Festival of Fantasy Parade coming to Magic Kingdom in 2014

The Duck

Good question! That's exactly how Steve Davison has been designing new parades for Anaheim and Hong Kong for almost a decade now; with onboard lighting effects built-in for nighttime viewing. Parade of Dreams, Soundsational, Pixar Play Parade, etc. all were designed with onboard lighting for evening performances.

I've never understood why they schedule the "Three O'clock Parade" at WDW right during the peak thunderstorm hour. Onboard lighting for Festival of Fantasy could allow them to shift parade times towards evening and get the parade out of the rain.

Not only are lights installed on the Soundsational floats, but I've noticed on several videos that additional spotlights have been installed along the parade route at Disneyland. Has anyone heard if WDW might get these extra lights? If so, we can probably kiss MSEP good bye.

TP2000

Not only are lights installed on the Soundsational floats, but I've noticed on several videos that additional spotlights have been installed along the parade route at Disneyland. Has anyone heard if WDW might get these extra lights? If so, we can probably kiss MSEP good bye.

Those lights at Disneyland come up on risers on the rooftops for night parades and seem to be LED colored lights that change throughout the parade to specific color palettes for the specific float that is passing by. I've noticed that WDW has night lighting for parades too, but they are just general white utility lights that illuminate the street in plain white light.

If they are upgrading the Magic Kingdom Park parade route audio system to be more like Disneyland's, and since Steve Davison seems to design all his parades with onboard audio for night performances, it would make sense that TDO is also installing the colored light system from Disneyland and ditching the old white utility lights. DCA has an identical lighting system installed on rooftops along its parade route too.

But you don't have to use them. For the MSEP they could just keep them in the lowered and off position and do the MSEP as per normal. DCA kind of did that when it was running Pixar Play Parade and MSEP during nighttime based on the season. But at DCA the parade lights would be on and flashing colors prior to the parade, and would then dim and go dark as the parade began at the end of the famous intro.

Here's that intro-lighting example for MSEP from DCA a few years ago, from about the 10 second to 60 second point on this video.

They could do the same type of thing for the MSEP at Magic Kingdom Park, once they got that type of colored light rigs installed on all the rooftops along the parade route for Festival of Fantasy.

The Duck

Those lights at Disneyland come up on risers on the rooftops for night parades and seem to be LED colored lights that change throughout the parade to specific color palettes for the specific float that is passing by. I've noticed that WDW has night lighting for parades too, but they are just general white utility lights that illuminate the street in plain white light.

If they are upgrading the Magic Kingdom Park parade route audio system to be more like Disneyland's, and since Steve Davison seems to design all his parades with onboard audio for night performances, it would make sense that TDO is also installing the colored light system from Disneyland and ditching the old white utility lights. DCA has an identical lighting system installed on rooftops along its parade route too.

But you don't have to use them. For the MSEP they could just keep them in the lowered and off position and do the MSEP as per normal. DCA kind of did that when it was running Pixar Play Parade and MSEP during nighttime based on the season. But at DCA the parade lights would be on and flashing colors prior to the parade, and would then dim and go dark as the parade began at the end of the famous intro.

Here's that intro-lighting example for MSEP from DCA a few years ago, from about the 10 second to 60 second point on this video.

They could do the same type of thing for the MSEP at Magic Kingdom Park, once they got that type of colored light rigs installed on all the rooftops along the parade route for Festival of Fantasy.

Good point. If WDW decides to drop the traditional nighttime parades, at least Disneyland has a precedent for an illuminated parade to run day and night.
While I would hate to see WDW eliminate MSEP, it might be more practical (economical) to run one parade day and night. I guess we'll find out sometime in the next year or so.

Tinkerbell 8

I'm excited to see a new daytime parade in MK, but I would not like it if they used the same parade for both the daytime and nighttime show. Now, if they wanted to make a new nighttime parade that would be awesome (even if MSEP is my favorite). I feel like this would be just another cut to disneys entertainment. Next thing you know they will be using the same fireworks from the castle show as the nighttime show.

COProgressFan

There are quite a few live musicians on the floats, or marching alongside, in Soundsational. Have we heard anything about live musicians on the floats for Festival of Fantasy?

I would be incredibly surprised if there were live musicians in Festival of Fantasy. Disney has gone out of their way to eliminate live musicians throughout property in the last 10 years or so.

I think the last time we saw live musicians in a parade was in the old Very Merry Christmas Parade, which was retired in 2005 or 2006. When the refreshed parade came back with a new song and renovated floats, the musicians were gone. Live musicians were also part of the Twas the Night Before Christmas stage show (now replaced by a glorious parking lot for managers at the MK!) and even until about 2001 the castle show had live music.

I would be thrilled to see live musicians in a parade again, but I wouldn't hold much hope on that one.

mm52200

I'm hearing that Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade is going away in October, so it looks like Festival of Fantasy is going to be the only game in town as far as Disney parades go.
Where is this being heard??? Seriously the parks that need more to do (DHS and DAK) should not be losing parades. It's pathetic how cheap TDO is getting. I have really high hopes for the new parade but unfortunately I'm already fearful of it eventually being butchered ala BPB.

candydog

I'm really glad that there's finally been some progress on the long-rumoured "Festival of Fantasy Parade". Definitely a few surprises in the line-up though - I'm really happy to see that there might be a Sleeping Beauty float as there has been very few units in any parade at any park dedicated solely to that particular movie - it's also my favourite Disney movie and I think it has so much potential for an amazing parade float. Aside from that, I'm very surprised, but very happy that there appears to be no "generic princess float" which has been appearing in pretty much every parade in every park for the last number of years. I like seeing individual floats based on individual themes.

As for there being no parade at the end of the year, is that confirmed? Is it not possible that Disney may run CADCT until the Christmas parade starts and then run that daily until January? Also, they have a catalogue of floats which they constantly re-dress for xmas and Halloween that have been around for decades. If they wanted something simple to fill in the few months between parades they could run a parade using these floats similar to the "Character Hit Parade" of 1989-91.

WDWDad13

And people visiting WDW in late 2013/early 2014 will have NO daytime parades? Magical...

We're going in December and yes that would be odd as often as we go not having any parades at any of the parks. I think the Jammin Jungle Parade could use a refresh, but if it goes away... AK might be empty by 2 or 3

I will say however if it takes stopping all the parades to put everything they have into 1 really special one at MK then I'm all for it (as long as they eventually bring SOMETHING back to AK and DHS - even if it's a move it shake it celebrate it type parade - short and sweet)

TP2000

I was just saying to myself, self, you know, there's too much to do at DAK.

Agreed. However, cutting Jammin' Jungle Parade might be from the same strategy as killing off Pixar Play Parade. In that, it's a weak parade by 2013 standards and long past its prime, and removing it might help the overall park experience more than it hurts it.

Jammin' Jungle Parade is twelve years old. I saw it once around '03 as I remember, but never made a point of watching it again. Has it ever received any other updates or plusses over the past decade?

Running a parade for twelve years is an eternity in all other Disney park properties around the world. It's actually quite unheard of at the other properties (with the sole exception of the various forms of the MSEP, which seems to be exempt from that concept). But the same afternoon parade day after day for over a decade?!? That only happens on WDW property, honestly.

Perhaps now that WDW has a President who has done recent stints in other Disney properties around the world, he is bringing that sense of plussing and freshening from the other properties to WDW's major entertainment. But it can't happen all at once, so maybe George Kalogridis is strategically going in and killing off these dusty dinosaurs to save a few bucks in '13 to help fund their fresh replacements in '14 and '15? That would be the optimistic scenario, at least. :)

Crazydisneyfanluke

Something that they should do, on busy days in season, is have a FoF about 1pm to spread out the lunch crowd. Then have it again at about 7pm when the sun has/is set(ting), to spread out the dinner crowd. Then it would change the flow of the people. Instead of everyone having lunch 11:30-1:30, it might start earlier (about 11) and last until about 2:30-3. Which then they could take a few CM and place them were needed through the park. same with the evening parade. I think they should keep 2 parades, a daytime and a light parade. Even if it limps along, or they make a new one with the best floats they have from MSEP and Spectro.
Knowing Steve he will want to do a new firework show using the projectors and new elements (water, fire, etc.). I hope that MK isnt the only one to get a new parade, DHS and AK need one! If steve does them, you know they will be around for awhile!
I hope with Steve at WDW good changes will come. Much needed changes!

TP2000

I hope with Steve at WDW good changes will come. Much needed changes!

Steve Davison still lives and works in Southern California, based out of WDI's sprawling Glendale creative campus. He's done all this WDW design work from SoCal, although I'm sure he takes business trips to Orlando occasionally and will be there to see the new parade launch in '14.

Agreed that they are needed changes. I've been surprised to read some of the reactions to CADCT parade leaving, so many people actually enjoy it, but that's all they've known for over a decade because they've never been to Anaheim, Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc. Once these nice folks know what 21st century day parades are actually supposed to be like, the other WDW parades are going to look quite weak by comparison.

Which is why I think George K. is killing off the other day parades at DHS and DAK, as they are even weaker than CADCT and would look like a fat old 1990's 20-inch tube TV in a wall mounted 60-inch HDTV world. Pretty smart of George K., if that is in fact what he's doing here.

asianway

Where is this being heard??? Seriously the parks that need more to do (DHS and DAK) should not be losing parades. It's pathetic how cheap TDO is getting. I have really high hopes for the new parade but unfortunately I'm already fearful of it eventually being butchered ala BPB.
Im hearing this as well. And then they wonder why MK is packed to the gills and attendance is flat or dropping at the other 3 parks.

TP2000

Im hearing this as well. And then they wonder why MK is packed to the gills and attendance is flat or dropping at the other 3 parks.

Shall we start a pool on which WDW parks attendance will be overtaken by DCA attendance in 2013? I'll take DHS and DAK falling behind DCA, with Epcot hanging on by a thread of a few hundred thousand. o_O

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom