First Time Visit

Hula Popper

Original Poster
Some quick initial thoughts on a first time visit. Only had one day, and had previously purchased Express passes to maximize opportunity to see as much as possible in both parks, but then the day (this past Sunday) ended up being a complete washout so attendance was generally very light.

Great
1. Diagon Alley themeing (just wish it wasn't pouring so could enjoy more leisurely walking around) and cast members
2. Forbidden Journey
3. Spiderman ride
4. Views of Hogwarts castle in Hogsmeade
5. First train ride from park to park
6. Outside and queue themeing of King Kong

Very good
1. Revenge of the Mummy (the first part with the Mummy and the later parts with the Mummy and fire great, but roller coaster/Space Mountain like portions a little disappointing given hype of overall attraction).
2. Gringott's (family loved it and would say it was great - I thought themeing was great, but the actual ride experience was a little disappointing to me).
3. Despicable Me
4. Hulk coaster
5. Simpson's land themeing

Good
1. ET
2. Pre-show for Shrek
3. Hippogriff (great for kids)
4. Leaky Cauldron (solid food for an amusement park)

Good but disappointing
1. Actual ride portion of Reign of Kong
2. Jurassic Park River Adventure (would have liked a more intense dinosaur experience)

Bad
1. Simpson's ride - a crazed mess on the screen and a ride that made me more sick to my stomach than any ride I've ever been on?!?
2. Shrek actual show - tremendously noisy motors for the seat movement, poorly executed tricks

Ugly
1. Lockers for Gringot's and Forbidden Journey - even on a slow day, there was no room to move around anywhere. Some might say, why bring bags you'd have to put in lockers then? Well, we have kids and it was pouring rain all day.

Things I'm most disappointed to have missed out on (cold and rain, lack of time, or closed):
Monster Cafe
Horror Make Up Show
Transformers
Barges
Ripsaw Falls
Rockit Roller Coaster (closed)
Poseidon Fury
More time for wandering the two Harry Potter lands

Other:
Thought the City Walk area looked fun.
The Marvel land looked eh.
The toon land had a lot of neat comics and cartoons represented.

The weather and our limited time certainly dampened (no pun in intended) the experience somewhat. Many of the attractions were still very enjoyable. The themeing of the two Harry Potter worlds and the King Kong attraction were amazing. Forbidden Journey and Superman were great rides. Revenge of the Mummy was also very strong, though didn't quite live up to what I had heard. Overall, was a bit heavy on motion simulators and screens. I'd like to go back again when weather is better and have more time.

I will say for my me, and my family members all said the same, for as good and impressive some of it was - and the Diagon Alley theming was just absolutely stunning - for us, it just wasn't Disney World and didn't have the same magic. Which is fine, because it's different and it's fine to be different. I can understand why many others would prefer Universal - it really comes down to personal preferences and other things. And that's why I don't get caught up in the so-called rivalry.

JoeCamel

Some quick initial thoughts on a first time visit. Only had one day, and had previously purchased Express passes to maximize opportunity to see as much as possible in both parks, but then the day (this past Sunday) ended up being a complete washout so attendance was generally very light.

Great
1. Diagon Alley themeing (just wish it wasn't pouring so could enjoy more leisurely walking around) and cast members
2. Forbidden Journey
3. Spiderman ride
4. Views of Hogwarts castle in Hogsmeade
5. First train ride from park to park
6. Outside and queue themeing of King Kong

Very good
1. Revenge of the Mummy (the first part with the Mummy and the later parts with the Mummy and fire great, but roller coaster/Space Mountain like portions a little disappointing given hype of overall attraction).
2. Gringott's (family loved it and would say it was great - I thought themeing was great, but the actual ride experience was a little disappointing to me).
3. Despicable Me
4. Hulk coaster
5. Simpson's land themeing

Good
1. ET
2. Pre-show for Shrek
3. Hippogriff (great for kids)
4. Leaky Cauldron (solid food for an amusement park)

Good but disappointing
1. Actual ride portion of Reign of Kong
2. Jurassic Park River Adventure (would have liked a more intense dinosaur experience)

Bad
1. Simpson's ride - a crazed mess on the screen and a ride that made me more sick to my stomach than any ride I've ever been on?!?
2. Shrek actual show - tremendously noisy motors for the seat movement, poorly executed tricks

Ugly
1. Lockers for Gringot's and Forbidden Journey - even on a slow day, there was no room to move around anywhere. Some might say, why bring bags you'd have to put in lockers then? Well, we have kids and it was pouring rain all day.

Things I'm most disappointed to have missed out on (cold and rain, lack of time, or closed):
Monster Cafe
Horror Make Up Show
Transformers
Barges
Ripsaw Falls
Rockit Roller Coaster (closed)
Poseidon Fury
More time for wandering the two Harry Potter lands

Other:
Thought the City Walk area looked fun.
The Marvel land looked eh.
The toon land had a lot of neat comics and cartoons represented.

The weather and our limited time certainly dampened (no pun in intended) the experience somewhat. Many of the attractions were still very enjoyable. The themeing of the two Harry Potter worlds and the King Kong attraction were amazing. Forbidden Journey and Superman were great rides. Revenge of the Mummy was also very strong, though didn't quite live up to what I had heard. Overall, was a bit heavy on motion simulators and screens. I'd like to go back again when weather is better and have more time.

I will say for my me, and my family members all said the same, for as good and impressive some of it was - and the Diagon Alley theming was just absolutely stunning - for us, it just wasn't Disney World and didn't have the same magic. Which is fine, because it's different and it's fine to be different. I can understand why many others would prefer Universal - it really comes down to personal preferences and other things. And that's why I don't get caught up in the so-called rivalry.
Fair, too bad you didn't get the Makeup show, it is a gem.

Weather_Lady

I think my family would concur with most of your assessments, OP!

I also appreciate that you went in with an open mind and were okay with the fact that Universal is different from Disney World. Although the comparison is made constantly, it really shouldn't be, because Disney and Universal offer two very different experiences, at two very different price points. I can go to the poshest farm-to-table restaurant in my area, eat a $150 five-course meal that takes all evening with amazing wine pairings, and say, "that was a really great meal." I can also go to the greasy spoon diner down the road, have a burger and a beer for $15 in under an hour, and say, "that was a really great meal." While in both cases I left completely satisfied, with my expectations met and feeling that I'd gotten my money's worth, the experiences weren't sufficiently similar to be compared, and it would be unfair to do so. They're both great in their own way, and I enjoy what each one has to offer. I guess that's how I see WDW and Universal.

Last edited:

lebeau

It's very natural to compare Disney and Universal because despite their differences, there really isn't anything else that compares to them. Sea World is the next closest thing.

At a very high level, Disney is bigger and more elaborate than Universal. Everything is more spectacular. And therefore, more crowded, complicated and expensive. Universal is a smaller operation that does a lot of the same things on a reduced scale. The shows, parades, etc are not as elaborate as what Disney puts out. But as a result, you don't have to deal with throngs of people competing for a good spot. It's a trade-off. If you really want the big spectacle and you don't mind all that comes with that, you will probably prefer Disney. If you would rather not fight the crowds and can accept something a bit more modest, Universal is going to be a lot less stressful.

Then there's "Disney Magic" TM. I'm not going to attempt to define what that is. To some people, it's nothing more than a cynical brand. But to a lot of other people, it's a very real thing that they can't get enough of. They will pay any amount to get their fix. To my mind, Disney Magic (TM) addicts are what has ruined the WDW experience. People who are willing to pay any price or who extol the virtues of a Disney-themed cupcake above all other baked goods allow Disney to charge more for less which has slowly eroded the value I used to find in the place. They are the reason Disney can't have characters roaming the parks the way Universal can and why you have ridiculous waits for things that should barely have lines. You know what, don't get me started.

But whatever it is, "Disney Magic" (TM) is unique and you can't get it anywhere else other than Disney theme parks. If that's your thing, Universal will never scratch that particular itch. (On the other hand, if you're like my wife you can't wait to get away from that cheesy nonsense.) I personally like the DM (TM) experience, but it's a tradeoff I am willing to make. Any time I think about returning to WDW, the thought of scheduling everything out, dealing with Disney transportation and prices, etc. For me, it's more than I want to deal with.

There's no right or wrong answer. Your preferences are your own. Both resorts have their advantages and drawbacks. There's plenty of reason to enjoy them both.

Last edited:

macefamily

Disney is a brand that has appeared on our TV screens for decades. I remember the Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights as a kid. It was magical. I wanted to go to the park, but I didn't have the chance until I was married and 27 yrs old. But it still had that magical feeling because it was like a fantasy. I can tell you that it irritates me at times now in my older age. Crowds, prices, Disney snobs, irritating people. But I still go every year.
Universal is a park born from movies. It's more geared to teens and adults. There are choices for the young ones, but it's a park where you can buy a beer or a mixed drink during your day. I also like that I can walk everywhere. I don't have to take a crowded bus or sit on a smelly monorail to get to another park. You still have to deal with the crowds and irritating people. I guess I'm getting grouchy in my old age.
Each park has its own brand. I don't really prefer one over the other. Love Epcot and the festivals there. Love Universal and Horror Nights. It's a matter of taste. Each appeal to different people for different reasons.

JillC LI

Don't feel bad about missing Transformers. In my family's opinion after having ridden it in December, you would have to add another category to your list: Horrendous. If Simpson's made you nauseous, Transformers made us ill for hours. We hated every moment of it. Sounds like you had a full and fun-packed day though which is great.

JoeCamel

Don't feel bad about missing Transformers. In my family's opinion after having ridden it in December, you would have to add another category to your list: Horrendous. If Simpson's made you nauseous, Transformers made us ill for hours. We hated every moment of it. Sounds like you had a full and fun-packed day though which is great.
Um, if you rode Spiderman you did xformers and vice versa. Was this case? I agree on Simpsons but xformers and spidey are the same ride in different parks like Indy and Dinosaur are in AK and out west.

JillC LI

Um, if you rode Spiderman you did xformers and vice versa. Was this case? I agree on Simpsons but xformers and spidey are the same ride in different parks like Indy and Dinosaur are in AK and out west.
We had ridden Spiderman on two previous visits and thought it was mildly nauseating but not horrendous. We did Transformers early in the day on this trip and felt so ill that we decided to skip Spiderman, so I never rode them side by side. Now that you say it, I can definitely see the similarity, so maybe it was the particular images and sounds on Transformers that put us over the top. I also found Indy out west to be less jerky than Dinosaur although I know they are essentially the same ride.

Jon81uk

We had ridden Spiderman on two previous visits and thought it was mildly nauseating but not horrendous. We did Transformers early in the day on this trip and felt so ill that we decided to skip Spiderman, so I never rode them side by side. Now that you say it, I can definitely see the similarity, so maybe it was the particular images and sounds on Transformers that put us over the top. I also found Indy out west to be less jerky than Dinosaur although I know they are essentially the same ride.

I didn't get nauseous, but I did find Transformers very confusing and disorientating comparted to Spider-Man which felt clearly and with a better plot. Maybe just slightly smoother motion and less throwing around in the plot makes the ride feel better.
I could ride Spider-Man over and over again, but Transformers is once a trip and done.

lebeau

I didn't get nauseous, but I did find Transformers very confusing and disorientating comparted to Spider-Man which felt clearly and with a better plot. Maybe just slightly smoother motion and less throwing around in the plot makes the ride feel better.
I could ride Spider-Man over and over again, but Transformers is once a trip and done.

Same.

JohnD

While I enjoyed many of the attractions the last time I went (over the holidays), there are just too many motion simulator rides. My neck was bothering me for more than a week. I have plans for a trip back to WDW in late April. Was going to start it on 4/27 for an Orlando Informer meetup but was able to get better rates for a trip starting 4/29, missing the meetup. To be honest, I'm not exactly going to miss it.

Last edited:

JohnD

Also, if you rode Kong, there is no need to ride F&F. Besides, Kong is a much better attraction and F&F is really that bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom