Fiberglass Statues at WDW

_caleb

Original Poster
Question: When did Disney start installing fiberglass statues of characters?

I've grown up going to the parks, and I remember a time when these were not common in the parks. In fact, they were stuff of Bob's Big Boy restaurants and McDonald's Playplaces.

1f9686c7041f575bf039fdcb4f54cda9.jpg

If you know, you know.

Sometimes, you'd see one that was a cheap knockoff of a Disney character, and every kid recognized it for what it was.

9e552baa891c96b93e908f929353c4f6.jpg

Maybe that's Donald's half-cousin or something.

Obviously, many ride vehicles use some variation of these: Dumbo, Tea Cups, etc. But now, freestanding character "statues" are all over Disney's parks and resorts. From the Art of Animation's courtyard "decorations," to Port Orleans French Quarter's jazz alligators to Blizzard Beach's new Frozen themed kiddie area. In CA, it's Jack-Jack on a stick at DCA, Tarzan's Treehouse in DLR, etc.

I'm curious: what were the first instances of fiberglass statues in Disney parks?
What are the best (and worst) uses of these that you've seen at WDW?

JustAFan

I've grown up going to the parks, and I remember a time when these were not common in the parks. In fact, they were stuff of Bob's Big Boy restaurants and McDonald's Playplaces.

View attachment 674832
If you know, you know.

Sometimes, you'd see one that was a cheap knockoff of a Disney character, and every kid recognized it for what it was.

View attachment 674833

Obviously, many ride vehicles use some variation of these: Dumbo, Tea Cups, etc. But now, freestanding character "statues" are all over Disney's parks and resorts. From the Art of Animation's courtyard "decorations," to Port Orleans French Quarter's jazz alligators to Blizzard Beach's new Frozen themed kiddie area. In CA, it's Jack-Jack on a stick at DCA, Tarzan's Treehouse in DLR, etc.

I'm curious: what were the first instances of fiberglass statues in Disney parks?
Many sources document that Walt and his team were early adopters of the fairly new material (fiberglass) when he built Disneyland in the 1950s. They liked it for Autopia cars and Dumbo vehicles. I'm not sure how many statues they had back then, but some researchers seem to think it was a preferred material to be used when possible or appropriate.

Sir_Cliff

View attachment 674832
If you know, you know.

View attachment 674833

I don't know when they started, but the usage I really dislike is when they stick figures of the characters into the themed environment such as the Up characters at Adventureland in Disneyland Paris:

DLP-MK-Adventureland-Pixar-Up-Scene-with-Russell-and-Carl.jpeg

That looks very McDonald's playground to me rather than creating a themed environment.

I think Blizzard Beach opened full of those sort of figures, though.

_caleb

Original Poster
Many sources document that Walt and his team were early adopters of the fairly new material (fiberglass) when he built Disneyland in the 1950s. They liked it for Autopia cars and Dumbo vehicles. I'm not sure how many statues they had back then, but some researchers seem to think it was a preferred material to be used when possible or appropriate.
Right. Along with plastic, it was seen as a space-age material.

I see a difference between fiberglass ride vehicles and character statues. Maybe one just evolved into the other? Obviously, fiberglas is an amazing material; lightweight, strong, waterproof, nonconductive, easy to clean, etc. But using the material to make character statues seems like a newer thing, to me.

_caleb

Original Poster
I don't know when they started, but the usage I really dislike is when they stick figures of the characters into the themed environment such as the Up characters at Adventureland in Disneyland Paris:

View attachment 674876

That looks very McDonald's playground to me rather than creating a themed environment.

I think Blizzard Beach opened full of those sort of figures, though.
I agree. This is exactly what I have in mind. Granted, these are MUCH better done than the ill-formed ones you'll see used for carnival kiddie rides, but Disney didn't used to do this, did they?

MickeyLuv'r

I can't quite answer your question, but a Dumbo is displayed at the American history branch of the Smithsonian in DC. So somebody thought the Disney one was special, and worthy.

The ones at the hotels I think date to the opening of those hotels. Maybe they have added, removed, or replaced some over the years. They do update the pools every so often, but AoA had them when it opened.

The splash area at GF is newer. I think they were maybe phase one of DVC expansion. (Just my vague recollection, nothing official.)

_caleb

Original Poster
The display at the Smithsonian @MickeyLuv'r referenced above:

2005-15901.jpg

And one of the alligators at Port Orleans French Quarter:

port-orleans-resort-french-quarter-review-gator-band-member.jpg

Not to be confused with these painted resin(?) figures from MK's Snow White ride:

BurnsDwarfs.jpg

_caleb

Original Poster
Toontown and Toontown Fair we're heavily fiberglass based with the props, statues and whatnot..
Yeah- props were fiberglass:

BarnPopcorn.jpg

But not a lot of just "here's a static Goofy staring in your general direction":

3cc138d2d005c9626326d6b22e509a73-2.jpg

This seems to be a more recent thing.

LittleBuford

But now, freestanding character "statues" are all over Disney's parks and resorts. From the Art of Animation's courtyard "decorations," to Port Orleans French Quarter's jazz alligators to Blizzard Beach's new Frozen themed kiddie area.
Are you drawing a distinction between IP and non-IP characters? The newly installed Frozen statues at Blizzard Beach are replacements for statues of crocodiles.

_caleb

Original Poster
Are you drawing a distinction between IP and non-IP characters? The newly installed Frozen statues at Blizzard Beach are replacements for statues of crocodiles.
Good point! No need to distinguish. I'm mostly after "when did Disney start setting up fiberglass statues in/around the parks?"

The alligators were certainly an example of this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom