First Cruise

Tom

Beta Return
It really doesn't matter, in general. Every avid cruiser has their favorites, and can offer pros and cons of each deck, each end of the ship, and so on.

Decide first what type of cabin you want. Inside with no view? Outside with a porthole? A balcony? Once you determine that, it helps narrow down which decks you can be on.

We've stayed on the top deck, and a mid-level deck, forward and midship. I suffer from severe motion sickness, and my location on the ship never affected me one way or the other, except when in dining rooms.

EOD K9

My last three sailings on the Dream were on deck 6. I think it is in a good spot as were are not right under decks 11 and 12.....therefore not a lot of noise. Its all preference really.

tmitch

We were on the 2nd deck on the dream for our first cruise, and the 9th for our 2nd(same boat). We're on the fantasy next sept on the 9th deck as well. There is nothing wrong with deck 2, we had an ocean view, as your close to restaurants and the lobby. We had zero noise issues either. We just use deck 9 now because we like the verandah, and are blessed to be able to afford the extra charge. If not, I would not hesitate for a second to rebook deck 2 oceanview

jme

As others have said, it's definitely a personal preference issue. I enjoy the upper decks (closer to pools, buffets, etc.) and some prefer lower decks (closer to kids clubs, restaurants, etc.) Some will say the lower decks (specifically the handful of rooms on Deck 2) will have a noise issue with the engines, or possibly cause more motion sickness. Some will say the opposite. You'll find the same even-split response for Forward, Aft, or Midship.
How about you tell us the features you're looking for (things you want to be close to, things you want to be away from, etc) and what type of room your interested in and we can help. Some people, for instance, like being close to elevators for convenience, while others want to avoid them because of the additional foot traffic/hallway noise.

MaryJaneP

As aforesaid, any room could be ideal for your expectations. We do not think any room is best nor are we aware of any that need to be avoided. Also, how much time do you really expect to spend in your room? There is just so much to do outside your room that other than sleeping, we spent very little time in our rooms.

HollyAD

To me it depends on what your needs are. We have been on Deck 2 and Deck 6 of the Wonder. There was a plumbing issue in our room on Deck 2 so we had to move to another room. I had no complaints being on deck 2 but we had to move. Deck 6 offered little difference in the quality of sleep/ noise/ motion issues. However, it did offer the option of taking the steps instead of elevator. It was closer to the kid activities also. I would choose an available room that is closest to what you will be walking to most often. If you have kids that are going to be in the kids areas than choosing closer to that area may save you a few steps. If it is more important to be closer to food, drink areas, or the theater then choose something closer to that location.

The90skid

If you are concerned about seasickness, middle, middle, middle! Middle of the ship lengthwise, inside room (i.e., no porthole), and one of the middle decks. If you have never been on a cruise, don't rule out an inside room! You won't be spending much time in your room anyway if you want to take advantage of all the ship has to offer!

Phonedave

Unless they have added soundproofing, or got their DJ to turn down the volume, the rooms above the club on the Dream are horrible. I might as well have been in the club trying to sleep. I had to call every night, sometimes multiple times. Funny thing is, that was an upgraded room. We had a oceanview room for this cruise, but got a GTY upgrade to balcony. Some upgrade.

-dave

EOD K9

Unless they have added soundproofing, or got their DJ to turn down the volume, the rooms above the club on the Dream are horrible. I might as well have been in the club trying to sleep. I had to call every night, sometimes multiple times. Funny thing is, that was an upgraded room. We had a oceanview room for this cruise, but got a GTY upgrade to balcony. Some upgrade.

-dave
I've learned to look at the deck plans now to see what my room will be above. I have a room booked below the spa on the Magic next year. I'm banking on the fact it will be quiet.

KCL

My opinion is a little skewed because we were in a handicap room on the inside of Deck 2 on the majestic Fantasy which was absolutely huge. I think the service area and laundry was next to our room and I couldn't have cared less. It was easy to take stairs and walk to the restaurants and such that were on the lower decks. The rest of the time we took the elevator and it was no big deal. I agree with others there that overall it seems a quieter but then again I haven't had experience on other sleeping decks yet.

rob0519

We've only been on one DCL cruise and our room was on Deck 8 of the Wonder. Elevators were a bit of a problem when needed, but overall we liked it because the pool and the buffet and the coffee shop were just one deck up and we could easily take the stairs. About 6:00 or 6:30 though the crew would start washing down the deck above us and you could hear the lounge chairs being pushed and dragged. I just treated it as an alarm clock.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom