First trip report - Feb 9-23, 2013

Ok all, first time poster here who tried to keep it brief (but as can be seen by the length of this post failed - sorry!!)

Anyhow, my wife, 2 daughters (aged 7 and 4) and I travelled from Nottingham in little old England for 14 nights at Wilderness Lodge on above dates. Speaking to various CM's during our stay I think we, as Brits got a decent package deal, being 14 days unlimited park passes (MK, AK, Epcot, HWS and Typhoon Lagoon), dining plan (again 14 days) and other (benefits!) bus transportation, EMH etc.

As first time visitors to Orlando/Florida although based at WL (and focued on Disney) we also visited Legoland, Seaworld, Kennedy Space Centre, Cocoa Beach, Mall @ Millenia, Downtown Orlando (including Orlando Magic game v Bobcats on 19th). However as this is a Disney forum I'll not dwell on these off site attractions other than to say that Legoland was fantastic for the girls, Space Centre abit boring (even for a sci-fi nerd like me), Kraken and Manta coasters at Seaworld were the best I rode all vacation (controversial I know!) and the Magic game was great - although we were surrounded by Brazilians and home team didn't seem to be particularly skilled !

We (or more accurately I - as designated holiday planner) had decided in advance not to visit Universal or Busch Gardens (usual stops on a Brits itinerary in Florida) as I felt we just wouldn't have the time! We can do them next time if we ever return (sadly this is unlikely to be for at least 4-5 years I suspect).

WL was a delight (from lobby to pool, to Whispering Canyon, to quiet bedroom, view of Wishes Fireworks (Courtyard room 6419 facing MK), mousekeeping and concierge service and especially boat to MK (particularly during beautiful sunset on last night - an image that will stay with me for a long-time). Truly brilliant accommodation!

Whilst we visited each of the other three parks (AK, HWS, Epcot) and Downtown at least twice (combination of half and full days) -and Typhoon once - MK was undoubtedly our focus.

I'll come to MK soon enough but non-MK (Disney) highlights included Fastpass system (what a brilliant invention if used effectively), Soarin, Beauty & Beast stage show (HWS), unexpected behind the scenes tour of aquarium at Nemo in Epcot (we just got talking to a CM and she invited us up, girls being presented with ray teeth!!), Star Tours 2, Spaceship Earth (eldest daughter loved it!), Lion King at AK (brilliant!), Honey I shrunk the kids play area at HWS (unexpectedly). Also girls got to meet Pooh, Tigger, Eyeore, Pochahontas, Mulan, Russ & Doug, Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Daisy, Mary Poppins, Mad Hatter, Alice, Ariel, Belle, Aurora and Snow White (phew!) before we even got to MK. All this with very little waiting (due to a combination of pre-booked character dining and in-park planning).

Side note: despite being a first-timer (now with badge to prove it) I got ridiculed by my family for my military-like preplanning months in advance (180+10 etc) - at least they had the courtesy to say thank you as we waltzed passed 1-2 hour queues (rides and restaurants) to have some of the bext experiences of their lives.

Non-MK dining highlights included Boma at AKL, Mary Poppins breakfast at Grand Floridian, Donald character lunch at Tusker House in AK, lunch at Via Napoli and dinner at Coal Reef in Epcot, a surprisingly good English Fish & Chips at ABC Commissiory, T-Rex at Downtown and Princess lunch at Akershus.

Non-MK lowlights (not bad just not A-team or as good as we were expecting) - Fantasmic (sorry just didn't do it for us), Sci-Fi diner at HWS (uninspiring food - worst table service meal we had), Illuminations (seemed stale - when was the last time it was changed/updated?), Toy Story Mania ride (ok but not worth the 2 1/2hr wait on standby - we fastpassed!), Mission:Space (only me - dizzy afterwards but I suppose I was warned in advance), Rainforest Cafe at AK (strangely no atmosphere).

With regard MK I had intentionally pre-booked an early (before park opening) breakfast at Cinderella's Royal Table for our first full park day. For the girls first experience of MK to be a walk up a near-deserted Main Street USA and then to have breakfast in the Castle genuinelly was the stuff of dreams. My heart was lost (although my head was telling me to go and get a FP to Space Mountain before the crowds descended!) - You'll be pleased to hear the heart won!

Over the next four visits (of varying length and at different times of the day) my youngest fell in love with IASW (we rode it at least 10 times), we covered most the favourtite rides for their age group (Dumbo, Little Mermaid, Tales with Belle, Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, Aladdin, Buzz Lightyear, Monsters Inc Laughter (particular highlight!), etc etc. I'd score new FL 8 out of 10, probably a 9 when rest opens. We got to meet Merida and Fairies (Tink and Periwinkle) and my wife's favourite (because Flynn Ryder was with her! - we were there on Valentines) Rapunzel.

We saw Wishes twice (not counting view from WL), once from by Carousel in centre of FL and second on Main Street in front of Castle. For me FL was better viewing location - being in the middle of the action had a special feeling, and we could get first ride on Carousel when it re-opened. Decent food in Tony's, OK food in Columbia Harbour House. Twee but (just) acceptable side shows at Tiki Room, Jungle Cruise and Bear Jamboree - did them when every else was too busy.

MK disappointments - Pirates (out of action - alot!), Splash Mountain closed for refurb (but I did know this in advance).

In conclusion, whilst there were some things that could have dampened the mood (1) some large crowds, (2) lots of noisy Brazilians, Argentinians and twirlers (is that the right name? particularly 'Fifteens' in HWS) and (3) our one encounter with Disney transportation (ridicously oversubscribed, very rude driver - we used hire car most the time) our visit was, without doubt, the best thing we've ever experienced together as a family.

With some prior research and planning the possible minor negatives became irrelevant and for all those (on this board and elsewhere) that have allowed such les to shake their belief I am overjoyed to be able to say that (in this little part of England at least) the magic lives on!!

DisneyDebNJ

Firstly, let me say Welcome to the Boards!!! Thank you for sharing your vacation details :) So sorry for the let downs during your trip, but hoping the highlights played it down :) Unfortunately, tour groups can be a hassle, and crowds... well, shows you how much people love visiting Disney!! (Maybe in your future trips, you can schedule during the fall months, lots going on, crowds alot less, weather, outstanding, and you can experience the Food and Wine Festival and Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party!! (Affectionately referred to, here on the boards as MNSSHP) We look forward to hearing about your future planning and visiting posts :) Once again, welcome to wdwmagic :)

Zipadeelady

Thanks so much for sharing....always good to here all the great things still at Disney. Gets disheartening sometimes with the negitive comments that come across the boards from time to time. :)

Figgy1

Premium Member
Welcome and glad you had such a good time.:) This is a Disney fan sight but feel free to let us know about the rest of your trip sometimes some of us venture to other places in central Fl. so any feed back on those is appreciated!:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom