Flame Tree Barbeque asking for Donations to DWCF

GoofyMom2

We all were wearing our buttons in April and got Thank Yous from several CM throughout the day. The best was the CM at AKL...it was the night vision viewing area and the CM there saw my sons' buttons and told them they could have extra time looking through the goggles.

Of course there was no one waiting behind us....but it made them feel special! :wave:

Penndragon85

We all were wearing our buttons in April and got Thank Yous from several CM throughout the day. The best was the CM at AKL...it was the night vision viewing area and the CM there saw my sons' buttons and told them they could have extra time looking through the goggles.

Of course there was no one waiting behind us....but it made them feel special! :wave:

THATS VERY COOL...ya i've heard that the DAK Lodge has been very passionate about it ::sohappy: Have you seen any of the other buttons? The different colors and design for each location :wave: ?

CAPTAIN HOOK

What in the world is wrong with asking for a donation for a wildlife fund at Animal Kingdom? It's a theme park that is partially dedicated to taking care of animals and animal research.

They ask for a $1 donation to help animals. Why does that upset you?

A simple "no" means you don't have to give them one cent.

Because people feel obliged to stump up when asked.

There have been many threads on here about people complaining about theme park ticket price increases, car parking price increases, hotel prices increasing etc, etc.

A stay in a Disney resort is more expensive than a stay in a similar property off site - Disney does over charge.

Penndragon85

There have been many threads on here about people complaining about theme park ticket price increases, car parking price increases, hotel prices increasing etc, etc.

A stay in a Disney resort is more expensive than a stay in a similar property off site - Disney does over charge.

Wow can't change your mind no need to get mad :) Yes well its not just he its everywhere... have you ever been to Las Vegas lol... it makes Disney look cheap lol. True there are probably many people that have given just to shut the cm up. But they receive millions of letters from guest and there children all wanting to learn more about it and what they can do to help. So there are still many people on there that purposely no matter how much they have spent still donate, I one of those people. I make a rule each time I get something and they ask I give at least something. But thats just me :animwink: Sorry but there is nothing negative about giving to a fund that goes 100% to save wildlife and wildplaces. No parking fees thats a whole nother story :lookaroun lol which we wont get into .

Main Street USA

Disney doesn't make money on this, so I'm not sure why you're comparing it to what they charge in and around the parks. This is basically a charity that supports wildlife. No comparison.

But, on a side note about what they charge, people still go, so they're not overcharging. They're charging what it's worth. If it wasn't worth it to you, you simply wouldn't go. ;)

darthjohnny

Ditto! 100% of the money goes to wildlife and wildplaces all around the world! Disney does pay money to it, they match every guest donations and so far we collected over 10 million dollars in donations and have helped out over 450 projects worldwide many also here in America since 1995! This foundation has saved so many animals. This money does not go to the animals in Disney's Animal Kingdom's Collection or to Disney it goes to wildlife and wildplaces, all 100% of the donations. The Walt Disney Co. pays also for all the buttons, booklets and adminstration fees. So a simple no is okay. To find out more information on DWCF go to Disneywildlifefund.com . You will be amazed once you look at how much it has helped!

PS: Yes all of the 4 main F&B locations for a short time only are asking for donations it was start on July 30th. And yes it has been very successful!:) You might have not been asked in august because the cm were still being trained for DWCF or it was at a busy time and they didn't have time to ask sorry.

Well it is good to help the animals....But there is a reason why they match the donation. It is because it is Disney's own organization. Although you are contributing to the wildlife, you are really in a way paying for Animal Kingdom. :lol:

teebin

Original Poster
Disney doesn't make money on this, so I'm not sure why you're comparing it to what they charge in and around the parks. This is basically a charity that supports wildlife. No comparison.

But, on a side note about what they charge, people still go, so they're not overcharging. They're charging what it's worth. If it wasn't worth it to you, you simply wouldn't go. ;)

Wow, I had no idea this thread would cause so much ferver when I started it. However, I agree with Main Street. More than ever since I found out that Disney matches your donation. On the other hand, I now see making a donation as punching the WD company in the nose for abusing much of the land they own, having displaced millions of native florida animals. And for those of you who live out of state and may not have a handle on the Florida landscape. Disney has and continues to do just this. The now nearly extinct Florida Panther; WDW has developed much of its native habitat, along with many other developers yes, but WDW has its hand in the same bag.

Dwarful

Well, I don't think Captain Hook was angry. I think he was just expressing his opinion. Where I live there are now 2 or 3 stores that ask at every purchase if I want to give my change as a donation, I say no thanks and leave it at that. If I were to be asked every time I made a purchase..food, snacks, souvineers etc at AK that would get really old really fast. We keep the change because we are always needing quarters and pennies (no matter how many we bring its never enough).
Target just makes a big lump sum donation to Salvation Army because they don't want the bell ringers making customers feel obligated to donate. (Both of our girls scout troops ring for this every season). BUT, I see both sides of the coin, but I'd just prefer they not ask me at every transaction.

Dwarful

Honestly, I don't really care if the money goes to fund the animals at the park or other wildlife areas or research. My point is simply I don't want to be asked several times a day to make a donation. I liked the idea of the button display, where we could and did give up an extra $1 (or was it $2?) and get the button for the girls to wear. If you already have a button on do they not ask you? As a passholder I could just see that would get really old really fast. If I'm making a purchase of any kind at WDW I just want to get it over with and get on with the fun! but thats just me. It has nothing against the group they are funding or against Disney itself. I just don't want to be asked multiple times daily. But maybe I am confused on this issue.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
As a passholder.. I think if they had asked me for every single purchase I made at AK, I may have donated a whopping $0.75 for the entire past year.

I donated more the first time I rode dinosaur and the girl asked me if I wanted to buy the button when I purchased my on-ride photo. I waste more of my life/time asking there not to be pickles/onions on my burgers on a weekly basis at McD's.

Penndragon85

Wow, I had no idea this thread would cause so much ferver when I started it. However, I agree with Main Street. More than ever since I found out that Disney matches your donation. On the other hand, I now see making a donation as punching the WD company in the nose for abusing much of the land they own, having displaced millions of native florida animals. And for those of you who live out of state and may not have a handle on the Florida landscape. Disney has and continues to do just this. The now nearly extinct Florida Panther; WDW has developed much of its native habitat, along with many other developers yes, but WDW has its hand in the same bag.

Just a little side note there is set land at WDW that will never be develop walt wanted to make sure when buying the land that people could not move in a develop on land areas he set to protect. There is a huge chunk of land in which it is has never been touch and it's a national park called the Disney Wilderness Preserve, its not run by disney..it just has the name. Its run by The Nature Conservancy ( you can find more information on the site disneywildlifefund.com) . I heard its amazing, you can go as a guest, its fifteen miles south of WDW. So its not all doom and gloom:sohappy:

Shaman

What in the world is wrong with asking for a donation for a wildlife fund at Animal Kingdom? It's a theme park that is partially dedicated to taking care of animals and animal research.

They ask for a $1 donation to help animals. Why does that upset you?

A simple "no" means you don't have to give them one cent.

I agree. It's cool that they're doing this....it allows people a real easy and convenient way to make a small donation.

cmatt

i was in a generous mood when i went to ak and ended up donating evertime i was buying something - i now have 10 badges (3-5 purchases went unbadged!)

CAPTAIN HOOK

OK guys - you're COMPLETELY missing the point that I'm making -

1) I have nothing against giving money for a worthwhile cause.

2) Disney IS doing a grand job collecting for wildlife conservation

BUT

3) Giving to a charity or worthwhile cause is about the freedom to give. If Disney were to place buckets on sales counters for guests to place loose change in thus creating a non-pressure situation. A CM in your face asking for a donation is a pressure situation and takes that freedom of choice.

4) The point I made about Disney overcharging is true - based on the amount they charge then they can easily afford to make the necessary donations themselves WITHOUT pressurising guests for change

5) OK ??

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Statements 1 and 2 seem contradictory to number 3.

The only pressure in the situation is because of personal guilt. No one spat in your burger because you didn't give 8 cents and no one pointed you out to the rest of the line or made a big deal out of it. It's just your own personal guilt.

Does McD's asking if you "want fries with that" make it so that you have to order fries every time? Do people really have that little sense of self and backbone that they'd be force fed french fries each time they went to McD's wether they wanted and could afford them or not?

Like I mentioned earlier, I spend more time making sure McD's doesn't put onions and pickles on my burgers. Heck, i'm proactive about onion and pickles conservation. Save the pickles! Save the onions! *makes T-shirts*

Penndragon85

:)

Statements 1 and 2 seem contradictory to number 3.

The only pressure in the situation is because of personal guilt. No one spat in your burger because you didn't give 8 cents and no one pointed you out to the rest of the line or made a big deal out of it. It's just your own personal guilt.

Does McD's asking if you "want fries with that" make it so that you have to order fries every time? Do people really have that little sense of self and backbone that they'd be force fed french fries each time they went to McD's wether they wanted and could afford them or not?

Like I mentioned earlier, I spend more time making sure McD's doesn't put onions and pickles on my burgers. Heck, i'm proactive about onion and pickles conservation. Save the pickles! Save the onions! *makes T-shirts*

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thats what I was trying to say.. Perfectly written!.. Because there are many times I say no to french fries at BK and I ask for onion rings instead :) and the money that disney uses for tickets goes to the parks to keep them running, to pay the cast, etc. and a big chunk of that goes to DWCF. Also the programs like Lets go Wild, Backstage Safari, Dophins in Depth, Shark Encounters etc. (they are tours that guest can take at DAK and Epcot) the most of the money goes to the DWCF as well :) And also DAK did do and still do today the little box that you can put money in... most of these are at the merchandise places. And I heard that they want the cast to ask so they can answer any question guest may have... because you know guest they will pass a sign that says Restrooms and they will still ask "where are the restrooms" You think they will see a bucket that say please donate?:veryconfu

Dwarful

Well its a moot point for me because we really don't spend much time at AK..one day most. But if we go in Dec and everyone asks us repeatedly I'll be writing a letter. I think people saw the buttons, donated and got the buttons. So I think they could stay with that opportunity...just seems like a chance to gouge the guests one more time. If they get 50 cents from every guest at every transaction..thats some serious money. But I still am not sure..is this just at food locations or is it going on at retail shops as well?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom