News Figment meet and greet returning to EPCOT at Walt Disney World in a 'whole new way'

pdude81

I’m still not over how they teased figment when it’s in such need of TLC and then it ends up just being a M&G
I feel like there was supposed to be more here. Not greenlit new attraction necessarily, but that they are working on "Reimagining" the ride with Figment and Dreamfinder. Completely made up on my part, but they spent far too much energy and thought teasing Imagination for it to just be a meet and greet.

Inspired Figment

I feel like there was supposed to be more here. Not greenlit new attraction necessarily, but that they are working on "Reimagining" the ride with Figment and Dreamfinder. Completely made up on my part, but they spent far too much energy and thought teasing Imagination for it to just be a meet and greet.
Truth be told, the fact the pictures shown were simply on the floor guests and nothing substantial says to me it was a announcement made on the fly right before the presentation and that no substantial plans were there but they were desperate for good PR due to knowing how lackluster/lacking the presentation stood as-is otherwise.

Inspired Figment

Think about it folks… a typical meet n greet costs next to nothing and is very risk averse even if it doesn’t come to fruition. They were intentionally vague enough with it saying “we’re working on bringing him to life rn” to where they could implement ‘whatever’ for a meet n greet that wouldn’t cost much to start up, even if they couldn’t do something Particularly revolutionary or substantial.

Inspired Figment

Which, I mean, ultimately is a win-win having Figment be a meet n greet again regardless.. but it definitley explains the lack of any substantial material or detail about it, plus the genuine ride comeback announcement.

Last edited:

pdude81

I have a feeling this is a prelude to something bigger. Maybe having the meet & greet open when the overall pavilion goes down for a revamp? Something to have as a tangible Figment presence while the ride itself is offline.

Possibly having him as the first M&G within CommuniCore Hall when that opens?
I don't think that Disney Visa M&G does much business. Perhaps if there was an animatronic Figment they could have it open for longer than a few hours in the middle of the day.

Then again, if they truly plan to redo Imagination, I assume they would close down the whole area.

Rodj

"Disney had set the look for the AA Figment in the JII ride-thru”
What I find interesting about this is that the AA Figment molds aren’t accurate to the proper design of Figment. I have a suspicion that they were made between the early post-green Figment design(full purple, no pink or orange, belly scales are very short. Seen in the 1983 science scene projections and early artwork/merch) and the final design(pinkish tan belly, belly scales typically only run from the top of the chest to bottom of the belly, belly scales are wide/typically only see around 7-9)

MaryJaneP

Upon the word of one "leader", those who fondly remember JIYI, and countless others, could enjoy the return of the Dreamfinder AND Figment. Too bad this is unlikely to ever happen.

Inspired Figment

Upon the word of one "leader", those who fondly remember JIYI, and countless others, could enjoy the return of the Dreamfinder AND Figment. Too bad this is unlikely to ever happen.
*JII = original 83-98 Journey Into Imagination w Dreamfinder & Figment, JI’Y’I implies Journey Into ‘Your’ Imagination. Which was the really bad 99-01 Honey I Shrunk/Medfield College IP based version in between that had little to no Figment whatsoever.
But I agree wholeheartedly that they should restore the original attraction with the tech enhancements and spfx updates it could get today ala DL Lincoln show maybe w the stuff that was cut during development due to budgetary constraints (like the fully animated laser of Figment dancing with the ballerina in the performing arts scene, more special effects w the rainbow & colors in the Work of Art scene, film finale having the fully animated Figments as opposed to just puppets, roller coaster drop in the literature segment, projection effects for the various realms we see in the transition scene between the science & film technology scenes (Figment gets his fortune/future revealed by Dreamfinder) ,etc. I wouldn’t give up hope entirely yet.. something tells me things may turn around with how dissapointed people were with the Expo announcements and how the parks have been maintained/staffed, etc. lately.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

What I find interesting about this is that the AA Figment molds aren’t accurate to the proper design of Figment. I have a suspicion that they were made between the early post-green Figment design(full purple, no pink or orange, belly scales are very short. Seen in the 1983 science scene projections and early artwork/merch) and the final design(pinkish tan belly, belly scales typically only run from the top of the chest to bottom of the belly, belly scales are wide/typically only see around 7-9)
Interestingly enough, that design of Figment with the scales going only from his chest to the bottom of his belly, was originally drawn w the conceptual green & blue color scheme. I honestly just think the design difference was a simple artistic design choice to make him easier to draw elsewhere from the attraction itself. But not entirely sure. Someone would have to ask somebody directly involved w designing Figment himself. The show, Dreamfinders also would’ve utilized a design more reminiscent to the AA figures.

Attachments

• B51F5E3A-C2E8-408E-8526-E997D35992A6.jpeg
    B51F5E3A-C2E8-408E-8526-E997D35992A6.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Inspired Figment

Here’s the Dreamfinders show puppet design. He would’ve been cable controlled (similar to the puppets used in the film finale segment of the attraction. Again using the same overall look & model as the AA molds);
71ABCC87-28F4-4296-9EAC-F47588A57428.jpeg

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

Still surprised they haven't done anything with him on the Disney Jr side of the company...yet.
Honestly I’m not a fan at all of that idea, because you then relegate that character as being strictly for preschoolers and it makes older folks’ more hesitant to latch onto him.

You’d be shocked to see how many people that grew up in the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse prominent era now associate Mickey & Friends as strictly preschool fodder when he was never intended to be. That or as modern Mickey having no personality, humor, or identity. ‘That’ my friends was a direct result of that approach. Discontinuing the Mickey Mouse Works shorts/House of Mouse was a HUGE mistake that made considerable damage to Mickey’s reputation through the years as of late. Atleast the past couple decades.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

The way a tv show should’ve’ been handeled I believe was a series done in the style of New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh & Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers for example. Something that’s appealing to the entire age spectrum without dumbing itself down only to preschool children. Traditional Disney style storytelling, writing, and quality that makes it truly timeless. Just like the original attraction.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

Ultimately though, I feel it’s important that they first restore the ride back to its former glory and see how well that does before doing anything else large with the Dreamfinder & Figment characters. I think it’s important to prove to the higher ups that Infact, creations not directly connected to pre-existing tv or film originated IP is infact very viable for the company and should continue to be invested in as a balance ‘alongside’ the latter, like in the past.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

Honestly I’m not a fan at all of that idea, because you then relegate that character as being strictly for preschoolers and it makes older folks’ more hesitant to latch onto him.

You’d be shocked to see how many people that grew up in the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse prominent era now associate Mickey & Friends as strictly preschool fodder when he was never intended to be. That or as modern Mickey having no personality, humor, or identity. ‘That’ my friends was a direct result of that approach. Discontinuing the Mickey Mouse Works shorts/House of Mouse was a HUGE mistake that made considerable damage to Mickey’s reputation through the years as of late. Atleast the past couple decades.
Ah kind of like how they did it to The Rocketeer..
EwXRXpTVkAUhGJc.jpg

But, if you look at the Dreamfinders show that got cancelled it was appealing more to kids than adults..
tumblr_n21je5dCjw1rqqcizo1_1280.jpg

Inspired Figment

Ah kind of like how they did it to The Rocketeer..
EwXRXpTVkAUhGJc.jpg

But, if you look at the Dreamfinders show that got cancelled it was appealing more to kids than adults..
tumblr_n21je5dCjw1rqqcizo1_1280.jpg
If you read a script written for it. You’ll realize it aimed at an older/wider age range of kids. The kids in the show range from being 8 to atleast preteen/teens I believe. I’ll post the link to the script once I find it

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom