First Time DLR guest - Logistics

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
Hi,

I have tried to do some reading through old threads for general information, but some specific advice might be helpful. We are long time WDW guests.

My family and I are planning our first trip to DLR after Christmas 2019. I know, I know, it is a long time away. However, it sometimes takes us quite a bit of time to save up for these things. Also, I am a habitual planner. Finally, I know the crowds will be nuts and we are fine with that.

First off, we would be looking at 3 or 4 full days at the park from the 27th through 30th of December, or the 28th through the 30th. Considering the time frame, would it be work the extra cost to have a 4 day park experience rather than a three? At WDW we rarely need more than 1.5 days in any park; however this is our first time here, especially this time of year.

Also, normally since DLR is so much more compact, unlike at WDW, my first instinct would be to stay off-site and save the 2k in hotel costs; however, will staying onsite really help with the crowds? This may be our only time, is it worth the cost for the experience? At WDW we always stay onsite, so this is a bit weird to me. I naturally gravitate towards onsite; however, hubby wants to save money.

Finally, considering how packed this time of year is, how early should I book our hotel and package? I know at wdw you can typically book about 18 months in advance (500 something days). Is it the same at DLR? Is it necessary to get the "good" rooms?

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
I should note that I am a bit more worried about hotels than might be necessary because of Star Wars Land opening up that year.

Rich T

I say, if it's a once-in-a-lifetime trip, stay at the DL Hotel for the convenience. It really is like staying in an almost cruise-ship-like resort bubble with all the shops, restaurants and the 2 parks within walking distance. Staying off site saves you money, but adds a lot of inconvenience--and the city of Anaheim is... not scenic. And I'd also say that if you go with 4 days, you'll have plenty of time to relax and use early mornings and late nights to hit every single attraction you like without worrying about crowds.

GiveMeTheMusic

Hi,

I have tried to do some reading through old threads for general information, but some specific advice might be helpful. We are long time WDW guests.

My family and I are planning our first trip to DLR after Christmas 2019. I know, I know, it is a long time away. However, it sometimes takes us quite a bit of time to save up for these things. Also, I am a habitual planner. Finally, I know the crowds will be nuts and we are fine with that.

First off, we would be looking at 3 or 4 full days at the park from the 27th through 30th of December, or the 28th through the 30th. Considering the time frame, would it be work the extra cost to have a 4 day park experience rather than a three? At WDW we rarely need more than 1.5 days in any park; however this is our first time here, especially this time of year.

Also, normally since DLR is so much more compact, unlike at WDW, my first instinct would be to stay off-site and save the 2k in hotel costs; however, will staying onsite really help with the crowds? This may be our only time, is it worth the cost for the experience? At WDW we always stay onsite, so this is a bit weird to me. I naturally gravitate towards onsite; however, hubby wants to save money.

Finally, considering how packed this time of year is, how early should I book our hotel and package? I know at wdw you can typically book about 18 months in advance (500 something days). Is it the same at DLR? Is it necessary to get the "good" rooms?

With those being the most crowded days of the year, you will benefit from Extra Magic Hours in a big way. Staying on site is an advantage in that respect, as long as you're diligent about getting to the parks that early each day.

BasiltheBatLord

Star Wars Land might change everything, we don't know yet, but personally I think 3 days is fine and staying on site is nice, but nowhere near as "necessary" for the experience as WDW. Grand Californian has a back door entrance to DCA, if you didn't know that already (you actually don't have to be staying at the hotel to use it, but it's still nice.)

JohnyKaz2078

Stay in a DL hotel to take benefit of the Extra Magic Hours. This will be much more important when Star Wars Land is fully-opened and everyone will be racing to that direction once the park opens.

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
When the 11-month mark comes I might actually try to rent DVC points. Seems like the best compromise to get the perks of staying onsite but not paying as much. If nothing is available at the 11-month Mark I can always just get a normal room.

Reggie Colorado

We have stayed both on-property and across the street, and it really depends on your price sensitivity, how much time you intend to spend in the park versus the hotel, and how much you personally value the early admission option, slightly improved convenience, and significantly better theming. $2000 seems pretty steep when there are hotels across the street that are as close or almost as close to the park entrances, but your mileage may vary.

The early admission is a tangible benefit during busy times and if the rides are a focus for you. The biggest attractions will still have a wait unless you are in the front at early opening, but you can knock out most of the other rides in a land in the first hour or so (when later in the day it might take you three-four hours).

But you can get almost the same experience if you go at rope drop for the park without the early admission that day (they rotate which park opens for early admission). If you end up staying off site, go to the park that does not have early admission that day, as it will be *relatively* less crowded and the lines for the big attractions will not already be full of early admission folks. Also consider park-hopping mid-day if the wait times in the other park are more reasonable.

One factor on three versus four days is that the ticket price difference might be nominal. On our last trip, we planned on three days but added a fourth day because the price difference was only $25 or so. It was nice not to rush through the parks or feel compelled to stay from rope drop to close.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom