Feeling a little like Rip Van Winkle here!

K5thbeatle

Original Poster
We've been away from any WDW vacation for a few years due to some health and business issues. I hadn't paid any attention to news of cost increases or really much by way of WDW but decided to look at possibly making a return visit in 2021. I expected things to be a little more expensive but I must say when I started pricing rooms I was totally flabbergasted. Like Rip Van Winkle must have felt when he slept for 100 years except that my nap away from Disney wasn't that long.

My question is: have the rates for rooms been affected by the pandemic seeing how many of their hotels are still closed or is what I am seeing just the going rates now for WDW hotel rooms? I see now too they have added a nightly parking charge, which to be honest I think I do remember hearing something about that coming a while back. Sorry if this has been discussed already and is old news but I was just kind of surprised by what rooms go for now!

EpcotCenter82

We've been away from any WDW vacation for a few years due to some health and business issues. I hadn't paid any attention to news of cost increases or really much by way of WDW but decided to look at possibly making a return visit in 2021. I expected things to be a little more expensive but I must say when I started pricing rooms I was totally flabbergasted. Like Rip Van Winkle must have felt when he slept for 100 years except that my nap away from Disney wasn't that long.

My question is: have the rates for rooms been affected by the pandemic seeing how many of their hotels are still closed or is what I am seeing just the going rates now for WDW hotel rooms? I see now too they have added a nightly parking charge, which to be honest I think I do remember hearing something about that coming a while back. Sorry if this has been discussed already and is old news but I was just kind of surprised by what rooms go for now!
Yes, the rates you are seeing are the current rates at the Walt Disney World Resorts. The rates for their resorts have increased significantly just over the last 2 to 3 years. They added a parking charge for their resorts starting in March 2018. The charge varies by the type of resort.

Value Resorts: $15 per night
Moderate Resorts: $20 per night
Deluxe and Deluxe Villa Resorts: $25 per night

K5thbeatle

Original Poster
Yes, the rates you are seeing are the current rates at the Walt Disney World Resorts. The rates for their resorts have increased significantly just over the last 2 to 3 years. They added a parking charge for their resorts starting in March 2018. The charge varies by the type of resort.

Value Resorts: $15 per night
Moderate Resorts: $20 per night
Deluxe and Deluxe Villa Resorts: $25 per night
Thank you!

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Room rates have gone up significantly for this year prior to the3 pandemic.
Due to the pandemic it does seem like they are offering larger room rate discounts though.

StarshipDisney

In my experience with our trips from 2000 to 2018, Disney resorts have a yearly inflation rate of 8% or more every single year. My duplicate reservation at Contemporary increased over 8% when I rescheduled from September 2020 to September 2021. To stay Concierge level increased over $3,000 from 2016 to 2020.

I could not agree more about the prices. Oh for the days back in 2000 when we stayed a week at the Poly for $2400. That certainly won't happen again. I guess the day will come when Disney is only for the very rich.

pixie225

We have now re-scheduled our 5 day Disney vacation 3x due to the pandemic. The first time Disney threw in the Dining Plan for free and moved us from Wilderness Lodge to the Contemporary. The second time we had the dining plan and a price decrease of around $800 and they took away our park hopper option. The third time they took away the dining plan they had given us , park hopper AND we had a price increase of around $1,200. To me it isn't even worth going for almost $1,000 per day for 3 of us, but dh refuses to give up the fight to get down there.

HouCuseChickie

The cost increases were in play well before the pandemic. Every now and then, I like to look at current room prices and compare them to old trips. The room we stayed in at YC back over Thanksgiving 2012 costs $350 more per night in 2021. The room we stayed in at WL back in 2010 works out to about $305 more per night in 2020 and in that case, has more than doubled from what we paid 10 years ago. Every year, it just goes up more an more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom