Finally...Star Tours Update?

lukacseven

Original Poster
I've been reading on several Star Wars websites which are reporting that Star Tours has been closed for a "lengthy amount of time." Of course, a lot of wishful thinkers are beginning to suggest that this may be to finally update the attraction to include the prequel movies. On the Official Disney site they list the attraction closed between July 16 and August 1 - far too short a period of time to do any significant work. Has there been any other work done recently to the exterior or staging areas while the ride was still in operation?

wcox377492

If Star Tours were to get a new film, and accompanying new program sequence, then there would be almost no time needed to install the program. It could easily be tested at night when the park is closed. I don't see REX (the pilot) or anything else getting redone, cleaned, etc. maybe, but not redone. Disney and Hasbro have been partnered for the last year or two, and presumably the next several to produce a park exclusive line of toys for Star Tours which includes the pilot, and the ship itself.

imagineer99

I still stand by the fact that it would be great to choose your destination.

Since Star Tours is supposedly an intergalactic tourist company, it would be awesome if you could take one simulator to Endor, another to Hoth, and another to Tattoine.

It would be fun...

lukacseven

Original Poster
I think the general concensus is that it is the film itself that needs to be replaced. I think making REX a more serious part of the attraction would give it a whole new experience. But, keep in mind programming the animatronics as well as synchronizing the ride movements with the film will take more than 2 weeks to complete and test.

WDWHeadBanger

I agree. It would take a while if you changed the film sequence. There are not sufficient scenes to draw from just the film them selves. Concievably it would be CGI and that would take time.

Calamar

Originally posted by imagineer99
Since Star Tours is supposedly an intergalactic tourist company, it would be awesome if you could take one simulator to Endor, another to Hoth, and another to Tattoine.

Yeah, absolutely -- but don't forget my favorite Star Wars location: Coruscant!

I want Rex to wildly fly through traffic at night in Coruscant, past all those high-rises. Toward the end, maybe he could nearly crash into the Jedi Council's tower, only to be directed away by Yoda's use of the force! Of course, this wouldn't make sense under the assumption that Star Tours takes place during the rebellion.

MartyMouse

If they wanted to do a new movie they would not need to close the ride - first ours is only one of four Star Tours across the world they could be testing and programing at another park - second they would only need to take one ship off line to work on new movements so they could be testing when the ride is open or they could test a new program over at Body Wars when it's closed. However I doubt it.

KevinPage

Supposedly it is a well known that Lucas refuses to deal with Eisner, so we shouldn't expect any new Star Wars ride til he is gone and the prequels are done.

Honestly, they should get rid of the whole simulator ride and make a 21st century new type attraction. Just think of the possibilities that could be done with the Star Wars license. It's a shame to have it wasted on such old, dated & boring technology

PaisleyMF

Originally posted by KevinPage
Honestly, they should get rid of the whole simulator ride and make a 21st century new type attraction. Just think of the possibilities that could be done with the Star Wars license. It's a shame to have it wasted on such old, dated & boring technology

I Don't Know if there is space around Star Tours but just imagine the Rocket Rods car (the ones used in Disneyland to substitude TTA) that same kind of ride, retrofited to look more like Imperial Speeder Bikes (since the "Rods" looks like bikes) and have a tour of Endor and the Ewoks Village, some Storm Troopers following, even have some "Magic" with the point and shoot system of Buzz Lightyear.

"Nice Ride Don't You Think"

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
With Mission Space over at Epcot I find the Star Tours/Body Wars 'era' of simulator to just not cut it anymore. While a new film would be nice, I cant see the justification to do it as I believe the ride-system is the biggest problem.

ArsonWinter

Originally posted by MartyMouse
If they wanted to do a new movie they would not need to close the ride - first ours is only one of four Star Tours across the world they could be testing and programing at another park - second they would only need to take one ship off line to work on new movements so they could be testing when the ride is open or they could test a new program over at Body Wars when it's closed. However I doubt it.

Not that this is going to come to pass, but why would Imagineering shut down Disneyland's Star Tours? After all, DL's Tomorrowland needs all the help it can get. DLP's in all that financial trouble (and I'd assume they'd want to keep as many rides open as possible, too...). Tokyo's Disneyland isn't owned by Disney, and after all, I beleive that Star Tours is rated highly in that park.

popkid

a rocket rods/star wars type attraction is an interesting thought - would love to see a star wars attraction that wasn't a simulator. maybe if disney created thier own 'spiderman' type attraction through the star wars universe.

oh man, just think of the possibilities. it would no doubt require them to gut and expand the current building, but the attraction would be able to transport guests through all the movie locations (traveling at hyperspace to get from place to place). lightsaber duels can take place right over head as well as pod racers blasting past the ride vehicle - with the finale a blasing escape run out of the death star core ala return of the jedi. just think of how amazingly and fully disney imagineers could immerse guests in that breakneck escape

sheesh - the more i think about it, the more incredible ideas just keep popping up.

for those of you who have never experienced spiderman at universal studios, get your hineys over there - then when you're done gushing about the attraction, start thinking what disney and lucas could do with a smiliar type of attraction. i'm not saying rip off spidey, i'm just thinking disney could take the concept of a motion ride that combines 3D to an entirely new level. top it off with star wars themeing and hot damn, youre on FIRE!!!!

with all that tho, i've gotta say: though clunky and old, i still love star tours - being a huge fan of the original trilogy, i never get tired of flying along x-wings and taking a bombing run on the death star trench.

civileng68

Account Suspended
i agree

Originally posted by wdwmagic
With Mission Space over at Epcot I find the Star Tours/Body Wars 'era' of simulator to just not cut it anymore. While a new film would be nice, I cant see the justification to do it as I believe the ride-system is the biggest problem.

I agree 100% here. In fact I love the star wars movies! I love them more than most, however, I am very disappointed by the Star Tours attraction. I feel it's outdated and really not that exciting at all. It's like when the Playstation came out, my old Super Nintendo just seemed rediculous, and now with the Playstation2, I can't believe how realistic I used to think playstation was with Playstation 2 being so much better. One day I will look at Playstation 2 and think "wow , I used to think that was as good as it gets".

Point being: You have to keep up with the times and while Star Tours used to be breath through technology, today it's just boring because it's behind the times.

JackSkellington

Its a good old ride. But has the potential to be the best new ride. If a full rehab went down ST could rivial MS. Now granted it would take time and money. But look at all the potential. Multiple ride simulations and visuals. A new que area. And perhaps have one ride where a random guest pilots a shuttle.

ArsonWinter

In Star Tours as it is now (and Body Wars, now that I think about it), the ride uses actual film for the viewscreen. Any updates to these rides would use digital video, I assume.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by JackSkellington
Its a good old ride. But has the potential to be the best new ride. If a full rehab went down ST could rivial MS. .

I cant see how it can rival MS. MS has that unique element of physical effects being felt, as well as such detailed capsule interiors, and an incredible personal viewport out to space. Star Tours cant get anywhere near that experience, unless they do a full MS style conversion, of which there is no chance of that happening.

A better idea may have been to close Star Tours, and used the MS ride system with the Star Wars storyline for the new Star Tours.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom