Feb or April School vacation 2019?

mgc

Hello! Planning a Disney trip with my brother and his family next year... Because my brother is a teacher, we are tied to the school calendar and do not have the luxury of traveling outside of those dates. We live in New England so our options are February school vacation, which is the week of President's Day (and runs into the princess half marathon on the other end) Feb 17th-23rd or April school vacation which is the week leading up to Easter (april 14th-21st). Between the 2 of us we have 3 kids who will be 3, 4 1/2 and 5...Needless to say, all the crowd calendars look miserable, but some look a little better for February while others look a little better for April (and by "better" I mean 8's instead of 10's)....any advice on which week might be the better week or other factors we should consider? With our kids still being so young, I worry the crowds and wait times will take alot of the fun out it and makes me wonder if we should wait until they are older and can deal with these challenges a little better? Thanks in advance! (Side note- I took my son right before he turned 3 on a moderately crowded week and we did fine. My brother's kids have never been... I imagine it can be quite difficult to navigate 2 families/3 kids through heavy crowds, etc)

DarthVader

Sith Lord
April school vacation which is the week leading up to Easter (april 14th-21st)
The closer you are to Easter the busier the parks will be.

I just returned from WDW for April vacation, and I offer a couple of points to consider.
1. Airlines jack up the cost of flights in New England during April Vacation. I was seeing prices (for a family of 4) in the 4,000 range, even as high as 7k. I'm sure cheaper flights could be found, but cheaper is relative, i.e., 2.5 - 3k. I was limiting my search to jetblue and non-stop. We opted to drive to Albany and flight out there. The cost was in the 1,800 range for us, a family of 4.

2. The parks were crowded during April vacation, very crowded. I can't speak for February vacation though. I wonder if more school systems have the same February vacation, where as April vacation is more diverse. If that is the case, then you expect Feburary to be busier. I've never been at WDW in Feb, so I have no advise, or insight. Anyways regarding April, all the rides averaged at least an hour wait. Morning were much better, if you're able to be there for the rope drop, you can jump on a couple of rides before the wait times get excessive.

I imagine it can be quite difficult to navigate 2 families/3 kids through heavy crowds, etc)
Yes, I found it a challenge with just four of us. As the morning turns into the afternoon the parks really fill up (particularly MK).

I'm not trying to sway you one way or another, but I did want to communicate the fact during April vacation the parks are busy, I've been told that Easter and the week leading up to Easter make it even busier. Since Easter is late in 2019, I don't know if that fully holds true.

Upvote 0

TDGMedley

I just did Princess weekend this year. it was crowded. We had a group of 6 adults and 2 kids in strollers. I say get to parks early all the runners will be coming in a little later after running. And most runners just come in for the week end Thursday-Sunday. No sure if it helps any, enjoy your trip!!

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Just in case people are not making the connection, the princess weekend is a race event and in 2019 its occuring February 21-24, which is at the tail end of the OP's potential trip in February

Upvote 0

MickeyMomV

My best recommendation is regardless of what the crowd calendars say just assume that it will be crazy busy and plan a trip that works best for your calendar. With the spring breaks being anywhere from march to late April next year, different February events, moving of the Star Wars race weekend, Toy Story Land being open, and crowds still on the increase its going to be busy no matter when you go. With a well planned out trip and the willingness to be flexible you will have a great time no matter when you go and no matter what the crowds look like. We were there this year from March 30th to April 6th, the parks were very crowded and we had a FANTASTIC time!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

I suppose so, but none of us really want to deal with the heat and humidity!
Depending on your school calendar, I'd go June 1-8 or August 24-31 if either one is a viable option. Heat is better than crowds IMO. Go to the parks first thing in the morning, then take a break after lunch during the hottest part of the day. Return to the resort for a nap or a swim. Then go back to the parks before dinner time for evening touring when the crowds and sun are winding down.

Those dates will also save you hundreds of dollars.

Upvote 0

Much-Pixie-Dust

Went the week before Easter in 2017 and Feb. 14-20th this year. We had fun at both, but preferred Easter week. The park hours were better so touring th Park was more manageable at Easter. We like going to the water parks too and one is always closed in February, plus the weather can be hit or miss in February for water parks. There were way more dance and cheer teams in February, even a huge group staying at AKL. I saw no such groups week before Easter. I also liked the egg displays at the deluxe hotel. We’re already planning on going back next Easter.

Upvote 0

DisneyRoy

We went during February break this year and it wasn't that bad. It was a warm week (80's) so it felt nice coming from 20's. I wouldn't plan on it being that warm all the time though. Crowds were manageable. Make your fast passes for the rides you can't miss. Get to the parks early and stay at one park all day. The hours are shorter and hopping takes too much time. Animal/HS/Epcot were all good. Lines got long (Test Track we didn't grt to ride this time as the wait was always 90+ on our Epcot day). But everything else was doable. Magic Kingdom will be crowded. The morning was nice and we were able to get a lot done in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. Then our fastpasses in the afternoon. Then we were able to get more fastpasses for other rides later. We did magic Kingdom on a evening EMH night and it was open until midnight. Once the fireworks show was done the park cleared out quite a bit and we got a lot more done. I would go February break again. Weather was milder than summer and crowds were busy but manageable.

Upvote 0

EngineerMom

FYI ealrly June or late Aug not an option for New England schools that I know
Couldn’t go until week of June 23 or last week Aug 18-25 here. That’s why the times you suggested are less crowded.
Oh well looking forward to not dealing with school calendars some day

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom