Flamingo Crossing Retail Center

TimeTrip

On the bright side he did approve SunRail (CRT) whose Osceola County portion is due to open next year, and BrightLine/AAF is almost ready to start service in South Florida, but they're waiting on one more train-set (Bright Red) to be delivered from Siemens over in California.
Hurray for Sunrail. The mass transportation system whose ticket revenue doesn't even cover the cost of ticketing...

JoeCamel

If you think a high speed rail doesn't make sense between Tampa and Orlando then you've never sat on I-4 at 5 pm on a weekday. Poinciana/Haines City/the entire "Four Corners" area really should have been (or should be....) included in a rail connection to Disney as tons of Disney cast members live in those areas. Living is cheap. Heck, even where I grew up, a sleepy small town an hour west of Disney there were several cast members commuting to Disney every day.
There would not be a station at that location. Tampa - Lakeland- Orlando only. Not much use to Disney unless they could have funded a stop at WDW.

lazyboy97o

There would not be a station at that location. Tampa - Lakeland- Orlando only. Not much use to Disney unless they could have funded a stop at WDW.
Disney did offer up land for station and there was going to be one. There were way too many stops, all of which dragged down the travel time. The final trip ended up only being something like five minutes faster than could have been handled with conventional rail.

Disneyhead'71

Disney did offer up land for station and there was going to be one. There were way too many stops, all of which dragged down the travel time. The final trip ended up only being something like five minutes faster than could have been handled with conventional rail.
That's what killed it. Running a high speed rail like a commuter rail makes no sense.

jt04

That's what killed it. Running a high speed rail like a commuter rail makes no sense.

Hyperloops won't have this problem.

BernardandBianca

This whole thing was a mess. If I can recall, the land Disney offered up was at the edge/adjacent to WDW, with no way to get anywhere else in the vicinity. And I believe it was contingent on not having other meaningful stops in the Orlando area. Wouldn't haven't helped any cast members living in Florida (who would still have to drive to get to a station), and frequency of trains would be a big issue - like it is with SunRail, which I might use if they ever ran weekends or later than rush hour.

lazyboy97o

This whole thing was a mess. If I can recall, the land Disney offered up was at the edge/adjacent to WDW, with no way to get anywhere else in the vicinity. And I believe it was contingent on not having other meaningful stops in the Orlando area. Wouldn't haven't helped any cast members living in Florida (who would still have to drive to get to a station), and frequency of trains would be a big issue - like it is with SunRail, which I might use if they ever ran weekends or later than rush hour.
The most recent offer was actually open to other stops. There was a good thread on here back when the project was "shovel ready" and there was/is just nothing objectively in favor of high speed rail, be it density of the areas served, volume of traffic or (the real killer) travel times.

floridagirl57

The most recent offer was actually open to other stops. There was a good thread on here back when the project was "shovel ready" and there was/is just nothing objectively in favor of high speed rail, be it density of the areas served, volume of traffic or (the real killer) travel times.
A huge issue with transit in Florida is the first mile and last mile connection. If you were to take transit to a destination in Orlando area, you would (likely) need a last mile connection to get to your destination. Imagine being dropped off on 192. Or if someone wanted to take the Amtrack from Tampa to Kissimmee, a last mile connection to Disney World is needed. It's been found that Uber/Lyft a lot of the time serves as this first or last mile connection. If there was a stop at Disney there would be no need for a first mile or last mile connection since the area is a well contained transit bubble. Because of my profession, I'm a huge advocate for transit but I've talked to a lot of people who are hesitant about transit in this State because of this exact reason, the lack of first mile/last mile connections.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If you think a high speed rail doesn't make sense between Tampa and Orlando then you've never sat on I-4 at 5 pm on a weekday. Poinciana/Haines City/the entire "Four Corners" area really should have been (or should be....) included in a rail connection to Disney as tons of Disney cast members live in those areas. Living is cheap. Heck, even where I grew up, a sleepy small town an hour west of Disney there were several cast members commuting to Disney every day.

Light Rail makes sense and would be economical to operate as well, High Speed rail simply a boondoggle, Gov Voldemort made the right call here.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Hurray for Sunrail. The mass transportation system whose ticket revenue doesn't even cover the cost of ticketing...

Yet NOWHERE in the entire world does passenger rail make money. Ironically Amtrak's northeast corridor is one of the few rail routes in the world which make money. But Amtrak as a system loses money.

raymusiccity

Yet NOWHERE in the entire world does passenger rail make money. Ironically Amtrak's northeast corridor is one of the few rail routes in the world which make money. But Amtrak as a system loses money.

'Everything old will be new again!'
IMG_2192.JPG

floridagirl57

The funny thing when people talk about rail and mass transit in general, they seem to forget that roads don't build themselves. With the exception of toll roads, roads are 100% subsidized.
Interestingly, the new direction from FDOT for expansion of the state highway system is that the added capacity will be achieved through toll lanes. Ex: i4 ultimate.

Gatorboy

Interestingly, the new direction from FDOT for expansion of the state highway system is that the added capacity will be achieved through toll lanes. Ex: i4 ultimate.
That isn't exactly true, highways are built, then maintained via gas taxes. It isn't the same. Fees do not cover cost of maintains rail, thus they have to be subsidized

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom