first week in Dec?

cantGetenough

Thinking of going the first week in Dec? I've heard this is a good time to go because of the crowds being very low
, but of course I would have to take my kids out of school? Is it worth it?

moonwishes2013

We just got back from Disney World, right now my child is not in school, so this time it did not matter, but we want to go back, I will be taking her out of school because there is no way we could go during a school break, we can not handle large crowds. I think if you are prepared- ask for the lessons for the week, I do not see how it would be a problem. I am not a teacher & I know alot of them frowns on taking children out of school for anything but you have to do what is best for your family.

We had such a wonderful time, she has asked right away to go back!!

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

We went Dec 7-13....so just a hair after you're planning. It was more crowded than I'd anticipated, but the holiday decorations are very pretty and there are lots of fun little things that go along with going during the holidays.

Just make sure you find out about your school rules & state laws to make sure they don't present any problems. I know everyone has their own thoughts and feelings on this, but considering we've had 2 issues with our school & attendance over state laws and school rules...it's not fun. :( And if you knew how petty it all was, you'd be saying "you've got to be kidding me!!!"

Upvote 0

cantGetenough

Original Poster
We just got back from Disney World, right now my child is not in school, so this time it did not matter, but we want to go back, I will be taking her out of school because there is no way we could go during a school break, we can not handle large crowds. I think if you are prepared- ask for the lessons for the week, I do not see how it would be a problem. I am not a teacher & I know alot of them frowns on taking children out of school for anything but you have to do what is best for your family.

We had such a wonderful time, she has asked right away to go back!!
Thanks for the reply....we have gone during christmas break back is 09, the crowds were crazy, but we expected it to be that way. This time around I'm looking for a little less time spent in lines! Well that was a easy decision! Im going to book it this week! yay:)

Upvote 0

moonwishes2013

I would not count on Magic Kingdom having very low crowds, maybe somewhere in between, I talked to several CMs & they said that ever since the New part of FL opened the crowds have be larger than normal in the low weeks, They think more of the Flordia residents are coming to the park to see the new part.
I know we went to Magic Kingdom on a level 3 day & it was real crowded by noon. Now the other parks were not crowded, we did not have to wait to get on any rides.

Upvote 0

cantGetenough

Original Poster
We went Dec 7-13....so just a hair after you're planning. It was more crowded that I'd anticipated, but the holiday decorations are very pretty and there are lots of fun little things that go along with going during the holidays.

Just make sure you find out about your school rules & state laws to make sure they don't present any problems. I know everyone has their own thoughts and feelings on this, but considering we've had 2 issues with our school & attendance over state laws and school rules...it's not fun. :(
Thank you...I will find out the rules before I book.........

Upvote 0

bethymouse

WV has very strict attendance rules, however if you write a note about a "family issue" then it should be OK. When I took my kids out of school ( and I'm a teacher @ the school), I had to fill out an "educational leave" form for them! The teachers never looked at the journals written nor the videos taken of cultural aspects of the trip.:mad::( It was a whole other issue w/ myself and my principal- she was livid and said " I don't like it. I just don't like it!".:( We kinda "joke" about it now, but at the time, it was a big issue. I had leave w/o cause to take ( 5 days) and others have done it in the past.:confused:
In fact, we're going June 9-14. The kids are out of school, but not the teachers ( oops! forgot about the snow days!):oops: So... I will have to "pack up" my classroom and do the paperwork before June 7 ( which is an instructional service day- no students"). Teachers go until June 11!:eek: But, I am taking those 2 days as "emergency leave" which falls under "personal leave". Yes- strange I know!:confused:
Bottom line......
Go and enjoy your magical/unforgettable vacation to the Happiest Place on Earth!:D

Upvote 0

Hot Lava

I knew someone who had extended family with kids in a year 'round school system. I think they had 9 weeks on, 6 weeks off. Part of that off time hit in Sept/Oct. They loved it, and it obviously made it easier to go to places like Disney (which they did nearly every year). Yeah, it was kinda rotten being in school in the summer, but the pros outweighed the cons. I often wish that I could have kids in a school system like that. I don't even know if any do this anymore.

Upvote 0

cantGetenough

Original Poster
WV has very strict attendance rules, however if you write a note about a "family issue" then it should be OK. When I took my kids out of school ( and I'm a teacher @ the school), I had to fill out an "educational leave" form for them! The teachers never looked at the journals written nor the videos taken of cultural aspects of the trip.:mad::( It was a whole other issue w/ myself and my principal- she was livid and said " I don't like it. I just don't like it!".:( We kinda "joke" about it now, but at the time, it was a big issue. I had leave w/o cause to take ( 5 days) and others have done it in the past.:confused:
In fact, we're going June 9-14. The kids are out of school, but not the teachers ( oops! forgot about the snow days!):oops: So... I will have to "pack up" my classroom and do the paperwork before June 7 ( which is an instructional service day- no students"). Teachers go until June 11!:eek: But, I am taking those 2 days as "emergency leave" which falls under "personal leave". Yes- strange I know!:confused:
Bottom line......
Go and enjoy your magical/unforgettable vacation to the Happiest Place on Earth!:D
Thats funny! My brother-in-law is assistant principal at our school, Im sure I can get some kinda perk for that...maybe? Educational leave....I like that idea:)

Upvote 0

bsiev1977

Thinking of going the first week in Dec? I've heard this is a good time to go because of the crowds being very low
, but of course I would have to take my kids out of school? Is it worth it?
I've always said, it depends on your children. If they are good students, then don't think twice about missing a week of school.
If they tend to struggle with schoolwork, them you might think twice about doing it.

I'll be going the second week of December. Nice weather, Christmas decorations and events, perfect time to go.

Upvote 0

mamabunker

I've been twice in early December. I won't say it's not crowded, but it's less crowded than other times of the year. Last time I was there in December (2008) it was cool, temperature wise. I don't think I wore shorts all week. And the Christmas decorations are pretty.

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

The first two weeks in December are an excellent time to visit. Its certainly not "very low" as far as crowds anymore -- more like 40-50% capacity -- but that is still a huge difference from peek times of the year. I go every year the second week in December, and its a great week to go -- and apparently, parents have no qualms about pulling their kids out of school to go - the place is swarming with them.

Upvote 0

Mickey2minnie1

We had a great time! We went for 5 nights and I am a teacher that took my 3 personal days. It was magical.

I have no problem with kids leaving for vacations. It is when it is 3 and 4 times a year that it gets rough. We are a private school.

Upvote 0

smk

We never pulled the kids, not worth the hassles we would have gotten from their schools. We suffered thru many a spring break crowd and Christmas crowd and we LOVED it. I may be different than the rest of WDW fans, the rides don't mean a whole lot to me. Knowing in advance what we faced on those trips allowed me to scale back expectations.

First trip over spring break was commando, 5 days in WDW, 2 in Universal and we were exhausted. It felt a lot like work really, setting alarms and all. We learned a lot from that trip and if I wanted to go back at all, I had to re-adjust my expectations. My family just did not want to go go go all the time and I had to respect that. So over the years we developed what we did want from those trips. Many a trip we hit the parks after opening, came back to swim and maybe rode a few rides each day. We rented boats, went to the pool, shopped, resort hopped and the crowds did not bother us. After all the trips we have taken we are more satisfied with a slower pace anyway.

Upvote 0

Plutos Pal

We have been there during the first and second week of December over the last two years. The first week seemed more crowded then the second due to the filming of the Christmas Parade on the Friday and Saturday. MK was very crowded those two days. We avoided MK those days and hit the other parks. As for being there in December, we would do it every year if possible. The weather is usually good and the Christmas decorations add to the overall experience. Would definitely recommend this time of year to anyone.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom