Few questions about January trip

ELG13

Hey guys! So while the kids don't know we are going in January, and it's only two days, I still want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before we go. I figure especially since it's only 2 days I want to make sure it goes smoothly since we don't have a lot of extra time. I apologize in advance for all the questions 😂 I have so many different types that trying to track down the most accurate, up-to-date answers was proving to be difficult!!
1) we are driving straight to MK that day from our home and will be activating our APs. I know we can do it there but is there anything I need to bring aside from our license to verify? What should I expect to get (do we get our magnet there? Do they still give the discount cards? ) ?
2) we've never parked at the parks before. What should I know? APs are free parking I believe, but if we won't have it activated until we leave will that be a problem(I wasn't sure if you pay on arrival or departure for parking).
3) How do the ride lines work now? Since we have the kids with us we probably won't be doing the big rides unless we can convince out 9yo to do splash with me and mine train with her dad 😂
4) Is Starbucks on MS open and does the confectionary have rice krispies? I remember hearing that when everything opened the rice krispies were hard to find due to supply issues.
5) I have an ADR for whispering canyon. This will be our first time eating in a restaurant since last March (oh how I've missed eating in restaurants). It's always one of our favorites. Has anyone been that can vouch for the safety of it as an indoor dining experience? I figured out of all the places we frequent down there that seemed to be the most open, indoor dining and we never felt crowded even during a full dinner service in precovid days.
6) we are staying at Pop for the first time. Anything special I should know? We've always stayed at the campgrounds. We thought the first night we could just do dinner at the bar next to the pool while the kids swam(heated pool I assume). Is this an option right now??
If you've made it this far THANK YOU!!!!! So excited to get back to the world but still nervous that it will not happen. After cancelling 3 trips I've become a bit of a pessimist with my Disney trips.

ELG13

Original Poster
Perfect! if you have that that is all you need! They can scan it and all of your information will be there, super simple!
I've never had to park at the parks so I'm kind of excited to go in that way. Usually it's a back road through back lots to get on to fort wilderness for a cabin and boat or bus to parks.

Upvote 0

JohnD

Ok that's all doable for us. It may be a slight problem in April just because we don't want to wait in line for an hour and a half with a baby but we will obviously worry about that later. I kinda knew that lines were getting lengthy but I was hoping they were still shorter than before and I'm hoping that we may have timed January correctly with lowers crowds since it's right after kids go back from Christmas break. Also I did not know they stopped the ride every 20 minutes to clean. I guess I assumed cast members wiped them down as people exited.

Well, rather than my being able to answer you first directly, I have to disagree with @Zé_Carioca first for answering your question to me. Yes, there are wait times for all attractions. However, because of no FP+, I have to say that Standby wait times have gone considerably down not up, particularly on the most popular rides.

Sure FP+ gets you your reserved spot to get on quicker. (And yes, I know this is a deal breaker for some, but I digress.) But FP+ had the effect of increasing Standby wait times by a lot. Now, everyone is on the same playing field so standby moves quicker. Also, take any posted wait time and subtract 20 minutes. That's about how long it really takes to board an attraction. For example, as I type this Flight of Passage has a posted wait time of 55 minutes. Subtract 20 minutes and its really about 35 minutes. For that attraction, that's nothing. Now compare that to any given day with FP+ and you're at 100 minutes or more in the Standby line.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In October there were no Rice Krispie treats and I was bummed. It was not a supply issue and the Confectionery was quite bare as a lot must have been removed for social distancing purposes.

We were there President‘s Day weekend and our longest wait time was 80 minutes for FOP and the line moved very slow. Most rides were less than 30 minutes with posted wait times being higher as mentioned,

Also, keep in mind Park Hopping resumes Jan 1 with its new structure so it will be interesting to see how the lines will be affected. So if you desire you can hit all parks in 2 days.

Upvote 0

Schweino

They are actually allowing people in fastpass, but I have no idea why or how they are able. I thought it was an AP only benefit or something as my guess.

Upvote 0

Rob562

During our trip, it was my understanding it was available for active service members and family as well as those with disabilities which has been the norm.

May also be people returning for Child Swap or re-entry passes from the ride breaking down with them on it.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Zé_Carioca

Well, rather than my being able to answer you first directly, I have to disagree with @Zé_Carioca first for answering your question to me. Yes, there are wait times for all attractions. However, because of no FP+, I have to say that Standby wait times have gone considerably down not up, particularly on the most popular rides.

Sure FP+ gets you your reserved spot to get on quicker. (And yes, I know this is a deal breaker for some, but I digress.) But FP+ had the effect of increasing Standby wait times by a lot. Now, everyone is on the same playing field so standby moves quicker. Also, take any posted wait time and subtract 20 minutes. That's about how long it really takes to board an attraction. For example, as I type this Flight of Passage has a posted wait time of 55 minutes. Subtract 20 minutes and its really about 35 minutes. For that attraction, that's nothing. Now compare that to any given day with FP+ and you're at 100 minutes or more in the Standby line.
Sorry John,
my comment was not regarding Fast Pass, as I completely agree. Lines are moving much better now without FastPass and I prefer it this way. I was mostly trying to combat the information going around that there are barely any lines (since that is what was reported when the parks first re-opened but has quickly changed as more people travel again). Lines can get a bit long, especially during holiday season so guests have been getting angry thinking coming now means no crowds. There are still lines and some can get bad but I do agree that they move much faster now and look much longer than they are due to distancing.

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
That makes a lot of sense with FP+. I always hated when the standby line would finally get a good click going and start to move only to see 30 people rush into fast pass and then we wouldn't move again for 30 minutes as they emptied the FP line. As a person in fp it's awesome, but in the regular line, not so awesome lol

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
Ok another question since I really don't want to start a new thread when I can piggy back off of this. Do we need a game plan for the park? We aren't sure what time we will arrive the first day since we are waking up and driving straight to the park. We are hoping noon. We don't have any plans for big rides except I have got to do splash of it's open. My husband may want to do space but we can do those the second day of we need to jump on those early. But with waits the way they are....Pirates is huge for us....buzz, little mermaid, winnie the pooh....should we hit anything in particular first or just make our rounds?

Upvote 0

Zé_Carioca

Ok another question since I really don't want to start a new thread when I can piggy back off of this. Do we need a game plan for the park? We aren't sure what time we will arrive the first day since we are waking up and driving straight to the park. We are hoping noon. We don't have any plans for big rides except I have got to do splash of it's open. My husband may want to do space but we can do those the second day of we need to jump on those early. But with waits the way they are....Pirates is huge for us....buzz, little mermaid, winnie the pooh....should we hit anything in particular first or just make our rounds?
I am probably not the best to answer since I go regularly so I never plan and can just go back but especially now, I don't think visitors need a plan since there's no FP+. I recommend getting to the park early (but its not a big deal since you can't the first day) and checking wait times. From personal experience visiting after the changes, it seems busier during noon-early afternoon so plan the popular rides later in the day or close to park open.

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
I am probably not the best to answer since I go regularly so I never plan and can just go back but especially now, I don't think visitors need a plan since there's no FP+. I recommend getting to the park early (but its not a big deal since you can't the first day) and checking wait times. From personal experience visiting after the changes, it seems busier during noon-early afternoon so plan the popular rides later in the day or close to park open.
Ok that was sort of my thought. I told my husband he may be able to walk on space mountain easily at the end of the day while I take the kiddos to buzz and then do the same for splash.

Upvote 0

DisAl

Don't forget to check the weather forecast a day or two before you go. I have seen it 38 degrees and 78 degrees in January.

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
Don't forget to check the weather forecast a day or two before you go. I have seen it 38 degrees and 78 degrees in January.
Yeah I have been eagerly waiting for some extended forecasts to be available ... currently at 16 days. I live in the panhandle so we are a bit cooler here than they are down there. We plan on shirts and jackets with shorts for now. Dang florida weather is so finicky. And the layers....ugh. I have half a wardrobe in my closet by the end of the day with three kids lol

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
They are actually allowing people in fastpass, but I have no idea why or how they are able. I thought it was an AP only benefit or something as my guess.
To clarify this.

The FP line is being used for DAS, child swap, Club 33 and also where a ride goes down and they give out an FP for it to those who were in line etc.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom