First time going to Disney

mkylovr

Original Poster
I am going to disney for the first time 3 weeks from tomorrow. My boyfriend of 10 years has been a bunch of times when he was a kid. My best friend and her husband are going too. We are staying at the Coranodo Springs resort. i am so excited to be going. I am obsessed with Mickey Mouse. I have a Sorcerers Apprentice tattoo in purple.

Is there any advce you all can give me? What to do, what not to do?

Thanks

mkylovr

Original Poster
Thank you for the welcome. we are going on the 9th to the 16th. we will have pretty much 8 full days. our flight leaves boston at 7 am and comning home it leaves at 7 pm.

jvenegas

Eight full days wil give you a chance to do pretty much everything you like.

Although the parks are very busy this time of year you should be able to catch all of the rides and shows if you use fastpass and plan for EMH (extra magic hours).

As a firstimer, don't pass on the chance of doing even the rides that are usually reserved for the little ones because I'm sure you'll enjoy them and will help you in strarting to create your Disney memories (all of us are kids inside anyways).

Be sure to let yourself behave like a child, you'll have more fun this way and try to absorb everything you can.

At MK be sure to catch Wishes, Spectromagic and the new frontcastle show Dreaming with Mickey.

At EPCOT don't miss Illuminations, it will bedazzle you.

At MGM do ride Rockn'Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror, that is if you're ok with thrill rides.

At AK Expedition Everest, Dinosaur and one of my personal favorites Flights of Wonder.

I'm sure others will also fill you in on what else to do so you can make your first visit a magical and unforgettable one.

Have a blast!!!:sohappy: :wave:

mkylovr

Original Poster
i know i will have a blast. i already feel like a kid. i am planning to knock myself out the night before with tylenol pm or something. i feel like a kid at christmas. :D

i dont think i can do the tower of terror, but i may try the rockin roller coster. i have never been a fan of roler coasters, but this is Disney, so we'll see.

I was told that this is a good time of year to go as it is after Thanksgiving, kids are still ins chool, and its before Christmas. Speaking of Christmas, i can not wait to see all the decorations and i hear that the World has a fantastic display.

LuLaSue

Eight full days wil give you a chance to do pretty much everything you like.

Although the parks are very busy this time of year you should be able to catch all of the rides and shows if you use fastpass and plan for EMH (extra magic hours).

As a firstimer, don't pass on the chance of doing even the rides that are usually reserved for the little ones because I'm sure you'll enjoy them and will help you in strarting to create your Disney memories (all of us are kids inside anyways).

Be sure to let yourself behave like a child, you'll have more fun this way and try to absorb everything you can.

At MK be sure to catch Wishes, Spectromagic and the new frontcastle show Dreaming with Mickey.

At EPCOT don't miss Illuminations, it will bedazzle you.

At MGM do ride Rockn'Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror, that is if you're ok with thrill rides.

At AK Expedition Everest, Dinosaur and one of my personal favorites Flights of Wonder.

I'm sure others will also fill you in on what else to do so you can make your first visit a magical and unforgettable one.

Have a blast!!!:sohappy: :wave:

The one thing that I would add to this list is in MK - make sure you hit Mickey's Philharmagic....really cool.

Buy yourself the Unoffical Guide and check out allears.net.

jvenegas

Yes, the decorations are spectacular, specially the Osborne Spectacle of Lights at MGM. Be sure to get in that one. There's a thread somewhere in these boards with video from this show. I'm sure that if you do a search you can find it a take a sneak peek.

mkylovr

Original Poster
i do have that book, and i will check out that site. i saw the video, who ever took it did a nice job. when i get home from work i will look at more of them. it is making me even more excited, not sure if that is a good thing or not. :lol:

H20Babie

Another really nice thing to do if you need some down time is to tour the resorts themselves. Make sure you take the monorail, and check of GF, CR and the Poly. From DD, you can take the boat over to POR and POFQ. AK and WL are great to visit too. We did this for a whole day, but you can easily just take a few hours and check out the ones you want. Breakfast at one, shopping at another, lunch, drinks, snack, etc. It was a great way to relax and be active at the same time, without the crowds, while still experiencing that Disney magic.

Also, if you are indeed a kid at heart, take in a character meal, like Chef Mickey's.

Hope this helps!

LuLaSue

i do have that book, and i will check out that site. i saw the video, who ever took it did a nice job. when i get home from work i will look at more of them. it is making me even more excited, not sure if that is a good thing or not. :lol:
Welcome to the addiction!:lol:

kennygman

Welcome to the boards!

We'll be returning 9-13. I hope you have a blast.

My tips: If you don't already have reservations for your sit down meals, get them now so you won't be blocked out. 407-wdw-dine.

Go to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party one night. Tuesday the 12th is when we are going. You'll see the Christmas Parade, Holiday Wishes and some other Christmas Shows. It's worth the extra cost, but don't go on the weekend, that's when the locals are out.

Meet the characters. It's a lot of fun, even as an adult to see how many characters you can meet.

See all the shows, parades and fireworks! Fantasmic is the best.

Christmas stuff: resort decorations at the deluxe resorts (gingerbread house at GF is terrific) and candlelight processional (Arrive early)

Have fun! You have plenty of time to see everything, especially since it is a slow week. Many rides will be walk on or small wait.

coltow

Being a Mickey fan you will want to make sure to visit Toontown and see his house.

And you'll want to make sure to see FANTASMIC at MGM. It is my favorite nighttime show of all the parks.

Tiggerfanatic

Welcome!! You are going to have so much fun - I remember well our first visit. You'll get to see and do a lot in eight days, but don't forget to allow yourself some downtime, too. Relax and enjoy the Magic!!!

eroyee

:wave: Welcome. Do Mickeys Philharmagic, Mickeys very merry christmas party, and all the holiday parades. We will be there Dec. 9-16. woo hoo!! 21 days!!! Have a magical trip. I cant imagine being a first timer again. wow. oh yeah, Soarin at Epcot. do not miss that one. Maybe we will see ya there!!:xmas: :sohappy:

Epcot82Guy

Welcome aboard, and kudos on picking a great time for your trip. I think you will have a wonderful experience.

Just some tips from my perspective:

1. Make sure to take time to explore the resorts. They are beautiful and really add a new level to the adult nature of WDW. If nowhere else, take an evening after the MK to explore the Poly and the GF, walking along the beach. Also, try and sneak over to the Boardwalk area one night (BW, Swan & Dolphin, and Yacht & Beach club). These are both connected to MGM & Epcot, so that can be convenient.

2. Don't feel the need to see everything. You have a nice chunk of time at the resort, so you will see a lot. But, there will be things you miss. Don't sweat it; you can see it next time you go. The point of Disney is taking in the atmosphere and really enjoying that (either for relaxation, trying "figure out" the details, etc.). The attractions are a huge part of that, but the individual attractions are secondary (albeit entirely tie in) to the overall atmosphere IMHO.

3. Depending on the type of person you are, you may enjoy doing some quick research on-line about hte history of the parks. All of the parks, especially MK and Epcot, have very deliberate design elements. If you like history, engineering, civil planning, or anything like that, it adds a WHOLE new part to the parks. You really come to appreciate the thought that goes in if you see where it was, is, and may go to someday.

4. Take advantage of the holiday offerings. MVMCP, although an upcharge, is a lot of fun. Being a Mickey fan, I would say it is a must see for you. The Candlelight Processional is also wonderful. Although it is the Christmas story, people of all denominations can enjoy it because it has a wonderful narrator and huge chorus. It makes for a great story and show (regardless of your personal beliefs). Same goes for the storytellers around Epcot. While I am probably biased, I truly believe Epcot offers some of the finest holiday entertainment anywhere. Take at least two nights here to see everything (and see it again).

5. Read through the threads here. You will find many, many little treasures and tips. Even finding a couple of these on your first trip will help show you the magic that each of us (obviously) holds so dear.

Have a wonderful trip, and please come back and let us know how it went!

Glasgow

I always like these threads about noobs going to DW for the first time. Let us know how it goes and good luck with everything!

mkylovr

Original Poster
ill definately let you know how it goes. thank you all for the wonderful info. i just cant wait to get there. :animwink:

Do you know if there are maps designed to work on a pda? my boyfriend was thinking of bringing it with him. that way if we decide we loved something and later want to do it again, we could find it easier than walking all over the place.

oh no! my brain is overloading with suggestions!

First off, the idea to visit all the resorts is a fantastic idea. My fam and I will be doing the same thing in a couple of weeks on our own vacay to see the xmas decorations. it really is worth the xtra trips to take it all in.

fantasmic is probably my fav night time show at MGM. Definitely worth the crowds.

for dinner, even though the menu is limited and if you like sea food, the Coral Reef at Epcot is my fav. it is situated so that you look directly into the living seas exhibit (or Nemo and Friends or whatever it is called now). Excellent atmosphere.

Even though this isn't a park experience per se, one of my hubby and i's fav things to do is the mini golf! winter/summerland near blizzard beach and fantasia gardens near swan and dolphin is a lot of fun.

the best advice has already been given to you. Remember to look at everything with a child's eye. This may sound a little hallmark-ish, but I really believe that you have to allow yourself to let go and really immerse yourself in the experience. the first time i saw cindy's castle, i was 20 but i felt like a 5 year old little girl. it really was and still is a fantastic emotion to have.

have fun and welcome to the obsession-it will only get worse from here on out:wave:!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom