First Trip to Wilderness Lodge! Tips Appreciated!!

jpeden

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
My wife and I are going to Disney for 2019 Food and Wine, and we are staying at the Wilderness Lodge for the first time. Help me get excited about it and and let me know any tips you may have!

Last edited:

zurgandfriend

I am guessing you fat fingered and meant to say 2020. The first time we entered the Wilderness Lodge we just stood there and looked up. It is quite a sight to see. Whispering canyon cafe is fun, better for breakfast or dinner. Take the boa t Vs the bus when you can we always enjoyed the ride.

plutofan15

Stayed at Wilderness Lodge on our trip at the beginning of this past February. I would make time to at least get a drink if not a meal at the Geyser Point Bar & Grill. Great setting on the lake and a good view of the Electrical Water Pageant. Roaring Fork quick service was very good; we ate both breakfast and lunch or dinner there on a few days. Aside from taking a bus to the water parks, waits for the busses did were not that long. If going to a water park, I would recommend either Uber or Lyft. The boat ride to the Magic Kingdom is nice and the boats make checking out either The Contemporary or Ft. Wilderness easy and fun. We boated over to the campground on evening for the Hoop-Dee - Do. Our room was on the sixth floor in the wing nearest to the boat dock with the balcony facing the lake. We could see the Magic Kingdom fireworks from the room and noise from outside was not an issue. I would take time to explore the grounds as they are wonderful. Enjoy!

jpeden

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Sounds like a very long wait. ;)
I am guessing you fat fingered and meant to say 2020. The first time we entered the Wilderness Lodge we just stood there and looked up. It is quite a sight to see. Whispering canyon cafe is fun, better for breakfast or dinner. Take the boa t Vs the bus when you can we always enjoyed the ride.

I fixed it to 2019! We aren’t waiting for 2020 or 2029 lol!!

Polite

My wife and I are going to Disney for 2019 Food and Wine, and we are staying at the Wilderness Lodge for the first time. Help me get excited about it and and let me know any tips you may have!
Love the Wilderness Lodge, one of my favorites! Set aside some time to hunt fun for the Hidden Mickeys in the lobby! As mentioned above, Whispering Canyon is a fun place for lunch or dinner, make sure you ask for some ketchup with your food!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Geyser Point is great. Get their burger - yummy. One of the best places to eat, drink, chill and watch sports on TV. And do eat breakfast at Whispering Canyons. The skillets are delicious.

There are tours of the facility - I've run into CMs leading guests around the property in the hallways. Ask at the front desk about them. Make sure to go over to Boulder Ridge (the original DVC property at WL) and see Walt's trains.

The lobby is stunning. Try snagging a chair in front of the fireplace. There's lots to do - bike riding, nice trail for walking, rent a boat, etc.

My favorite resort. And where I stay every visit.

nickys

Premium Member
Make sure to actually stay and watch the Geyser erupt.

Explore upstairs in the lobby. Rocking chairs, cozy nooks are perfect for coffee and cupcakes (from RoaringFork) or drinks, and you can see more of the huge totem poles from up there.

Go across to the BRV building to the Carolwood Pacific Room to see the pictures of Walt and his trains, along with some models.

Take the boat right around Bay Lake. It’s one of my favourite things to do.

Sadly the walking path to FW is closed because of the construction, or more accurately, ground clearance for “Reflections”. I assume that means maybe you can’t hire bikes any more, since there’s nowhere to go.

LAKid53

Premium Member

Explore upstairs in the lobby. Rocking chairs, cozy nooks are perfect for coffee and cupcakes (from RoaringFork) or drinks, and you can see more of the huge totem poles from up there.

Go across to the BRV building to the Carolwood Pacific Room to see the pictures of Walt and his trains, along with some models.

Sadly the walking path to FW is closed because of the construction, or more accurately, ground clearance for “Reflections”. I assume that means maybe you can’t hire bikes any more, since there’s nowhere to go.

I've stayed at WL for over 30 times. Finally saw the geyser erupt my last trip.

LAKid53

Premium Member

When I was there in February, people were still renting and riding bikes.

Shouldigo12

I second getting on the boat when possible. There's also this cute little lake/pond/ pool of water thing inside the lobby that's a very relaxing place to sit.

Oh, and when we went some ducks decided to join everybody in the pool and swim around. According to the cast members working at the pool that wasn't all that unusual. They were pretty chill and left once the pool filled up some more, but if anybody has a bird phobia or otherwise does not want to be that close to ducks it's a thing to keep in mind.

nickys

Premium Member
I second getting on the boat when possible. There's also this cute little lake/pond/ pool of water thing inside the lobby that's a very relaxing place to sit.

Oh, and when we went some ducks decided to join everybody in the pool and swim around. According to the cast members working at the pool that wasn't all that unusual. They were pretty chill and left once the pool filled up some more, but if anybody has a bird phobia or otherwise does not want to be that close to ducks it's a thing to keep in mind.

That’s where the stream rises inside the lobby to run down to the pool. It’s a gorgeous water feature, I love it!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Are you staying standard or woods view?

If woods view, I recommend the north wing just past the elevators. You get close proximity to the exit, the elevator, food and the boat dock.

jpeden

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Are you staying standard or woods view?

If woods view, I recommend the north wing just past the elevators. You get close proximity to the exit, the elevator, food and the boat dock.

We are staying standard view. Maybe we’ll get lucky and score some sort of upgrade - not counting on it of course but we can always be wishful!

KaliSplash

You will like this place a lot. While it is not the Grand Floridian or even the Contemporary, there is a Very wonderful, homey feel to the place. Great places to eat. Very good pool. Stunning lobby and grounds. Enjoy!

carriehpotter

I love Wilderness Lodge! I second everything that has been said here, plus I'll add:

1) Ask the concierge for the Hidden Mickey hunt. There's a sheet with clues on where to find them! They're all over the resort.

2) I like Geyser Point, but Territory Lounge is equally yummy! The drinks are to die for, and they usually have some very fun, unique small plates and appetizers!

3) Make sure to get a pic with the totem pole outside of the Mercantile--it's a WL rite of passage!

I hope you enjoy your trip and the Lodge!

righttrack

Leave some time to explore the property. The little corner and front lounges are really nice spots. Outdoors, look at the bunnies and other wildlife that roam. It's such a beautiful resort.

DISR

I second the Territory Lounge...one of my favorite hotel lounges on property. If you are an early riser, get your coffee and grap a rocking chair overlooking the lobby. It is fun to watch the hotel come alive in the mornings. The hotel shop has some fun-WL themed items to check out. I feel like I've teleported from Florida to the Western US every time I go down the drive through the pine trees and bear-themed signs. Take the park and resort launches to see a the different parts of Bay Lake, and treat the resort launch as an extension of the monorail...once you hit the Contemporary, it is easy access to the Poly and GF. We've had some luck in the past getting a sushi bar seat at the California Grill as a walk-in. Not something I'd try from AKL or an EP resort, but not too bad to roll the dice with a short boat ride.

Does anyone know if the nature view balconies have privacy barriers between each balcony? We usually stay at the Poly, but trying WL this October...thx

DISR

Yes. You can google for images and get a pretty good idea what to expect. There is some variation on the balconies, depending on the floor and area of the resort. Some of the top floor ones are more enclosed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom