First Time Marathon Running...

cindrelly

Original Poster
Hi there!! So I am getting ready to start training for a 5K first. Then I will work to a 10K, then the Princess 1/2 in 2012. :p

I haven't run in over 20 years. :( During high school I developed asthma and over the last few years have finally figured out how to keep it under control while I try to exercise.:sohappy:

So my question is...does anyone use any specific websites to train with or start to train with, or do you just do what your body thinks it can tolerate? I have a couple apps on my iPhone, but am willing to try others. Just not sure where to start.

Thanks for any insight. And good luck to all those running this weekend! :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:I hope to be there in a few years!

AUPr8Hd

Hi there!! So I am getting ready to start training for a 5K first. Then I will work to a 10K, then the Princess 1/2 in 2012. :p

I haven't run in over 20 years. :( During high school I developed asthma and over the last few years have finally figured out how to keep it under control while I try to exercise.:sohappy:

So my question is...does anyone use any specific websites to train with or start to train with, or do you just do what your body thinks it can tolerate? I have a couple apps on my iPhone, but am willing to try others. Just not sure where to start.

Thanks for any insight. And good luck to all those running this weekend! :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:I hope to be there in a few years!

I would recommend any of the iPhone "Couch to 5k" apps. They are a great way to start building your base

Phonedave

Couch to 5K seems like a popular way to build to a base of 5k.

No need for an app, it is a simple schedule you can get on their website - just google couch to 5K. If apps are you bag though, go right ahead.

After that, there are a number of programs out there. I depends on what you are trying to accomplish. There are a number of 10k, 1/2 and full marathon programs out there (and if you talk to Nick, he can give you some 100 mile race training programs)

Build to the 5k with the couch to 5k and the revaluate when you get to that point.

-dave

Ariel484

Another vote for Couch-to-5k...I started with this plan about 2 years ago and am running the Princess Half this February! :sohappy: But absolutely listen to your body, as you mention...you wouldn't want to injure yourself right away.

Also, check out this thread that was going on a few months ago (lots of good advice here for beginning runners): http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=640625

Good luck!! :wave:

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I'll back that as well. I used podrunner's couch to 5-k, and ended up doing a 5-miler my first running season.

Doing the 1/2 marathon in 5 days...yikes!

JillC LI

I used a program similar to the Couch to 5K when I first started running (and could barely complete 2 blocks). It was in a book by Bob and Shelly Glover for Beginner runners. After that, I gradually built up my mileage to 10K by creating my own plan. But anything longer than that, and you probably are best off using a training plan by an expert that is geared towards beginners. Good luck to you! Those first few miles are TRULY the hardest. :wave:

Texas84

jeffgalloway.com. Great for beginners. I started in February just to get ready for the Halloween 5K and it turned out to be a breeze. So now I'm running my first official half this Saturday at WDW. I just don't see a full marathon in my future, but I said that about the half. Maybe after I lose 20 more pounds! :D

mraphael

Look into your local running store. Mine has a program called No Boundaries and it gets first time runners from stating to running a 5k. It's great motivation to run with friends....

dreamfinder

Active.com and coolrunning.com both usually have a solid couch to 5 k plastered prominently on their pages somewhere. As mraphel said, try checking with your local running stores. The one near me does a few through out the year that coincide with some of the larger races they co-sponsor. It really depends on how you think you would be better motivated/training. Some people need the group encouragement or reinforcement from a coach that a program like that will provide, and others are fine just by reading the routine online and getting out and running.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Another vote for couch to 5K. I started that last November and I really stuck with it and got serious. That led to a 10K progression and 3 halves last year. I am going for the full this february.

If I can do it, you can do it. Keep us updated on your progress. Good luck!

:wave:

Joel

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom