First trip to Disney, dining plan worth it?

Brandon barr

Original Poster
Okay so we have planned a trip to Disney world on October 7th till the 13th. We have a 5 day park hopper pass. We will be in the park the 8th,9th,10th,11th,12th. Fly in on 7th and out on the 13th. We are staying at the port orleans resort riverside.

It will be my 4 year old son me and my wife. Also we will have a 3 month old at the time as well. Any tips or advice for my trip. I am considering adding the dining plan but is it worth it. My son don't eat much and is picky. Also how does it work does it make you pay for the we'd u get in and the tuesday we fly out ? Thanks.

Also our flight does not land in Orlando until 5:55 on wed and we will fly out at 12 noon on that tuesday

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Lets get some common terms out of the way.

Dining Credits - Disney Dining Plans include a certain number of credits, per person, per night of stay (hereafter pppn).

Snack Credits
- Redeemable for small treats such as cupcakes, ice cream, popcorn and drinks

Quick Service Credits
- Redeemable for an entree and dessert at fast food restaurants around the parks and at Disney Springs. (hereafter QS Credits)

Table Service Credits - Redeemable for and entree and dessert (and appetizer on Deluxe or higher plans) at Table Service restaurants (sit down restaurants) around the parks and Disney Springs. Table Service Credits may also be used at any Quick Service, if you so decide, but not vice versa (you can't use QS Credits at a TS restaurant). (hereafter TS Credits)

Refillable Mug
- These are chipped mugs...no, not like Chip from Beaty and the Beast. Disney Resorts have a control system on their beverage bars called RapidFill that reads an RFID chip in your mug and allows you unlimited refills during your stay, but not before or after. The mugs activate as soon as you check into your hotel and pick them up from the food court, and deactivate at midnight of the last day of your stay. Mug washing stations (small sinks) are available at the bars as well, so they are easy to keep clean. The mugs only offer refills at resort food courts that have beverage bars. Not hotel restaurants, and not at the Parks or Disney Springs.

There are generally two flavours that people get with Dining Plans (there are more options, but these are the most common). Either:

Disney Dining Plan (DDP) - ($60.04 per adult per night, $19.23 per child over 3 per night)
1 QS Credit per Night of Stay per Person
1 TS Credit per Night of Stay per Person
1 Snack Credit per Night of Stay per Person
1 Length of Stay Refillable Mug per Person

Deluxe Dining Plan (DLX) - ($109.53 per adult per night, $29.86 per child over 3 per night)
3 QS/TS Credits per Night of Stay per Person
2 Snack Credits per Night of Stay per Person
1 Length of Stay Refillable Mug per Person

Your 3 month old is not eligible for the Dining Plan (for obvious reasons, though the cutoff is age 3 years). The rest of you will get credits per night of stay. So, for a 6 night stay, you'll get...

DDP ($835.86 or around that will be your cost)
6 QS Credits per Person (18 total)
6 TS Credits per Person (18 total)
6 Snack Credits per Person (18 total)

DLX ($1493.52 or around that will be your cost)
18 QS/TS Credits per Person (54 total)
12 Snack Credits per Person (36 total)

All of your credits will become available for use as soon as you check into your resort, and will stay active for use until midnight of the day you check out. Also, while Disney doesn't really advertise this, the credits may be used at anytime during your stay by anyone. So, even though there are Child Credits vs Adult Credits (in price), in practice, the system doesn't know. The credits are assigned to a lump account that is linked to your room, and as a result may be used by anyone staying in that room at any time.

Your child will be limited at most restaurants to the children's menu (as most restaurants have a children's menu). My kid is ok with the stuff on the kid's menus (except Meaty Macaroni, she's not really a fan of that), but there aren't a lot of choices. Chicken Nuggets and the like are on some menus, but not all. So, it's something to consider. All current children's menus are available online at Disneyworld.com

The current costs are really something for you to figure out. You can come out ahead, but not necessarily.

Try using this site to play around with your dining options and the costs to see if it's a good value for you or not.

http://www.distripplanner.com/

While the plans cover the cost of food and non-alcoholic beverages, they do not cover the cost of tips at Table Service restaurants, or alcoholic beverages.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Brandon barr

Original Poster
Thanks for all that input it is very helpfull. Me nor my wife drink alcohol so we will not have to worry about that. Is the mugs something you can carry around with you to every place and what about on the rides??

I am trying to decide if it's worth it. Since my son don't eat much a kids menu will be great for him anyways. The 3 month old won't be eating food at that time anyhow. The one with the set down dinner at night is it limited in what you can order like under a certain price.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Thanks for all that input it is very helpfull. Me nor my wife drink alcohol so we will not have to worry about that. Is the mugs something you can carry around with you to every place and what about on the rides??

I am trying to decide if it's worth it. Since my son don't eat much a kids menu will be great for him anyways. The 3 month old won't be eating food at that time anyhow. The one with the set down dinner at night is it limited in what you can order like under a certain price.
The Refillable Mugs may only be used for Soda/Coffee/Tea (cold and hot) and other drinks on the beverage bars at the Disney Resorts. They are not about to be used at the parks. Also, since they don't seal well (though they do have a sliding cover) I don't take them to the parks with me, but plenty do. If you are driving to the parks (or renting a car), it's a non-issue because you can leave them in the car.

Rapid_Fill_Mugs.jpg

They are good for mornings (coffee, in my case) and for hanging around the resort pool and evenings (tea or coffee, in my case). But, have no use on the parks themselves.

As far as what the DDP gets you.

First, here's a complete list of restaurants where it is accepted.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/m...alog/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/PDF/2015Dining.pdf

But, if that's overwhelming, the general rule is that it is accepted pretty much everywhere on Disney Property.

However, some restaurants charge 2 TS credits instead of 1. They are listed on page 4, at the bottom. With the exception of Cindy's Royal Table (eating with the Princesses inside the Castle) and Dinner Shows (Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue, Mickey's Backyard BBQ and the Spirit of Aloha Luau), all the rest are really fancy "Signature" restaurants. Stuff you and your wife may enjoy, but probably not with the kids in tow.

However, your 3 year old might enjoy the Dinner Shows. But, you'll shell out 2 TS credits each if you use the DDP for them.

What you get at the rest of the restaurants is not price dependant. Though, some restaurants (like Les Chefs de France and Marrakesh) will limit what you can order, but not by much. You'll still have complete choice off the menu at most places.

You get with the DDP:

Breakfast
1 Buffet (TS credit only) or 1 Entree + 1 drink (TS and QS)

Lunch / Dinner
1 Buffet (TS credit only) or 1 Entree + 1 dessert + 1 drink (TS and QS)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
There is one cheaper plan I didn't mention called the Quick Service Dining Plan. Most people bump up to at least the DDP, as the Table Service options are a nice experience. But, I wanted to mention this option exists.

It gets you 2 QS credits and 1 snack per person per night of stay.

So, if you think that a more "fast food" style experience is better for your family / 3 year old than sit down Table Service experiences, you may find this is a better value.

It is $41.99 per adult per night, $16.03 per child per night.

Details here:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/m...altDisneyWorld/en_us/PDF/2015QuickService.pdf

Brandon barr

Original Poster
Oh okay so the mugs don't work in the parks but I guess with meal plan you would still get a drink in the park. I guess it would not be to bad to use 2 credits since we know for sure the last day we will not be getting g to use the dinner credit since we fly out so early.

This is just so much to take in at once haha. I hope it turns out to be a good time.. Thanks again for your help and I'll check out the link.

Disneydreamer23

I think it depends on the family. I like it for convenience and I am never hungry! I would always suggest the DDP unless you are like my parents they eat a cupcake for breakfast and then dinner . If you are some one like them I would NOT suggest it! Have fun in Disney!

popcenturylover

Well, we have used the dining plan on all but, our trip last month.(wanted to see how it would add up oop) We used the QS twice & the regular plan once. On this last trip we paid oop & spent about $100 dollars more than the QS plan, excluding 2 TS meals. We did have alcohol & some apps at Trader Sams.(which wouldn't be covered on the dining plan anyway) So, in my opinion it is worth it. Especially, if you use the regular plan & eat at the more expensive TS meals.

Brandon barr

Original Poster
Thanks we are excited. My 4 year old just can't wait he don't understand how far October is away haha. We are not really breakfast people at all.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Oh okay so the mugs don't work in the parks but I guess with meal plan you would still get a drink in the park. I guess it would not be to bad to use 2 credits since we know for sure the last day we will not be getting g to use the dinner credit since we fly out so early.

This is just so much to take in at once haha. I hope it turns out to be a good time.. Thanks again for your help and I'll check out the link.
No problem.

Where I'd start before deciding on the if the dining plan is right for you, actually, is this order:

1) Decide which parks you'd like to visit each day (you'll need to do this anyhow to make FP+ reservations)
2) Decide what restaurants at each park interest you

Then go to that Dining Plan Calculator site I linked and it will do the financial breakdown for you once you have that information at hand.

Also, if you find you are short on credits, (with the DDP you won't have 3 meals a day)...generally it's financially best to pay for breakfasts out of pocket. They are the cheapest meals.

For a 3 year old boy, some restaurants I'd suggest:

Magic Kingdom
QS - Cosmic Rays - It has an animatronic show (think Chuck E. Cheese) that he should find amusing to watch as he eats

TS - Crystal Palace - Buffet Meal with Winnie the Pooh Characters

Epcot
QS - Anything, really

TS - Garden Grill - Rotating Restaurant and a character meal with Mickey and Pals
TS - Coral Reef - "Undersea" restaurant where you can watch the fish swim by in the worlds 3rd largest saltwater aquarium (it was the largest until the GA Aquarium opened up)
TS - Biergarten - Buffet with Dinner Show (a Polka Band, but even if you don't like Polka, these guys are great to watch)

Hollywood Studios
QS - Anything, really

TS - Hollywood & Vine - Character Meal with Playhouse Disney characters like Handy Manny (Breakfast and Lunch Only)

Animal Kingdom
QS - Anything, really

TS - Tusker House - Character Meal with Donald and Pals

Downtown Disney

QS - Anything, really

TS - Rainforest Cafe - Animatronic animals come to life every few minutes to make you feel like you are dining in a Rainforest
TS - T-Rex - Animatronic dinosaurs come to life every few minutes to make you feel like you are dining with the dinos. Every so often the Countdown to Extinctions happens and you can witness a live meteor shower!

Resorts
QS - Anything, really

TS - Chef Mickey's - Contemporary Resort - Buffet with Chef Mickey and Pals
TS - 1900 Park Fare - Grand Floridian - Buffet with various classic charachters
2 TS - Hoop Dee Doo - Ft. Wilderness - Classic vaudevillian style dinner show and lots of audience participation
2 TS - Mickey's Backyard BBQ - Ft. Wilderness - BBQ with Mickey and Pals
2 TS - Spirit of Aloha Luau - Polynesian Resort - Outdoor Luau with dancers and fire twirlers

Last edited:

Brandon barr

Original Poster
Well, we have used the dining plan on all but, our trip last month.(wanted to see how it would add up oop) We used the QS twice & the regular plan once. On this last trip we paid oop & spent about $100 dollars more than the QS plan, excluding 2 TS meals. We did have alcohol & some apps at Trader Sams.(which wouldn't be covered on the dining plan anyway) So, in my opinion it is worth it. Especially, if you use the regular plan & eat at the more expensive TS meals.
So do you usually get the plan where you can have a set down dinner?

Brandon barr

Original Poster
No problem.

Where I'd start before deciding on the if the dining plan is right for you, actually, is this order:

1) Decide which parks you'd like to visit each day (you'll need to do this anyhow to make FP+ reservations)
2) Decide what restaurants at each park interest you

Then go to that Dining Plan Calculator site I linked and it will do the financial breakdown for you once you have that information at hand.

Also, if you find you are short on credits, (with the DDP you won't have 3 meals a day)...generally it's financially best to pay for breakfasts out of pocket. They are the cheapest meals.

For a 3 year old boy, some restaurants I'd suggest:

Magic Kingdom
QS - Cosmic Rays - It has an animatronic show (think Chuck E. Cheese) that he should find amusing to watch as he eats

TS - Crystal Palace - Buffet Meal with Winnie the Pooh Characters

Epcot
QS - Anything, really

TS - Garden Grill - Rotating Restaurant and a character meal with Mickey and Pals
TS - Coral Reef - "Undersea" restaurant where you can watch the fish swim by in the worlds 3rd largest saltwater aquarium (it was the largest until the GA Aquarium opened up)
TS - Biergarten - Buffet with Dinner Show (a Polka Band, but even if you don't like Polka, these guys are great to watch)

Hollywood Studios
QS - Anything, really

TS - Hollywood & Vine - Character Meal with Playhouse Disney characters like Handy Manny (Breakfast and Lunch Only)

Animal Kingdom
QS - Anything, really

TS - Tusker House - Character Meal with Donald and Pals

Downtown Disney
QS - Anything, really

TS - Rainforest Cafe - Animatronic animals come to life every few minutes to make you feel like you are dining in a Rainforest
TS - T-Rex - Animatronic dinosaurs come to life every few minutes to make you feel like you are dining with the dinos. Every so often the Countdown to Extinctions happens and you can witness a live meteor shower!
Thanks so much for all your help and typing up such informative post. I got allot of research to do..so since I have already reserved my stay and started paying on it do I just call and add the dining plan of I want to do that. Do you suggest leaving parks or just stayin in one park? I did get the park hopper pass but o will be there for 5 days.

popcenturylover

I'm sorry, we used the regular dining plan twice & QS once. Yes, the regular dining plan is 1 QS, 1 TS & 1 snack per day & the QS dining plan is 2 QS & 1 snack per day.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Thanks so much for all your help and typing up such informative post. I got allot of research to do..so since I have already reserved my stay and started paying on it do I just call and add the dining plan of I want to do that. Do you suggest leaving parks or just stayin in one park? I did get the park hopper pass but o will be there for 5 days.
You may add the Dining Plan anytime before 24 hours (or something like that) before check-in.

If it's after your final pay-off date, however, you will be asked to pay for the upgrade in full. If you add it before your final pay-off date (like say, later this week), you won't be asked to pay anything now, and can wait until your final payoff date.

For a first trip with kids that young, I wouldn't hop all that much. It's more of a hassle for you and there's plenty to do, even in the smaller parks. However, that's based on my kiddo (who I didn't start taking until she was 5). Your 3 year old will be too short for some of the rides. Also, you may want to head back to the resort mid-day for a nap. And, if so, you may enjoy the hopping benefit after nap time (you'll also enjoy the resort mugs, for you and your wife, as the kiddo's recharge).

Something else to look at, due to when you are going...I'd strongly suggest you look into the Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party.

During your trip it will be running on Oct 8, Oct 9, Oct 12.

It is a ticketed event. Basically, they shut down Magic Kingdom at 7p, and only those with Party Tickets can stay afterwards.

The prices are:

Adult $74 advance price, $79 day of price
Child $69 advance price, $74 day of price
*note, I am fairly certain your 3 month old will not need tickets...the age for ticket requirements starts at age 3.

Your kid can dress up in a halloween costume for the park (it's encouraged) and gets to go trick or treating at Magic Kingdom, they have special characters, fireworks and parades, etc. It's a lot of fun (though, I say that, I've never had the chance to go, but people always rave about it).

If you do NOT do it, it's also something to consider that Magic Kingdom will shut down at 7p for non-ticketed guests on those dates, so you should plan accordingly.

One other note...while there ARE in-room childcare options available, your 3 month old is too young for them. They start at 6 months of age. Though, come to think of it, if your 3 month old is 3 months old...right now, he/she may be old enough come the trip.

If so, here's details on that.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/child-care-services/

So, you may wish to take advantage of this if you and your wife would like to take a few hours to experience a nice dining experience, or if you decide to do the Halloween Party, but think that it may be a bit much for the 3 month old (then 6+ month?) to handle.

Last edited:

Brandon barr

Original Poster
So is it something where I should cancel the park hopper pass? Good think about my 4 year old is he grows like a weed he is 4t inches tall right know and is not scared of a thing he rose almost every ride they would let him on at the carnival a few weekends ago.

So on that not so scary thing do you just do it one night or tgat one ticket covers all the nights?

Also didn't note this he will be 5 in august so he will be 5 at the time we go.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
So is it something where I should cancel the park hopper pass? Good think about my 4 year old is he grows like a weed he is 4t inches tall right know and is not scared of a thing he rose almost every ride they would let him on at the carnival a few weekends ago.

So on that not so scary thing do you just do it one night or tgat one ticket covers all the nights?

Also didn't note this he will be 5 in august so he will be 5 at the time we go.
Oh, duh! I got it in my head he was 3! 3 years, 4 years...what's the difference (except potty training and a bunch of inches?! Hahaha

As far as the hoppers, while it's up to you, personally, I'd cut them. But, that really depends on what you guys plan to do. For a first trip you'll find that even the smaller parks (what regulars or frequent visitors term "half day parks", which are Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios) will still have plenty for your family to see and do. And, if you find yourself without something to do after a park closes, the hotel has nighttime activities (movies, pool games, marshmallow roasts) and there's always Disney Springs (nee Downtown Disney) which has a ton of activities and shopping.

So, I'd save that money myself on a 5 day ticket. But, again, that really comes down to what your family wants to see and do each day (again, that's where I'd start...what parks, what day).

Myself, I'd do it this way.

Day 1 - Fly in, hang out at hotel
Day 2 - Magic Kingdom - Mickey's Halloween Party
Day 3 - EPCOT - See Illuminations
Day 4 - Hollywood Studios - See Fantasmic
Day 5 - Magic Kingdom - See Wishes and Main Street Electrical Parade (the traditional nighttime shows)
Day 6 - Animal Kingdom - Disney Springs at Night?
Day 7 - Fly Out

Or something like that. So, no need for hoppers.

The Halloween Party tickets only cover that night. So, if you do it two nights, you'll need two tickets, one for each night. Also, those tickets are NOT in lieu of Park Admission during the day, so you'd still need your normal ticket.

Last edited:

popcenturylover

We went to the MNSSHP on our trip in 12'. Our DD was a month shy of 4 & she LOVED it! The parade & Hallowishes are the best parts! Trick-or -Treating at WDW is pretty fun too!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I should add, because it popped into my mind...

Park Hopper allows you to leave one park and enter another on the same day.

It does NOT prevent you from leaving a park (say for an afternoon naptime) and returning to that same park later. You can do that with regular tickets only.

Wasn't sure if you were aware of that. If you were, sorry, if not, hope it helps!

Brandon barr

Original Poster
I should add, because it popped into my mind...

Park Hopper allows you to leave one park and enter another on the same day.

It does NOT prevent you from leaving a park (say for an afternoon naptime) and returning to that same park later. You can do that with regular tickets only.

Wasn't sure if you were aware of that. If you were, sorry, if not, hope it helps!
Yes that is the one thing that I was understanding lol other then that I am confused. But my uncle and his family is going that Wednesday as well and are leaving on Sunday so will only be in park 3 days and they have the park hopper so I've decided to just keep it and use it in case.

Another question. Is any of the parks like walking distance or are they all far away from each other? We are staying at Port orleans resort so I figure we ride a shuttle from resort to parks and is it a shuttle from park to park and will my wife just hold the baby in the shuttles or do we have to lug a car seat all over haha. Thanks again everyone for all the help. Much appreciated.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yes that is the one thing that I was understanding lol other then that I am confused. But my uncle and his family is going that Wednesday as well and are leaving on Sunday so will only be in park 3 days and they have the park hopper so I've decided to just keep it and use it in case.

Another question. Is any of the parks like walking distance or are they all far away from each other? We are staying at Port orleans resort so I figure we ride a shuttle from resort to parks and is it a shuttle from park to park and will my wife just hold the baby in the shuttles or do we have to lug a car seat all over haha. Thanks again everyone for all the help. Much appreciated.
The shuttles are like city busses. You won't need a car seat.

disney-bus.jpg

They go from resort to parks, but not from park to park. Though, they do go from Park to Disney Springs / Downtown Disney.

So, to go from park to park, you'd need to "resort hop"...meaning, you take a bus to a resort (any resort) and then take a bus to another park from there.

That said, a few parks do have direct transit to each other (just not by bus). They are Magic Kingdom to EPCOT (through the Monorail) and EPCOT to Hollywood Studios (through the Friendship Boats).

disney_friendship_boats.jpg

From the Port Orleans resort you will also have the option to take a boat (or a bus) to Disney Springs.

POR04.jpg

None of the Parks are within walking distance from each other. As far as resorts:

The Contemporary is within walking distance of Magic Kingdom.

The Boardwalk / Swan / Dolphin / Yacht and Beach Club all are within walking distance of EPCOT (though from the Swan/Dolphin, it's a bit of a hike)

Boardwalk can likewise, though it's a hike, walk to Hollywood Studios

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom