Five existing in-park kennels to close when new facility opens this summer?

uklad79

They said when this was announced a couple of years ago the ones at the parks would close. I imagine it will save money as some of them must be staffed and hardly have any pets in them some days where as on busy days some must be full.

JonnyK

Guess they're closing it to save some budget while other staff can work at the new location? that's what im thinking.

Any Updated pics of the construction going on?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Well, I suppose it'll beat the kennels being the first/last thing I see when I visit Epcot.....

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
They said when this was announced a couple of years ago the ones at the parks would close. I imagine it will save money as some of them must be staffed and hardly have any pets in them some days where as on busy days some must be full.

Do you have a link for that one? I'd be interested to see.

This is certainly the first i have heard of it. The original release from Nov 2007 is here http://www.wdwmagic.com/Other/Kenne...kennel-operations-to-Best-Friends-PetCare.htm and does not make mention of them all closing.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Guess they're closing it to save some budget while other staff can work at the new location? that's what im thinking.

Any Updated pics of the construction going on?

It's just begun vertical construciton, couple of feet high right now.

Figment1986

It doesn't sound like a bad idea to close like the AK and studios ones... Epcot maybe but TTC seems to be busy often... What I don't really get is why Fort wilderness? People camp and bring pets to the sites (pre-approved ones) and then take their pets to the kenel and go to the parks and come abck and take them back to the site for the nights... now they want them to take them to the resort instead for when their owners visit the parks?

dreamfinder

I remember hearing this too. No idea where though.

frank2271

It doesn't sound like a bad idea to close like the AK and studios ones... Epcot maybe but TTC seems to be busy often... What I don't really get is why Fort wilderness? People camp and bring pets to the sites (pre-approved ones) and then take their pets to the kenel and go to the parks and come abck and take them back to the site for the nights... now they want them to take them to the resort instead for when their owners visit the parks?

I'm with you with this one, When we go to FW for our week of camping we bring our dog to the site from the kennel. Closing the FW kennel doesn't make sense.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm with you with this one, When we go to FW for our week of camping we bring our dog to the site from the kennel. Closing the FW kennel doesn't make sense.
The new kennel is right around the corner form Ft Wilderness. While it surely will not be as convenient as the one currently at Ft Wilderness it will only be about a 5 minute detour.

GOT2SAMMIES

excited

I am very excited about this new hotel opening up. However, I must say I am sad to see the other ones close. When we used them back in 08 our dog rode back with us from the TCC on the tram back to our car... Got a pic somewhere...and we were able to bring him past the gate at AK...... But now we can stay on property together and he will be well taken care of when we go to the parks and be "home" when we get back.... Before now the closest hotel that took pets is the Holiday Inn on 535 right outside DTD entrance..... :sohappy:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am very excited about this new hotel opening up. However, I must say I am sad to see the other ones close. When we used them back in 08 our dog rode back with us from the TCC on the tram back to our car... Got a pic somewhere...and we were able to bring him past the gate at AK...... But now we can stay on property together and he will be well taken care of when we go to the parks and be "home" when we get back.... Before now the closest hotel that took pets is the Holiday Inn on 535 right outside DTD entrance..... :sohappy:
This is not a hotel that takes allows you to have pets in the rooms. It is basically a much larger, better equipped kennel.

GOT2SAMMIES

Darn! I thought they announced awhile back ( I mean a long while back) they wanted to have a pet friendly hotel on property? You know come to think about it... 3 months is a short amount of time to build a hotel..... should've known better..... Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Tigger#1

not sure where the new kennel is located but how would someone get thier pet from FW to the kennel if it is not on site if they don't have a car?
Don't think I would want to pack up the MH every morning to take them.

bobaloo000

one of the reasons i go on vacation is to get away from my dog. I could not imagine taking that beast with me when i go to disney unless it was to leave him locked in the car while i visited the magic kingdom. Now that would make it the happiest place on earth!

Biff215

not sure where the new kennel is located but how would someone get thier pet from FW to the kennel if it is not on site if they don't have a car?
Don't think I would want to pack up the MH every morning to take them.

I imagine most people who bring pets are driving their own cars down. If you do fly with the pet then you would have to rent a car or find alternate transportation that would allow animals.

I think closing the park kennels creates a huge inconvenience to guests, although it seems clear that Disney wants out of this business. Consolidating the kennels to one site on the corner of the property is a smart move with that in mind. Now that space can be used for something else.

I am interested in what larger structure could go in front of Epcot that was mentioned above??? Any other info?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom