First time at PO:R, "Royal Rooms"

shmmrname

Original Poster
My wife was able to change our resort for our upcoming NOV trip to PO:R (a Royal Room with a water view) from CSR. We can't justify the expense of a Deluxe, but we're super-happy that at least we get to try the only Moderate we haven't gotten into yet.

Is there any tips/tricks we should know?

What's the one thing we 'must do' that's different at PO:R versus the other resorts?

real mad hatter

Well Congratulations.You have picked my favourite resort..To be honest CBR and POFQ were great also,but PORS had that wee bit extra magic dust for me..Ok..Are we sitting comfortable..Then lets begin..The Royal rooms are awesome at Parterre Place & Oak Manor..( stayed at PP twice,before they went Royal ) My number one favourite thing to do at PORS is take the boat to downtown,it's about a 20 minute cruise,very relaxing.The boats run every 20 mins or so,I believe they have about ten in their fleet..The food court is excellent ( many think its the best in WDW property ) Try the " create your own pasta " and also the " carving station "...The main shop Fulton's is large and had everything you could possibly need..Of course the grounds are beautifully kept and I love an early morning stroll to the food court just as the bakery opens..P.S.Dont miss out on the ultimate snack..The MCB also known as The Magic Cookie Bar.:hungry:..Lets not forget our old pal " Yee Haw Bob " for his piano talents in the evening ( not my cup of tea ) but has a big fan base..The restaurant " Boatwrights " is also worth a mention.Has really improved over the years..And before you leave.Stand on the bridge looking south down the Sassagoula river..close your eyes..and toss a dime into the river whilst making a wish..Theres an old story attached to this ..All in all I'am sure you'll have a magical time..;)

shmmrname

Original Poster
Well Congratulations.You have picked my favourite resort..To be honest CBR and POFQ were great also,but PORS had that wee bit extra magic dust for me..Ok..Are we sitting comfortable..Then lets begin..The Royal rooms are awesome at Parterre Place & Oak Manor..( stayed at PP twice,before they went Royal ) My number one favourite thing to do at PORS is take the boat to downtown,it's about a 20 minute cruise,very relaxing.The boats run every 20 mins or so,I believe they have about ten in their fleet..The food court is excellent ( many think its the best in WDW property ) Try the " create your own pasta " and also the " carving station "...The main shop Fulton's is large and had everything you could possibly need..Of course the grounds are beautifully kept and I love an early morning stroll to the food court just as the bakery opens..P.S.Dont miss out on the ultimate snack..The MCB also known as The Magic Cookie Bar.:hungry:..Lets not forget our old pal " Yee Haw Bob " for his piano talents in the evening ( not my cup of tea ) but has a big fan base..The restaurant " Boatwrights " is also worth a mention.Has really improved over the years..And before you leave.Stand on the bridge looking south down the Sassagoula river..close your eyes..and toss a dime into the river whilst making a wish..Theres an old story attached to this ..All in all I'am sure you'll have a magical time..;)

Thanks for the location suggestions. That's definitely helpful!

The boat is still a maybe for us. We likely won't have ADRs for DTD (still hoping for California Grill at Thanksgiving, lol), but I can see us going there for an hour or two instead of one of our planned mid-day breaks.

I will now try a Magic Cookie Bar, consider it done.

Yee Haw Bob is a maybe. I've heard about him through WDWToday, but I'll check out some YouTube entries too. I'm thinking he might not be in our alley either.

I love the charm each Moderate has, but from many of the threads/posts, I'm starting to expect PO:R to really be amazing. We've actually been Boatrights once (stayed at PO:FQ and went to Boatrights), but we didn't take the time to walk around the resort to really do it justice. Thanks again!

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
My wife was able to change our resort for our upcoming NOV trip to PO:R (a Royal Room with a water view) from CSR. We can't justify the expense of a Deluxe, but we're super-happy that at least we get to try the only Moderate we haven't gotten into yet.

Is there any tips/tricks we should know?

What's the one thing we 'must do' that's different at PO:R versus the other resorts?
Hope to see a trip report when you come back as we are planning for PO:R in 2015 and are looking into a royal room :D

real mad hatter

Hope to see a trip report when you come back as we are planning for PO:R in 2015 and are looking into a royal room :D
Just a Hatters opinion here..I think Royal Rooms will be more appreciated with families with kids,and I don't mean ours..Our DS last year was 14 years old and I think he would have said " Oh yeah! Great dad " We looked into the costs and considering the time we spend in the room we decided for just a normal room,but with all the new refurbs,it was awesome..The Fibre optic headboard looks awesome but the time I get in my room after the parks,it's lights out..Just my personnel opinion remember.;)

real mad hatter

Thanks for the location suggestions. That's definitely helpful!

The boat is still a maybe for us. We likely won't have ADRs for DTD (still hoping for California Grill at Thanksgiving, lol), but I can see us going there for an hour or two instead of one of our planned mid-day breaks.

I will now try a Magic Cookie Bar, consider it done.

Yee Haw Bob is a maybe. I've heard about him through WDWToday, but I'll check out some YouTube entries too. I'm thinking he might not be in our alley either.

I love the charm each Moderate has, but from many of the threads/posts, I'm starting to expect PO:R to really be amazing. We've actually been Boatrights once (stayed at PO:FQ and went to Boatrights), but we didn't take the time to walk around the resort to really do it justice. Thanks again!
Your Welcome..But I'd strongly suggest at least one trip down the Sassagoula.We did a shopping spree in downtown near our last day,and it was so easy to jump on a boat with all our souvenirs instead of a bus to get us back to PORS.;)

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
Just a Hatters opinion here..I think Royal Rooms will be more appreciated with families with kids,and I don't mean ours..Our DS last year was 14 years old and I think he would have said " Oh yeah! Great dad " We looked into the costs and considering the time we spend in the room we decided for just a normal room,but with all the new refurbs,it was awesome..The Fibre optic headboard looks awesome but the time I get in my room after the parks,it's lights out..Just my personnel opinion remember.;)
Its a case of DW wants the royal room so guess where we are astaying ;)

jkl2000

Hatter (or anyone else), I'm wondering what that wee bit extra is that makes you give the edge to POS over POFQ? If you were staying at POFQ what is it that would be pulling you over to POS? Some of the things you mentioned above? And did you find it a problem at POFQ not to have a TS restaurant on site, or did you just walk to POS when you needed it, if ever?

I'm sticking with POFQ but just wondering.

BTW, to the OP, there's a whole Port Orleans fan site if you haven't seen it already - quite useful:

http://www.portorleans.org/

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
Hatter (or anyone else), I'm wondering what that wee bit extra is that makes you give the edge to POS over POFQ? If you were staying at POFQ what is it that would be pulling you over to POS? Some of the things you mentioned above? And did you find it a problem at POFQ not to have a TS restaurant on site, or did you just walk to POS when you needed it, if ever?

BTW, to the OP, there's a whole Port Orleans fan site if you haven't seen it already - quite useful:

With us its just the whole look of the Riverside over FQ.Not worried about the walking (It's no that far really :rolleyes: ). Would loved to have stayed in AB (liked the more rustic "deliverance theme")but that seems to be family rooms now :(.

real mad hatter

The only things I preferred PORS to POFQ was the theme of RS and the food court ( lots more choice ) The fact that it has a TS restaurant isn't a big issue,had a meal in 2008 and wasn't impressed,but last year due to a thunderstorm,we grabbed a 8.30pm slot and the meal was superb.The store Fulton's is also superior..To be quite honest with you,I wouldn't mind staying at either.:happy:

real mad hatter

With us its just the whole look of the Riverside over FQ.Not worried about the walking (It's no that far really :rolleyes: ). Would loved to have stayed in AB (liked the more rustic "deliverance theme")but that seems to be family rooms now :(.
You know prior to our first stay at PORS. I was hoping for the Mansion buildings,and have had them three times..Twice at Parterre and once at Magnolia..But if I end up in AB on our 2015,I won't mind..As long as there's no wee guy playing a banjo outside my room..Here souee souee!:jawdrop:...

habuma

PORS is definitely our favorite resort (disclaimer: the only other resort we've ever stayed at is Caribbean Beach Resort). There's just so much there, and I'm sure I'm repeating some tips already given, but...
  • Since you've got a royal room, be on the lookout for Hidden Mickeys. They're all over the place in there. On the table, in the fixtures, in the wall art...everywhere. I can think of a half-dozen or more off of the top of my head without looking at my photos.
  • Speaking of Hidden Mickeys, if you find yourself in or near Parterre Place, there are some HMs in the iron railings. Not so obvious, but easy to spot once you know where to look.
  • Boatwrights is pretty good. I recommend their French Onion Soup, which is essentially the same French Onion Soup I got at Be Our Guest. Can't beat a good soup with a half-inch layer of cheese on top!
  • Take a camera. PORS is full of photo opportunities. (Disclaimer: I'm a camera geek)
  • Take the boat down to and/or back from DtD. It's fun and relaxing.
  • Catch Yehaa Bob at the River Roost.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
We found the Royal room to be a "deluxe" room in a moderate resort. It was not "girly" but regal. The beds were more comfortable and the rich colors and gold faucets gave the room a more luxurious feel. And the fireworks in the headboards are just fun!

When we stay moderate, POFQ is our resort of choice (we like the smaller size) but if the discounts are better at POR, it is a Royal room all the way for us! The small upcharge is worth it.

And a Royal room with a standard view is a much better value than a regular room with a pool or river view. You can't see much out of the small window anyway.

shmmrname

Original Poster
We found the Royal room to be a "deluxe" room in a moderate resort. It was not "girly" but regal. The beds were more comfortable and the rich colors and gold faucets gave the room a more luxurious feel. And the fireworks in the headboards are just fun!

When we stay moderate, POFQ is our resort of choice (we like the smaller size) but if the discounts are better at POR, it is a Royal room all the way for us! The small upcharge is worth it.

And a Royal room with a standard view is a much better value than a regular room with a pool or river view. You can't see much out of the small window anyway.
The Royal Room is my wife's choice, so I don't have too much of a say in the matter. I've looked at a few pictures, so I know what to expect. It looks like nice little touches that add up to just a little bit extra. I don't think the small touches will be lost on us, even though we're probably not the demographic (we're kid-less).

shmmrname

Original Poster
I actually plan on doing a trip report during/after this trip. It's been a while since our last trip, and only recently have I realized how cool it is to go back and see the little details I would've forgotten about if I didn't write it down somewhere in the first place.

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
I actually plan on doing a trip report during/after this trip. It's been a while since our last trip, and only recently have I realized how cool it is to go back and see the little details I would've forgotten about if I didn't write it down somewhere in the first place.
Found that with my recent TR looking back even after this short time i found myself asking "Did we really do all that" ?

shmmrname

Original Poster
PORS is definitely our favorite resort (disclaimer: the only other resort we've ever stayed at is Caribbean Beach Resort). There's just so much there, and I'm sure I'm repeating some tips already given, but...
  • Since you've got a royal room, be on the lookout for Hidden Mickeys. They're all over the place in there. On the table, in the fixtures, in the wall art...everywhere. I can think of a half-dozen or more off of the top of my head without looking at my photos.
  • Speaking of Hidden Mickeys, if you find yourself in or near Parterre Place, there are some HMs in the iron railings. Not so obvious, but easy to spot once you know where to look.
  • Boatwrights is pretty good. I recommend their French Onion Soup, which is essentially the same French Onion Soup I got at Be Our Guest. Can't beat a good soup with a half-inch layer of cheese on top!
  • Take a camera. PORS is full of photo opportunities. (Disclaimer: I'm a camera geek)
  • Take the boat down to and/or back from DtD. It's fun and relaxing.
  • Catch Yehaa Bob at the River Roost.
Thanks!
My wife is the photographer-type, so she'll be doing the picture taking. But, we do plan on spending some time actually appreciating the resort and the theming. I'm looking forward to checking-in and really digesting the whole place.

shmmrname

Original Poster
Found that with my recent TR looking back even after this short time i found myself asking "Did we really do all that" ?
Ha, we've second-guessed our plans a bit over the past couple of weeks. We're not a commando-style touring couple anymore, but even at our more-relaxed pace it's crazy to see how much you actually get done if you break it all down in a TR.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom