Firefox update popup?

dylan313

Original Poster
So recently I've been having this problem where every now and then when browsing the forums, a page saying "Critical Firefox update" would pop up and try to get me to download it. You could just reload the page to go around it, so I didn't think much of it. However, today I got a different popup that opened tons of dialog boxes telling me to enter a username and password because of a "Firefox error" while an ANNOYING alarm played. I had to use Task Manager to close the page. So, what gives? Anyone else have this problem and only on this site? Should I use a different browser?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So recently I've been having this problem where every now and then when browsing the forums, a page saying "Critical Firefox update" would pop up and try to get me to download it. You could just reload the page to go around it, so I didn't think much of it. However, today I got a different popup that opened tons of dialog boxes telling me to enter a username and password because of a "Firefox error" while an ANNOYING alarm played. I had to use Task Manager to close the page. So, what gives? Anyone else have this problem and only on this site? Should I use a different browser?

While "Critical Firefox Update" is a legit warning (especially if they've identified a virus exploit in the current version and want you to update to a protected version), it could be a script pop-up from a web site (usually from the ads) which would lead to installing a virus or malware or a keylogger.

That second pop up is definitely not from Firefox.

When you get a suspicious pop-up, do a CTRL-SHIFT-ESC to pull up the Task Manager, right click on Firefox and chose End Task. That shuts it down without accidentally triggering downloading malware.

Once it's shut down, run a virus scan. If everything's OK, restart Firefox. Go to Help > About and make sure you're up to date. If you're then up to date, then you know any other pop-up is from a site, or, a virus on your computer.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1160424

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I'm on Chrome and havent had any kind of issues like that, so if it keeps up on FF then probably best to switch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom