Fixing FP+

kondjott

Original Poster
This forum has been pretty negative about the FP+/MM+/Magicband rollout. We saw from Disney's recent "Lock it In" FB post that the negativity is pretty widespread. Assume for a moment that the BOD is interested in a way to "fix" the problems with the system and answer the widespread complaints, and that you have the opportunity to pitch them ideas on how to save face. What would you suggest? (Let's assume that scrapping the system entirely and returning to paper FP's is not an option they'll consider, given the enormous sunk costs).

I'll go first:

Remove the tiers and 3-per-day/1-park constraints, and let everyone select FP's with the new system with exactly the same time-bound limits as old, paper system. You'll only have 1 FP in your "queue" at any given time, but after a certain amount of time you can select another one (just like the old system). Only now, you've added the convenience of doing this from an app or centralized kiosks instead of having to run all over the park.

Not happy that we can't track people as closely now? Fine, give on-site guests "bonus" FP+ selections that they can make ahead of time (in addition to the ones they get day-of). If 3 extra FP's is too much for all guests, split it up by resorts: Values get 1, Moderates get 2, Deluxes get 3.

Weather_Lady

I'd agree with removing the tiers, although I'd still suggest giving onsite guests (AND all APs, onsite or off) the perk of reserving their FP+ before the rest of the guests. It would be cool if onsite guests got a higher FP+ allotment, but I'm not sure if WDW has the FP+ capacity for that, and I'd certainly never want to see one's FP+ allotment dictated by the category of one's hotel. This business of "you HAVE to reserve 3 FP+ even if you only want and will use 1" is silly -- if the limit is 3 FP+ in a day, you should be permitted to make only 1 or 2 if that is your wish.

Also, parkhopping needs to be accounted-for somehow, even if the solution is simply to give guests with parkhopper tickets the ability to split their daily FP+ allotment between different parks in the same day.

jgd250

This forum has been pretty negative about the FP+/MM+/Magicband rollout. We saw from Disney's recent "Lock it In" FB post that the negativity is pretty widespread. Assume for a moment that the BOD is interested in a way to "fix" the problems with the system and answer the widespread complaints, and that you have the opportunity to pitch them ideas on how to save face. What would you suggest? (Let's assume that scrapping the system entirely and returning to paper FP's is not an option they'll consider, given the enormous sunk costs).

I'll go first:

Remove the tiers and 3-per-day/1-park constraints, and let everyone select FP's with the new system with exactly the same time-bound limits as old, paper system. You'll only have 1 FP in your "queue" at any given time, but after a certain amount of time you can select another one (just like the old system). Only now, you've added the convenience of doing this from an app or centralized kiosks instead of having to run all over the park.

Not happy that we can't track people as closely now? Fine, give on-site guests "bonus" FP+ selections that they can make ahead of time (in addition to the ones they get day-of). If 3 extra FP's is too much for all guests, split it up by resorts: Values get 1, Moderates get 2, Deluxes get 3.

StarWarsGirl

Start by getting a REAL backend DB Server and network that can handle 2X current peak usage.

Really - would any of US build a new mansion on a crumbling foundation?
Technobabble: I'm assuming this means "Fix the technology issues first"?

If that's what you mean, then yes. Most definitely.

kondjott

Original Poster
Start by getting a REAL backend DB Server and network that can handle 2X current peak usage.

Really - would any of US build a new mansion on a crumbling foundation?

Yeah agreed, this has to be priority #1. Fixing back-end and other tech issues would (hopefully) fix a lot of the current complaints: give AP holders access to full FP+ capability, allow for park-hopping, and prevent long waits at the FP+ return lines.

jgd250

I just returned from WDW yesterday. Went to MK on Thursday. I was really having trouble finding info on the new system from Disney. Wish I had discovered this website before I left - their info was more accurate than calling Disney to ask. This was my 7th trip to Disney. All of the previous trips were magical. After this trip, I'm seriously considering never going back. I had so much trouble trying to find out about the new system. I'd call the Disney phone number and tell them I had questions about the new FP system. After waiting to be connected, I noticed that each person I talked to contradicted the last. It was very frustrating. One cast member put me on hold while she checked with her boss about my question and then came back on the line and said, "everything I just told you has changed and I didn't even know until now..." Then, when I got to the park, I was having trouble with the app and reserving my fastpasses. I had to wait in the guest relations line 5 times over the course of 2 days. The lines were huge b/c everyone was having so many problems - not very magical. I wasted hours... One of the things I always liked about Disney is how friendly and helpful the employees are. I think this new system has caused so much stress on visitors and employees alike that several employees were short with me and one was downright rude! The "magic" has been replaced by a cesspool of stress and anxiety. But to answer the post, I feel they should not limit the quantity of FP, and def. should not categorize them. Everyone wants to get a FP to Soarin AND Test Track - not either or. It is not so much to ask! And def. let people use FP at more than 1 park/day. And put more of those band readers at the main gates and at the rides. I wasted more time waiting in line b/c people ahead of me couldn't get the "green" light on the band reader. Once I almost missed my FP window, standing in line for 15 minutes just to enter the FP line at Star Tours. Bring back the magic, please!! I feel like my whole vacation was ruined by this new system.

DisneyJoe

Remove the tiers and 3-per-day/1-park constraints

I believe that eventually the 1 park per day constraint will go away. Disney's programmers couldn't handle programming more than 1 park per day, so I believe they took the approach of "hey, let's get 1 park per day working first, and then we'll modify the system to allow multiple parks per day"

Baby steps.

Granted, Amazon's or Ebay's programmers could have all of this done in record time with a screaming backend redundant system that would more than handle the load....

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It's really the only way to be sure....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 48

DisneyJoe

Only now, you've added the convenience of doing this from an app or centralized kiosks instead of having to run all over the park.

Not happy that we can't track people as closely now?

Why not? RFID ticket or MB - both would still need to be tied to a MDE account to be able to use the app or a kiosk - no tracking lost.

kondjott

Original Poster
Why not? RFID ticket or MB - both would still need to be tied to a MDE account to be able to use the app or a kiosk - no tracking lost.

No you're right, they would still be able to easily track what selections each person is making. I was referring to the fact that a big incentive for Disney in implementing FP+ was that they would know days or weeks *ahead of time* where people were planning to be on what days. This was saving them mountains of projected operating dollars by letting them allocate their resources more efficiently.

DisneyJoe

No you're right, they would still be able to easily track what selections each person is making. I was referring to the fact that a big incentive for Disney in implementing FP+ was that they would know days or weeks *ahead of time* where people were planning to be on what days. This was saving them mountains of projected operating dollars by letting them allocate their resources more efficiently.
Correct, it would remove that ability to project.

tk924

ALL resort guests should have tiers and 3/day limit removed, but no-no on the resort level tiering.

I guess in Disney time, this is all still pretty new and in a testing phase. Here's hoping that they don't make it worse.

MasterGracey82

I agree with what a few people have said above regarding fixing the back-end issues first then starting to tweak everything else.

I think that they need to allow people to reserve more than 3 FP+. 5 seems like it would be a good number. I think that will happen, but not right away. 3 seems like it was a jumping off point and will be modified later. Someone above suggested removing the 3 per day limit for guests staying on-site, however, there needs to be some sort of limit, and I think setting a hard number is the easiest way to do it.

I think Disney wouldn't hesitate to implement a tiered access system which allowed more FP+ for staying at higher category resort. I also don't think they would hesitate to implement a "pay to play" system where you could buy additional FP+ on a per day basis. I don't like those ideas, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's where it ends up. It's well within their rights to provide perks to entice people to spend more money with them but at the same time, that may cost them some return customers. Besides, they need to make up that $2 billion + somewhere, right?

I don't think that the one park restriction needs to be changed. If I'm park hopping that day, I'm most likely at the first park for rope drop when lines tend to be pretty short. FP+ wouldn't be necessary. I would only need it in the 2nd park because I'd be getting there around peak times.

I don't really like the idea of using the FP+ system like the original FP system as the OP suggested, just because I don't want to have to be looking at my cell phone every 90 minutes or so to get the next FP.

sm57co

Agree with Weather_lady. 3 isn't enough. Tier system for attractions also needs to go. And I am considering not doing park hopper in the future with the one park per day rule. We went last Oct and it was FP heaven. Testing FP+ preselections while simultaneously using traditional FP. Crowded parks but never waited more than 15 mins to get on anything. The parade FP+ worked great.

Will have to rethink a lot of the old school way of planning a Disney trip. I like everything else about the program though. Will gladly strap on a brightly colored tracking device wristband while on vacation. Disney can certainly use my info to try to market to me specifically. Ultimately, my spending is up to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom