First Disneyland Trip

rljackson

Original Poster
I have been to Disney World several times but never Disneyland. Our family is going to San Diego March 16th through the 26th and we are planning on driving up to Disneyland and Universal, possibly on separate days but may also spend the night and do both over two days. I have several questions.

Is it crowded that time of year?

How is the weather?

How long is the drive from San Diego to Disneyland and Universal? I will be in the "old town" area of San Diego and expect to get up early and drive there that morning to arrive an hour before opening at either park.

I am a big fan of the Unofficial Guide Touring Plans for WDW but they do not do them for DL. Is there another company that does touring plans for DL and Universal Hollywood?

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer. We are really excited about seeing DL for the first time!

Nicole220

Hi! :wave: You're going to have a great time at DL! Just go with an open mind and realize that DL and WDW are a lot different. Are you also going to spend some time in DCA? Despite what other people say, it's a great park if you give it a chance! Plus, there's hardly any crowds.

You are going during the slow season, so here's a list of what is going to be down, and I'm sorry to say that Fantasmic is one of them: Disneyland Railroad, Splash Mountain, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Tom Sawyer's Island, and Fantasmic.

Some things that are must see are: Indy, Space Mountain (from Jan- April it'll be Rockin' Space Mountain, which means it'll have a light show and a new soundtrack), HM, POTC, and the Matterhorn. The parade that will be going on is the Parade of Dreams which is good, I like it a lot. Remember...Dreams Come True is the fireworks show, and it is amazing!

March should'nt be a crowded time for DL unless you go on the weekend. So try and avoid the weekends if you can because that is when all the APs go.

The drive from San Diego to Anaheim should take you anywhere from 1 hr and 30 min to 2 hrs. I don't really know because I havn't done the drive, but that's the estimate that map quest gave me. Also know that there's always a lot of traffic in CA.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! I hope you have a wonderful time at DL!! :animwink:

rljackson

Original Poster
Thanks for the help! We were not planning on DCA because I didn't think we could do both in one day. However, if we could do both then I guess we should. What do you think?

Sorry to hear about the closures, especially Splash Mountain (a favorite)and Mr. Toads Wild Ride which we have never done and was looking forward to. Thanks for that information. I am delighted to hear it is a slow time. Our trips to WDW have always been very crowded as it is Spring Break. We will definately plan on going during the week.

I guess if crowds are not a problem I don't need a touring plan like we used for WDW. They really came in handy for getting through the park when it is busy.

Tnaks again for the help!

Rufus T Firefly

You would definately have a problem trying to see both parks in just one day. DL will probably be closing by 9PM, and DCA as early as 6PM. You will need two days minimum to do both parks properly.

isitingood

I have been to Disney World several times but never Disneyland. Our family is going to San Diego March 16th through the 26th and we are planning on driving up to Disneyland and Universal, possibly on separate days but may also spend the night and do both over two days. I have several questions.

Is it crowded that time of year?

How is the weather?

How long is the drive from San Diego to Disneyland and Universal? I will be in the "old town" area of San Diego and expect to get up early and drive there that morning to arrive an hour before opening at either park.

I am a big fan of the Unofficial Guide Touring Plans for WDW but they do not do them for DL. Is there another company that does touring plans for DL and Universal Hollywood?

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer. We are really excited about seeing DL for the first time!

The crowds won't be to bad in March I will be at Dl the first week of April so we won't be far off from each other. The temp on average is around 70 degrees and will still get a little chilly at night so bring a sweater:wave: It will take around 90 min from S.D to Anaheim with no traffic and add another hour to Universal, If you have time try and eat at Goofy's Kitchen it is by far the best character meal at DL or WDW.

Aurora_25

I went to DL once on a weekend (the only time I could go) and managed to do almost everything on my list- although the Castle was covered with a big green tarp and the Matterhorn was down at the time. I started in Fantasyland because someone suggested that to me. We got there before the gates opened and went there first- no waits at all because everyone was just starting out in other areas. Then we just went to the rest of the park, then went over to DCA and road Soarin (when they first had it open...) and did a couple other things (watched the Aladdin musical) and then finished before the parks closed. Now, since some things were closed that's how we got more in, but it was a fun day- just wish I would have had more time just to sit and enjoy being in DisneyLand

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom