First time renting DVC points

GrimGrinningGhost15

Original Poster
Recently priced out a stay at WDW and about choked when I saw the final cost... with that a friend suggested looking into renting DVC point. From what I've quickly read on this forum it sounds like most people that are renting, have done so several times.

We are wondering, what are the must knowns for going this route? Do you really save as much money as they say? If you do rent points, how does that work with transportation from the airport/dining plans/buying park tickets?

We have always done the traditional booking everything through Disney, but they seem to be pricing my husband and I out!

FCivish3

Hi. It can be a very good thing to rent from and owner. But you want an owner who is experienced and who has rented multiple times. You can also rent through an agency, but the rental agencies charge a bit more. They do a good job, and if you can't find an owner, you could try them, but they do charge a bit more.

Keep in mind that if you want a popular season, such as from October through December, it is already gone (mostly booked up), as of now, when we are in February. Right now, in the Fall Food and Wine Festival period and holiday period, there is moderate availability for Old Key West and Saratoga Springs, Kidani Village also has some good blocks available, but most of the other resorts are pretty spotty right now. Whatever IS available in the Fall, will be gone very soon. So, the point is, if you want a popular time, you should book out as close to 11 months as possible. BUT, ALSO KEEP IN MIND, MOST AGENCIES AND MOST PRIVATE OWNERS DO NOT GIVE REFUNDS, IF YOU NEED TO CANCEL.

If you want to go in a less busy time period, you can sometimes get decent availability at about half the resorts, at 7 months out. This means that ANY owner with points could book those for you, and you don't need to find an owner who has Home Resort Privileges. This means there could be more owners that might be able to rent to you.

Always look for an owner who has a good history of lots of posts, including recent posts, on a variety of topics, on the message boards. Read their posts. Look at their posting history. See if you can also find previous Listings for Rentals from them.

Make sure you get their name, address, phone number and email, before you send them any money. Google these and make sure it all looks pretty consistent.

Consider going to the Orange County Florida Comptrollers Website https://or.occompt.com/recorder/web/ Search for deeds in the name of the person you are renting from, to verify they are owners.

Ask for references, if you don't feel confident. References can be faked, as many other things can, but if they can give you the name, phone number or email addrss of several people who ahve rented from them, you might contact those people to verify the owner.

You WILL also be expected to give YOUR name, phone number, address, email and names of others travelling with you, plus the ages of children, for them to be able to make a reservation in your name. The owner might also send you a contract for you to sign, specifying your rental agreement.

Finally, DO NOT SEND MONEY UNTIL YOU HAVE A CONFIRMED RESERVATION WITH RESERVATION NUMBER AND ALL THE DETAILS. DO NOT send money for them to 'search' for you, or to 'prove your interest' or anythng like that. Private rental agencies can charge a down payment fee or search fee or whatever they call it, but private owners who are renting have absolutely no business doing this, and no reason to. If they ask for any money up front, I would find someone who IS NOT asking for money upfront.

Once the search and booking has been successful, the owner should be able to give you a confirmed reservation number. You should be
able to take that number and plug it into your My Disney Experience App ( MyDisneyExperience.com or Disneyworld.Disney.Go.Com) and bring up all the information, and confirm that the names and dates and all the info is the way you want it. ONLY THEN would I send any money.

Keep in mind, the Owner MUST keep their account, fees and other things current and square with Disney, or you won't be able to check in. Experienced owners should have no trouble with this. But this is also why you need to keep their contact info so you can call them if there are any problems at all. The Owner will also need to be the go between, between you and Disney, for scheduling Magical Express and Disney Dining Plan. For Disney Dining Plan, I sometimes put renters on a 3 way call with me and Member Services, so they can pay their cost by credit card, but I also have renters who have worked with me before, who just give me their credit card info and I do it for them. Only do this with someone you really trust. BUT, it isn't as bad as you might think, since if they commit fraud you could always contact your credit card company. (DO NOT use a Debit Card. That doesn't provide ANY protection.)

The owner should be someone you feel confident in working with, since they retain ultimate control, and can even cancel your reservation without your permission, if they choose to do so. Again, this is another reason to make sure you aren't being scammed and are dealing with a real person who posts regularly on these boards, and who has rented before.

When you pay them, you will most likely do that through Venmo or Paypal, though I have also had people send me personal checks.

I hope this helps.

FCivish3

Depending on when you want to rent, reservations in the 0 to 7 month window, from an Owner, should probably cost about $15 to $17 a point. However, if it is within the next 3 months, then that means the owner is probably trying to get rid of points, and $14 or $15 a point, or less, would be likely. In the 7 to 11 month window, expect points to cost $15 to $18 at most places, and if you are trying for Grand Californian, $20 a point is not too high.

This means that at most places, you can save about HALF of what Disney charges for similar rooms. At a few places, in a few seasons, you might even save 2/3rds.

Nemo14

There's some helpful information here:

aliceismad

I've rented points for two trips from David's, which is a well-known service that basically serves as a middleman between DVC members who want to sell points and people who want to buy them. It's a little more expensive than renting directly from a DVC member, but they have a wide pool of DVC members who may be willing to sell points. They were also incredibly easy to work with. Costs are listed on their website as well as information about each DVC location. We rented at Animal Kingdom (Kidani) and Bay Lake Tower. Both times it was much cheaper than if I had tried to book those resorts.

Once we booked, we had a confirmation number and were able to add our trip to My Disney Experience. We bought tickets once through the Disney site and once through UT, again adding the ticket number to MDE. Dining reservations, Magic Bands, etc. all go through MDE per usual.

We contacted DME and added our arrival and departure times. Easy peasy.

With David's it is true that you pay upfront and cannot change the reservation after the fact and you also have better availability if you book several months out. That's a risk we were willing to take.

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

We've rented several times from David's Vacation Rentals, with no issues.

More recently, I rented directly from a well-vetted owner on the MouseOwners forum, although I wouldn't recommend that route for a first-timer. A respected "middleman" agency like David's or the DVC Rental Store is great about walking you through the process and answering questions, and of course, it gives you another layer of protection, legally-speaking. (I hope this goes without saying, but be sure to read the rules for making a reservation request, as well as the standard contract if/when you rent, very carefully.)

JTT

Renting points will save you a lot of money versus going through Disney. I've done it many times.

The only issue to keep in mind is that once you buy it, it's yours.

You can't cancel. DVC rental will sell you a cancellation policy at $2 a point. David's will direct you to travel insurance companies.

asianway

Renting points will save you a lot of money versus going through Disney. I've done it many times.

The only issue to keep in mind is that once you buy it, it's yours.

You can't cancel. DVC rental will sell you a cancellation policy at $2 a point. David's will direct you to travel insurance companies.
You’d have to be nuts to do any type of 3rd party rental right now

nickys

Premium Member
What's the benefit? Trying to learn something new here...

What’s the benefit of renting points?

Staying at a DVC resort (studio) for the price of a moderate resort room. Or staying in a larger villa for significantly less than it would cost to book through Disney.

Kobe!!

What’s the benefit of renting points?

Staying at a DVC resort (studio) for the price of a moderate resort room. Or staying in a larger villa for significantly less than it would cost to book through Disney.
So in short, what are the pros and cons of joining?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom