Finally rode Forbidden Journey. Did it live up to the hype? YES!!!

Pete C

Original Poster
(This review is spoiler-free)

While I live here in Orlando, I have been avoiding the crowds at Universal and waiting for a weekday that I could get over there to check out the new land. I finally got that opportunity Friday. Entering the main gate and seeing Hogsmeade, I realized just how much the pictures don't do it justice. This is the single most elaborately themed area I have ever seen outside of DisneySea. Heck, this would give anything there a run for its money too. Walking through this land gives you a true sense of being transported to another place. It's so authentic looking. The attention to detail is astonishing. Approaching the castle, you are just awestruck by the sight of it. Universal has hit this out of the park already, and I am not even in the queue.

The queue of FJ is as amazing as the exterior. I would have to say this is the best queue I have ever seen. The portraits on several of the moving paintings look like exactly that...moving paintings. Only a few of them look like monitors where they didn't nail the lighting exactly right. Either way, it's awesome, and is the most entertaining queue to boot. You move from room to room where different things are going on around you. All of it is top notch in terms of detail and technology.

Now, finally to the ride itself. For the past 10 years since IOA opened I have held that Adventures of Spiderman is the end-all, be-all dark ride that would be almost impossible to top. From Journey to the Center of the Earth to Tower of Terror, and from Indy to the Mummy...nothing has been able to touch this ride in my book. When I first rode Spidey, I walked off in awe, not believing what had just transpired. Well, that was the feeling I got after FJ. Jaw on the floor, and just plain excited. Excited that this industry still has a few tricks left that I have not seen. Excited that there are still corporations out there willing to take on something of this magnitude, spend the money necessary, and deliver on ALL fronts. I wish that my beloved mouse down the street would wake up and smell the coffee.

This is the best dark ride ever created. The combination of movement and visuals that this ride system is able to deliver are freaking incredible. If you can't appreciate this, you are either too young to comprehend just how elaborate it is and what it took to get this to work, or you are just a die-hard Disney fan that refuses to give credit where credit is due. Now, this might not be your favorite ride for one reason or another, and I respect that. People have different reasons for liking rides. To me, it has clearly one-upped the ride that they set the standard with in the first place.

Universal...Thank You, and may this ride bring forth years of profits so that you can continue to make rides that re-define the industry.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Since I'll be there next week, two questions...

How were crowds? What was your wait time for FJ?

I'll go regardless, but an estimate would be nice. :D

Pete C

Original Poster

We got there around 7 PM, and the posted wait time was 75 minutes. I did not keep track of the actual wait time because I was distracted, but it seemed less than that. The lines for the shops were not too long, but we decided to do that next time and go on a few other rides. WWOHP in general was pretty packed though, while the rest of the park was easy to navigate. We grabbed a bite and a butterbeer at Three Broomsticks. We both liked the fish & chips and roasted chicken dishes. Solid food for theme park counter service, and unbeatable atmosphere. Butterbeer tasted nice, but the frothy topping was too sweet...opt for the frozen version instead.

fosse76

Thanks. Hope times are a bit shorter during the day... :lookaroun

I just got back from a weekend trip, and crowds weren't nearly as bad as I expected. While Forbidden Journey did reach the 75-90 minute range by around 11:00am (which still isn't bad, considering rollercoasters at local parks can get lines over 2 hours), on Sunday it hovered around 45 minutes until the afternoon.

Magenta Panther

Glad you enjoyed Potterland! I'm eagerly anticipating my visit, probably in October.

I have a question: Does the Three Broomsticks serve alchoholic beverages? I'd heard that it does. I'd like to know in case it turns out I don't care for Butterbear or pumpkin juice...

Pete C

Original Poster
Glad you enjoyed Potterland! I'm eagerly anticipating my visit, probably in October.

I have a question: Does the Three Broomsticks serve alchoholic beverages? I'd heard that it does. I'd like to know in case it turns out I don't care for Butterbear or pumpkin juice...

Yes, they serve beer. They have a few different brands on tap, and I believe two of them are unique to WWOHP.

Grizzly Hall 71

The truth hurts, doesn't it.
It does. Haters will hate.

Glad you enjoyed it. I also loved it. I went at night at about 9:45 and there was only a posted 15 minute wait. But there was no line. It was just a bunch of HP geeks taking pics.

But FJ is great, Die Hard Disney Fans hate to see their parks outdone.

EvanAnderson

Oh I definitely agree. I was BLOWN AWAY by that ride. The industry will be looking at this ride and will commend Universal on taking such a bold step. Well done UO!

timeman

I went last week while I was in Orlando for Star Wars Celebration V. I went on wednesday night and the wait time was around 60 minutes. Most of the wait is outside the castle for some reason as once you get inside after the greenhouse the line moves along even with people stopping and taking pictures. The ride itself is one of the best and you will want to do it again.

Skip

I think it's quite remarkable that the Forbidden Journey keeps its waits as low as it does - the thing has an excellent capacity with a surprisingly (relatively) infrequent amount of breakdowns/delays. It's already hit it's 1 million guest mark, which apparently breaks some sort of record - good for it. It's a fantastic ride and deserves every glowing review it receives. One of these days I'll post my own...

Ziffman

I will be there next week as well, and am really looking forward to it. I'm anticipating that crowds will be relatively light. Next week is traditionally one of the best weeks of the year to visit because kids are back in school and there aren't as many major conventions going on in town. We went this exact same week a couple of years ago and it was great! Killer deals on hotels, airfare, etc and crowds were light, except for the water rides at IOA because it was blazing hot. We solved that problem by purchasing an Express Pass and it was worth every penny. Will do the same this year if its the same situation. Interestingly, Universal was much more crowded than Disney. I assume that's because Disney caters more to kids who, again, were back in school. But at Disney we never even needed to get a fastpass the entire time. Virtually everything was a walk on.

Also, I've been hearing that the best time to try and hit Potter is later in the day. This is because everyone runs to it right at opening, but later in the day, everyone else has made it to other parts of the park. I'm hoping this will be the case. We're planning to hit the other attractions while everyone else is exploring Potter and riding FJ.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I will be there next week as well, and am really looking forward to it. I'm anticipating that crowds will be relatively light. Next week is traditionally one of the best weeks of the year to visit because kids are back in school and there aren't as many major conventions going on in town. We went this exact same week a couple of years ago and it was great! Killer deals on hotels, airfare, etc and crowds were light, except for the water rides at IOA because it was blazing hot. We solved that problem by purchasing an Express Pass and it was worth every penny. Will do the same this year if its the same situation. Interestingly, Universal was much more crowded than Disney. I assume that's because Disney caters more to kids who, again, were back in school. But at Disney we never even needed to get a fastpass the entire time. Virtually everything was a walk on.

Also, I've been hearing that the best time to try and hit Potter is later in the day. This is because everyone runs to it right at opening, but later in the day, everyone else has made it to other parts of the park. I'm hoping this will be the case. We're planning to hit the other attractions while everyone else is exploring Potter and riding FJ.
If you happen to see a tall, grey-haired old guy [with only portions of hands] and a stringbean but almost as tall blond teenager, say hi! :wave:

We arrive Sunday. staying at All Star Sports and leave Labour Day weekend.

NutsForFlorida

Everything I've been reading is making it sound like this ride is the ____t! I can't wait to get down there and ride it. A few more months. Keep your reviews coming, I like reading them.

floridabill

Another example of why disney sucks now and is dumb!!

It just baffles me how they think they are untouchable!!!! This ride/ land is going to put the end to WDW if they do not produce Don't care what anyone says Disney fan or not!!!Universal seems to have allot up there sleeve, and they are not stopping. Disney is just going to keep responding with price hikes and discounts to balance the books so they don't have to spend to make more money!!!

jonnyc

My of my main issues was the queue moved too quickly once you got inside! It was pretty slow at the greenhouse, then as soon as you got inside it moved rapidly.

Ziffman

If you happen to see a tall, grey-haired old guy [with only portions of hands] and a stringbean but almost as tall blond teenager, say hi! :wave:

We arrive Sunday. staying at All Star Sports and leave Labour Day weekend.

Will do! I just checked your profile page so I could put a face to the posts. :wave:

We arrive early Saturday morning and will probably just hang out around town, and maybe do Universal for a little while that afternoon and/or evening. We're getting a 4-day pass so we'll be visiting the parks off and on over the course of a week. Maybe we'll run into you. If I spot you, I'll say "hi". If not, have a great time!

Pete C

Original Poster
My of my main issues was the queue moved too quickly once you got inside! It was pretty slow at the greenhouse, then as soon as you got inside it moved rapidly.

The line moves at the same speed throughout the queue, however in the greenhouse you are in a much larger space so it appears to move slower. Just watch though, you are always moving just like inside. Once inside, you are going from room to room in much smaller spaces so it appears to move quicker.

JustInTime

(This review is spoiler-free)

While I live here in Orlando, I have been avoiding the crowds at Universal and waiting for a weekday that I could get over there to check out the new land. I finally got that opportunity Friday. Entering the main gate and seeing Hogsmeade, I realized just how much the pictures don't do it justice. This is the single most elaborately themed area I have ever seen outside of DisneySea. Heck, this would give anything there a run for its money too. Walking through this land gives you a true sense of being transported to another place. It's so authentic looking. The attention to detail is astonishing. Approaching the castle, you are just awestruck by the sight of it. Universal has hit this out of the park already, and I am not even in the queue.

The queue of FJ is as amazing as the exterior. I would have to say this is the best queue I have ever seen. The portraits on several of the moving paintings look like exactly that...moving paintings. Only a few of them look like monitors where they didn't nail the lighting exactly right. Either way, it's awesome, and is the most entertaining queue to boot. You move from room to room where different things are going on around you. All of it is top notch in terms of detail and technology.

Now, finally to the ride itself. For the past 10 years since IOA opened I have held that Adventures of Spiderman is the end-all, be-all dark ride that would be almost impossible to top. From Journey to the Center of the Earth to Tower of Terror, and from Indy to the Mummy...nothing has been able to touch this ride in my book. When I first rode Spidey, I walked off in awe, not believing what had just transpired. Well, that was the feeling I got after FJ. Jaw on the floor, and just plain excited. Excited that this industry still has a few tricks left that I have not seen. Excited that there are still corporations out there willing to take on something of this magnitude, spend the money necessary, and deliver on ALL fronts. I wish that my beloved mouse down the street would wake up and smell the coffee.

This is the best dark ride ever created. The combination of movement and visuals that this ride system is able to deliver are freaking incredible. If you can't appreciate this, you are either too young to comprehend just how elaborate it is and what it took to get this to work, or you are just a die-hard Disney fan that refuses to give credit where credit is due. Now, this might not be your favorite ride for one reason or another, and I respect that. People have different reasons for liking rides. To me, it has clearly one-upped the ride that they set the standard with in the first place.

Universal...Thank You, and may this ride bring forth years of profits so that you can continue to make rides that re-define the industry.

Great review. I am dying to go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom