First trip to Disney, dining plan worth it?

popcenturylover

T-Rex is slightly surprising, but MK is not.

You can keep trying back closer to your trip. T-Rex is one of the few restaurants at Disney I've repeatedly been able to do without a reservation, though generally I have to wait for 20 - 30 mins, but that's not a problem. There's a small play area called the "Bone Yard" and a "Build-a-Dino" (done by the Build-a-Bear people) gift shop there to keep the kids occupied during the wait, and they give you a pager (as you'd probably expect), so you can just wander around and the time passes by pretty quickly.

One quick note about ADRs...if you do NOT cancel them the day before (24 hours) because you changed your mind, or for whatever reason you fail to show...

You will be charged $10 per person on on the reservation to your credit card.

So, for DTD, if you really had your heart set on T-Rex, you may (note...MAY) want to cancel your Planet Hollywood ADR to give you the flexibility to see if they have any day of seating available.

There's enough at Disney Springs to eat that you will be able to get in SOMEWHERE...the question is where. That said, I've walked up to Rainforest, Planet Hollywood and T-Rex without ADRs in the past, and after a wait, been seated.

Also, if you really want a TS experience the night of Magic Kingdom, try looking at one of the monorail resorts (Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian). Ohana or Kona Cafe are both great food wise (at Polynesian), or Chef Mickeys(Contemporary) and 1900 Park Fare (Grand Floridian) as those are character meals.

It would be easy to leave the park say, around 6p, hop the monorail to one of those resorts, eat, and return to Magic Kingdom for the evening.

Since you got Memory Maker, I highly recommend you look into character meals for your TS experiences. Especially as you mentioned the 5 year old can be a bit choosy. A lot of the character dining experiences are buffets (Crystal Palace, Chef Mickeys, 1900 Park Fare, Akershus...though, that's only a partial buffet and it has Norwegian food like lox...mmmm....lox, Tusker House, Hollywood and Vine), and with your Memory Maker they pictures they take (when you show up, you'll get to pose for a special picture with the "host" character...so, Mickey for Chef Mickeys, Donald for Tusker House, etc., before being seated.)

Normally those pictures cost extra to purchase (around $25, iirc), but you'll get them for "free" with Memory Maker. A few character meals and some on ride photos, and you've paid for Memory Maker plus some!
You're right about Memory Maker except, that at Chef Mickey's you get a picture with a Mickey statue & not Mickey himself!?

Brandon barr

Original Poster
@englanddg I couldn't have said it all better myself! LOL.;) Are you sure you're not a salesman/spokesperson for Disney?;):p
That's what's I'm saying I would be lost without them!

I'm still so confused just because it's so much to take in at once. Is planet Hollywood good?

So I just have to cancel 24 hours before the reservation so you will not get charged.

Also since my uncle and his family are going there is 6 of them and 4 of us so maybe that's why I'm having a hard time getting a reservation for 10 people.

Would you think we will have plenty of time if plane arived on time at 5.25 pm we should be able to get to downtown disney by 8:15

I was looking at that crystal palace and we could get in there on that Thursday at 3:30 pm

englanddg

One Little Spark...
You're right about Memory Maker except, that at Chef Mickey's you get a picture with a Mickey statue & not Mickey himself!?
Really? I've only done it once, and while we had our picture taken with the statue, I assumed that Mickey was "taking a break"...(plus they were doing a show somewhere in the back of the restaurant...so, again, that's why I assumed that)

That's...pretty silly. You do get to see him later during the Meet and Greet part of the meal though.

popcenturylover

Really? I've only done it once, and while we had our picture taken with the statue, I assumed that Mickey was "taking a break"...(plus they were doing a show somewhere in the back of the restaurant...so, again, that's why I assumed that)

That's...pretty silly. You do get to see him later during the Meet and Greet part of the meal though.
Yeah, we just at there for our second time last month and.........it was just the statue!??You should get a picture with him being that it's his restaurant & all! It's great to see the fab 5 all through your meal though!!!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
That's what's I'm saying I would be lost without them!

I'm still so confused just because it's so much to take in at once. Is planet Hollywood good?

So I just have to cancel 24 hours before the reservation so you will not get charged.

Also since my uncle and his family are going there is 6 of them and 4 of us so maybe that's why I'm having a hard time getting a reservation for 10 people.

Would you think we will have plenty of time if plane arived on time at 5.25 pm we should be able to get to downtown disney by 8:15

I was looking at that crystal palace and we could get in there on that Thursday at 3:30 pm
Right. Cancel 24 hours before the reservation you think you don't want anymore, and you will not be charged. No show, or cancel within 24 hours (without a valid reason, like...one year, my kid got sick, and they waived the fees for me, cause...the LAST place she needed to be was in a restaurant!), and your credit card will get dinged.

Landing at 5:25, even if you are not picking up your checked bags (which, you don't have to do if you utilize the resort delivery option...but you may want to as you're arriving so late in the day, so...having your luggage handy may be a wise decision rather than waiting the few hours or so for Disney to deliver your bags to your room).

Anyhow, Magical Express should have you at the resort no later than 7p. From there, yeah, plenty of time to make an 8:15. If you are running a little late (10 - 15 mins) Disney won't mind. I would take the bus though, and not the boat. At least for this trip to Disney Springs (the boats shut down at dusk, I believe).

Planet Hollywood is...good. I have nothing negative to say about it. I've eaten there twice and the food was tasty and the decor (movie memorabilia) was interesting to look at (lots of actual props and costumes littered throughout the restaurant. If you are into that sort of thing, be sure to take a walk upstairs as well!).

T-Rex and Rainforest are better, imho. But, that said, you'll find I don't give them glowing reviews either (not because they are not good, but because I'm not a fan of the Landry's concepts...long story).

My kid loves them though.

Brandon barr

Original Poster
Awsome thanks. I will keep a eye out and see if I can get in and get me a reservation at t rex.

My friend is in disney world this week and he just went to chef mickey I seen lots of pics he shared to Facebook it looked like a good time. But isn't that on another resort to. I guess I'm just worried about time crunch and how you get to resort to resort and back to the park ect.

popcenturylover

Awsome thanks. I will keep a eye out and see if I can get in and get me a reservation at t rex.

My friend is in disney world this week and he just went to chef mickey I seen lots of pics he shared to Facebook it looked like a good time. But isn't that on another resort to. I guess I'm just worried about time crunch and how you get to resort to resort and back to the park ect.
Chef Mickey' s is in the Contemporary. Right next to MK so, you can either walk over or ride the monorail.

englanddg

One Little Spark...

It's at Contemporary.

disney-s-contemporary.jpg

If you are at Magic Kingdom that day, it's really easy to get there (and doesn't take very long at all...in fact, you have a few options even!)

So, you'd take the bus from Port Orleans to Magic Kingdom, then from there you can either walk the short (~10 minute) walk to Contemporary (yes, you can walk there from the bus stops, just follow the path that runs along the north end of the bus stop area, and it takes you right there).

Or, you can hike over to the Monorail Station at Magic Kingdom and take the resort monorail to Contemporary.

OR, if you really wanted, you COULD wait for one of the launch boats that will take you by water to Contemporary from Magic Kingdom.

IMG_7186-001.jpg

Basically, all of these transportation options are directly outside the gates of Magic Kingdom. So, if you imagine Magic Kingdom to the north, going from left to right:

Monorail Station (be sure to board the RESORT monorail, not the Express), Boat Docks, Bus Stations

The Contemporary is off to the right of the Bus Stations. So, if you are getting off the bus and want to go directly there, the fastest way is probably to walk, but there is something fun about riding the monorail into the Contemporary.

Still probably fastest just to walk...in any case, but if you are going from Magic Kingdom to Contemporary (like for lunch or dinner), and you happen to see a resort line monorail pulling up, or a boat at dock or docking, it could be a fun way to give your dogs (feet) a rest!

When you are done with the meal, it's easy to return back to Magic Kingdom, and from there you can go back to the park, or you can catch a bus back to your resort.

Last edited:

Brandon barr

Original Poster
Okay great deal. So would you say eat at crystal palace or eat at chef mickeys while I'm visiting magic kingdom..

Since my uncle and his family will only be in park for 3 days we are going to be with them on Thursday at magic kingdom, Friday at epcot and sat we will go to animal kingdom and Hollywood Studios. We will be there Sunday and Monday to so I'm guessing we will go back to the 2 parks we liked the most. But I guess I need to figure that out now to set up TS reservations.

What park would my 5 year old enjoy the most? He loves buzz and mickey both. He is not afraid of anything lol.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Okay great deal. So would you say eat at crystal palace or eat at chef mickeys while I'm visiting magic kingdom..

Since my uncle and his family will only be in park for 3 days we are going to be with them on Thursday at magic kingdom, Friday at epcot and sat we will go to animal kingdom and Hollywood Studios. We will be there Sunday and Monday to so I'm guessing we will go back to the 2 parks we liked the most. But I guess I need to figure that out now to set up TS reservations.

What park would my 5 year old enjoy the most? He loves buzz and mickey both. He is not afraid of anything lol.
MK is probably going to be his favorite, for a variety of reasons. The Buzz Lightyear ride is at Magic Kingdom. Though, the Buzz Meet and Greet is at Hollywood Studios.

If he likes Star Wars, then Hollywood Studios could come in a close second.

Which, brings up something else you may want to consider.

This is the Jedi Training Academy. It runs at Hollywood Studios.

It is a free experience, but you need to show up at Hollywood Studios WITH your child (it can be just one parent if you and your wife/smaller child want to meet up later)...show up BEFORE the park opens. Let them know you are there to sign up for the Jedi Academy, and they'll direct you to where the signups are (they used to be in the old Sounds Dangerous exit, but I'm not sure where they are now...probably still that spot, so it will be off to the left as you enter the park).

12 kids are selected for each showing, and there are a limited number of shows (5, I think, but don't quote me on that)...

It's first come first serve. So, that's why I say show up early!

When you sign up (and remember, the child MUST be with you to be signed up), you will be issued a return time for your show. Show up for that, and your kid gets to learn the Force (and you get some great home video trip footage!).

As a side note, if your show rains out (it happens), don't give up! I learned the hard way that they don't cancel the show, they just don't do the public performance, and they take the kids backstage at Star Tours (you can see the group from the queue in the line). So, still check in and your kiddo will get to experience it!

And yeah, a group of 10 may be why you had trouble getting T-Rex! Hahaha.

I'd call them a few days before your trip and check again then as people who are getting closer to their trips may shift around their ADRs as well.

You can always check randomly on My Disney Experience as well!

englanddg

One Little Spark...

I'd do Crystal Palace over Chef Mickeys. But, both are fantastic buffets and pretty restaurants with character interactions (so much better to see characters at character dines than wait in line at the meet and greets, imho).

You only have a limited time at the parks, so why wait for an hour to go to the character spot when you can have the characters come to you?

Crystal Palace has Pooh and Friends. Chef Mickey's is the Fab Five (Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Pluto, Minnie).

Brandon barr

Original Poster
Okay and I'm wondering if it has something to do with disney website or the app it took forever for it to finally show me that I could reserve the one that I did. Can you call and make reservations to?

I will try that To. On star wars I'm not sure if he will be interstellar he has never seen anything star wars before yet but I'll check into it and see of its something he may like.

Brandon barr

Original Poster
So is crystal palace better food and it's actually in the park the only thing is he loves mickey and has never seen poo bear that I know of haha.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
So is crystal palace better food and it's actually in the park the only thing is he loves mickey and has never seen poo bear that I know of haha.
Both are equally good buffets (that have slightly different offerings). Crystal Palace has a better location (as you don't have to leave the park), but not much of one (as noted, it's easy to go from MK to Contemporary and back...so, no biggie there).

It's a toss up to me. I'd let the characters decide it for you.

That said, while I just said that you may want to skip some of the meet and greets (and focus on character meetings with character dines)...but...if your son loves Mickey, then you really need to suck up the line and go see Mickey at Main Street USA.

It will be in the theater off to the right just as you enter the park. Look for the signs.

The reason is...this is where they have the fully articulated Mickey Mouse character meet. Only place on park you can meet a Mickey that really speaks with you!

I don't think he talks all day long, I really am not sure. But, if you stop by Guest Relations (across the street from the Theater, in the Firehouse, off to the left as you enter the park) they can tell you when the talking Mickey will make appearances.

Here...video describes better than words.

Waits vary for this, but plan on it being about 45 mins to an hour unless you hit it first thing in the morning, or much later in the day while a parade is going on or something.

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Okay and I'm wondering if it has something to do with disney website or the app it took forever for it to finally show me that I could reserve the one that I did. Can you call and make reservations to?

I will try that To. On star wars I'm not sure if he will be interstellar he has never seen anything star wars before yet but I'll check into it and see of its something he may like.
Yes. I don't mess with the site for ADRs, it's wonky.

Just call 407.WDW.DINE. They can do it all (including checking multiple restaurants and times) and link it to your My Disney Experience for you.

They are closed right now, but you can call anytime up until 11p Eastern (or maybe it's midnight, but pretty sure it's 11p).

Brandon barr

Original Poster
Yes. I don't mess with the site for ADRs, it's wonky.

Just call 407.WDW.DINE. They can do it all (including checking multiple restaurants and times) and link it to your My Disney Experience for you.

They are closed right now, but you can call anytime up until 11p Eastern (or maybe it's midnight, but pretty sure it's 11p).

Thanks again for answering all my questions I am sure I'll have plenty more by the time I get everything scheduled.

How many times have you been there..you know so much it's crazy haha.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Thanks again for answering all my questions I am sure I'll have plenty more by the time I get everything scheduled.

How many times have you been there..you know so much it's crazy haha.
I've been too many times to count. ;)

It's all in my signature (along with links to my 2013 and 2015 trip reports).

B.C. (Before Child)
1983 at Contemporary
1987 - 1996 (every year for 2 - 8 weeks, my grandparents lived in Florida)
2004 (Day Trip, I was in Orlando for other business)

A.D. (After Daughter)
2010 - Carribean Beach Resort (2 weeks)
2011 - Carribean Beach Resort (2 weeks)
2012 - Universal/Royal Pacific and Pop Century (19 days)
2013 - Disneyland Hotel, Disneyland, CA
2013 - Contemporary Resort, Disney Fantasy Cruise Ship, Port Orleans French Quarter, Legoland (20 days)
2015 - (coming in August) Universal / Portofino Bay, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Disney Fantasy Cruise Ship, Art of Animation (20 days)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom