Final NYE at PI 12/31/05

speck76

Ducky_Love said:
I doubt the system will ever be changed. Not only is revenue up at PI, since pulling out the gates foot traffic is better on the West End.

Rumor mill claims the WES and fireworks will go in favor of leveling the stage and bringing in another third party restaurant. During this time the stairs will be pulled out and made into one sloping walkway. Then the walkway under the bridge will be closed permanently and all traffic will go through PI day & night.

Also, Saratoga Springs is another strike against the fireworks. I'm sure they get noise complaints since they are just across the lake.. and I can here them all they way at my apartment.

I think the island will be unrecognizable in the next 2-5 years. I just hope CW & AC make the cut. :(

AC is a classic, although IMO could use some refreshing

CW.....I would rather have a comedy club that had headliners, or a mix of what they do now as an opening act, and then a headliner.

Yoop33

Ducky_Love said:
Also, Saratoga Springs is another strike against the fireworks. I'm sure they get noise complaints since they are just across the lake.. and I can here them all they way at my apartment. :(

I would guess that the PI fireworks are a lot later in the night then the MK firworks but aren't there a lot of homes and apartments not far behind MK? I remember driving back there to see what I could find and ended up talking to a security guard at the back gate. At that point I figured I probably shouldn't be back there but the guard didn't seem to care much at all.

speck76

Yoop33 said:
I would guess that the PI fireworks are a lot later in the night then the MK firworks but aren't there a lot of homes and apartments not far behind MK? I remember driving back there to see what I could find and ended up talking to a security guard at the back gate. At that point I figured I probably shouldn't be back there but the guard didn't seem to care much at all.

they are only starting to build homes back there.......it is a planned development area called "Horizons West" which will eventually have about 150,000 residents.

I live about 5 miles from the MK "as the crow flies"....I can clearly see and here the fireworks.....

MickeyTigg

Pumbas Nakasak said:
Apart from the Adventurers and Comedy clubs PI has no interest what so ever...

Totally agree....I've been there a couple of times and the only clubs that interested me were AC and the Comedy club.

CatLady

speck76 said:
From what I have been told, the complex now makes more money than it did when it was ticketed......a great number of people get 1 or 2 drinks from the outside bars, and this adds a lot of additional revenue to the complex.

Intresting. Is it possible that Disney learned something from a business model at Universal (Citywalk)?

I personally think the island should not allow those under 18 or 21 on without an adult.....but I don't make the rules.

I have long felt that the island shouldn't allow those under 18 or 21 at all. There's something disconcerting about trying to weave through the drunken masses after midnight and suddenly tripping over a little one in a stroller.

Yoop33 said:
I would guess that the PI fireworks are a lot later in the night then the MK firworks but aren't there a lot of homes and apartments not far behind MK?

Part of the answer may be that homes and apartments don't have a Disney Guest Services desk. And, as someone else pointed out, the homes are going in long after MK has been established, so there isn't any secret that there might be noise. Those of you not in the area who have different topography (that is, you have hills, unlike central Fla) don't realize how far sound can travel around here. I always hear Illuminations, and I'm 8 miles from Epcot. You have to go pretty far to be fireworks-noise free.

GrandFloridian1

Ducky_Love said:
Also, Saratoga Springs is another strike against the fireworks. I'm sure they get noise complaints since they are just across the lake.. and I can here them all they way at my apartment.
:(

I heard that Saratoga Springs has special windows to block out the sound of the fireworks. Especially the higher priced villas.

Yoop33

GrandFloridian1 said:
I heard that Saratoga Springs has special windows to block out the sound of the fireworks. Especially the higher priced villas.

Good thing for the DVC members then I guess!! :slurp:

DizGuru2004

Seedier locals?? What is THAT supposed to mean? How about idiot tourists who think that their ____*t stops smelling just because they were able to take out a second mortgage on the trailer to come on vacation??!!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
DizGuru2004 said:
Seedier locals?? What is THAT supposed to mean? How about idiot tourists who think that their ____*t stops smelling just because they were able to take out a second mortgage on the trailer to come on vacation??!!

sign0004.gif

Yoop33

DizGuru2004 said:

THAT IS AWESOME!!! I was waiting for someone to say something like that. Now that it has been said I hate tourists too!! (Did that come out really mean? cause I am not really a mean person)

MickeyTigg

How about everyone grows up and acts like mature adults instead of a bunch of immature children?

BTW - that was really good to swear on the boards and "dash it out" so the kids couldn't figure it out...that was really mature.

I don't think the original comment was a reflection on locals in general...note that the emphasis should be placed "seedier" not "locals".

Thrawn

Account Suspended
DizGuru2004 said:

It is supposed to mean exactly what I said. There have been three stabbings at PI since it went free entry.

Obviously, if you are on these boards, you aren't who I was referring to, so why take offense? And further, if you are using the term "tourists" instead of guests, and really have that much of a disdain for them, you probably shouldn't be working for WDW.

On topic: If they are getting rid of the West End Stage and the fireworks, then why even bother having the free entry? There would be nothing for the people who don't go into the clubs to do ...

LSUxStitch

Locals vs. Tourist. I'm sure Thrawn is referring to the locals that are a burden to society and go to cause troubles with the tourists.

If you have a hatred for Tourist, then why live in Orlando? That is like me saying, "I hate cold weather, so I am going to move to Wisconsin" After living in Orlando and New Orleans (both heavy touristy cities), you just learn to deal with them.

DizGuru2004

No one SAID I hated tourists. I was making an illustration about the inappropriateness of the "seedy locals" comment. Are there not seedy tourists?

Thrawn

Account Suspended
DizGuru2004 said:
If you have such a disdain for locals, then please don't grace us with your presence in the future...

Yeah, because you're the person committing the stabbings I was referring to as seedy locals, right?

Have you been to PI lately? You can't tell me you haven't noticed that there is a certain amount of unsavory individuals hanging around there. And don't tell me that they aren't locals, because no one from New York City, for instance, is going to go to PI and Orlando just to hang out at PI outside of the clubs.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
DizGuru2004 said:
No one SAID I hated tourists. I was making an illustration about the inappropriateness of the "seedy locals" comment. Are there not seedy tourists?

Yes plenty, its a shame so much of your local economy is based on attracting such types then fleecing them for all their worth.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
mousermerf said:
A rumor...

The big New Year's Eve special event this year will be the last NYE at Pleasure Island.

Normally - for those unfamiliar - the area has fireworks nightly counting down to a faux-NYE.

Anyways, after this year's real NYE celebration, the fireworks are being discontinued indefinately. The West End Stage area is to undergo major refurbishment to allow better flow for the entire area and during the process the fireworks will not be a part of Pleasure Island. There's a chance they're going to remove the whole NYE Daily idea/theme entirely.

Just a rumor :)

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I worked @ PI for a year and I *HATED* the NYE theme....you can only handle the NYE video-reel about 3x before you wanna stab yourself :hammer:

~heather
Former WDWCP CM (2003-2004)

jasondiff

SSR was built with soundproofing in mind, but what is interesting is that they also built a fireworks viewing plaza right across from PI. No more PI fireworks = useless fireworks viewing plaza!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom