First Night Fun

HunnyPot

Hello everyone! I haven't been on here too long, and this is my first thread, but I am needing some help. I have seen a few things on here like this before, but didn't get what I was looking for using the search feature.

What are some fun/relaxing things to do the first night? We are going in January with some friends and staying at CB. One member of our group has never been to WDW EVER and it has been one of her dreams. So, her husband is surprising her with the trip it for Christmas. :xmas: Heres the situation: We are all going to be arriving from different states around 5 or 6 pm the first night. I don't think any of us will want to head into the parks because we will be really tired from driving in. Plus, that time of year the parks aren't open as late ( I don't think) so we are looking for something fun to do, that won't be too tiring. I was thinking maybe eat at Downtown Disney, but we really want this trip to be magical from the start to finish for our disney "virgin." Any suggestions that might be a really spectacular way to start our trip?

Also, what is the weather like in January?

Sorry if this repeats too much for anyone...I don't want to be like the Harry Potter ride threads...man there are a lot of those!

Thanks! :wave:

wdwishes2005

HunnyPot said:
Hello everyone! I haven't been on here too long, and this is my first thread, but I am needing some help. I have seen a few things on here like this before, but didn't get what I was looking for using the search feature.

What are some fun/relaxing things to do the first night? We are going in January with some friends and staying at CB. One member of our group has never been to WDW EVER and it has been one of her dreams. So, her husband is surprising her with the trip it for Christmas. :xmas: Heres the situation: We are all going to be arriving from different states around 5 or 6 pm the first night. I don't think any of us will want to head into the parks because we will be really tired from driving in. Plus, that time of year the parks aren't open as late ( I don't think) so we are looking for something fun to do, that won't be too tiring. I was thinking maybe eat at Downtown Disney, but we really want this trip to be magical from the start to finish for our disney "virgin." Any suggestions that might be a really spectacular way to start our trip?

Also, what is the weather like in January?

Sorry if this repeats too much for anyone...I don't want to be like the Harry Potter ride threads...man there are a lot of those!

Thanks! :wave:

downtown disney is great! we usually get in fairly late, and hit DtD the first night every time! it realll gets you in the disney feel. eat at one of the nice restaurants there and relax, you have a big next day!

Upvote 0

ssidiouss@mac.c

This is very simple.

What you do for the most impressive intro to disney world at night is this :

1. Go to Epcot around 6:00pm if possible.. just make sure its after dark when you walk in.

2. The first thing these new disney virgins will see is the HUGE Epcot ball.. all the cool lights.. and the amazing small stuff like cement sidewalks that light up in the dark, jumping colored fountains, etc.

3. Take your time.. walk thru the futureworld towards the world showcase. Dont do any rides.. just point to the left and right and say "oh we'll be doing that ride later in the week etc"

4. Walk thru the new club cool (formely ice station cool) and get some free samples of sodas from around the world. This would be a cool thing for them to see something free in Disney World :)

5. Enter the World Showcase and head left around the lake. Peak into Mexico's pavillion to show them the inside the pyramid for a few seconds.

6. Walk past Norway and walk into germany's pavillion.

7. By this time it should be getting close to Illuminations and the lamps around the park should be turned off and the fire torches should be lit up.. adding alot of ambiance to the countries.

8. Walk thru the germany pavilion and show them the inside of the biergarten.. mmm.. smells good.. tell them they will be eating and drinking there later in the trip.

9. Grab some snacks somehere.. something small you can carry with you.. either in germany or Japan. Sit down on a bench, eat your pretzel or whatever snack you grabbed, and listen to the cool countdown "you have 15 minutes to illuminations."

10. "You have 5 minutes to illuminations."

11. WATCH THE BEST, MOST IMPRESSIVE, SHOW EVER!! ILLUMINATIONS!!

12. If you guys have alot of energy left.. then walk out the side door of th world showcase to the boardwalk area where you can go to the espn bar or jellyrolls. The buses at the boardwalk will take you back to your hotel.

13. Or if you dont have alot of energy left.. then walk thru the front of epcot while taking time to stop at the main souvineer shops thar are still left open to grab a few things on ur way to the bus's in the front.

:sohappy: :xmas: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

ssidiouss@mac.c

papercut said:
We're doing Downtown Disney our first night and also Cirque Du Soleil. I figure it's mostly sitting still and enjoying.

To me.. after sitting still either in a car for many hours or on a plane for many hours on the way to disney world.. sitting still would be anti-climatic. Most people rest all day while traveling to disneyworld (with the rare exception of the person who is controlling the car.) After all that rest.. I think its kinda dissapointing to say.. "okay after a full day of sitting on planes, busses, cars.. we are now at disneyworld and will now sit all night! woohOO!" hehe :snore:

Thats why i always like to walk a bit the first night.. not do rides.. just walk thru the epcot countries and see illuminations. Or maybe walkt thru magic kindom and see wishes.. either way is good for me :sohappy:

Upvote 0

DisneyPants

what you do is this...book yourself reservations for the California Grill on top of the Contemporary Resort...enjoy an amazing dinner and relax with an amazing view of the lagoon and MK...and have your Disney virgin be introduced to "wishes" from the best view possible...oh and by the way, if possible as for Walter as a waiter...he is simply the best waiter ive ever seen and is Disney all the way...over the years hes become a friend of the family and is an all around great guy

Upvote 0

Firewolfe51

Hit Downtown Disney, bum around a while, then eat at the Rainforest :slurp: ....our favorite. Don't stay out too late...so you can get up early for the big 1st day! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Highland_Holly

Chef Mickey's is a great way to start a Disney vacation! We always do that on our first day for dinner and have breakfast at 1900 Park Faire on our last day.

Holly :kiss:

Upvote 0

jcat2312

ssidiouss@mac.c said:
This is very simple.

What you do for the most impressive intro to disney world at night is this :

4. Walk thru the new club cool (formely ice station cool) and get some free samples of sodas from around the world. This would be a cool thing for them to see something free in Disney World :)

:sohappy: :xmas: :sohappy:

When did Club Cool open up? The last I heard was that Ice Station would be closed for 6 months....

Upvote 0

dave2822

Lots of different things you can do. My suggestions:

1. As you hinted towards, don't do a park. You'll be tired, there will be no time to get anything done, it's a waste of a park day. Plus Disney parks are always a bit intimidating at night for a newbie, finding the exit with 50,000 other people is not a great first impression.

2. Downtown Disney or the Boardwalk serve as great options. Whether or not you are partiers, there are great options at both places either way. This is the best way to go.

3. If looking for something different, perhaps try spending some time at different resorts, hop around the MK monorail loop, maybe make reservations for Chef Mickey's, etc.

4. Watching fireworks outside the park at night for a first timer? Eh, I wouldn't. Got to experience it up close the first time.

5. Don't make it a late night.

Upvote 0

SpenceMan01

I'd recommend DtD as well. You don't want to waste a park day on 2 or 3 hours, it's just not worth it. DtD will acquaint them with the Disney ambience and whet their appetite for the actual parks. If you want, you could go for a round of mini-golf at Winter-Summerland or Fantasia Gardens.

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
In January we spent the evening at DTD and then headed over to the Polynesian, walked on the beach a while, and then had dinner at 'Ohana during Wishes. It was the best "first night" I've ever had in Disney!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom