Fire Mountain ?

Lynx04

I think depending on what is immediately placed their will indicate when we can expect something larger if something larger is to take its place. Put it this wasy if what they put their is on the expensive end don't look for them to change it anytime in the next 5 to 6 years, since it wouldn't make sense to spend a lot of money and then add something a year or two later. Although, they could add something then just add a new attaction on some of the land and keep what they placed down. If they place something inexpensive then that is more of an indication that they would like to fill the area some time in the near future.

I think right now they are really not sure what they are going to put there. I believe they have been working a few different ideas back and forth. My belief in this is nothing more then a guess based on the fact that they did mention something during the Stitch opening. Usually during event opening the announce future projects, they announced the typhoon lagoon expansion, but nothing else. I think if they had an idea of what would take the place of 20,000 then historically they would have mention something. Of course this just theory and may be reading into something that is not there.

SpenceMan01

MickeyMan101 said:
My sister and i were talking and we thought that they could get rid of the Swiss family tree house and replace it with Fire mountain! There is plunty of space and it could be incorperated into Jungle Cruse. :slurp: tell me what u think!!!

MickeyMan101

~One man's dream is another man's adventure!~

IM me at Manutdwanab18

E-mail me at Schwenkietwo@hotmail.com :)
I'd be all for the removal of the SFRTH, but I don't see it happening.

tirian

I'm not a "don't-change-the-classic-attractions-at-ALL" freak, but the Swiss Family Treehouse represents one of Walt's original films and attractions. It needs to stay in Adventureland--after all, we don't have the original Sunshine Pavilion (Tiki Room) anymore!

Disney isn't going to put a major mountain, especially a volcano, on the old 20K site: it would swallow Cinderella's Castle. I wish Disney would either bring in a new Toad (using IOA Spiderman technology) or build the Mary Poppins and Sleepy Hollow attractions that were intended to go into the Magic Kingdom's grand opening. THAT would be worth the money, especially since they're basically already designed...on paper, anyway. I wouldn't mind seeing an Alice in Wonderland, Beauty and the Beast, or Sleeping Beauty attraction, either.

As for Fire Mountain/Bald Mountain: why not combine both concepts? Just shoot Guests out of Bald Mountain instead of dropping them over a Splash Mountain-copy drop.

............but as someone pointed out, there's no reason to make MK a new IOA. Sure, MK needs a new E-ticket; but instead of trying to thrill everyone and make them wet themselves, Disney should bring back a true experience similar to PotC or HM. Imagineering is still capable of that, right? Right?

Roadsie

I know what they could put in the 20,000 Leagues area....

How about a Darby O'Gill and the Little People playland?

You know...you could have a nice Irish countryside and a bunch of little leprachauns jumping around. Add a couple banshees and a pot of gold and you have an excellent theme park attraction.

Well...maybe not :p

Maybe Fire Mountain and/or 100 Acre Wood is a better idea.

Lynx04

tirian said:
I'm not a "don't-change-the-classic-attractions-at-ALL" freak, but the Swiss Family Treehouse represents one of Walt's original films and attractions. It needs to stay in Adventureland--after all, we don't have the original Sunshine Pavilion (Tiki Room) anymore!

Disney isn't going to put a major mountain, especially a volcano, on the old 20K site: it would swallow Cinderella's Castle. I wish Disney would either bring in a new Toad (using IOA Spiderman technology) or build the Mary Poppins and Sleepy Hollow attractions that were intended to go into the Magic Kingdom's grand opening. THAT would be worth the money, especially since they're basically already designed...on paper, anyway. I wouldn't mind seeing an Alice in Wonderland, Beauty and the Beast, or Sleeping Beauty attraction, either.

As for Fire Mountain/Bald Mountain: why not combine both concepts? Just shoot Guests out of Bald Mountain instead of dropping them over a Splash Mountain-copy drop.

............but as someone pointed out, there's no reason to make MK a new IOA. Sure, MK needs a new E-ticket; but instead of trying to thrill everyone and make them wet themselves, Disney should bring back a true experience similar to PotC or HM. Imagineering is still capable of that, right? Right?

Looking at satellite photos it doesn't seem to be enough room in the SFTH area for a fire mountain. It looks as if Jungle Cruise occupies some of that area. I could be wong though.

Toad is never coming back in any form so don't count on it, Disney has many new more familiar characters that kids would rather see.

I do agree that a fire mountain would be out of place in that area, however they got it to work with the mattahorn, so you never know.

stitchcastle

I heard that Fire Mountain is slated to be built behind Pirates of the Carribean in Adventureland as opposed to the 20k lagoon. I heard they've already tested the views of the volcano when it is erected to its full height with baloons. They said that it would be visible from the Polynesian Resort and would add a lot to the resort's themeing.

Legend has it that ...
Fire Mountain and Bald Mountain were the creations of two different WDI teams secretly assigned to think up a replacement for 20k. One team wanted to put something completely new while the other wanted to follow the Jules Verne tradition of 20k.

Bald Mountain was made after guest surveys revealed that people love flume rides and that villains were among the most popular characters.

Fire Mountain was created after the volcano scene in "Atlantis: The Lost Empire" inspired the imagineers. (Other rumours suggest that the name itself: "Fire Mountain" was taken from old plans of putting it up as a Godzilla-themed e-ticket for the Japan Pavillion at Epcot)

When both ideas were presented, management loved both of them so much that they opted to build the both of them with Bald Mountain occupying the 20k lagoon and Fire Mountain taking the space behind PotC in Adventureland.

Unfotunately, budget cuts prevented the two attractions from being built.

However, with the impending opening of IoA, WDW management decided to counter its opening with creation of major attractions at each park. Animal Kingdom was to have finally received Beastly Kingdom, MGM was slated to have Fantasmic!, Epcot was going to have Test Track and The Magic Kingdom would have gotten Fire Mountain.

But IoA failed to make an impact on WDW's attendance levels and both Beastly Kingdom and Fire Mountain never made it out of the drawing boards while Fantasmic! and Test Track both emerged on a later date.

That's all the rumours I know about those 2 rides

Indy95

BeachClubVillas said:
What's the difference between Fire Mountain and Bald Mountain? :eek:
It looks like everyone already beat me to the punch, but here's what I heard:

After the closing of 20K (about 1994), the Imagineers get to work on a replacement. Since the ride would open at the earliest in 1999, Eisner gives the go-ahead for an E-Ticket, since it would be the first at MK since Splash Mountain (back then Eisner still wasn't too keen on E-Tickets, but he knew that the opening of these attractions would coincide with the opening of IOA). So what ended up happening was two groups of Imagineers were working on a replacement for 20K at the same time (but the weird thing is, BOTH groups thought that they were the ONLY group! Weird, huh?). So here's what went down:

-One group wanted a fitting replacement to 20K, one that was very Jules Verne-ish in tone. They also wanted to provide MK with a truly exciting thrill ride. They came up with many ideas based on Verne books and stories, and ultimately settled upon the upcoming Disney animated "Atlantis: the Lost Empire," which started production in 1996 and had a very Verne-ish quality (the directors pointed out that one of their inspirations was Verne's "Journey to the Center of the Earth). And they were REALLY excited about the proposed finale for the movie, which would take place inside a dormant volcano. So, long story short, Fire Mountain turned out to be the world's first "morphing" roller coaster. At the moment the coaster blasts itself out of the volcano, the coaster would "morph" from a farely tame mine-train type coatser to an inverted coaster (like Dueling Dragons at IOA).
-The other group wanted to capitalize on the success of Splash Mountain and build another water ride, with the theme coinciding more with the tone of Fantasyland than 20K. They decided to theme the ride after a group of characters in the Disney canon that were rising in popularity: the villains. Bald Mountain (also known as "Villain Mountain" or "Forbidden Mountain" after so many "Hair Club for Men" jokes from Imagineers) would end up to be a flume ride where guests ride in boats themed after the boats that Charon, the ferryman of the dead, guided in "Hercules." The ride would be themed to guests breaking up some kind of "Villain convention" (why didn't they just have it at the Contemporary?) and then basically running (or sailing) for their lives. The attraction would end in a dramatic splashdown waterfall directly facing Fantasyland.

Both attractions had their strong points. Fire Mountain, with its awesome theme and thrilling roller coaster ride, would finally prove once and for all that Disney can please the thrillseeking crowd (not to mention the merchandising potential with the tie-in with an animated movie. Bald Mountain would have the villain-theme merchandising potential, with a chance to alleviate some crowds from Splash Mountain, have a dramatic visual wienie in the middle of Fantasyland, and it also provideda chance for Disney to make a small "villain village" land, which could ultimately lead to a new Halloween celebration.
So which attraction to build? Actually, Eisner (yes you heard that right) liked both so much that he decided to build both of them. Fire Mountain would be built in Adventureland around 2002-04, and Bald Mountain would follow at the 20K site around 2008. Unfortunately, IOA did not have the anticipated crowds and had nill effect on WDW's attendance. As a result, new Attractions (or Parks + Resorts, blah) head Paul Pressler promised that one of the E-Tickets would still be built but, since Disney did not have to worry about IOA, the first one (undecided) would be built in 2008 at 20K. Because of Pressler's demise, the future of the new E-Tickets is unknown. (Though, it's still possible for Fire Mountain to be built ready for 2008 in Adventureland, if another attraction is put in 20K, which looks to be that Pooh-themed playground for the time being).

WHEW! I need a nap. :snore:

cpcpjfan

Great info on something I had never even heard about. Unfortunately, I now can't wait for one of them to be built. The pessimist in me doesn't believe either will happen any time soon though. :(

DisneyRoxMySox

Original Poster
Either of those coasters would be sick. I would love to see them in MK. They sound awesome !! I hope at least one of them is built, a new attraction in Adventure land would be great !! :sohappy:

Tim G

MickeyMan101 said:
and it could be incorperated into Jungle Cruse. :slurp:
No, it couldn't, would mean a change in the story line and agian another re-route of the cruise... errrrr... no... not such a good idea...

DisneyRoxMySox

Original Poster
Speaking of Jungle Cruise, this is a little off subject, but, if you are ever on the ride near closing and, you know the jokes, finish then before your "tour guide" does, it's really funny and they interact with you more!

Legacy

TheOneVader said:
Does anyone here have some FM concept art? Or Bald Mountain?
I've never even seen any concept art for either project released. Those rumors, though known, have incredibly tight-lipped details.

Indy95

Anomalied said:
What's this about a Sleepy Hollow and Mary Poppins attraction?
ANOTHER long story, suffice to say Sleepy Hollow and Mary Poppins were supposed to be two original Fantasyland dark rides that were to be opened in 1971, instead of Mr. Toad and Peter Pan (respectively), along with one themed to Sleeping Beauty, which would be where Snow White is now. However, the budget on WDW was so high to begin with that Roy Disney told the Imagineers to go with the tried-and-true dark rides. (Must stop before story gets too long!!!!!!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom