1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

First Timer

Discussion in 'WDW Parks General Discussion' started by RaulnAmy, Mar 15, 2017.

1. figmentfan423

figmentfan423 Well-Known Member

I miss that and just being able to walk up to a TS restaurant

Phonedave likes this.
  2. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Welcome, and be prepared to be overwhelmed! WDW is a wonderful place, but as others have noted, it does take some research and planning. But, you don't have to get into too many details in planning to still have a great trip.

If it were me, I would do just MK and AK. Start with MK on day 1, do AK and day 2 (be sure to take time to walk the trails and see all of the animals), and MK to wrap up the vacation on day 3. Use FP+ for the must do attractions at MK - 3 each day, booking them as early as allowed for offsite guests. Be sure to check out height restrictions and get input from the kids on what they want to do.

For a first time trip with only three days in parks, I would not do a hopper. There is so much to catch the attention of children at HS and Epcot, and so much walking to do, I think your kids might be disappointed in missing some attractions. Plus, when you hop, you can only get FP+ for one park or the other. You have to use up all three FP's before you can get others - one at a time. Not to mention the transportation time between parks will limit what you have time to experience.

Also, I think you mentioned having a tom-boy and a princess... The tom-boy might love to spend time on Tom Sawyer Island at MK (both of my girls enjoyed this when they were young. Maybe one of you could visit the island while the other goes with your princess to a meet-n-greet.

And, check out the menus of places to eat, especially at AK - lots of different food types other than just sandwiches. MK will be easier - more fast food-like locations. Best to be prepared and know where is a good place to eat, so you are not wandering around looking for the right food, whilst the kids are struggling to contain their death-by-hunger ;-) The parks are HUGE and finding all of the places to eat and menus that will appeal to picky eaters will be so time consuming, you don't want to wait until you are at the park to decide where to eat.

Lastly, know that you won't be able to do everything. Prioritize and make sure you have a plan (FP+) to hit the must-do attractions. And, have a great time!

figmentfan423 likes this.
  3. Phonedave

Phonedave Well-Known Member

You could do it on your cell phone back then too. But it involved dialing a number, and then actually talking to an other human being. What a concept.

4. figmentfan423

figmentfan423 Well-Known Member

But who would have carried a brick around EPCOT:hilarious:

5. Phonedave

Phonedave Well-Known Member

Bag, not a brick. I actually had a Motorola Bag Phone. The thing used to put out 3 watts at the antenna.

Actually though, around the time that EPCOT had those screens where you could make dining reservations, you could get phones such as the StarTac - you paid $800 1997 dollars for a CDMA flip phone, but they were avaiable.

-dave

6. righttrack

righttrack Well-Known Member

3 Days is a lot of pressure for newbies, so do your planning now. Get your fastpasses going on rides as soon as they open up. The the My Disney Experience on your phones so you can do that and also reserve a table service meal. I'm going to suggest that you look into the following meal experiences:

O'hana - Polynesian family feast, with games for the little ones
    1900 Park Fare - Buffet meal with princesses (Cinderella is present and while the castle is nice, it books 6 months in advance)
    Crystal Palace - Buffet meal with Winnie the Pooh and Friends

Schedule these meals for early breakfast or for dinner, except Crystal Palace which is in the Magic Kingdom park and can work for any meal.

Make your fastpasses for rides. Do all of the dinner reservations now and the fastpasses. Some people just are happy with counter-service/quick service meals but when you're on vacation there are fun dining experiences here that require the advance reservations, many of these things book 3-6 months out so you may have to keep trying.

As for the parks, familiarize yourself with the maps.