First Night at WDW Alone - Suggestions?

CelticGal

Hi everyone,

Just one week until my next WDW trip on the 11th! However, my friend who'll be touring the parks with me won't be flying in until noon of the next day. I'm staying at All-Star Music and won't have a car...and I don't want to start using my Park Hopper until my friend gets here.

Any suggestions about what to do that first night by myself? I do love Cuban food, but is Bongos really worth it when you've been to real Cuban places?

Thanks!

lebernadin

CelticGal said:
I do love Cuban food, but is Bongos really worth it when you've been to real Cuban places?

I'm not sure what you're insinuating; are there chain restaurants in your area that misrepresent Cuban cuisine?

Anyways, Bongos is a good restaurant, i wouldn't consider it to be "fake" at all. Give it a try, but maybe wait til your friend arrives. They also have a counter with empenadas and iron beer among other quick eats if you just want a snack.

Upvote 0

the_riot

Solo at the World

There are plenty of things you can do alone at WDW. I just had a solo trip there in April and i'll be there again solo starting the 11th as well.
Jump on the busses and/or monorail and resort hop. Theres plenty to see at the resorts alone. Shopping, great restaurants, and the whole feeling of being in a different world (due to the theming). Downtown Disney for sure is fun as well ( I love it there) So don't feel like theres nothing for the solo traveler. I love it.
Hope some of this helps.

Upvote 0

raven

Everytime I see a thread on "going single" or "wdw for 1" I have to reply. I have been doing it for years. There is NOTHING to worry about. You can have so much fun by yourself. Don't hesitate anymore. Just go out to Downtown Disney and have a ball shopping or something.

Upvote 0

MCMike37

CelticGal said:
I do love Cuban food, but is Bongos really worth it when you've been to real Cuban places?

In my opinion, no. I've only eaten at a few "authentic" Cuban restaurants, two being in Key West which blew my socks off. Personally, the last time I was there alone, I went into The House Of Blues for a beer and a bowl of chowder and people watched a little.

Upvote 0

rosebud's mom

I haven't been there yet, but after reading the thread elsewhere on the forums about the Adventurer's Club in Pleasure Island I would have to say thats the place to try even if you pay for it separately so as not to activate your pass.

Upvote 0

nickcarraway

I know exactly how you feel. On my last trip, I was kicking it solo for a day before my posse arrived. I’m not a big shopper, so Downtown Disney is sort of a bore. And I wouldn’t even think of seeing a movie while in the happiest place on earth! So this is what I did: I took a tour of Saratoga Springs. I wasn’t planning on buying into DVC, but it was fun and I received a free lunch. Geeze, that place is very Celebration-y. Afterwards, I strolled through the golf course. I don’t care about golf; I just wanted to see the old tree houses a.k.a. Disney Institute. There’s a little path that goes right to them. They were very empty. And then I resorted hopped. Got a drink at Poly. People watched. In the evening, I took a dip in hot tub. Then, I went back to my room and watched Kryssa. She’s fun.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Explore Transportation

You can have a lot of fun checking out the various modes of transportation. Take the monorail loops through the Seven Seas loop, then Epcot. Busses are OK, use to explore AKL or WL. Boats are a lot of fun, going through various resorts, you can stop and do a lot at Boardwalk, and as others have said, Downtown Disney.

Consider heading over to the Spa at Grand Floridian for a massage, manicure etc.

The Pleasure Island suggestion is a good one.
Maybe consider Wolfgang Puck rather than Bongo's (but be sure it is the Cafe [back of building on first floor]) Another nice dinner spot with Atmosphere would be at Animal Kingdom Lodge..then after there are some nice places to walk the grounds and possibly see an animal or two.

Upvote 0

TheDisneyGirl02

There are some great options mentioned on the board! What about catching a performance of La Numba? It's a great show! Resort hopping is also fun! You can just go to the MK and walk around the front (before entering the gates). The possibilities are endless! Have a great trip!

TheDisneyGirl02

Upvote 0

nicholas

I agree with others. Downtown Disney would be a good choice. Or try resort hopping and just seeing what the others ones are like. Maybe catch a drink and a swim at your resort.

Upvote 0

MCMike37

lebernadin said:
What do you find un-authentic with what they offer?

Honestly, I couldn't tell you since I have only eaten there once. I guess I should have given it another chance, but oh well. So really in the end, I shouldn't have said anything:lol:

Upvote 0

Tenny317

I'm in the same situation for my trip in 11 days!!! I'm gonna go to DTD and possible hit up Disney quest! I've only been there once and I got sick so I wanna experience it for real! It seems interesting to do!

Upvote 0

lebernadin

MCMike37 said:
Honestly, I couldn't tell you since I have only eaten there once. I guess I should have given it another chance, but oh well. So really in the end, I shouldn't have said anything:lol:

Well i didn't mean to "silence" your opinion; just curious what you felt wasn't authentic about the staples of their menu over the years. Being in the business, its difficult when people make broadstroke critiques about restaurants not being authentic, or being too noisy et al and it severely hurting their reputation.

Now granted Bongos was created by millionaires who don't live by the ebbs and flows in the profits of the 3 Bongos. But still, from a culinary standpoint, what they offer is authentic. Yes, its in the middle of a disney shopping area and they have bongos tshirts etc for sale. But the dishes they offer are the staples of Cuban cuisine so from a foodie standpoint, its "the real thing."

Yeah, give them another try sometime. There's also a chain that started in Coconut Grove called Cafe Tu Tu Tango that has had a location on I-Drive for almost ten years that serves Tapas that i'd recommend.

:wave:

Upvote 0

crazydaveh

I have a suggestion...

I often visit the world as you do, and have to wait a day for others to make their way to see the Mouse... I like to take the monorail over to EPCOT when Illuminations is taking place. You can ride around SSE and see all the fireworks and stuff.

I usually try and get on the monorail about 3 minutes before Illuminations begins, this way I can catch it!

Sometimes you see great stuff, others you don't! It's worth the try!

You can always enjoy a game and a beer at ESPN Club too!

Have fun!

Upvote 0

AEfx

nickcarraway said:
And I wouldn’t even think of seeing a movie while in the happiest place on earth!

I hear this a lot, and it's usually from people who live in large cities (I see you are from Brooklyn) :) - not everyone lives near mega-theatres like Lincoln Square with balconies, high-quality sound, and multi-levels. The theatres at DTD and over at Universal are increible, state-of-the-art cinemas.

Seeing a film at DTD is a perfect thing to do on the first night or any other time you have a couple of hours to spend and you can't/don't want to go to the parks, especially if you don't normally get to visit these types of theatres at home.

AEfx

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom