First time at Poly DVC Rental - How loud is the smaller pool?

itchybanana

Original Poster
Hi Everyone! My husband and I are planning our 2020 trip. It will be the first time we rent DVC points and, if all goes as planned, our first stay at the Poly. For our last trip we stayed at WL. We loved it, but our room was poolside and we found the noise in the afternoon to be too much for us. Mostly it was someone on a megaphone yelling out games and stuff to entertain people. I'm not sure if this is something that is implemented at all the resort pools. I guess I'm wondering if the Oasis pool is really noisy/does the megaphone thing or if that's mostly contained to the Lava pool? It sounds like we might be risking some noise at any longhouse (either parking lot, TCC, ferries, or pool) and I'm just trying to figure out what might make the most sense to us.

I'd like to try to get a stay in the Tokelau longhouse, but I know it's going to be a deal breaker if we have to hear megaphone games when we're getting our nap in.

Any thoughts you have are really appreciated!

Weather_Lady

There's always a risk of noise, as you say, but when we stayed at the Polynesian we didn't hear any noise coming from any of the pools during the day, even though we criss-crossed the property frequently. I know there were some games and music, etc. scheduled at the Lava(Volcano feature) pool or on the lawn in the afternoons, but we never heard them happening (although I'm sure they weren't noiseless!), and there was never anything scheduled at the quiet (Oasis) pool. Granted, our stay was in February 2018, so hopefully someone who's visited more recently can testify about whether this has changed since then. If it's a concern, however, you can always politely ask at check-in if a quieter location is available, if you find that your room is too close to the Lava pool (or to any then-ongoing construction) for your liking.

FWIW, we stayed in a DVC studio on rented points as well. We asked for Tokelau, given its central location, but ended up in Moorea. I can't complain as Moorea was only 3-4 minutes further from the Grand Ceremonial House than Tokelau (which, of course, made it 3-4 minutes closer to the TTC), and our room was wonderful: close to an outside entrance and whisper-quiet, facing only greenery, walking paths and the Pogo-Pogo longhouse across the way.

Last edited:

Hcalvert

Same as above. I always found Poly very quiet for a resort. I commented on it to my husband when I last stayed there in July.

Last edited:

DisneyOutsider

The Oasis pool is MUCH quieter than the Lava pool. They don't do any megaphone games or anything at all aimed towards kids. My experience has been there is very few kids there during the day. Mostly just a bunch of adults sipping booze and laying around... I highly recommend this activity, by the way 🤣 The servers at the bar will come by and take your order and bring you whatever you need. It's one of the things that sold me on Poly DVC

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

The Lava pool is MUCH quieter than the Oasis pool. They don't do any megaphone games or anything at all aimed towards kids. My experience has been there is very few kids there during the day. Mostly just a bunch of adults sipping booze and laying around... I highly recommend this activity, by the way 🤣 The servers at the bar will come by and take your order and bring you whatever you need. It's one of the things that sold me on Poly DVC
You mean Oasis is quiter... right? I found the smaller pool very quiet, that said younarenrenting points at DVC, you would be lucky to be near the pool, a lot of rooms are further afield and offer parking lot views or if your lucky like me the transportation center lol...with was noiser than any pool with construction going on. Between that and the boats I found Poly noiser than say Beach Club DVC.

DisneyOutsider

You mean Oasis is quiter... right? I found the smaller pool very quiet, that said younarenrenting points at DVC, you would be lucky to be near the pool, a lot of rooms are further afield and offer parking lot views or if your lucky like me the transportation center lol...with was noiser than any pool with construction going on. Between that and the boats I found Poly noiser than say Beach Club DVC.
Yes I mixed up the two names there.

As far as location goes, there are only three longhouses and they are all pretty much right next to each other. Tokelau is the longhouse you want if you want a view of the Oasis pool. There are no parking lot views in Tokelau. Moorea has one side with a lake view and no parking lot views to speak of on the other sides. Pago Pago has three sides that are more garden view and one side that is the parking lot views, though some might also call this a "monorail view" as well.

They are all a short walk from the Oasis pool as well as the TTC.

jaklgreen

The Lava pool is MUCH quieter than the Oasis pool. They don't do any megaphone games or anything at all aimed towards kids. My experience has been there is very few kids there during the day. Mostly just a bunch of adults sipping booze and laying around... I highly recommend this activity, by the way 🤣 The servers at the bar will come by and take your order and bring you whatever you need. It's one of the things that sold me on Poly DVC

This was our experience also. It is a very nice pool that most people lounge about.

Weather_Lady

I wanted to thank everyone so much for your insights and feedback. I think based on the info you provided, we are going to try to move forward and try to rent the points for the poly stay!

I hope you love it as much as we did! Our Poly stay was a 2-night splurge at the end of a week spent between the Hard Rock Hotel at Universal and the Beach Club at Disney (yes, we did a 3-hotel-split-stay and lived to tell the tale!), and it remains our very favorite hotel (and favorite DVC studio) of all time!

Club Cooloholic

I hope you love it as much as we did! Our Poly stay was a 2-night splurge at the end of a week spent between the Hard Rock Hotel at Universal and the Beach Club at Disney (yes, we did a 3-hotel-split-stay and lived to tell the tale!), and it remains our very favorite hotel (and favorite DVC studio) of all time!
I have to agree there, the room is great and I also love the balcony sizes

Marc Levin

Hi Everyone! My husband and I are planning our 2020 trip. It will be the first time we rent DVC points and, if all goes as planned, our first stay at the Poly. For our last trip we stayed at WL. We loved it, but our room was poolside and we found the noise in the afternoon to be too much for us. Mostly it was someone on a megaphone yelling out games and stuff to entertain people. I'm not sure if this is something that is implemented at all the resort pools. I guess I'm wondering if the Oasis pool is really noisy/does the megaphone thing or if that's mostly contained to the Lava pool? It sounds like we might be risking some noise at any longhouse (either parking lot, TCC, ferries, or pool) and I'm just trying to figure out what might make the most sense to us.

I'd like to try to get a stay in the Tokelau longhouse, but I know it's going to be a deal breaker if we have to hear megaphone games when we're getting our nap in.

Staying here right now. The pools aren’t that different size wise, just different shape, so there’s not really a “smaller pool” as such. The lava pool is loud and busy as you’d expect, but the other pool is dubbed the “quiet pool”, and is generally not very packed and quite calming and quiet. You still occasionally have kids being kids, but nothing like the Lava pool. It’s really nice.

stratman50th

I know this is a couple of months old but I just saw it. We've stayed at the Poly 5 times over the years. Have stayed in the Tokelau all of those times. We really loved it there. Rooms were large, loved the balcony and the themeing. The Oasis pool was the best and quiet, no games or noise. We spent a lot of time there. The only time it was kind of loud and crowded was when they had a "biological incident" at the Lava pool and it was closed for um, cleaning. Everybody moved to the Oasis. :( Aside for that one time we loved the Poly and the pool! Last time we stayed there was 2010 so take that for what it's worth. We have been several times since just walking the grounds. One plus for the Tokelau is when you go to the ground floor and walk out the back door you can walk up the hill and be at the "point" where the Magic Kingdom fireworks are readily visible and they pipe in the music from the display.

stratman50th

@stratman50th it has been awhile since you used the Oasis pool. 😉
This is what it looks like now ~

View attachment 419986

View attachment 419985

View attachment 419983

View attachment 419984

Also, Sunset Point was demolished when the Bungalows were built. :cry:
Oh wow! We walked around last Dec (2018) but landed at the monorail port. (O'hana reservations). We walked a little but went in the opposite direction of the Oasis pool. It actually looks really nice and still doesn't seem too crowded? Really sorry to hear about the point. That was a really nice perk. :(
I guess all things must change....
I really liked the Poly. We bought a "condo on wheels" several years ago so we could travel more to different places and still have our own place. We've been to WDW twice in the last year and stayed at Fort Wilderness. That is still a reasonable price to us as we've paid more elsewhere and got less.

TXDisney

There's always a risk of noise, as you say, but when we stayed at the Polynesian we didn't hear any noise coming from any of the pools during the day, even though we criss-crossed the property frequently. I know there were some games and music, etc. scheduled at the Lava(Volcano feature) pool or on the lawn in the afternoons, but we never heard them happening (although I'm sure they weren't noiseless!), and there was never anything scheduled at the quiet (Oasis) pool. Granted, our stay was in February 2018, so hopefully someone who's visited more recently can testify about whether this has changed since then. If it's a concern, however, you can always politely ask at check-in if a quieter location is available, if you find that your room is too close to the Lava pool (or to any then-ongoing construction) for your liking.

FWIW, we stayed in a DVC studio on rented points as well. We asked for Tokelau, given its central location, but ended up in Moorea. I can't complain as Moorea was only 3-4 minutes further from the Grand Ceremonial House than Tokelau (which, of course, made it 3-4 minutes closer to the TTC), and our room was wonderful: close to an outside entrance and whisper-quiet, facing only greenery, walking paths and the Pogo-Pogo longhouse across the way.
I requested Tokelau for our trip in a week. Hopefully I will get it. But obviously there's no guarantee with requests.

TXDisney

WE have loads of family meeting us for a "pool" day next sunday. Is it worth it to get a cabana at the oasis pool for us?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom