Finding Disney merchandise in unusual places

Mikester71

Original Poster
So I've been wanting to start a thread about this for a couple of years now. I know that most of you are like me and probably drop some serious coinage on Disney merchandise while on your WDW/DL vacations, but I've been finding some very cool park merchandise DIRT cheap in places I never thought to look before. Okay, so I don't know if I would consider them unusual places, like my thread title suggests (couldn't think of a good title for the thread), but I can't believe I just started finding it in these places a couple of years ago, thanks to my wife. The places I am talking about: garage sales & thrift stores.

My wife started bringing me home all this cool Disney merchandise a couple of summers ago when she would hit up garage sales with her mom and sister, so I started going with them. You wouldn't believe all of the cool, hard to find stuff I am finding at these sales, and all in GREAT condition and dirt cheap. I've found Disney pictures, mugs, books, clothing (with the official WDW tags), CD's, and a ton more stuff for a few cents to a couple of dollars. I can't wait for the weather to warm up here this Spring so that we can get back at it this year!

The other place is local thrift stores. My wife and I were in one last week looking around and she called me over to the men's t-shirts to look at something. It was a bunch of WDW park shirts in my size with the tags still on them. I couldn't believe my luck and snatched one of them up immediately!! Don't know why I didn't grab them all, as they were only $3 each. But it was very cool and I was just happy to find it for $3 in my size and in that condition. Will post a picture of it here in a few.

So where are some of the places that you have discovered some true Disney gems that you couldn't believe could be had for next to nothing? Feel free to post some pictures of your best finds if you want, along with where you found it. I will be posting a few of my finds in a bit too. :)

Mikester71

Original Poster
So my wife found this cool, framed picture at a garage sale in Michigan for $1.

photo.jpg

Mikester71

Original Poster
Yard sales are great for finding things and some people don't know what they have!

Exactly, Figgy! Some of the stuff my wife found me a few years ago while hitting up garage sales is from the early years of Epcot and the other parks. So to get it for 50 cents to a couple of bucks is a STEAL!! :)

aosdesign

I have a mug from the early years of Epcot that I got at a yard sale last summer. I love looking for Disney stuff at yard sales.

We have a craft upcycle resale shop in St. Louis. Last month I found a bag of vintage puzzle pieces of a USA map with Disney characters. I think it is from the 70's. Definitely wasn't expecting to find Disney stuff at a craft recycle shop.

Mikester71

Original Poster
I have a mug from the early years of Epcot that I got at a yard sale last summer. I love looking for Disney stuff at yard sales.

We have a craft upcycle resale shop in St. Louis. Last month I found a bag of vintage puzzle pieces of a USA map with Disney characters. I think it is from the 70's. Definitely wasn't expecting to find Disney stuff at a craft recycle shop.

Gotta love it!! And welcome to the forums! :)

Mikester71

Original Poster
I love that! Only $1?! I don't visit garage sales (we have our own), but I might have to start.

Yep, a whopping $1. :)

It's funny, garage sales are not the same over here in Canada for some reason she says. My wife is American and works in Michigan (we live right on the border in Ontario, Canada), so she usually hits them up over there on weekends on her way home when the weather is warm. If she's off, we'll both head over. Never was into it myself until she started bringing me home all this cheap Disney stuff and CD's. Yes, I am THAT old and still love buying CD's! :D

aosdesign

I was telling my husband about this thread and he just reminded me of another good one. West Yellowstone 2009 for a winter trip, I found a Bambi Ruler at a gift shop. Only Disney thing in the entire store. I know I still have the ruler but not for sure where at the moment. If I find it, I will post a pic. It is a pretty cool ruler, looks kind of vintage but it was new when I bought it.

Mikester71

Original Poster
LOVE this 55th Anniversary Commemorative Plate of Fantasia my wife found for me, still in the original box and wrapper with a stand included at a garage sale. I think she paid a buck or two at most. :)

photo-6.jpg

wdwstateofmind

Oh man....i could show a million pictures...so many garage sales in suburbia NJ with people getting rid of things they never even touched and so many antique stores in rural NW Jersey and Eastern PA that I have quite a substantial amount of pre-1970s Disneyana...ebay is another good site for stuff, they have a Disneyana section and you can sometimes hawk some unique items cheap if you sort by ending soonest...

wdwstateofmind

I found a Danbury Mint Disney perpetual calender at a flea market in South Jersey once. I think I gave him $15 for it; it ended up being worth WAY more than that...If anyone lives in Jersey Englishtown has a giant flea market I've found official animation cells at and gotten for like $20 because vendors are desperate...I've also found a lot of pre-1970s Disneyana at antique cooperatives and storefront all over NW Jersey and Eastern PA (WDW has been a #1 destination for people around here since 1971 as well so you can find A LOT of old park memorabilia too)...I could go on and on

Figgy1

Premium Member
I found a Danbury Mint Disney perpetual calender at a flea market in South Jersey once. I think I gave him $15 for it; it ended up being worth WAY more than that...If anyone lives in Jersey Englishtown has a giant flea market I've found official animation cells at and gotten for like $20 because vendors are desperate...I've also found a lot of pre-1970s Disneyana at antique cooperatives and storefront all over NW Jersey and Eastern PA (WDW has been a #1 destination for people around here since 1971 as well so you can find A LOT of old park memorabilia too)...I could go on and on
Love the new avatar! My dh says I'm not even allowed to drive through Englishtown! Some silly thing about me having a little shopping problem!

Mikester71

Original Poster
Oh man....i could show a million pictures...so many garage sales in suburbia NJ with people getting rid of things they never even touched and so many antique stores in rural NW Jersey and Eastern PA that I have quite a substantial amount of pre-1970s Disneyana...ebay is another good site for stuff, they have a Disneyana section and you can sometimes hawk some unique items cheap if you sort by ending soonest...

Will have to try that on Ebay, thanks! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom