FL Resident Passholders, what do you think of the AP Prices?

devoy1701

Original Poster
I'm just curious to what you guys think of the prices of APs and how drastically they've gone up over the years. I remember when my now wife and I first became passholders, we started with the seasonal passes at about $240/person/year.

We ended up "graduating" to the full Annual Passes about 2 years later when we accidentally misread our blackout calendar, but even then, the cost was only $350/person/year.

The reason I'm asking is because we received a mailer about 2 weeks ago inviting us back at a cost of like $32/month + $90 down-payment for FL Residents. Seems like it's going to work out to over $500/person/year once you factor in tax. It's been 3 years since we've had passes, and we have been getting the urge to visit again lately, but the new steep cost always makes us balk... We don't think it's worth $1,000/yr when we used to be able to go for $700/yr. Have they increased any of the perks recently? Any AP-Only events at the parks?

Thoughts? Comments? Is the price too high? Just right? Don't care because $30 a month is NBD? Just curious to how other APers feel.

aladdin2007

As passholders, were reaching the tipping point. Its getting to where its not worth the money. fp+ is making standby lines impossible, they arent adding anything of substance enough, or updating what they do have. Granted I do like the monthly payment program. Right now we have annuals, but come time to renew next year we already decided we will probably downgrade to either the seasonal or weekday select. We want to keep some kind of ticket because we do like going just for the day and there are good discounts on tours and of course a room if we do a weekend etc, some shopping etc.

NearTheEars

The biggest thing for us is the payment program. Since it spreads it out we don't take that big of a financial hit all at once.

It's been worth it for us because we use it so much. Most months we visit every other weekend. Sometimes each weekend. We renewed in August and have already racked up about 12 days in the parks so we really take advantage of it.

The discounts on some food and merchandise and free parking are nice.

aladdin2007

The biggest thing for us is the payment program. Since it spreads it out we don't take that big of a financial hit all at once.

It's been worth it for us because we use it so much. Most months we visit every other weekend. Sometimes each weekend. We renewed in August and have already racked up about 12 days in the parks so we really take advantage of it.

The discounts on some food and merchandise and free parking are nice.

Thats been the best part, I dont think we would have them otherwise.

devoy1701

Original Poster
I like the idea of the payment program too, but at the same time (being in finance and working in business operations) I still look at the whole cost against the old cost. Plus, for two people, $70/month isn't that cheap!

We used to rack up about 40 days in the park each year (we live in Tampa area). Our lives have changed pretty drastically over the past 3 years though and I don't know if we'd be able (or willing) to keep up that kind of schedule again. Plus we have a little one due in January, so that might put us out of commission for a few months. I was thinking of just getting some 3-day play passes or something, or perhaps in a few months get some Seasonal Passes. Not sure if I could ever make that leap to AP again.

G8rchamps

We bought passes this year with some extra money we came into, but do not plan to renew due to the cost. We live about 2.5 hours away so we ussually end up with hotel costs added to our trips.

AndyGator

All WDW prices are skyrocketing. From annual passes to resorts. We've had annual passes for 3 or 4 years now. The room discounts used to be much better. They've got us hooked. More crowds, longer waits, higher price tag. I don't know how much longer we'll be passholders.

devoy1701

Original Poster
I've had seasonal passholder tickets for almost 30 years straight. We use it so much it's definitely worth it for our family.
have you ever calculated out how much money you've given the Mouse just for your tickets? o_O :jawdrop:

These are the kinds of games a finance mind plays...

Epcot-Rules

All WDW prices are skyrocketing. From annual passes to resorts. We've had annual passes for 3 or 4 years now. The room discounts used to be much better. They've got us hooked. More crowds, longer waits, higher price tag. I don't know how much longer we'll be passholders.
Same here. We will not renew this November.

As passholders, were reaching the tipping point. Its getting to where its not worth the money. fp+ is making standby lines impossible, they arent adding anything of substance enough, or updating what they do have. Granted I do like the monthly payment program. Right now we have annuals, but come time to renew next year we already decided we will probably downgrade to either the seasonal or weekday select. We want to keep some kind of ticket because we do like going just for the day and there are good discounts on tours and of course a room if we do a weekend etc, some shopping etc.
This times a million.

I took almost a year off of being a season passholder, and just bit the bullet and got them again last month (mainly because the kids really missed it). We got Universal annual passes in April and have absolutely loved them. The crowds are lower. The prices, while still high, are a little more reasonable because we get a discount with our passes. If there's a huge wait time (say for Despicable Me, for instance) then we just try it again during the week when we know it will be lower. The attractions, for the most part, are in working order and look cleaner and fresher.

The wait times at WDW are insane, especially for attractions like Toy Story (why the hell did they get rid of the single rider line anyways?). I finally rode Toy Story for the first time in 3 years the night I ran the Tower of Terror 10 Miler race, simply because the wait was only 45 minutes at 1:30 a.m. I won't come at rope drop and get run over to ride this attraction, so it's always 70 minutes and higher - so we'll never ride.

Even as a local (I literally live behind MK), it's damn near impossible to get reservations to the restaurants that we like the most. It's like Ohana has become this rare holy grail to get. I miss the promotions like a few years back where we got 3 months free when we bought our passes.

The lines are outrageous. Getting run over by strollers and ECV's all of the time is maddening. I personally feel like the new Fantasyland area was a huge let down (I love Storybook Circus, though) and really dislike how prices are steadily going up, up, up (higher cost for a child's seasonal AP, food prices slowly going up, cheap merchandise prices going up, having to put a credit card down for all reservation required restaurants). You can't even get a big cup of free ice water anymore (my past 5 visits to WDW in the past month I've asked for water and have received a very small cup versus the large cup they used to give out).

I feel like Disney has almost gotten too big for its britches. I think they were in their prime in the 90's - or even in the 80's - when you could just walk into the park, not have to do a ridiculous touring plan, walk up to nearly any restaurant, and no fast passes.

I miss the days where my family and I would pile into the car (grew up in Daytona), would be at the park about 30 minutes before opening, head into Tony's for breakfast, ride every single attraction with no more than an hour wait, watch fireworks from the hub area and not dodge millions of strollers or ECV's, stay until the park closed at 2 a.m., then ride home in a deliriously happy and exhausted state. Now my family and I make the 5 minute drive to the park, wait 20ish minutes to board the boat with hundreds of ed off tourists since the monorail is down, walk from attraction to attraction to see 60+ minute waits and no fast passes, no openings for sit down restaurants, and wall to wall people watching fireworks, parades, and the castle show. We end up walking around the park for a few hours and never actually DO anything. And that's just MK - it's pretty much the same for other parks at WDW as well.

For the record, I am a massive Disney fan. I am also a gigantic Run Disney fan, and I see issues in their department as well. I am greatly disappointed that Disney can't seem to get their act together on a number of things (run down attractions, monorail constantly breaking down, etc etc etc).

If Disney took the extra money that they're making off of everyone and put it back into their existing attractions and monorail system, I'd be okay with it. But I don't see improvements, just adding more things to the parks to add more people in to generate more money...a giant mouse trap.

I know I'm all over the place with this. :p

At the end of the day, I do not see myself renewing again for awhile when these expire. I'm happy there is a monthly payment plan, but the cost isn't worth it anymore.

menamechris

I have taken a break after being a Disney passholder for years. The prices just keep climbing and the perks chiseled away. I have switched to a Universal annual pass for this year. I live in downtown Orlando, so it's a quicker trip, the perks and discounts are far more significant, and the pass itself is far cheaper than Disney's. And considering all the action is happening at Universal right now - it just makes more sense for now.

I don't see the mine train enticing me back into an annual pass, so maybe in 2017 when Avatar is open. Of course, by then, I have no doubt an annual pass will be $1,000. No...really...I'm not kidding...

devoy1701

Original Poster
I don't want this turning into a bash Disney or a Uni is better thread. But I do appreciate the responses so far!

I think my psychological limit is $100/park for a Pass. I don't think I am willing to spend more than $400 for a pass for the Disney Parks without more being added to them or more discounts/perks being offered with the pass. Promos as @Raving Rabbids mentioned were huge...3 months free with a new pass or a renewal got us to seal the deal a few years back! I also enjoyed the free Water Park admission they gave us another year!

And a little goes a long way with those discounts. 10% off all purchases (Food and merchandise) should be a given, and when they run those special 20% off promos at certain locations, they always get us to buy some pretty big ticket collectibles (that's how I got most of my Olszewski Main Street USA Miniatures). Or how about a slight discount on MYW tickets for friends and family as long as they are attending the parks with them? Or bring back the deep discounts for the hard ticket parties (I remember when as a Passholder we could get Halloween Party tickets for $35/person)! Lastly, make the Room discounts more substantial. I don't want to see the FL Resident Room rate for WL at $249/night and the AP discount $244.

Reasonable and steady perks would help to make me justify the costs of the Pass. Afterall, APers are probably spending more than the guests who go once a year for a week-long stay!

JohnD

I'm a Florida Resident and hadn't been back in more than 20 years. (I know, shame, shame.). Anyway, for the week I wanted to go (9/29 - 10/5), I decided on a Florida Resident Weekday Select Pass ($211) vs. a FR 4-Day Park Hopper ($222). For the week I was there, it worked out to an extra day (5 weekdays rather than any 4 days).

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
what about you @Master Yoda. Do you have a breaking point?
Of course, we all do.

We have always gotten the seasonal passes for a variety of reasons. First and foremost was of course the cost as up until a few years ago I was buying 5 year. Even though we are now down to 3, we still stick with the seasonal passes. We simply have no desire to be at WDW during the peak season that is blacked out by the seasonal pass. We also live just far enough away that day trips are not all that fun so we typically stay on property effectively nullifying the free parking perk of a full AP.

We are very close to the breaking point, but it is not really Disney's fault. Disney's prices go up every year as does everything else. However, the family income has not gone up at all (it has actually gone down) in around 7 years. If the housing bubble had not burst like it did and I would have been receiving the typical 4%-5% cost of living raise I got every year we would be miles away from the breaking point.

When I look at the value I get from Disney, the seasonal AP's are well worth the cost.

Last edited:

aladdin2007

Disney has been advertising the Seasonal Pass alot here recently, locally. But they dont the annual. I sense a shift in they really dont want locals to have an annual anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom