fireworks info for a newbie

Jackiep9

Original Poster
We are making our first trip to Disney World on Monday and I'm looking for some info about viewing fireworks. We are traveling with our 4 and 1 year olds so I'd like to make this as simple as possible and am considering skipping it altogether. Is there a way to view the fireworks at any of the parks without getting too immersed in crowds or having to set up camp hours ahead of time? Is there a more remote location where you can still see the fireworks even if it's far away? We are staying at Art of Animation - any chance of seeing some from there?

We got a tip from someone who went recently that the parade at Animal Kingdom is great for little kids and also much less attended, but it looks like it takes place in the afternoon and doesn't involve fireworks. So if we watch a parade there, we would probably just be trying to view fireworks somewhere else.

Thanks for any advice.

docdebbi

you can be as close or as far away from the fireworks as you would like. if you want to be close, main st is excellent. also in fantasyland, they shoot them off all around you. that is TOTALLY immersive, we really love it there, but you don't get the beautiful choreographed views they are designed to give. you can see the fireworks from pretty much anywhere in Magic Kingdom, so you can be as close or as far as you want.
if you want to be semi close- consider doing the wishes dessert party from tomorrowland terrace.
a llittle further out would be to take a pirates and pals cruise and be on the lake while they are going on, this is designed specifically for fireworks viewing
even further out would be to view them from the beaches or grounds of polynesian, grand floridian, or contemporary hotels. you might consider eating at the California Grill and going out onto the observation deck to watch. but this is a rather upscale meal, we take our kids there all the time- since birth- but I admit it is a challenge with young ones. It is a very nice experience, so you really need to keep the kids quietly entertained or take them out to walk around while they are not eating to be fair to others.

the afternoon parade at animal kingdom is great for kids, but it has either ended or is ending soon, i am not sure of the exact date. but i would check before planning on going.

javy2004

I've viewed the fireworks from behind Cinderella's castle in Fantasyland and it provides and interesting prospective of the fireworks and they go off in front of and behind you and unless it's a truly busy day, that area won't be very crowded. I've heard and saw a few pic from watching them from the bridge to Beast's castle has a great view as well. I doubt there are any fireworks viewable from Art of Animation though. Illuminations at EPCOT is also a pretty impressive show which includes great water effects, fire effects and great lighting as well as some intense fireworks and getting a great view is pretty easy as well. Hope this helps and have a great time :) I'm going to the parks myself for a few days on monday!

JillC LI

Unless you want prime viewing along Main Street, you don't have to camp out for a spot to see the fireworks at the MK for "hours." Unless it's peak season with very high crowd levels, you can find a decent spot less than a half hour beforehand. Keep in mind though that there will be a mass exodus from the Park after the display ends, so if you are not close to the exit, and if you are relying on Disney bus service, it may take you some time to get back to your resort. When my kids were 2 and 4, they were both terrified of firework booms so this may be something to consider.

As another poster said, you can also see the fireworks display called IllumiNations at EPCOT. A wonderful way to view them without camping out an hour beforehand for a good spot is to make a late dinner reservation at Rose & Crown Pub which is right on the lagoon where the fireworks take place and then stay/eat through the fireworks show. Again, there will be a mass exodus from the Park afterwards, but if you are at the restaurant, you can hang out there a bit until the crowds clear. (I just realized you said you are going this Monday so it is unlikely you will be able to get a reservation here at the last minute, but it never hurts to ask, if you're interested.)

PrincessNelly_NJ

In our personal experience the area between The Plaza Restaurant and the outdoor seating tend to be pretty empty... a little loud, but empty. I have heard the Tomorrowland bridge is a pretty good spot as well.

Last year I happened to be on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad during "Wishes." It was an amazing experience. Main Street is probably best place to view the fireworks in Magic Kingdom, but the crowds are large. My favorite location is on the beach at the Poly. You can relax and watch the show.

Chernaboggles

We've been watching them from all over the park. Every angle makes it a different experience, and from some places certain aspects of the show are lost (like Tinkerbell's flight). However, if your goal is to let your little ones see fireworks without being smothered in a crowd, here are some suggestions:

-Standing behind the Carousel (they go off all around you! Might be scary to a tiny child, though.)

-Sitting at the tables across from the Cheshire Cat Cafe (similar to above, they go off right on top of you. VERY loud!)

-From outside the pirates shop that you exit into when you get off Pirates of the Caribbean (not a great view, but you can see the big ones sparkling over the tops of the buildings. This is a good option if your kids don't like noises and you just want them to see the big sparkly ones.

-From Tomorrowland, when you come out of that shop (Merchant of Venus, maybe?) with all the stitch stuff.

-The villains parking lot (Scar, I think). We saw them from our car when we left early one night.

Update: Wishes started right as we got off Pirates tonight, so we watched from a spot between Splash Mountain & Peccos Bill's. It's not at all the same show as you'd see from front-on facing the castle, but the big fireworks go high above the trees and there's a speaker right there so the music is very clear. There were only one or two people around (admittedly, it was a light crowd tonight, but still), we had a big patch of wall to sit on with nobody nearby. Very nice! Not as loud or intense as having them go off right on top of you, but still plenty big and sparkly.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom