Finding Nemo--The Musical (replacement for Tarzan Rocks!) confirmed opening late 2006

tigsmom

Ok,this is a show at the park? I was thinking Broadway. Well if it comes to pass I'll definately give it a try at least once. Never saw Beauty or Hunchback, but I do like Voyage with the black light and puppets.

CTXRover

tomm4004 said:
I agree, but why two attractions? Why not one on Monsters, Inc or the Incredibles instead. Or an upcoming project.

Maybe because we'll see attractions based on those two films in the future anyway? I don't know, but a Monsters ride seems to be a sure-fire thing at one of the WDW parks considering its popularity at DCA and one being built in Tokyo. There has been a lot of talk about an Incredibles attraction also being developed. Who knows.

tomm4004

MuRkErY said:
:lookaroun

Tell that to all the DVD, and Merchandise sales Nemo still gets, and will continue to get for the foreseeable future
How were Stitch DVDs and merchandise doing before Stitch's Encounter? I thought that sales had been flagging and that the attraction was an attempt to rekindle interest. Maybe not. I wonder if sales increased afterward. If Nemo is so popular, it doesn't sound like it needs the help of two attractions. Or perhaps the idea is actually to build attractions that people will flock to because of the popularity of the source material!

MuRkErY

How were Stitch DVDs and merchandise doing before Stitch's Encounter? I thought that sales had been flagging and that the attraction was an attempt to rekindle interest. Maybe not. I wonder if sales increased afterward. If Nemo is so popular, it doesn't sound like it needs the help of two attractions. Or perhaps the idea is actually to build attractions that people will flock to because of the popularity of the source material!

Yeah but Stitch was not, and is not on the same level as Nemo in terms of quality, and popularity, and I think the idea is to make attractions people will flock too rather than to rejuvenate.

I doubt Stich will be remembered in 60 years time, where as Finding Nemo still will be.

Stitch was good not great, where as Finding Nemo will become a classic of animation, and take it's place alongside the greats.

CaptainMichael

tomm4004 said:
Or perhaps the idea is actually to build attractions that people will flock to because of the popularity of the source material!
Bingo!!! I would think that the idea of building an attraction (millions of dollars) to rekindle the popularity of a film is ludacris. You use what is popular to make money, and that is what Disney is doing. Stitch just happened to be "Disney's" most popular character in years, and that is why they went crazy with him.

I think in the next few months, it will be like "Stitch who?" Nemo is fixing to take over WDW marketing.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
imagineerfan said:
I think the concept of the new show is pretty cool, but I don't understand why its being placed in Dinoland USA?

Dan

The area really sits between Asia and Dinoland, I dont think there is a really an issue there.

MuRkErY

Bingo!!! I would think that the idea of building an attraction (millions of dollars) to rekindle the popularity of a film is ludacris. You use what is popular to make money, and that is what Disney is doing.

Yep, hence the reason why seeing attractions based around Chicken Little, and The Wild are virtually zero.

MickeyTigg

I also worry about over exposing Nemo....this is what the 2nd or 3rd Nemo attraction? I know you gotta go with what's hot...but let's not kill it either.

MuRkErY

I also worry about over exposing Nemo....this is what the 2nd or 3rd Nemo attraction? I know you gotta go with what's hot...but let's not kill it either.

3rd, I dont think we will see anymore after these two.

I'm fine with it because none of them are large attractions, just smallish, so the sum of there parts adds up just right IMO.

tomm4004

Regarding two Nemo attractions in two different parks, EPCOT and AK: could this be a clue as to guest habits? Is it possible that a lot of guests visit one and not the other? Anyone have the skinny on Disney's internal numbers?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Just a quick comment. I have two little kids and am around little kids (their friends a lot). Nemo is still extremely popular and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future. Other movies that kids like seem to eventually fall by the wayside (i.e. kids lose interest in the characters, etc.), but not Nemo. The only other recent movie (last ten years or so) that seems to resonate with the younger set to this degree is Toy Story and its not quite in the same class as Nemo.

I also think people get a little too tied up in analyzing the economic interaction between movies and theme park attractions. I have never seen any evidence that a good theme park attraction increases DVD sales (do people rush out and buy Peter Pan after going on the ride?) nor do basing rides/shows on movies affect theme park attendance (EE has had a huge effect on DAK's attendance no movie tie in, conversely, a dark ride based on a recent kids' movie is something most people won't even be aware of until they are at the park. They certainly don't plan vacations around it). BUT - if your company has the rights to a quality/beloved piece of entertainment, like NEMO, it is certainly a candidate to INSPIRE your workers (whose likes and dislikes can't be that much differenct from the general public's). Anyhoo, that's the main reason there's a trend to base attractions on popular movies. And that trend is not as strong as people think (Dinosaur, Mr. Toad's, etc.).

On a side note - everything I've read and seen indicates that this NEMO show is probably going to rock!

lebeau

Some of the naysayers here are killing me!

So Nemo wasn't originally a musical. Neither was Beauty and the Beast until Disney made a musical version of it. Or the Little Mermaid. Or fill-in-the-blank. Lots of non-musical stories eventually get turned into musicals.

So Nemo is a few years old. It's newer and fresher than most Disney properties. Certainly more so than Tarzan which it is replacing. As others have pointed out, Disney doesn't build attractions to promote it's properties. They build attractions that take advantage of the popularity of their properties.

So Nemo gets two attractions. Other properties will still get made into other attractions. It's not like it's the only property represented at more than one park. The Little Mermaid can be seen at MGM and the Magic Kingdom. Same with Beauty and the Beast. The Lion King can be seen at AK and in the Land pavilion at Epcot.

Anyone judging the show before it's even been produced is getting ahead of themselves. Maybe it's not what you'd like to see, but that doesn't mean it won't be good. Just be glad we're getting a new show. If it's no good, something else will eventually replace it.

tomm4004

ASJHLJ said:
Just a quick comment. I have two little kids and am around little kids (their friends a lot). Nemo is still extremely popular and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.
Thanks for the kid perspective. It makes more sense in this light.

ASJHLJ said:
I also think people get a little too tied up in analyzing the economic interaction between movies and theme park attractions.
Perhaps, but it was Disney that changed the title of CTX to Dinosaur to tie-in with the release of the film. They practically invented synergy.

ASJHLJ said:
I have never seen any evidence that a good theme park attraction increases DVD sales (do people rush out and buy Peter Pan after going on the ride?) nor do basing rides/shows on movies affect theme park attendance (EE has had a huge effect on DAK's attendance no movie tie in,
I think the difference here is that E:E is a thrill ride and roller coaster and this alone carries it. A smaller show like a dark ride or a stage show needs a tie-in. The name "Nemo" will draw people to a smaller attraction; a thrill ride can stand on its own. Star Tours was both, but obviously something based on Star Wars needed a thrill component. It would be interesting though to see the effect on sales. I'm sure Disney felt they could sell more Pooh stuff than Mr. Toade.

ASJHLJ said:
Anyhoo, that's the main reason there's a trend to base attractions on popular movies.
Walt did it when he built Fantasyland. Eisner's first new attractions were based on Star Tours and Michael Jackson. Universal is all tie-ins. A trend that lasts this long is a practice, but I get what you're saying.

Jerm

MuRkErY said:
Nemo is a film that will last, and become a animation classic along the likes of Snow White, The Jungle Book ect... There-fore I think it's a pretty safe bet Nemo will be safe for the foreseeable future.

Don't know if you will want to go with those 2 movies due to the fact both have/had some of the shorter lived theme park stage versions. While I loved the Jungle Book show at AK it was not a big hit....and Snow White is one of the worst shows to ever be put into a theme park!!!

J

dxwwf3

This looks like we will get some park specific music here. And it might actually tell the Finding Nemo story in a new way. Not the same old, same old.

Sounds good to me :)

And Nemo won't come close to the Stitch madness if Disney does two things:
1. Doesn't plaster Nemo on busses, Monorails, inflatables all over the resort, taking over Monorail spiels and wake up calls, etc.

2. Actually make quality attractions based on the property. I think people on here would have been a lot more forgiving of the Stitch overexposure if they had felt SGE was worth the electricity it takes to run it.

Thanks for the news Steve. MAYBE this could lead to an Australian expansion in the distant future (if there is room there, which I am not 100% sure about).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom