First visit to DL - what not to miss?!

bigkevvo

Original Poster
Hi

I've got my first trip to Disneyland California next week from the UK and I can't wait!! I've visited WDW and Disneyland Paris so to see a third resort is really exciting!!

We go on 14th Sept for 9 days so we'll obviously see Fantasmic and the Fireworks... but what are the 'must see's' at Disneyland and CA?

Thanks!! :cool:

kev1000

sorry about going of your topic but
i am thinking about a trip here same as you i have been to dlp a few times
going to wdw in 08 for our 3 trip in as many years
so the next stop has to be disneyland
a trip report would be great.
give me a few pointers where to stay ect.

Hope you have a good time.

lilclerk

Space Mountain
Pirates (and if you can, try to have a meal in the Blue Bayou restaurant.)
Haunted Mansion
('kay I know those three are also in WDW, but they are MUCH better in DL.)

Also try Indiana Jones, Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and California Screamin' (in DCA.)

Those were my must-sees.

FYI, I went the first week of June this year, and saw pretty much everything I wanted to in less than 3 days. I didn't visit DTD or tour the hotels though. Disneyland is amazing and you'll have an awesome time seeing where the magic began =)

Nicole220

Yay for first trips!! :sohappy: Here's a list I made in another thread.

Rides:
Space Mountain- blows MK's out of the water! Since its renovation, the ride is smoother and feels faster.
Indiana Jones- can't even compare it to Dinosaur. The theming is fantastic and the ride is amazing!!
Haunted Mansion- better effects and quality than MK's
Pirates of the Caribbean- longer than MK's
Matterhorn
The Subs! The line seems to be a bit smaller than in the summer, so that's good.
Pirates Lair (Tom Sawyer's Island) Very neat and fun. Definitely worth checking out!
Alice and Wonderland and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride- darkrides that cannot be found in WDW.

Food:
Blue Bayou is pretty neat.
Napa Rose- best restaruant on property, and possibly the best on any Disney property!

Other:
Parade of Dreams- a great parade, I love it!
Remember...Dreams Come True- the best fireworks display Disney has created! This is not to be missed! The best seats are in the hub, right in front of the castle.
Fantasmic- a lot better than MGM's. If you watch the 9:00 showing, you can stay in your spot and have a great view of the fireworks.

DCA:
The Aladdin musical is great, I highly recommend this!
California Screamin' is a rollercoaster that is a lot of fun.
ToT does not have the 3rd dimension room, but is still fun. I'm one of the few who actually prefer this one to MGM's.
Soarin'- the same as Epcot's
Monster's Inc.- cute darkride
Grizzly River Rapids- fun, imho better than Kali.

Hope this helps! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! :)

bigkevvo

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your help!

Nicole2200 - thanks for your help! You're so lucky being so near the magic!! Have you ever taken the 'Walk in Walt's footsteps tour'? If so, what do you think - is it worth doing?

I'll definetely post you a trip report when I get back Kev1000!

7 days to go!

:king:

Nicole220

Nicole2200 - thanks for your help! You're so lucky being so near the magic!!
You're welcome! And yes, I am very blessed.

Have you ever taken the 'Walk in Walt's footsteps tour'? If so, what do you think - is it worth doing?
I have not, but hope to some day.

From what I've read, people love the tour. One of the best parts, from what I've read, was going into Club 33's lobby. Judging on the things that I have read, I would suggest taking it.

CThaddeus

The bad news: You probably won't get to do the original Haunted Mansion, due to its annual conversion to Haunted Mansion Holiday. However, the good news is, if you're still at Disneyland on Friday, Sept. 21st, it will reopen then with the HMH overlay. I highly suggest this attraction, as it is one of the best temporary conversions Disney has ever done. Expect insane lines, as it's sort of a Southern California tradition now, but they usually use Fastpass on it.
More good news: Don't miss anything. If you have the time at the Parks, do everything. You'll be going at one of the best times of the year. Right now, temperatures are dropping a bit, and while you may see quite a bit of rehabbing going on (check disneyland.com for exactly what will be down and when), there is still tons to do. I was there Wednesday and the lines were wonderful. In addition to what Nicole220 posted, I'd add these as don't miss attractions, too:

Disneyland
It's a Small World - In my opinion, better than WDW's.
Roger Rabbit's Car-Toon Spin - Tea cups meet a dark ride. Lots of fun!
Peter Pan - Incredibly beautiful.
Jungle Cruise - The original, and it has some new surprises.
The Enchanted Tiki Room - If you've only seen Under New Management, forget it. This is what the Tiki Room should still be at WDW, too.
Buzz Lightyear - Also better than Disney World's because you can actually remove your blaster from the holster.
The Railroad - Many might overlook this gem, but don't miss at least the final leg from Tomorrowland to Main Street. The Grand Canyon Diorama is a cool extra to what might seem to be just an everyday train ride.
Disneyland's First 50 Magical Years - If it's still there (there's talk of it leaving soon to bring back Mr. Lincoln), check it out. It's a stunning and humorous look at the history of Disneyland hosted by Steve Martin and Donald Duck.
Innoventions - Lots of people complain about this attraction, but it's a great way to unwind, watch all of Tom Morrow's spiels, and play a game or two. Check out Asimo if you have time, too!
Storybook Land - If it's open again (it's in rehab right now), definitely check this out. Disneyland Paris has something similar so if you liked it, you're sure to like this boat ride, too.

California Adventure
Muppetvision 3-D/It's Tough to be a Bug - You've probably seen them at Disney World, but in my opinion, they are amongst the best of California Adventure, too. I personally prefer them to most of the rest of the Park.
The Animation Building - Spend some time walking around this place. It is gorgeous and the Sorcerer's Workshop can really be addictive.
Golden Dreams - Another of those often-overlooked and completely underrated attractions. It may be about the history of California, but I think it's a very moving film. I'll be sad if it gets the boot, as I keep hearing it might.
Heimlich's Chew-Chew - This is a very short train ride, but I often find myself drawn to it. It has a silliness and fun to it that some of the other attractions in A Bug's Land lack.
The Main Street Electrical Parade - If it is showing one of the nights you're there, don't miss it. It may be 30 years old, but it's a parade that feel like it began just yesterday.
I'll be honest, I don't like any of the Tower of Terrors (nice theming, poor ride). But, like I said before, if you've got the time, check out everything. Even little shows like The Spirit of Brother Bear can be great if you love Disney the way I do. Have fun, and I'll see you there (if you're really unlucky!).

bigkevvo

Original Poster
Nicole and CThaddeus - thanks so much for your advice! We've purposely planned 21st Sept in DL for the Haunted Mansion overlay - I'll be sure to take some photo's! Unfortunately no Electrical Parade but still plenty more to see. I think I'm most excited about the fireworks. Nicole - I'll let you know how the Walk In Walt's Footsteps Tour goes.

5 days to go!

If ever you're ever over in the UK and you need advice on one of our theme parks, I'm 15 minutes away from Alton Towers - no where near as good as Disney but some great thrill rides!

Thanks again, if everyone in California is a friendly as you guys we're sure to have a great time! Might even see you there!!!

Kev :king:

Nicole220

Nicole and CThaddeus - thanks so much for your advice! We've purposely planned 21st Sept in DL for the Haunted Mansion overlay - I'll be sure to take some photo's! Unfortunately no Electrical Parade but still plenty more to see. I think I'm most excited about the fireworks. Nicole - I'll let you know how the Walk In Walt's Footsteps Tour goes.

5 days to go!
You are very welcome! I'm glad I could help.

The crowd levels during the weekdays are looking very light. Enjoy your trip, take lots of pics, and have fun! :)

Thanks again, if everyone in California is a friendly as you guys we're sure to have a great time! Might even see you there!!!
Awww, thanks. :eek:

And it is very possible our paths might cross. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom