First Time Renting DVC Points

MomofPrincessGrace

Original Poster
Hello Everyone!

So we are thinking of renting DVC points for 2 nights at the Poly at the end of our vacation in fall (first week of October) of 2019. How hard is it to get Poly? I know we have to wait at least until 11 months to book, and 7 months is when you no longer have to pay the additional price per point. Should we pay the extra to try and book at 11 months, or is there still pretty good availability at 7 months? Never done this before, so just need a little advice!

Thanks!

Weather_Lady

If a DVC member wants to check for you, they can tell you the current availability. We've worked with David's Vacation Rentals in the past (and have had some communications with the DVC Rental Store as well), and both were pretty up-front with us about the likelihood of getting the rentals we wanted for the dates we were seeking, both in terms of availability of rooms in our desired category/resort, and in terms of whether they would have members who'd listed points that matched up. If you're considering going through them, I'd contact them directly about it.

I'd hazard a guess that the Poly is easier to get than most, since its inventory is comparatively high (and so is the pricing in terms of points), but again, that's just a guess. We rented DVC points from David's for a 2-night Poly stay for our upcoming visit in May, but we made our request at 11 months, and it was able to be met within a couple of days. I had my heart set on it (bucket list item), so it was worth the extra cost to ensure we got it. Otherwise, we'd have waited until 7 months out.

MomofPrincessGrace

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply! I am thinking that we will most likely look at spending the extra $$$$ to book at 11 months instead of 7. I feel like once its booked I can be excited, instead of hoping that what I want is still available. After visiting the Poly on our trip last year, I would LOVE to stay there and enjoy the resort, so we decided to end our trip with a 2 night stay. Did you rent from David's? Im kinda of confused of how the whole pay a deposit so we can check availability works. If there is no availability do they refund the deposit? If they have something available do they apply the deposit toward your stay?

Weather_Lady

. Did you rent from David's? Im kinda of confused of how the whole pay a deposit so we can check availability works. If there is no availability do they refund the deposit? If they have something available do they apply the deposit toward your stay?

Yes, we rented from David's. If they can't satisfy your request, they will tell you, and give you the option of getting your deposit refunded, or if the issue is not having a member with the points rather than the rooms already being booked up (no availability), they'll ask if you want them to keep your request active, in which case they'll hold onto the deposit and wait to see if a member lists the needed points. If the request stays active and can eventually be met, they'll apply your deposit toward the balance (which will be due immediately when they secure the reservation). If the request ultimately can't be met (e.g., all the rooms get booked before a member lists the points you need), the deposit will be refunded at that time. So in short, no part of the deposit will be kept unless they get you the reservation, in which case it will be applied to your room cost. It's a win-win. I can testify from experience that they're very timely about refunding when a reservation can't be secured, as I've had it happen before.

If and when your reservation has been secured, you'll be given a confirmation number to link to your MDE account, so you'll be able to see the reservation details in the usual manner.

The primary risk with renting DVC points in this way is the non-refundability of the transaction. For this reason, if there's the slightest chance you might not be able to travel, I recommend purchasing travel insurance to cover your non-refundable costs.

MotherofaPrincessLover

Thanks for the reply! I am thinking that we will most likely look at spending the extra $$$$ to book at 11 months instead of 7. I feel like once its booked I can be excited, instead of hoping that what I want is still available. After visiting the Poly on our trip last year, I would LOVE to stay there and enjoy the resort, so we decided to end our trip with a 2 night stay. Did you rent from David's? Im kinda of confused of how the whole pay a deposit so we can check availability works. If there is no availability do they refund the deposit? If they have something available do they apply the deposit toward your stay?
I would just spend the extra money for the 11 month window. I've rented from David's twice and the customer service they have provided has been fantastic. If there is no availability and you don't want to wait, the deposit will be refunded. If they do have something available, the deposit goes toward your final payment. I switched what I wanted like 5 times before I secured my reservation and they worked with me.

andy773

I just checked and here is the availability for the end of the year. Lake Views are totally sold out for the dates I checked.
Poly.jpg

First week of October is Columbus day so that's usually busy. I've gone the last two years over that weekend and it has always essentially sold out before the 7 month mark except for random days here and there.

MomofPrincessGrace

Original Poster
Thanks for this! We will most likely be needing the friday and saturday nights following Columbus Day. I will try and book as soon as the window opens up.

Minthorne

I also agree with @Weather_Lady (I usually do!) that David’s is very reliable. That being said it isnt a certain thing that David’s will have Poly points available to book it at 11 months. I’d actually put the request in a few days before and tell them I’m willing to wait if they don’t have the points immediately. Good luck - I personally love the Poly studios.

correcaminos

We DVC folks Won’t be able to check October 2019 until November 2018. I’d pay the extra and book at 11 months. It will only be about 50-60 more.
I 100% agree. Book right at 11 months and you should be fine. Standard will be more open than lake and less costly, but if you get in right at 11 months you'll be fine (PVB owner here).

I hope you enjoy your trip. I love that resort and think it's great for F&WF time!

MomofPrincessGrace

Original Poster
Just booked with Davids Vacation Rental, we are a little over 11 months out so we have to wait until April 9th. This is our first time ever renting DVC and first time staying in deluxe. We opted for AKL as our first choice, Poly second, WL and the Grand last. Hoping for a great experience!
Let me know if you were successful getting the resort you wanted :D

correcaminos

Just booked with Davids Vacation Rental, we are a little over 11 months out so we have to wait until April 9th. This is our first time ever renting DVC and first time staying in deluxe. We opted for AKL as our first choice, Poly second, WL and the Grand last. Hoping for a great experience!

Good luck! I think all 3 are great choices :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom