE57242-3E96-4C9E-8C2F-E1D7221331D5.jpeg

skylinerviews

My dad flew a couple weeks ago and had 4 hour delayed flights down and back. We are going in September and our flight home has been rescheduled for 3 hours earlier..WHY CAN'T THAT HAPPEN FOR OUR FLIGHT GOING DOWN???

BillyGr

Auto train leaves VA now at 5pm instead of 4pm. Need to get to station, wait in long line of cars sometimes more than 1 hour by 130pm. 230pm (cut off time) is getting it close since one still has to get in line at terminal to check in and stand in line again. When auto train arrives at 10am in Sanford one doesn't get their car until almost 1130am if one does not get priority receiving which is usually sold out. From DC to WDW is around 13 hours' drive, its more worth it to drive instead of taking auto train.
There is also the issue that someone driving those 13 hours is likely to be quite tired by the time they arrive, where someone taking the train has the option to rest during the trip, and thus be more "ready to go" when they do get there.
So, it might look like you lose a few hours, but in the end it may be little or no time difference by the time you would arrive from driving and then want to rest before doing other stuff.

spock8113

The whole "Pilot Shortage" thing just doesn't make much sense to me. Just like ONE baby formula factory makes ALL the baby formula for the entire country? Clearly there is a supply and demand manipulation occurring. Airlines have been making money hand over fist since they started charging for baggage. Now they throw on a "fuel surcharge". I know some airline personnel were let go due to not complying with company vaccine protocols, but not as many personnel as in 1981. In 1981 President Reagan fired 12,000 air traffic controllers for going on strike and yet there were minimal disruptions in the air traffic control system. I'm skeptical of this entire situation. My solution, I don't fly.

Lilofan

The whole "Pilot Shortage" thing just doesn't make much sense to me. Just like ONE baby formula factory makes ALL the baby formula for the entire country? Clearly there is a supply and demand manipulation occurring. Airlines have been making money hand over fist since they started charging for baggage. Now they throw on a "fuel surcharge". I know some airline personnel were let go due to not complying with company vaccine protocols, but not as many personnel as in 1981. In 1981 President Reagan fired 12,000 air traffic controllers for going on strike and yet there were minimal disruptions in the air traffic control system. I'm skeptical of this entire situation. My solution, I don't fly.
Flying is a gamble if one flight is delayed or cancelled not to fly until several days the rush to get a rental car is a gamble too if there are any rental cars left in stock at the airport to drive home.

Patcheslee

Flying is a gamble if one flight is delayed or cancelled not to fly until several days the rush to get a rental car is a gamble too if there are any rental cars left in stock at the airport to drive home.
Depending on how bad things are come next year, I wouldn’t write off having a rental car reserved for my departure day as backup. Wouldn’t cost anything up front. But at least then, I wouldn’t have same day pricing to worry about.

RememberWhen

There is also the issue that someone driving those 13 hours is likely to be quite tired by the time they arrive, where someone taking the train has the option to rest during the trip, and thus be more "ready to go" when they do get there.
So, it might look like you lose a few hours, but in the end it may be little or no time difference by the time you would arrive from driving and then want to rest before doing other stuff.
We’re trying the auto train for this reason. While we can do the 24+hours driving from MA, by the time we get there DW and I are a wreck and our 3 kids are pumped to be at Disney. We’ll see if it’s “worth” it in the end, but it can’t hurt to try once.

Lilofan

We’re trying the auto train for this reason. While we can do the 24+hours driving from MA, by the time we get there DW and I are a wreck and our 3 kids are pumped to be at Disney. We’ll see if it’s “worth” it in the end, but it can’t hurt to try once.
Coming from MA to Lorton VA most passengers start lining up at the station at 12 noon day of 5pm departure all cars must be checked in by 230pm, do you plan to leave at midnight from MA to start driving?

RememberWhen

Coming from MA to Lorton VA most passengers start lining up at the station at 12 noon day of 5pm departure all cars must be checked in by 230pm, do you plan to leave at midnight from MA to start driving?
Our plan is to leave the day before, stay overnight one night in NJ and then drive the 3-4 hours to the train station the next morning. Breaking it up with the kids. But yes. If we are unable to do the hotel the night before we would leave in the middle of the night/very early morning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom