Fit2Run running superstore coming to Downtown Disney West Side this fall

Texas84

Smart. Pick up your last minute or forgotten gear for runDisney events. Vendors do big business at the expos but they can be a pain to get into.

JillC LI

I don't think I'd buy my running shoes from this store, but, I would be interested in some good looking Disney running clothes and accessories.

I think the store is an excellent idea, particularly during race events, but does anyone actually know if Disney-specific merchandise will be sold there, or will they just sell standard fitness clothing? Even though I am a runner, I probably wouldn't shop there on a Disney vacation unless I could get some nice Disney tech shirts, for instance. I got my last runDisney tech shirt at the ESPN shop on the Boardwalk.

I am willing to bet that anything rD related is going to stay at Team Mickey; keeps that money 100% in Disney's hands. They wouldn't make a profit selling anything through Fit2Run.

However, I think this is an interesting move. The Tower of Terror Expo and the upcoming Wine and Dine 1/2 marathon expo has a huge amount of dedicated space to Fit2Run. I am curious if Track Shack is going to let go with sponsoring/taking care of Disney races (Disney races have been Track Shack's baby), and hand over to Fit2Run. Just seems VERY strange, and VERY interesting timing to me.

If Fit2Run takes over taking care of rD races, then I suspect that they would begin selling rD merchandise in their stores.

pixargal

I think the store is an excellent idea, particularly during race events, but does anyone actually know if Disney-specific merchandise will be sold there, or will they just sell standard fitness clothing? Even though I am a runner, I probably wouldn't shop there on a Disney vacation unless I could get some nice Disney tech shirts, for instance. I got my last runDisney tech shirt at the ESPN shop on the Boardwalk.
I was wondering about this, too. We have many great running stores in our area, so I probably won't go unless I can buy a princess inspired running skirt, or something Disney specific, that I can't find close to home.

Disney Dawg88

Smart. Pick up your last minute or forgotten gear for runDisney events. Vendors do big business at the expos but they can be a pain to get into.

I agree with you. I stopped bringing Gu packs, etc. with me to Marathon Weekend a couple years ago, and bought them at the expo. This past January I couldn't find any vendors that had any Gu packs that I liked and was stuck buying something that I've never had before, which in this case isn't a big deal, but I went against the running rule of don't try anything you haven't done before for a race.

But it will be nice having that store there just in case. I wouldn't plan on buying anything else there though, in my experience of visiting two of their other stores, I found that they're very expensive on clothing and shoes. I can't imagine how much more they'll be marked up now that they're on Disney property . . .

JimboJones123

I agree with you. I stopped bringing Gu packs, etc. with me to Marathon Weekend a couple years ago, and bought them at the expo. This past January I couldn't find any vendors that had any Gu packs that I liked and was stuck buying something that I've never had before, which in this case isn't a big deal, but I went against the running rule of don't try anything you haven't done before for a race.

But it will be nice having that store there just in case. I wouldn't plan on buying anything else there though, in my experience of visiting two of their other stores, I found that they're very expensive on clothing and shoes. I can't imagine how much more they'll be marked up now that they're on Disney property . . .
They seem to be MSRP, just like most of the dedicated running stores out there. I rarely find discounted gear/shoes at any local running store. Maybe it is just where I live, but the MSRP rule is pretty much the standard in the running store market, I thought? You pay MSRP to help keep your local store in business. Just like any small business model. If you want big box prices, try big box, Amazon/Zappos, or the mall. They won't be able to provide you the same experience or expertise that your MSRP running store does.

scpergj

cool...another store for me!

Seriously, I'm looking forward to the day I'm ready to try one of the Disney run events. I'm getting there...right about a 10 minute mile for 3.6 today. Doing it again tomorrow, trying to hit 4 miles then.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
cool...another store for me!

Seriously, I'm looking forward to the day I'm ready to try one of the Disney run events. I'm getting there...right about a 10 minute mile for 3.6 today. Doing it again tomorrow, trying to hit 4 miles then.
It is good you are doing it properly. Seems that a good chunk of the field at runDisney events enter races barely able to make the 16min/mile pace.

Mad Stitch

I am willing to bet that anything rD related is going to stay at Team Mickey; keeps that money 100% in Disney's hands. They wouldn't make a profit selling anything through Fit2Run.

Disney is getting a big percentage of sales on every item in every store on property regardless if it's their merchandise/store or someone else's. They won't let an opportunity for profit slip through their fingers like that.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I've always wanted to start running - We don't have any stores around here (that I know of) that do the gait-analysis. I am curious about this store.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Interesting. Does Disney want to feature smaller stores that are targeted at specific demographics or is Fit2Run an outlier?

luv

I don't run. Even for those in tip-top health, Orlando is humid and has to be a bit of a challenge for runners except for winter. Runners might like it, though. :)

The store seems like a great idea, especially with a track to test shoes. You never really know how shoes will work until you begin using them. :)

It worries me, though. I'm wondering if all the stores will be things we can find in the mall. Why go to Disney when you could go to the mall?

I have high hopes for Disney Springs. I'm hoping it will be wide, open airy and pretty. I'm hoping the stores themselves will be large, uncrowded and have an excellent selection. I'm hoping we have cool stores that aren't already in the mall.

If it's going to be all the same stuff we already have in malls, I see no point, except possibly a larger selection.

PeterMarcus

The store opened today. I didnt see any disney merch, but i wasnt really looking, either. They have a foot analyser machine to look for pressure points, and a treadmill with a camera for gait analysis. Both were buggy today and crashed often. And, neither are more high tech than running stores in my hometown. Prices were high, but not outrageous. The same Nike gps sportswatch i run with was $134 and i paid $120 at home. Overall, the store was a lot smaller than i expected, but any runDisney participant will probably find the store interesting.

awoogala

too bad they don't carry altra's. Oh well, another store in downtown disney that does nothing for us. I wish it was more than a shopping Mall.

PeterMarcus

I don't mean to derail this thread, but if anyone is interested in running at all, look at runDisney.com. I started running last December and did the couch to 5k thing, and ended up setting a goal to run the tower of terror 10 miler, which I did a few weeks ago. The site will give you training plans even down to the nutrition if you want to go that far. The race itself was really cool, from the expo at ESPN to the race itself with fireworks and villain characters and running through HS at night, then the after party until 4am at HS. For those who think they have done it all at Disney, the runs and after parties are kind of unique events. There are elite runners who will do these races at 6 minute miles, but as Steve mentioned above, the vast majority don't come close to that. It's a fun thing to put on a bucket list.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The store opened today. I didnt see any disney merch, but i wasnt really looking, either. They have a foot analyser machine to look for pressure points, and a treadmill with a camera for gait analysis. Both were buggy today and crashed often. And, neither are more high tech than running stores in my hometown. Prices were high, but not outrageous. The same Nike gps sportswatch i run with was $134 and i paid $120 at home. Overall, the store was a lot smaller than i expected, but any runDisney participant will probably find the store interesting.
I believe the store is a pop-up and not a permanent - so may go some way to explaining the size etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom