First timer at Uni! Tips?

awoogala

Original Poster
We hit Disney every year, but on our first trip I read loads of tips, and got things right the first time, with reservations, fp, etc.
I am wondering if anyone has some awesome tips I need to know for our first trip to Universal?
We are a family of 4, staying at Royal Pacific for all the on site perks.
My daughter (8) will not go on any thrill rides, my son (10) will go on most, but maybe not all of the BIG coasters. I am a Harry Potter fanatic, and we all love the Simpsons. We will be there for 2 days.
Thanks in advance for any and all ideas!

magicallactose

I agree about going to Potter first thing. But go back and experience it after dark as well. The whole area looks amazing at night, also crowds tend to thin out towards the end of the day there.

JillC LI

There is an interactive show at Ollivander's Wand shop. One person (usually a child) gets chosen from the audience of about 20+ people to participate and be chosen by a wand. If you are interested in the show, go straight here first upon early entry to IoA - even before going to Forbidden Journey - because the line moves very slowly. Our DD was a Potter fan, and I told her to stand up front and look really eager, and sure enough, they chose her to participate. It was very exciting (until I had to buy the wand at the end to keep her happy! LOL). There is so much to see in the WWOHP after you finish the rides. The appearance and ambience is so true to the story. You will love it!

Oh, we also stayed at RPR last December, and I couldn't' seem to find information anywhere about where we could grab breakfast before 8am opening since the places on Citywalk are not open that early. Let me tell you that there is a little open air cafe in the lobby area of the hotel that sells breakfast foods including muffins, cereal, hard-boiled eggs, etc. The boat ride to IoA from the hotel is really lovely in the morning. Give yourself lots of time so you can get in as soon as they open the gates. And if you want to have a change of clothes for wet rides or a jacket in case it's cold, I suggest you bring that stuff with you and put it in a locker rather than thinking you're close enough to run back to the hotel to grab those items. You should be able to everything you want to over the course of 2 days.

afar28

Use the resort perks deinately. Resort guests are allowed entry and hour earlier, so use that and go straight to Potter. I'd go on Forbidden Journey first since it has no express pass so you should try to get on when it's not to crowded.

awoogala

Original Poster
There is an interactive show at Ollivander's Wand shop. One person (usually a child) gets chosen from the audience of about 20+ people to participate and be chosen by a wand. If you are interested in the show, go straight here first upon early entry to IoA - even before going to Forbidden Journey - because the line moves very slowly. Our DD was a Potter fan, and I told her to stand up front and look really eager, and sure enough, they chose her to participate. It was very exciting (until I had to buy the wand at the end to keep her happy! LOL). There is so much to see in the WWOHP after you finish the rides. The appearance and ambience is so true to the story. You will love it!

Oh, we also stayed at RPR last December, and I couldn't' seem to find information anywhere about where we could grab breakfast before 8am opening since the places on Citywalk are not open that early. Let me tell you that there is a little open air cafe in the lobby area of the hotel that sells breakfast foods including muffins, cereal, hard-boiled eggs, etc. The boat ride to IoA from the hotel is really lovely in the morning. Give yourself lots of time so you can get in as soon as they open the gates. And if you want to have a change of clothes for wet rides or a jacket in case it's cold, I suggest you bring that stuff with you and put it in a locker rather than thinking you're close enough to run back to the hotel to grab those items. You should be able to everything you want to over the course of 2 days.
Thank you! exactly the info I need! Too bad adults aren't chosen often for ollivander's...I am so much more a fangirl than my kids ;)

luv

Relax. Uni doesn't require the planning insanity, the running back and forth all over the parks or a bunch of ADRs.

Chill out. You can sleep in and still go on all the popular rides...except Harry Potter, which is best done early or at closing time, to avoid the line.

Have fun. All the pressure is off. You get to do what you want, when you want. :)

Enjoy!

I like Pastamore and Margaritaville a lot, but everyone has their own favorites. Just pick what you want to do. :)

awoogala

Original Poster
I NEED to see Potter. Total nerd girl moment. My children have been advised they can see simpsonville- after I get my Potter fix...lol I also will visit margaritaville ..I like my tiki drinks, and that seems to be the place for it! Kids are excited about the simpsons, though!

71jason

Relax. Uni doesn't require the planning insanity, the running back and forth all over the parks or a bunch of ADRs.

Chill out. You can sleep in and still go on all the popular rides...except Harry Potter, which is best done early or at closing time, to avoid the line.

Have fun. All the pressure is off. You get to do what you want, when you want. :)

Along these lines, stop and take in the little details. Don''t rush past a small path because it doesn't lead to a "ride"--you'll miss things like "If I Ran the Zoo" or the Jurassic Park "Discovery Center." IoA especially is not a commando-style park.

Ginzuishou

That's a gooooooooood tip. Explore everything. On one trip I found the Jurassic Park playground and had so much fun (climbing, exploring, shooting random strangers with water). I totally missed it the first time I had gone.

HTF

Great info and 100% agree!!

TheMackMachine

Oh, and I did get an adr for mythos, just in case....;)

Especially if it is a busy day at IOA, it is a good idea to get a reservation for Mythos. Unfortunately with a reservation at hand, I had to wait 30 minutes for a table. It was packed in June of 2012 when I went, and without the reservation, I would have waited more than an hour. Talk about the most popular restaurant in UOR.

Also a good tip you might want to consider if you want to do the water rides at IOA. On my last trip there, I did the Wizarding World during Early Park Admission. I stayed at Portofino Bay BTW. After doing all of the dry rides there and eating at Mythos, my family and I went back to our hotel, got our bathing suits on, and went back to IOA to do the water ride marathon (Dudley Do-Right, Popeye, and the Jurassic Park River Adventure). We put our money and phones in a locker, and we got drenched on each ride. You get drenched in the front row of JPRA, but not so in the back/middle.

One more thing, if you are going to see the Cinematic Spectacular at the Studios, my favorite spot is in between New York and San Francisco. Make sure you get there at least 10 minutes before it starts. It's a great show.

BryceM

Along these lines, stop and take in the little details. Don''t rush past a small path because it doesn't lead to a "ride"--you'll miss things like "If I Ran the Zoo" or the Jurassic Park "Discovery Center." IoA especially is not a commando-style park.
Great tip! Camp Jurassic is another great place to explore.

TuffyCatt

It's been over a year since I've been to Universal, but one thing I really liked, especially if you're a Potter fan (which I am as well), is that you can do a queue only visit for Forbidden Journey. This is especially great if you get on Forbidden Journey early, and you end up walking through the queue very quickly and don't get to look at or listen to all the details. All you have to do is ask the attendant at the entrance of the line to do the "castle walking tour" of the queue and they'll tell you which way to go and you can take all the time you need! The queue is amazing and has some fantastic effects, so definitely worth a little extra exploration.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom