First Trip Need all the Help I can Get

jennyt00

I am taking my first trip to WDW The first week in Dec. Am going with Mom, Dad, Sister, Brother-in-law, and nephews. We are staying at The All Star Movies Resort. I hope in the Toy Story Building, (It's my Newphew's favorite movie). I'm trying to find out all the info I can on where to eat, when do go to what parks. Is it true the parks aren't open as long in December? Any info and advice that can be given will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

tazhughes

First piece of advice is buy a travel guide. The most popular on the board seems to be the Unofficial Guide, though the Passporter is half decent too.
After reading that, you'll probably have some specific questions that members of this board will be able to help you with.

Upvote 0

Noah&Emily'sMom

Congratulations on your first trip :cool: . If you have never been to the world, I would reccomend buying Birnbaums book on Disney World. They print a new edition every year, they don't really change too much from year to year, but I buy a new one each year and keep it as a souvinear of my trip. There are editions for with kids, without kids and for kids by kids. Any or all of these books should be able to help answer your questions.
My best piece of advice would be don't carry too much with you to the parks:p
Usually you bring way more than you need and then fight over who is going to carry the bag (that you didn't really need anyway)

Have a great trip and don't forget you don't have to do everything together!!!

Upvote 0

Steve-B

First trip suggestions

My wife and I took our 2 girls in 2000 (ages 11 & 13 at the time) and stayed in the All-Star Movies Resort, which everybody loved. The rooms are not any bigger than something like a Days Inn, but they are themed for that extra Disney touch. We ate our breakfasts in the food court, as well as most suppers, and even though the room was crowded in the morning, the food was pretty good, so the overall experience was good. I would suggest buying the refillable mugs you find there; they make nice souvenirs, and, if I remember correctly, refills are free. We went in June, so I can't comment on weather or crowds for December. The one place I can make a strong recommendation for hamburgers is in the Pinocchio Village Haus (I think that's right) in Magic Kingdom, within sight of Cinderella Castle.

If you haven't already, check out: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/index . You can build an itinerary for your trip, and get information on just about anything at WDW.

Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

barnum42 said:
Get ready for the Birnbaums V Unofficial guide debate :lol:
:sohappy:

jennyt00 - Welcome to WDWMagic - As has already been suggested, buy yourself ONE of the above books (I'm not adding fuel to the fire but I think the Unofficial Guide is best). The 2005 editions have been available since January and in book terms are as up to date as you'll get. Having read your chosen book you can then search the web or ask specific questions on here for up-to-the-minute information.
Enjoy your trip

Upvote 0

tazhughes

Birnbaums is just Disney propaganda, they only give you the information that Disney want's you to have and no more (imho) than the Disneyworld website. Go with the unofficial for actual suggestions that may be worth following. But again once you have read one and have a general idea about the parks and your trip fire away specific questions on this board and you will get more information then you could possibly imagine.

Upvote 0

DisneySam

Welcome JennyT00! I have pretty much the same suggestions as everyone else, but wanted to add [if it hasn't been already] make a tentative schedule of what you plan to do each day. I do that just to make sure I don't miss the particulars. Otherwise, I end up doing the "zig-zag" through the parks all day and missing stuff.

The all stars are cool, thats where we stayed the 1st time I went [music.] It was perfect for us since we were only there to sleep it seems! And yes buy the mugs, we have used ours everywhere it seems!

Have a GREAT TRIP! :wave:

Upvote 0

NeedABreak

Liek the others said Unofficial guide is going to have more facts in it (its thick as a phone book) but either book will help you get an idea of what to expect.

As for general advice:
If your going with kids go back to your hotel room for a nap (for everyone) When your exausted it just won't be fun.

Try new things (diffrent foods deffinitly)

Get to the parks before they open!

HAVE FUN :sohappy: :lol: :sohappy: :wave:

Upvote 0

Tiggerluver

Definitely get the Unofficial Guide. Also, go to www.allearsnet.com , as it has great information too. Allearsnet also has a listing of all restaurants in WDW, including counter service with menus and current pricing. This will allow you to see exactly what you want head of time and you know how much everything will cost. Hope ya'll have fun!!!!

Upvote 0

wdwishes2005

Noah&Emily'sMom said:
Congratulations on your first trip :cool: . If you have never been to the world, I would reccomend buying Birnbaums book on Disney World. They print a new edition every year, they don't really change too much from year to year, but I buy a new one each year and keep it as a souvinear of my trip. There are editions for with kids, without kids and for kids by kids. Any or all of these books should be able to help answer your questions.
My best piece of advice would be don't carry too much with you to the parks:p
Usually you bring way more than you need and then fight over who is going to carry the bag (that you didn't really need anyway)

Have a great trip and don't forget you don't have to do everything together!!!

yes thats the best advice, and the things new people do most! when we first started we brought all sorts of junk in the park with us, and now the only things i take are my wallet AP and room key, and maybe my pins. how old is your nephew? does the family like thrills? how long are you down? what is yor budget like? ect. i just need some info and ill put down all of my tips/tricks

Upvote 0

jennyt00

Original Poster
I have 2 newphews, 5 & 1. We have booked the package with the food included or at least counter service meal, full service meal, and a snack. We are about half and half on thrills. Dad has bad back and has had surgery, so that kinda slows us down also. Not sure on budget. I guess the more money I can save the better. We are going for 7 nights have 7 days of tickets. Ariving on Sat. Morning, leaving the next Sat. Morning.

Upvote 0

wdwishes2005

1.the child swap is a lifesaver, i would use it as much as possible
2. you have seven days, in a not very busy season, you don't need to really rush things, you should be alright with time.
3.i highly suggest stopping at a publix/goodings or some other grocery store, and getting snacks, pop and maybe bagels or something for breakfast.
4. if you have the dining plan make reservations at some of the nicer restaurants on the dining plan.
5.carry as little as possible to the parks.
6. use alot of sunscreen, the sun is brutal, and having a bad sunburn the duration of the trip.
7. i might think of more later, but the MOST important tip is to HAVE FUN!!

Upvote 0

rob45

Bring winter and summer clothing. My last visit to WDW was the first week in Dec. 2002 and the weather was warm some, then it would turn cold. The Christmas decorations are up and they are beautiful. Try to get tickets to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. It was a blast. The crowds are somewhat small and waits are a minimum. :xmas:

Upvote 0

jennyt00

Original Poster
We are flying down and are being transported by Disney, and haven't been planning on renting car. What is the transportation like? And is a Taxi reasonable enough to get to publix?

Upvote 0

tracyandalex

onr thing that we have some to enjoy is the pachage delivery service. when you buy something in the world you can have it delivered to your room so you don't have to carry it around with you. take plenty of breaks & have a blast

tracy & alex

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom