• Indifferent to Animal Kingdom - Can take it or leave it

Votes: 24 23.5%
  • Never visited Animal Kingdom

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters

WDWJunkie

Banned
Original Poster
How would you describe your feelings for Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park? Personally, I was very disappointed with it. I felt that the very few worthwhile attractions could all be done within a very short period of time, making the park one that could be done within a morning. It's definitely not a whole-day park, but a park that feels very incomplete. It's a very pretty zoo, to put it simply. This new announcement about an Everest coaster ride is getting things on the right track. Add one or two more big rides after that and it'll be in there with the other three parks.

Becky

I wouldn't buy a single day pass. If you have a hopper or AP then a half day or so is fine. You can head for another park.

AK is a work in progress and someday it will have much more and therefore be open longer.

CTXRover

There is no doubt that AK needs more traditional rides if it is to compete with other traditional theme parks. However, I absolutely love the place. I think of it as a new kind of theme park, kind of like their original slogan ("A new species of Theme Park").

If you want to go there and check off rides as accomplishments then I would agree that it isn't superb yet. But I think with just a couple of rides (Everest should be a great addition), it will be superb! But, I love to just sit and watch the animals or take a VERY long time walking through the Pangani Forest trail or Majarajah (spelling?) Jungle trek or looking at the TOL. Of course, this isn't everyone's idea of a great theme park, but for me it is :) In fact, I can easily spend all day there, but maybe that is just me.

disneydudette

I defiantley agree with CTXRover

I feel that Disney tried to mix a zoo and thrill park into a theme park....

Ak is not a zoo....yes you can see animals...but its not your traditional zoo...

Ak is also not a thrill park....yes there are some good rides....but like what was said before....they can be done within a morning....

AK is a THEME park....it combines thrill rides with animals....while maintaining a wonderful theme.....

But I think thats whats so great about AK....it's theme....i think is out-themes all of the other four parks....
Sometimes I have to remember that it is a theme park..and not a zoo or amusement park....

Jammin2054Slamm

I agree. It's a great park but it lacks attractions. I think in a few years it will be a great park. Everest is a great edition. the shows are also some of the best shows i saw in WDW. I really like the legend of the lion king and Tarzan Rocks.

swhite

Animal Kingdom

I enjoyed animal kingdom it was very scenic and that is just that it is a pretty park not a thrill park it is still a little rough around the edges definetly not a whole day park but there are still more things to come Disney I'm sure will not dissapoint

Ragdoll

I'm indifferent to it. I like the Dinosaur ride that's in the dark and the rolly Mouse trap but every time I'm there I die of heat! It's like the ground is specifically designed to absorb heat...

CTXRover

Originally posted by Ragdoll
I'm indifferent to it. I like the Dinosaur ride that's in the dark and the rolly Mouse trap but every time I'm there I die of heat! It's like the ground is specifically designed to absorb heat...

It does seem to be hotter than the other parks and I was once told they actually did a study and found that on a given day AK feels almost 10 degrees warmer than the other areas of the property, mostly because of the foilage. I think they did too good of a job making a rainforest-type environment :lol: I usually go during December or early spring, so this temp. difference doesn't affect me too much, but I can only imagine it during the summer.

Overall, I still love the place :)

imagineersrock

you couldnt have said it better CTXROVER

anyway, yeah i love AK... maybe because i see it as the park with most potential..? but anyway, i believe after the opening of everest, the park will continue to grow into a fantastic park.

meeko_33785

Personally, I love AK. Kilimanjaro Safaris is one of the best attractions I have ever ridden in any theme park, the theming all over is incredable from the realistic Africa and Asia, to the humerous Dinoland to the enchanting Camp Minnie-Mickey. The attractions are great (especially ITTBAB, Dinosaur, and Primevle Whirl), the animal exhibits are the most realistic I've ever seen, and the shows are unbelieveable. For those who complain there is not enough to do there, I have to say that when I'm at the park I'm usually there from park opening to park closing and I never see everything in one day. IMO, AK is a great park and can only get better as the park continues to grow.

BigNorm

I do like Primeval Whirl!!

I like Animal Kingdom, but I think it will be so much better in the future. The themeing in Asia and Africa is fantastic, but don't think that's all I like about AK. Kilimanjaro Safaris, except for the lame poaching chase sub-plot, and Kali River Rapids are brilliant; probably two of Disney's best...ever! I also think the animals, of course, are outstanding as well. I do however find the pathways in the park too narrow and cramped, and having to walk back to the "hub" to get to DinoLand from Asia can be rough on the feet at times.

Also, I think DinoLand and Camp Minnie-Mickey are both very weak. DinoLand suffers because of Dinosaur, CTX was much better, and TriceraTop Spin, did we really need another Dumbo clone (for those wondering, yes I do like Primeval Whirl!; even though it's pretty cheesy, I think it's a pretty good addition to the park.). Camp Minnie-Mickey isn't a must visit either because there really isn't anything to do besides Festival of the Lion King and visit with the characters, which is great if you have little ones. Lastly, though I personally have never visited Rafiki's Planet watch, or whatever they're calling it now, I think that it is a pretty neat idea, it's just not my cup of tea.

I believe AK will greatly benefit from the heavily rumoured, and finally (yet inadvertantly) confirmed, Everest attraction, and the addition of a bridge from DinoLand to Asia, but I still think I'll be ready to leave by early afternoon.

CrisKennedy

Originally posted by Becky
I wouldn't buy a single day pass. If you have a hopper or AP then a half day or so is fine. You can head for another park.

AK is a work in progress and someday it will have much more and therefore be open longer.

I totally agree with you. It took my husband and me half a day to get through AK. When we got done, we went back to our resort (WL), freshened up, and took the boat over to MK. We spent the rest of the day in MK before going back to WL for dinner at Artist Pointe.

mine1204

Personall, this is my favorite park. I took my family there last year, had one day. We saw all the shows enjoyed all the rides and the theming is spectacular. It took us the whole day and still did not see some of the trails and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Pippa

I personally love AK it's very relaxing after tearing round some parks trying to fit in all the attractions. If you go for it it's only half a days worth but then so is MGM at Disneyland Paris. They are both a work in progress.........

gjpjtj

Originally posted by CAPTAIN HOOK
Its getting better - but I'm afraid that it still is only a half day park

I love it!!, But i must agree with CAPTAIN HOOK, still only 1/2 day..... :(

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Originally posted by turkey leg boy
I love the park. It's great for a change of pace. AK and World Showcase are my two favorite areas at WDW.

That's how I feel as well.

On our last two trips. We spend time at AK on multiple days. There is so much to take in. We don't go to Disney for the rides. Don't get me wrong, we do ride them, but they are not the draw for us. It's the magic all the way for us. And AK has plenty to spread around.

You can spend hours on the two animal trails. Dinosaur and Bugs are two of the best attractions at WDW imho, and everyone should do the Backstage Safari tour at least once in there life. It's an eye opening tour about how they take care of the animals and Disney's way of doing things.

AK all the way!!!

navrik

I love animal kingdom! As with all Disney parks it's more about immersion than just rides and Animal Kindom tops the other parks in that. Your really feel like you have travelled to the jungle or African savanah. It blows me away to see aerial photos of the park. The support buildings and parking lots are so close yet you never have a hint of them while in the park. It has the best show (Festival of the Lion King) of all four of the parks. Tough to be a Bug and Tarzan Rock's are both excellent show as well. Two years ago we spent a full day there (before Dinorama was even built) and skipped both Dinosaur and Kali river (my child wasn't tall enough) and still had to rush to see everything. This year we spent a full day and a half there and loved every minute of it. It makes me wonder why they keep Jungle Cruise at MK (except for nostolgia?) Who wants to go on a corny ride to see a bunch of fake animals when you can see the real ones next door? As for least favorite park I would say MGM Studios with out a question. Fantasmic, RnR and TT are great, but the rest is just filler. The idea of seeing old movie props is much more exciting than the reality of it. Most on display are in very poor condition.

ToTBellHop

Like the growing majority of guests (and I am glad to hear that majority is finally growing), I absolutely love Animal Kingdom--it is by far the best themed park at Disney World (certainly has the most conducive theming).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom