First time planning, setting the stage to propose to my Boyfriend!

cturnip

Hello everyone, as I was looking online I found this forum and maybe it would help the overwhelming feeling I have planning this trip. I have been with my boyfriend, David for four years this March and I'm ready to ask him to marry me. I'm 34 and he's 30 and he's never been to WDW, I haven't been since I was a kid. However, we love Disney and he is obsessed with Star Wars so I thought if I was going to plan a trip, why not propose at the happiest place on Earth (with Star Wars)? Ha.

Looking at our budget, I am planning on going in late October, so that the new Toy Story Land is open and I rather go in the fall weather. I am totally new to doing this so any help would be appreciated in who is best to contact, etc. I think I will book the Riverside Resort to stay in the park with a five day park hopper pass (and a memory maker added, he will know we are going but he won't know the surprise!), however I want to do much of the booking myself.

I wanted to try to propose at Hollywood Studios with the Star Wars attractions, just not sure how. I'm unfamiliar with the park, so I'm not sure where the best spot to do it would be? Any help with that would be a plus!

Please tell me this will not be as overwhelming as it seems!

yensid67

PLEASE DO NOT GET OVERWHELMED! Take it day by day. This is a special occasion and I know you are trying to make it perfect, but as Parentsof4 said doing this in a public space means you will have to take whatever happens around you with a grain of salt. I would echo their suggestion of popping the question in a restaurant. Its more intimate and you have a little more control. Cast Members are usually wiling and happy to make some extra MAGIC for a guest, so I would find out where he wants to grab a SIT DOWN MEAL and go from there. Since he likes Star Wars, maybe contact Jedi Training Academy on the first day(when he is not around) and see if they can help. You could sign him up secretly for the Jedi Training and then pop the question right there on stage with him. He would remember that!
Since he likes Star Wars and you're getting married...would you allow him to dress up in his Star Wars costume for the wedding? LOL! You could be his Princess Lea and he could be your Luke Skywalker(I am not versed on Star Wars...just shows my age) Once you are home after the big trip and you begin to plan, remember to have a Death Star grooms cake made for him!? On the dance floor you could plan a dance with lightsabers!? But I am getting ahead of things, is there going to be any families around or just two of you? If just two of you, I would find someway to make a video of the moment for family and friends. This way it could be incorporated into your wedding video of how it began! But anyways, CONGRATULATIONS and take you time and DO NOT become overwhelmed! You have come to the right place for advice and suggestions! One word of advice is to book your hotel ASAP for fall! Then any discounts can be applied later! Good luck and keep us posted

Upvote 0

DisneyOutsider

I proposed to my now-wife at WDW and it was perfect... but the thing that made it so great was that I made some phone calls to WDW ahead of time and they really went out of their way to make it way more special than I could have done on my own.

The Star Wars Launch Bay in Hollywood Studios contains all of the character meet and greets (chewbacca, Kylo Ren, BB8, Storm Troopers, Jawa Traders). If I was you, I would give them a call and see if it's possible to include some of the characters as part of your proposal. Just an idea... but regardless of which direction you choose I would definitely give guest services a call and see if they can make your moment even more special.

Upvote 0

yensid67

Thanks Herdman...I knew I got it wrong! BUT I knew someone on here would correct it! Again THANKS!
I like the idea of a character proposal at Launch Bay! Find our his favorite character and see if they can be involved? or have an ensemble of characters around when you pop the question!

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I proposed to my now-wife at WDW and it was perfect... but the thing that made it so great was that I made some phone calls to WDW ahead of time and they really went out of their way to make it way more special than I could have done on my own.

The Star Wars Launch Bay in Hollywood Studios contains all of the character meet and greets (chewbacca, Kylo Ren, BB8, Storm Troopers, Jawa Traders). If I was you, I would give them a call and see if it's possible to include some of the characters as part of your proposal. Just an idea... but regardless of which direction you choose I would definitely give guest services a call and see if they can make your moment even more special.

I was going to suggest this.

To the side of Jedi Academy we got to witness a wife inform her husband they were expecting a little one. He was standing there with what he must have thought was a M&G with Vader. His wife walked up and handed him a Disney shopping bag with what must have been a onesy inside - probably a SW one. He looked at it for a moment, a little confused, and then burst into tears when he realized what it was and what his wife was telling him. We all applauded, many of us got a little teary. Vader and his accompanying Stormtroopers gave him a thumbs up. He even got a pat on the back from one of the Troopers and a handshake from Vader, I believe. All captured by a Disney photopass photographer. I thought it was just random until I overheard the discussion between the wife and the CM handler afterwards. The husband was just beaming.

Upvote 0

slipperalwaysfits

@LAKid53 What a great story!! We did the Cinderella's RT proposal because he knew I was into the princesses and it's easier to do it at a table then by the wishing well, where there might be a crowd or somewhere in front of the castle, where there's almost always a crowd! So yes, a restaurant might be the best, or talk to a CM outside Jedi Training. What if you take him to HS the first day for reconnaissance, find out he loves ToT or some other ride, and are able to propose near those rides? The :eek::geek: The exit of TOT is a pretty wide spot and there are areas where it's not crowded at all, especially depending on time of day. There's a coffee kiosk there, so you could walk up there under the guise of "getting a refresher" and propose instead of getting coffee!

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
@LAKid53 What a great story!! We did the Cinderella's RT proposal because he knew I was into the princesses and it's easier to do it at a table then by the wishing well, where there might be a crowd or somewhere in front of the castle, where there's almost always a crowd! So yes, a restaurant might be the best, or talk to a CM outside Jedi Training. What if you take him to HS the first day for reconnaissance, find out he loves ToT or some other ride, and are able to propose near those rides? The :eek::geek: The exit of TOT is a pretty wide spot and there are areas where it's not crowded at all, especially depending on time of day. There's a coffee kiosk there, so you could walk up there under the guise of "getting a refresher" and propose instead of getting coffee!

We witnessed one of those proposals at CRT. Everyone was crying - the bride to be, her parents, other diners, CMs and I think a few of the princesses were teary eyed. And he got basically a standing ovation

Upvote 0

wendyphant

We had an amazing interaction with chewwie and kylo ren in the launch bay...that may work nicely and there will be CM memory maker photographer there to catch the moment

Upvote 0

wendyphant

My hubby proposed in the Liberty bell resturant in MK on 4th July......only a brit would think going there then was a good idea......there he was on one knee all these people looking at us....I screamed and ran out.
The waitress came up to him and my father (my parents and sister were there) all embarassed and said is there a problem sir are you ok. My hubby got up sighed and said its ok she just saw a rat..........
The looks in the resturant of sheer panic apparently hysterical until my DH pointes out it was a 6 foot rat....
Really who proposes in MK at 3pm.......the parade went past

He did try again at sun set in the castle and it was caught by a disney photographer.....remember this was 23 years ago so pre memory maker and we were given a ticket to collect it on our way out...it was free!!

Upvote 0

Andy_0410

Have seen a proposal on main street.
The couple were having their picture taken in front of Cinderella castle like many couples do. Next minute he was down on one knee and asking her to marry him. She of course said yes the crowds around them were all cheering and all captured by the Disney photographer.
So busy places are possible just pick your moment
I agree a meet and greet in launch bay would be good he can meet one of his favourite characters then pop the question. All be captured by the photographer

Good luck and let us all know how it goes 😀

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom