Figment Survey

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
On a whim I randomly polled my co-workers (small sampling) with the same image of Figment from Disney's survey. I asked: "Have you ever seen this character in a Disney theme park?" and followed up with "if so, what is his name?"

Results were, well...pretty crappy. No one declared "That's Figment!" Most of the responses were a simplistic "Nah who's that?" with two of my co-workers thinking him "Elliot" or "Puff" lol

Not exactly the response I wanted --but it is what I expected. Based on that, I fear Figment might go poof and disappear into yesterland. BUT it was a small, flawed polling sample so there's that. I pray Imagination can keep it's titled Star and maybe pick up Dreamfinder in the event of a re-imagining.

Last edited:

CosmicPrincess

Don't worry, guys! If Figment gets taken away he'll still live on in our imaginations! ;)

No but really, I would be so sad if he was taken away. I wish they could make two separate rides: an updated Journey Into Imagination and an IP based one. Hopefully there'd be a draw for almost everyone then.

huwar18

Figment is the icon of the park, the spirit of imagination. If he went away then Epcot needs to rebrand and rethink its purpose. I can't possibly imagine an Epcot without Figment; the crazy popularity of his recent comic shows how much love he gets.

Sadly, Disney does not agree. They have been trying to get rid of Figment and Imagination for a long time. However, he is good enough to push merchandise. It is all about pushing nostalgia. nostalgia = higher prices for t-shirts.

Sir_Cliff

Send me to the gallows but I wouldn't shed any tears if this attraction and character go the way of the dodo. I have never understood the crazy affection this dragon gets. Talk about overrated. I don't know if Figment was less of an annoying pest in his previous incarnations, but his persona today drives me up a wall. The ride is awful too.
I don't think there would be much affection for Figment if the version in the current attraction is the only one that had ever existed. The original Figment was appealing in part because he was a unique creation for EPCOT Center who added to the sense that the park was something unique rather than just WDW theme park #2. Figment's persona was also completely different, more like a wide eyed child than the annoying brat you see in the current attraction.

What is frustrating is that the original JII was really a signature Epcot attraction that just needed some updating. It had unique characters, a catchy song, and a kind of off-the-wall concept. The fact that a whole two-part episode of South Park was more or less structured around the attraction years after it closed shows that it stuck in at least some people's minds! My honest view is that it was more timeless than other parts of original EPCOT Center such as World of Motion or Horizons. Disney really couldn't do much better than an updated version of that original concept, but I can never imagine Disney budgeting tens of millions for that in this day and age in place of another attraction based on yet another animated feature.

Otterhead

Sadly, Disney does not agree. They have been trying to get rid of Figment and Imagination for a long time.
Nah.
They did indeed introduce a new version of the ride without Figment, but quickly learned what a terrible idea (and ride) that was.
The merchandise and related media around Figment does huge business. He's a very popular character.
I'm not sure how you can say "Disney does not agree" when he's clearly good business for them.

the annoying brat you see in the current attraction.
Yeah, sadly. That's the big flaw here. His personality in the new ride is far from endearing. He's just sort of bratty and irritating, not the "wow wow WOW!" character people love and remember. Happily, the Figment they've been writing in the comics is much better.

FigmentJedi

Send me to the gallows but I wouldn't shed any tears if this attraction and character go the way of the dodo. I have never understood the crazy affection this dragon gets. Talk about overrated. I don't know if Figment was less of an annoying pest in his previous incarnations, but his persona today drives me up a wall. The ride is awful too.
tenor.gif

Kman101

Nah.
They did indeed introduce a new version of the ride without Figment, but quickly learned what a terrible idea (and ride) that was.
The merchandise and related media around Figment does huge business. He's a very popular character.
I'm not sure how you can say "Disney does not agree" when he's clearly good business for them.

Yeah, sadly. That's the big flaw here. His personality in the new ride is far from endearing. He's just sort of bratty and irritating, not the "wow wow WOW!" character people love and remember. Happily, the Figment they've been writing in the comics is much better.

Yes, they have been trying to get rid of him and the ride. Maybe not so much anymore but it's the truth.

Sir_Cliff

*peers at an entire store full of Figment merchandise*
Okeydoke!
I wouldn't take that as much of an insurance against Figment's demise. I'm sure they figure they could make at least as much money off a store full of merchandise based on any of their films. Disney has also proved more than happy to keep producing merchandise for closed attractions, so I'm sure they'd keep trying to sell us Figment t-shirts and figures and insert little Figment references around the place as they've done with the Orange Bird. Would not be surprised to see a Figment Cafe pop up at Epcot long after he disappeared from the ride!

Otterhead

I wouldn't take that as much of an insurance against Figment's demise.
Well, there's two things we're talking about here, Figment the attraction and Figment the iconic character.

Given the state of the current attraction I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it revamped into something else within the next few years, with or without him. Without Dreamfinder he's a little lost as a character and to kids he's just a cute purple dragon (although not as cute in wonky 3D animation, skunk-farting on them). Imagination either needs a complete revamp into the sort of thing it used to be or a rethink. It's on fumes, that's pretty clear.

I absolutely agree that whatever it turns into, Figment the character is popular enough to stick around, though. They've been embracing him as the park host, more or less, and in that role, I think he'll have a long lifespan.

the.dreamfinder

I do recall that. Such a shame. Wasn't there a planned closure in early 2014 that was going to be the Dreamfinder revival? Tony Baxter's swan song? I seem to recall @marni1971 talking about it. Until the funds were relocated....
While I can appreciate sending Tony's Imagineering career out with a bang, many individuals were involved in the creation of the original JII. Some, like Walt Peregoy, are no longer with us, but Tim and Steve Kirk, Tom Morris and Larry Nikolai, all of whom are no longer with the company, are probably up for working on JII 4.0 as much as he is.

Last edited:

Bacon

Original Poster
Don't worry, guys! If Figment gets taken away he'll still live on in our imaginations! ;)

No but really, I would be so sad if he was taken away. I wish they could make two separate rides: an updated Journey Into Imagination and an IP based one. Hopefully there'd be a draw for almost everyone then.
IMAAAAAGINAAAATIOOOOOOON

MissM

Let me tell you from doing a Figment Disneybound last weekend for Dapper Day, there are SO MANY PEOPLE who love Figment. I had literally dozens of both guests AND cast members all day go, "Figment!!" when I walked by and tell me he was their favorite or that, "Figment is so underrated!" People ALL DAY couldn't stop smiling and telling me how much they love him. If that response is any indication at all, they would be shooting themselves in the foot to remove him.
dapper-day-figment2.jpeg

He's also the key feature on both Flower & Garden and Food & Wine merchandise for the past several years. The F&G Dooney and Bourke bag last year was the first time Figment was on a bag - and it sold out fast.

fg-figment-dooney.jpg

I would just LOVE if the attraction were a fraction of the awesomeness, wonderment and creativity of the original again.

Otterhead

I had literally dozens of both guests AND cast members all day go, "Figment!!" when I walked by
On my last visit, I bought one of those Figment hoodies they sell at Imagination and wore it around. The reactions were kind of amazing. Tons of people asking me where I got it, asking for their photo with me (?!) and telling me they love Figment. I had CMs yell "Figment!" at me all day, give me free food at snack stands ("Figment deserves free food!") and one of the servers at Whispering Canyon yelled "Hey everyone! We have a special guest -- Figment's here!" and had me stand on a chair and ushered kids over to get their photos with me. It was totally surreal but it definitely showed me how many people have a fondness for the character.

ps. Your outfit is amazing!

NeedMoreMickey

Not a fan of Figment, don't care if he stays or goes. Was very disappointed at F&G this year that almost all the merchandise I like had him on it so I didn't buy any of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom