Fireworks Cruise Questions

wdwfan100

Original Poster
My wife and I are planning a trip to Disney this Oct. It has been a very long year for us. My father has been battling cancer, and in April he was put into Hospice. I have been away from home for extended periods of time to help care for him. My wife has been an angel during all of this. It has been difficult for her having me away from home for so long. I would like to do something extra special for her/us while we are there. Has anyone been on a fireworks cruise? How long do they last and what is provided on them? What is the cost? How far in advance do I need to reserve? It just seems like a great way to have time together.

lumpydj

I took an Illuminations cruise. It was great! We all loved it. Try calling (407) 939-7529 for information. When we booked, I think it was 90 days prior - but you have to call first thing (before 7am eastern - and keep trying) because they book up fast.

I think our cruise was 90 minutes long - but I can't be sure. They cruised all around the lake then parked under the bridge at Epcot and we watched the show from there. It included snacks and drinks - but this may have changed since then (cutting costs). I went in 2005.

Good luck! :wave:

devoy1701

The price I'm seeing is $275+ tax for up to 6 people. I'm pretty sure that means $225 total, not per person...

Book it 90 days out....the line opens at 7am, but apparently you need to start calling 2 mins before 7 because it books up like CRAZY!!!!!!!

there are cruises for both IllumiNations and Wishes...

here's the link to the allears.net information about it. Hope I helped!!! :wave:

http://allears.net/btp/illum.htm

jerlev

We did a fireworks cruise last September. We chose the Illuminations cruise. I was a little disappointed with the fireworks cruise only because of the location. They park the boats under the bridge between the UK and France. You're basically at the same viewing location as the bridge, but lower. That is good and bad. The Rose & Crown restaurant comes out into the water there, so the viewing area is tight. You cannot see SSE from there, either. Just passing on one option. We still enjoyed it.

Next time, I would do the one at the Magic Kingdom. You are in the middle of the 7 Seas Lagoon. They pipe in the music.

If there are any special occasions, tell them in advance. They will decorate for the same price. They do have snacks (chips) and drinks (Coke products in cans) to enjoy on your cruise.

maryszhi

My wife and I are planning a trip to Disney this Oct. It has been a very long year for us. My father has been battling cancer, and in April he was put into Hospice. I have been away from home for extended periods of time to help care for him. My wife has been an angel during all of this. It has been difficult for her having me away from home for so long. I would like to do something extra special for her/us while we are there. Has anyone been on a fireworks cruise? How long do they last and what is provided on them? What is the cost? How far in advance do I need to reserve? It just seems like a great way to have time together.
also sorry about your father.
call disney for the cost since my parents are incharge of that

AEfx

We did a Wishes cruise last fall and it was amazing. We had heard mixed reports about Illuminations cruises (they seem to be real hit and miss) but the Wishes cruise was beyond our expectations.

I believe the smaller boats are $225+tax, and although we only had 4 people we opted for the larger boat with audio which cost $275+tax. We figured heck, for the extra fifty bucks we might as well go all out.

You meet your driver at one of the Marina's (we picked the Contemporary, but you can chose any of the three MK resorts), where he whisks away your credit card and returns with your reciept, and you head to the boat. They ask you to be there about an hour before the fireworks, and your scheduled departure is usually 30 minutes before.

On the boat are drinks and snacks provided as part of the package (canned Coke products and small bagged snacks like chips, etc.), but you can also have the meal catered with dinner or dessert, etc. at an additional cost.

The driver takes out for aproximately a half hour around the lagoon, telling you all about the different areas, Disney history, etc. (this depends on the driver and your wishes, if you want to just sit back and relax without the spiel you can get that too). During this time you make your way to the MK area in time to view the fireworks. Post-fireworks, you get another little tour on your way back to your original starting point. Takes about 60-70 minutes for the full ride.

Check out AllEarsnet for more info, that's the site I used when planning it and they had some great information. For a more reliable experience, I highly recommend the Wishes version - I can't imagine anything more magical.

AEfx

wdwfan100

Original Poster
I apologize for taking so long to thank all who responded to my thread. The information was very helpful and I do appreciate the responses.

tecowdw

We did a Wishes cruise last fall and it was amazing. We had heard mixed reports about Illuminations cruises (they seem to be real hit and miss) but the Wishes cruise was beyond our expectations.

I believe the smaller boats are $225+tax, and although we only had 4 people we opted for the larger boat with audio which cost $275+tax. We figured heck, for the extra fifty bucks we might as well go all out.

You meet your driver at one of the Marina's (we picked the Contemporary, but you can chose any of the three MK resorts), where he whisks away your credit card and returns with your reciept, and you head to the boat. They ask you to be there about an hour before the fireworks, and your scheduled departure is usually 30 minutes before.

On the boat are drinks and snacks provided as part of the package (canned Coke products and small bagged snacks like chips, etc.), but you can also have the meal catered with dinner or dessert, etc. at an additional cost.

The driver takes out for aproximately a half hour around the lagoon, telling you all about the different areas, Disney history, etc. (this depends on the driver and your wishes, if you want to just sit back and relax without the spiel you can get that too). During this time you make your way to the MK area in time to view the fireworks. Post-fireworks, you get another little tour on your way back to your original starting point. Takes about 60-70 minutes for the full ride.

Check out AllEarsnet for more info, that's the site I used when planning it and they had some great information. For a more reliable experience, I highly recommend the Wishes version - I can't imagine anything more magical.

AEfx

Did you get to see the Electrical Parade also? What type of boat was the one with the audio? Did you tip the driver?

jonty666

Is there any information on the official Disney site about the cruises? Also, the info on allears just seems to be on the illuminations cruise. Anyone have any more info on the wishes one?

CleveRocks

My IllumiNations cruise in February costs $300 and includes bagged snacks (chips, etc.) and soft drinks. I was told if I want it decorated for a birthday it would be $25 extra.

tecowdw

My IllumiNations cruise in February costs $300 and includes bagged snacks (chips, etc.) and soft drinks. I was told if I want it decorated for a birthday it would be $25 extra.

Did you feel the cruise was worth the $300?
I booked it as a surprise for my best friend and his family who are going to WDW soon but it is alot of money. I suspect the fact that this will be such a memorable surprise that the value will be even better in my case.

In fact, they don't know that I will even be there too! I plan to just "run into them" at the park they are at that day (assuming I can figure out exactly where they are based on the text msgs I will send, w/o giving hint I'm there). I might try to send a cell video of them walking around/on a ride real time!! That would be a shocker!!
:D

We have been on the fireworks cruise several times to see Illuminations; it has been part of the Platinum package that we booked. In every case, it is one of the high points of our trip. The cast members have all been extremely friendly and informative as they cruise around for about 30 minutes before parking under the bridge. At least once we watched during rain showers, which was even magical (we're from California and don't see rain very often!).

I would highly recommend it, whether it is for a special occasion or as a group activity. We're starting planning on our next trip, and will definitely book another Illuminations fireworks cruise.

We took the Wishes cruise several years ago, and it wasn't as intimate as you are much farther away from the fireworks.

WDITrent

All I have to say about this situation: When I stayed at the Grand Floridian a couple of weeks ago, we saw the Grand I leaving the marina, which was next to our building. At first I said, "There goes the Grand I." Then I corrected myself and said, "There goes one grand." :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom