Trip Report Fears, Firsts, and Learning to go with the Flow- COMPLETE

Hello, everyone!

As many of you know (and for those that don't), earlier this month, I surprised my niece with a week long trip to Walt Disney World! This plan had been about 8 months in the making, and man, did it feel great to finally let her in on it. I'd be lying if I said that I hadn't come dangerously close to spilling the beans a few times, but I'm SO glad that I didn't; being able to see the sheer joy and shock that swept across that girl's face was worth more than anything in the world!

As a brief recap:
Who: Myself (D) and my niece (S)
Where: Originally scheduled: AKL; Actual resort: keep reading to find out!
When: July 8th to July 14th
Why: My niece's 12th birthday plus just because she deserved it

Travel Day:
With pup all squared away to be spoiled, my niece and I got everything ready the night before; laid out our clothes, placed bags at the door, etc., and set alarms for 4:00 AM, 4:15 AM, and 4:30 AM, which would give us plenty of time to reach the airport for our 7AM flight...except that they never went off...🤦‍♀️ I just so happened to roll over at 5:03 only to give myself a mini heart attack. After bursting into my guest room and sufficiently scaring the %^$# out of my niece, we somehow managed to be downstairs and in the Uber by 5:30! While the street traffic Gods were on our side, we, of course, came to a complete standstill once we turned onto the ramp for our terminal; getting to the doors just in time for the agent to tell us that bag checking for our flight had finished, and that we would not be able to board.

Inside Out Joy GIF by Disney Pixar
(literally me in front of the curbside bag check person)

*To divert for a second, my niece is, without question, the greatest kid I know. Like myself(my hands we shaking like leaves at this point), she suffers from anxiety, and there was no convincing me that I hadn't "ruined everything" by over sleeping. My wonderful, thoughtful, and amazing niece, who always thinks of those around her, gives me the biggest hug, and says "Auntie, we're here and we'll figure it out!"
let it go GIF

There's no doubt in my mind that she was panicking as well, but she put her feelings aside to make me feel better. Have I mentioned how much I love this kid?🥰*

Shoutout to Delta Airlines, because after a few deep breaths, they happily rebooked us on the next flight out (about two hours later) free of charge. Someone out there was really looking out for us, because once we breezed through TSA (pro tip- if you're traveling with a child under 13, and you have TSA pre-check, they automatically do as well), we got to our gate, only to discover that there was both a Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts directly across from our gate, and neither had a long line
Little Women Dancing GIF by TV One
!
By the time we got our breakfast and walked the length of our area (I don't know what it's called where all of the gates are lined up) to finish calm down, it was time for boarding! While we were technically on stand-by, and waiting for them to call you up to gate for a seat assignment is worse than waiting for college acceptance letters, the lovely gate agents quickly got us two neighboring seats with no one in the middle!

Continuing the trend of having a guardian angel, the flight attendant must've seen the stress on my face, because throughout the course of the flight, he proceeded to bring me two of these; stating that he could tell I needed them🤣:
IMG_2860.jpeg

By noon, the Uber was pulling up to baggage claim, and we were on our way! Like some people advised, I put a note into the Uber request for the driver not to mention Disney since it was a surprise. He adorably responded with concern that she might figure it out when we go to the sign. Yes, kind sir, that was the plan. Thankfully, S was nose-deep in her phone for most of the car ride, and I pretended to be answering work emails; as we approached the sign, the adorable driver "stealthily" cleared his throat to let me know. It was then that I asked S to look out of the window to check which exit we were getting off of.

You guys...this kid did the most hilarious double take I've ever seen, and then screamed "WHAT?! WAIT...WHAT?! ARE YOU SERIOUS? LET'S GOOOOOOO!!!!" all while she, myself, AND the Uber driver fought back happy tears!

Our original Disney home was set to be Animal Kingdom Lodge, and as much as I LOVE it there, I made a last minute switch (one that would work out to our advantage many times this trip; gotta love that Monorail access) to what it is truly my favorite resort. As it turns out, an old family friend works for Disney, heard about the trip, and just before leaving my sister in law's baby shower, gave me the option of upgrading to the Polynesian at no additional cost. Once I managed to get over the utter shock of what she'd just said, I fervently said YES and thanked her profusely! My last trip to WDW was seven years ago, when I took another of the tiny humans in my family, so to pull up in front of the Poly again, mixed with the pleasure of seeing S take it all in filled me with an array of happy emotions and memories that I won't ever forget🥹.

No room ready text just yet, so we dropped our bags off, and did some exploring. Frankly, I don't care how many times I've been here, this place never fails to take my breath away. Especially after having gone to Aulani earlier this year, I have to say that Poly really captures the vibes perfectly!
IMG_3224.jpeg
IMG_3226.jpeg
IMG_3228.jpeg

Once the adrenaline had officially worn off from the day's hectic events, we headed to Captain Cook's for lunch (I am the absolute worst at remembering to take pics of my food, so I apologize for the lack thereof). While my order was blasphemous for a place like Captain (I'm not officially in Disney until I've had chicken tenders and fries. Yes, I know, you can get them literally everywhere, but it was always what my Nana and I split as our first lunch at Disney, so it is a tradition that I will continue for the rest of my life), S, on the other hand, after looking at me like I was nuts, got the Aloha Pork Sandwich; "crazy good" as she referred to it. As luck would have it, our room was ready right after lunch, but we weren't done exploring this oasis (and the Dole Whip at Pineapple Lanai was calling our names😂). After indulging our eyes and stomachs, we headed to the room to get settled in for the week. I gave her the rest of her birthday gift, which was a beach bag filled with a new water bottle, Moana ears (when I tell you that this kid is the spitting image of Moana, I'm not even joking), a MagicBand+, and her half of the somewhat matching shirts that we wore to Magic Kingdom(the black one is my half).

1721672535425.png
1721672732303.png
1721672879525.jpeg
IMG_2335.jpeg

Since we were arriving late, I pushed back our dinner reservation at Maya Grill while we were still in the airport, and thank goodness I did, because it would be another few hours before we were hungry again. Once we finished relaxing in the room, we decided to take a Lyft over to Coronado and walk around the property until dinner. This was my first time being back since the tower was finished, and I have to say, it looks great. Somehow, I always forget how beautiful the views are from this place until I'm actually there, and it is now the next resort on S's list of places to stay. After our stroll, we headed to the restaurant, and wow, did they not disappoint! I consider myself a bit of a Mexican food "snob", as I grew up eating very authentic Mexican, and am now located geographically close to the country itself; making crossing the border for a great meal quite easy. From start to finish, Maya Grill was a thumbs up for both S and myself. There was live music being performed at the perfect volume, with an excellent mix of Disney and cultural classics. There was a nice variety of cocktails to choose from, and I went with the Prickly Pear margarita; so good. The guacamole was fresh and flavorful, the salsa roja was amazing, and my chicken enchiladas were very good. S had the fish tacos and just about licked her plate. For dessert, she had the Mexican Chocolate Lava cake, and I the Tres Leche, and both were amazing. I know this place is off the radar for a lot of people, but I'd suggest giving it a try.

S insisted that we walk around CSR a little more, because, as I would come to learn on this trip, selfies at different times of the day are very important,

Sad Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

but after about 30ish minutes, I called an end to the photo shoot, and was ordering the ride home😂. It had been a LONG day, and we (meaning I) had to be up extra early to make my first ever attempt at snagging a popular attraction Lightning Lane at 7 AM.

Attachments

• IMG_2334.jpeg
    IMG_2334.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Minnie1986

Original Poster
🤔 I noticed that “phone” is missing on your park bag lists 😉

Just curious: what is the difference between sunblock and sunscreen on your lists?
I usually never go anywhere without my phone, so between that and the fact that I knew I'd be dealing with MDE, the thought never crossed my mind. Which clearly meant that I wasn't destined to forget it at least once😂

The one that I use specifically on my face says sunscreen on the bottle, as where the one that I use for the rest of my body says sunblock on it🤷‍♀️

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Hollywood Studios cont'd:

After visiting everyone's favorite designer, we made our way over to Grauman's. Runaway Railway was still under construction during my last visit, so I was glad that S and I would get to experience it together. While it's crazy to me that it's taken this long for Mickey and Minnie to get their own ride, they definitely made it worth the wait (I do also appreciate the nods to Great Movie Ride). When Goofy puts a hole in the screen, I couldn't help but laugh right along with the kids in the room. The ride as a whole was adorable, and we both loved it; especially when Daisy had us doing the Conga!

I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but Disney popcorn just hits different. The amount of it that I eat when visiting borders on absurd, and frankly, I'm fine with that! After purchasing our bucket, and tucking into the first of many servings, it was time to check in on Jessie and the crew over in Toy Storyland. Despite the popcorn break, and with it having been late morning, we were both approaching hangry, so we'd decided to mobile order what would become one of our favorite Disney eats; the breakfast bowl, aka "breakfast tatchos." Oh my sweet lord, that gravy!

Emma Stone High Quality GIF
(our faces after the first bites 🤣)

S's parents are chefs, and we have been trying to get them to recreate it ever since we got home! The combination of all my favorite breakfast items (why does Disney call them potato barrels?) smothered in that saucy goodness brought forth a new level of happiness. After a few bites, S and I looked at each and knew that one order definitely wasn't going to cut it. After snagging another, we took our first deep breaths of the day, and took in the sights and sounds of Andy's backyard.

I will be the first to admit to having a hard time not speaking up when I see something ridiculous; and rudeness is a huge pet peeve of mine. Halfway through tatcho bowl #2, I noticed a group of people hovering over a family occupying one of the coveted umbrella tables. Granted, yes, the family was wrapping up, and we all "stake claim" on soon to be empty tables, most of us don't stand so close that the ones currently occupying it can't move, and literally tell them to wrap it up.

Parks And Recreation Donna GIF

Turns out they were a vlogger and his "filming crew" (a bunch of people with iPhones and what looked like a mini boom mic), who "needed" a shady spot to film his Woody's Lunchbox taste test content. How do I know this, you ask? Not only were they beaugarding a table during a peak meal time, they were obnoxiously loud about it😒. After seeing them rudely shoo away a family of five asking if they were almost done, I couldn't take it anymore! S and I cleaned up from our feast, called the family over to our table, and while S went to return the tray, I made my way over to the vlogger and gave them all a few choice words; sorry, not sorry.

One thing to know about S is that she has a bit of a competitive streak (do not play UNO with this kid if you don't have thick skin), so once we boarded Midway Mania, she garnered what I can only describe as the focused precision of a sniper. Unluckily for her, Auntie knows all of the tips and tricks to this ride, so when we got our final scores, she was not the happiest of campers🤣. Next up was Alien Swirling Saucers, which saw one of the sides go down; causing our five minute wait to increase to fifteen, but was enjoyable nonetheless. Especially with this being her first trip, I made sure that S and I took our time wandering around and really appreciating our surroundings. Galaxy's Edge was the next section on our list, but in making our way there, we noticed that the next Indiana Jones show was starting in less than ten minutes. One of the videos I'd watched in preparation gave the tip of sitting within the first few rows, and on the left side to get an immersive experience; they were 100% correct! Seeing the facial expressions of the actors as they recreate each scene really pulls you into it, and we loved every second.

After Indy, we headed to our RotR ILL, and with a posted standby wait time of nearly 100 minutes, I'd never been so happy to have spent money. To be honest, both S and I are quite indifferent to anything Star Wars related (I've only seen the very first one to come out, which I think is technically number 4), but we were both having a blast being captured by "The First Order"(the cast member that watches you prior to "interrogation," asked S if she had any rebel secrets to share, and after she cut him some intense side eye, he picked up the phone and alerted the crew that there was a particularly difficult prisoner. I don't know if his voice cracked or what, but he struggled not to break character after their interaction; giggling in between his words, and we all did our best to try and maintain the illusion of concern.
Thank U GIF by Laff

Eventually we were all rescued by The Resistance, and then decided to explore the marketplace, while placing a mobile order for Docking Bay 7. We both ordered the Hot Chicken Tip Yip, and came this close to ordering a third to share. I don't know what it was, but everything we ate in Hollywood Studios this day was getting at least 4 out of 5 stars, and this dish was no exception. Even the rice, which seems like nothing to write home about, helped blend the hot chicken and the corn medley together so well. S had a simple Coke with hers (I'd come to learn that Coke is to my niece what spinach is to Popeye), while I was tempted by the Surly Sarlacc, which was delicious and so refreshing in that heat.
1722045854170.png

1722045895159.png

**not my photos**

I don't think we'd realized just how much walking we'd done up to this point, because peeling ourselves away from that table was ROUGH. After giving ourselves a few more minutes, we went to check out the Millenium Falcon, and get our assignments for Smuggler's. Between Anaheim and Orlando, I've now ridden Smuggler's a total of six times; the first time we were assigned "Pilot," but since there were two small children in our group, we decided to switch with them. Each time after that, I've always been an Engineer; which was always a bit lackluster. As luck would have it , we both got assigned the Pilot position, and I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't excited about it. How a fake job on an amusement park ride can evoke such an array of emotions, I'll never understand, but I was nervous once we boarded! I somehow never noticed just how much the performance of the pilots can impact the experience as a whole! Thankfully, S and I were up to the task, and together, the six of us successfully completed the mission. After purchasing the lightsaber requested by my sister, we made our way out of Galaxy's Edge...just as the sky opened up. Thankfully, the "Mary Poppins Pack" as S would come to refer to my back pack, was sufficiently stocked with ponchos, water shoes, and lightweight mini umbrellas; as Ms. Mode always says:
IMG_2874.jpeg

We quickly made it to a sort of breezeway at the end of Galaxy's Edge and camped out while trying to decide on our next move. From what I could tell, we weren't too far from Grand Avenue, so after waiting for the rain to die down a bit, it was on to see the Muppets! While it's certainly not as exciting as a lot of the other attractions, this show will always hold a special place in my heart. My grandmother and I used to watch the Muppets constantly, so to be able to relive those memories with S brought me to tears multiple times during the show. Plus, who doesn't love seeing Missy Piggy put on a show stopping performance?
IMG_2891.jpeg

Apparently, tweenagers have the metabolisms of marathon runners, because by the end of the show, S was in desperate need of some food. While it wasn't the best quick service option, it was certainly the closest, so it was off to PizzeRizzo (I know, I know). The Pepperoni and Sausage pizza did the trick for her, while I had the surprisingly delightful side Caesar salad. With the rain having finally ceased, we decided that it was a good time for a resort break. Originally, we planned to go directly to the pool, but by the time we got back to the room, the shower and our beds were calling our names! After some much needed rest, we headed to the Lava Pool, where S joined in on some games, and I enjoyed a well deserved Piña CoLava (mix of a Piña Colada and a Lava Flow😋).

With our dinner reservations looming, S begrudgingly got out of the pool, and we headed upstairs to get ready. After an encore of this morning's dance party, we took a Lyft to the Yacht Club, and checked in at Ale & Compass. Surprisingly, this was my first time at both YC and A&C, and they're both quite impressive. I wish I'd gotten our waiter's name, because he, in particular, was amazing, and provided great recommendations; as well as conversation. Dinner for S was the Bacon and Vermont cheddar burger, which she raved about, and I went for the Cabernet braised short ribs (with the duck fat fingerling potatoes instead of the vegetable mash).

Oh My God Reaction GIF by Friends

The waiter brought me some extra sauce since I mentioned loving it so much, and I swear, had I not been in a restaurant, I would've put a straw in the dish and drank it. Since we couldn't decide between the Apple Cobbler and the 12 layer chocolate cake, the waiter convinced us to just get both and share; best decision we'd made all day.
IMG_2897.jpeg

You may have noticed that we skipped Slinky Dog during our day in the park. That's because riding it at night seemed like an experience not to be missed, so after dinner, we made our way to the dock, and took one of the Friendship boats back to Hollywood Studios
IMG_2898.jpeg

IMG_2901.jpeg
After reaching HS, we strolled down Hollywood Blvd, and made our way to Toy Storyland. We can all agree that TSL is nothing short of awesome, but experiencing it at night, with everything lit up, takes it to a whole new level. By this point, S was a rollercoaster pro, and didn't hesitate for a moment as we made our way through the Lightning Lane. I can't put my finger on what exactly makes Slinky Dog a near perfect ride, but it really is; you can't help but smile from ear to ear by the time it's over. After our ride, S insisted on a TSL after dark selfie session, so as we (slowly) made our way back towards the entrance. It was creeping up on 8:45 PM, and since we planned on catching Fantasmic, I had to request that S put some pep in her step; "but why Auntie, the show is at 9:30, and it's not even 9. We don't need to be there 30 mins early)!"
feels game of thrones GIF

Once I managed to stop laughing, I told S to trust me, as we stopped at the same popcorn cart as this morning, and made our way back down Sunset. It was at this point that we reached the theater, and S quickly realized two very important things; just how steep the climb is to reach the seats of the amphitheater, and to never question my Disney wisdom😂. To this day, I don't understand how it could possibly still be that humid at night, but thankfully we'd grabbed our water bottles before leaving for dinner, and filled them before getting to the theater. Fantasmic is, hands down, my favorite night time show; so by 9:30, the excitement level for both us was off the charts. I don't care how many times I've seen it, and in different iterations, it just checks all of the boxes...so you can imagine the disappointment felt by everyone when the show stopped right before Frollo starts antagonizing Mickey(ugh)! One way to tell Disney newbies from veterans(or perhaps those with small kids who don't want to risk it, which makes total sense to me) is by watching the people who exit the theater when things like this happen. To be honest, after checking the weather app for an impending storm and finding nothing in the forecast, I was shocked at how much the show had emptied out. While waiting with baited breath, it, thankfully, took less than ten minutes for the continuation announcement to be made to thunderous applause.

The older I get, the more I realize that each passing year really does make a difference in how much your body can take. By the end of the show, I felt like the Tin Man before Dorothy oils his hinges, and getting back onto Sunset Blvd from our seats was a STRUGGLE. But, once we were back in the bright lights, I (thankfully) got a second wind. Instead of making a mad dash for the transportation depots, we decided to check out the shops on Hollywood Blvd; S got herself the first of many sweatshirts, and I picked up a Clarabelle cow t shirt for my friend's daughter, and the matching pants to S's shirt for myself. Does anyone else suddenly get crazy tired as soon as you get back to your resort at the end of the night? It was like we were toys and Andy had suddenly appeared, because the second we got inside the lobby, we stood there like mannequins for a few minutes. Once we gathered the will to move, we made it back to our room and got ready for bed in record time. S and I recapped the day, and just before we both passed out, she thanked me for bringing her to such an awesome place🥹.
im not crying youre crying GIF

Next up: Day 3- EPCOT

Last edited:

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Apologies for the delay, but work is insane right now, so very little of my time is my own until after the upcoming election😭

Day 3 (EPCOT):
With two hectic days behind us, we decided to take things a bit slower this morning and forgo lining up for Early Entry. While S slept in, I went for a walk and got us some Mickey waffle platters. On the way back, I took in the scenery and appreciated just how serene the resort can be when it's early. After getting back to the room, S was awake and anxiously waiting to see what all the fuss was about with these waffles (anyone wanna guess how many times she asked for Mickey waffles between this morning and when we left😂)? While S went to town on breakfast, I got myself set up on the MDE app; today would be first time attempting both a Virtual Queue AND trying to grab a big ticket LL. For whatever reason, I decided to go for the LL first (rookie mistake), and managed to snag Remy for 10:35!...and by then the 7am Guardians queue was closed
Idiot Facepalm GIF
!

I decided to take a few deep breaths, and not dwell on my blunder; but, I did set several alarms on both mine and S's phones for 1pm. After this morning's concert (Taylor Swift; S is OBSESSED with her), and several checks to make sure that we had everything this time, we headed out. With us both being native New Yorkers, the walk to the TTC took less time than even I had planned, and not long after, we were on the Monorail. I'd forgotten that you don't have to do a park security check when entering from the TTC(and various other spots), so by this point, we were both doing a little dance after both getting flagged at HS the day before. At ~8:45, we took a look at the app, and were happily surprised to see that Mission Space only had a 25 min. wait, so headed there first. Even better, once I explained the difference in the two sides, that wait dropped drastically to nothing when she chose green😂. After taking a view of Earth from up above, we made our way to Soarin' (thankfully, Around the World, as I've seen Around California so many times at this point, it has loss some magic for me). Another tip that I got from EarScouts was to request section B, rows 1 or 2; which the cast member kindly obliged. Truthfully, I didn't think it would make that much of a difference where you sit, but after following those instructions, I get it. I don't know if it was getting a full view, or watching the awe on S's face, but I got teary eyed more than once🥹.

Both S and I love cooking and gardening, so a ride on Living with the Land was a must. We also got to see people on a BTS tour, and it was cool to see others really excited about horticulture and the beauty of nature as a whole.

IMG_2905.jpeg

IMG_2907.jpeg

Which of course led to S requesting that we do so on our next trip. From here, we said hello to Nemo and Friends, and then had a very educational conversation with Crush (whomever was answering the questions during this session really deserves a raise, because not only were they hilarious, they did a great job of engaging both the children and adults).
Like I mentioned earlier, Moana is S's absolute favorite character (and they look insanely alike), so Journey of Water was next up. Wow; just wow. The amount of detail that they put into this attraction had us both speechless, plus the opportunity to run through some water during 90% humidity was greatly welcome.
IMG_2912.jpeg

After finishing up World Nature, we did the thing I'd been greatly anticipating for the last eight months; took a visit to Club Cool. S (although she doesn't drink it all that often)is a sucker for soda, so when she took a look around, she was quite excited to do the sampling. I have quite literally never tried so hard to maintain my composure as I got the cups, and directed her to start with everyone's favorite,

IMG_3186.jpeg
😈😈😈!

My sister is not keen on S's picture being posted online, and I will always respect how she feels; but words cannot express how badly I wish that I could post the video of her reaction to the Disney delicacy. How she managed to contort her face in such ways, I still don't understand, and I have never been more grateful for the recording capabilities of mobile phones than I was in that moment (plus I have watched it no less than fifty times since then)!
Season 4 April GIF by Parks and Recreation

We made our way through the others, and enjoyed almost all of them; except for the one that tastes like BBQ sauce!

By this time, the one hour clock had started for our Remy return time, but after heading outside, we noticed that ¡Celebración Encanto! was getting ready to start at Communicore Plaza. The performers did an amazing job, and had everyone dancing and singing along! After listening to their renditions of "Family Madrigal" and "We Don't Talk About Bruno," it became clear that continuing to take our time was the only way that S and I were going to make it through the day ahead. On our way to World Showcase, we stopped at the closest Guest Relations umbrella. Both S and I are asthmatic, in addition to me having an autoimmune disorder that can exacerbate in weather extremes on either side of spectrum; so we asked if there was any push back our Lightning Lane. The more senior of the two cast members (bless Cassie from N. Dakota's sweet heart), after asking to scan my MagicBand+, did her thing, and told us to take our time enjoying the park; pulled out a map to show us all of the places that we could get ice water, and assured us that we'd now be able to ride Remy whenever we were able to make our way to France.

With that weight now off of our shoulders, we began our journey around the world with a trip to Mexico! Seeing that pyramid always make me smile for two reasons; its beautiful structure reminds me of family trips to the Yucatan, and the fact that it lets me know that I'm so very close to La Cava del Tequila. I'll never stop enjoying the scenery of the marketplace, so we walked around for a bit; S purchased a beautiful hair accessory while we waited for space inside La Cava to open up. Once it did, I felt like a little kid on Christmas morning, as I perused the drink menu (if it's not yet evident, I really love tequila😂). Normally, I do a flight, but with me being the only adult on this trip, I decided to forgo it for my other favorite, the Blood Orange margarita, a Mentirosa (best mocktail name ever) for S, and an order of chips, salsa, and guac for us to share.
IMG_2916.jpeg

The guacamole here never disappoints, but there was something about the salsa that really did it for me. So much so that I flagged down a waiter to ask if it was available to purchase anywhere on property; unfortunately, it is not😭. During my planning, I came across these really pretty "Snacks and Drinks Around the World" passports on Etsy, and decided to get two for us to keep track of everything we ate/drank in this part of the park.
1722367077724.png

**not my photos; shop name is KimpatibleCreations, and they make a wide variety of really great Disney related merch, if you're ever in need.**

Between the great food, drinks, atmosphere, and air conditioning, we decided to linger in Mexico for a while, before making our way to Norway by way of Arrendelle. With the wait time currently posted at only 30 minutes, and the queue being mostly indoors, we decided to join the royal sisters for an adventure.

**Questions for the parents of current or former tiny humans. If your child (think 5-7) ran up behind a woman and firmly slapped her on the butt, would you have intervened/said something, etc.?**
I ask the aforementioned question, because halfway through the queue, that's exactly what happened to a woman not too far in front of us. Understandably, she was not happy, especially after attempting to speak to his mother, and her response was something along the lines of "so what, he's kid at Disney World; he can do what he wants!" Granted, yes, kids can sometimes forget themselves at Disney(God knows adults do too), I'm pretty sure assault isn't one of the things someone should be expected to shrug off.

Not long after loading our log flume, we were on our way, and S could not have been happier. She was Olaf in her school play two years ago, and loves everything Frozen (except when her little sister makes her watch it on repeat😂). After the ride, there was a shockingly small line to meet Ana and Elsa; giving S and I the idea to bring I (younger niece) the perfect souvenir. Once it was our turn, we asked the cast members if it would be possible for me to record Ana and Elsa sending messages to I. Each princess was so kind, both in their interactions with S, and especially in the messages to I. We sent them to their parents, and apparently, they went over huge with the tiny Frozen fan.
IMG_2930.jpeg

Next up- possibly the best chocolate chip cookie either of us have ever had (don't tell my sister I said that), and taking on the 1pm GotG VQ!

Last edited:

k8einwdw

**Questions for the parents of current or former tiny humans. If your child (think 5-7) ran up behind a woman and firmly slapped her on the butt, would you have intervened/said something, etc.?**
Season 2 Omg GIF by The Office

her response was something along the lines of "so what, he's kid at Disney World; he can do what he wants!"
Oh My God Omg GIF by Schitt's Creek

I have a very rambunctious 3yo, so I feel like I’m qualified to speak on this…1) I would be MORTIFIED and apologize profusely if L were to do this. We’re very clear about keeping hands to self, and respecting people’s boundaries. 2) I cannot STAND when parents think good behavior gets to take a vacation. It’s even worse when they use money as an excuse - “We paid x dollar amount to be here, our kids should get to do whatever they want!” As if every. other. person. in the parks has not also paid to be there. 🙄

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Season 2 Omg GIF by The Office

Oh My God Omg GIF by Schitt's Creek's Creek

I have a very rambunctious 3yo, so I feel like I’m qualified to speak on this…1) I would be MORTIFIED and apologize profusely if L were to do this. We’re very clear about keeping hands to self, and respecting people’s boundaries. 2) I cannot STAND when parents think good behavior gets to take a vacation. It’s even worse when they use money as an excuse - “We paid x dollar amount to be here, our kids should get to do whatever they want!” As if every. other. person. in the parks has not also paid to be there. 🙄
I was really hoping that you would respond to this question. It was like a record on a turntable scratched, because everyone that could see what happened was in complete shock! It wasn't a little tap either(not that this would've made it okay); this kid wound up like he was pitching Game 7 in the World Series. Plus, the fact that the mom couldn't have cared less made the whole thing so much worse.

fractal

Day Two- Hollywood Studios (7.9):

After the borderline trauma of having overslept the night before, we went to painstaking measures to make sure that it wouldn't happen again; between the Amazon Echo Show devices in the room, calling the front desk to request a wake up call, and me having changed the alarm on my phone to the most obnoxious sound I've ever heard, we were confident that we'd be safe this time around. Of course, every morning at Disney would see me waking up an hour before my alarm was set to go off; bright-eyed and bushy tailed.

Kevin Hart Whatever GIF

Chalk it up to Disney excitement, I guess? While getting ready to the sounds of my Spotify "Disney Get Ready mix," I let S sleep in until 6:45. Once it was her turn, I made sure that everything was ready to go with the MDE app, quickly reread some of the advice you all gave me throughout my various posts, and had everything set up by 6:58. Originally, we were going to go for Slinky Dog, but with Rock n Rollercoaster having unexpectedly reopened, I couldn't resist! Thank you all so much for the priceless advice and good vibes, because not only did we get RnR, we got it for 9:05!
Happy Well Done GIF by Top Talent

With that weight now lifted, S and I proceeded to have a dance party while finishing getting ready. Sometimes, you really do just have to enjoy the little things, because dancing around while listening to music (on a respectful level), using hair brushes for microphones, and discussing skin care routines with her was one of the highlights of the trip for me. After the "concert," we double checked the park bag check list(I made one for each day; yes, I'm that friend), and then made our way towards the buses, with a quick stop to fill up our water bottles on the way. If anyone is particularly sensitive to the heat/ humidity like myself (and S, apparently), try adding Liquid IV or any equivalent to your water; doing so helped more than I can put into words)!
View attachment 803919

View attachment 803921View attachment 803922View attachment 803923

Feel free to correct me if i'm using the phrase incorrectly, but as we loaded the bus, we realized that no one else was boarding, and we ended up with a Shirley status ride to the park! I absolutely couldn't believe that for the first time in all my years of going to Disney, we had a private bus first thing in the morning! I reached into my bag to take a picture...and then realized that while in the midst of our jam session, I'd left my phone on my bed🤦‍♀️.

Snap Out Of It Gordon Ramsay GIF by BBC

After sufficiently laughing her head off, S shrugged her shoulders, and started chanting "ROUND TRIP!" Once we pulled into the Hollywood Studios bus area, we told the driver about my blunder, and bless her heart, she told us that if we waited on board for few minutes, she'd take us right back. Thankfully, our room wasn't too far of a distance from the Poly bus area, so we dashed to grab the phone and back to the bus; it was 7:55 at this point, and we really wanted to at least try to rope drop. The good vibes were still flowing our way, because we waited less than five minutes for another bus, and while not private, we were at least able to get a seat for S. Around 8:15, we were scanning in, and officially inside the park!

View attachment 803974

It's no secret that Hollywood Studios is my favorite park; I really do turn into an awestruck kid when I'm there. Between the music, and the details, it just floods me with happiness(for most people the best view in HS is Hollywood Blvd, but for me, it will always be my girl Gertie). The smile on S's face was nothing short of postcard worthy...until she laid eyes on one of my personal favorites, Tower of Terror; and it certainly didn't help that right as we got close, one of the sets of doors opened, and she heard people screaming bloody murder😅.

**Fun fact that my sister neglected to mention is that S is (not anymore!) terrified of rollercoasters, and the following FaceTime conversation ensued when S & I got back to the room for a pool break:

Me: "Did you forget to share any important tidbits of information before you let me take your daughter to what is essentially a massive amusement park?"
Sister: "No, why?"
Me: "Really? You can't think of anything at all? Nothing comes to mind?"
Sister: "..."
Me: "Perhaps the fact that your daughter hates rollercoasters?!"
Sister: "It's Disney, they don't have rollercoasters there! Isn't everything like Small World boat type stuff?"
Me: "So remember when I sent you those emails with the links, etc. with information that would be important to know about Disney World, and asked if there's anything for me to be cognizant of?"
Sister: "Yeah, no, I definitely didn't read those."
Me:
Americas Got Talent Reaction GIF by Top Talent

Since most people tend not to head down Sunset for Rope Drop, the queue for Tower was nearly non-existent. As we approached the building, I pulled her aside, had her watch a quick YouTube video of the ride, and let her know that if she was in any way uncomfortable, we'd walk right past it. Once the clip was over, she looked at me with the most determined expression I've ever seen, and proclaimed that she wanted to give it a shot! In what felt like seconds we were in the lobby, and I think the visuals kinda helped her nerves (which sounds incredibly odd to say about a haunted hotel, but, I decided to roll with it). One of the things S ended up loving the most about Disney was just how into character the cast members get for each attraction. When we got to the elevator, the CM began to scan the crowd, and of course, zoomed in on S. Little did he know that S has been a performer since early childhood, and matched his energy every second! By the time the elevator doors opened, and their staring contest came to an end, he, in his most Lurch from The Addams Family style voice proclaimed, "I like this one," and escorted us all in. As it turns out, it's not so much roller coasters in and of themselves, but the steep inclines and intense drops that a lot of coasters have that scare her most; thus, she was fine during the beginning "Twilight Zone" part; however, when the doors opened and that first downwards pull happened, this kid let out a scream that would rival any octave that Mariah Carey could ever dream of hitting (it's okay if you might've giggled reading that part; it's now a running joke between she and I that won't be dying out anytime soon😂). By the time Rod Serling's voice came back on, I was almost certain that she had in fact been lost to the Twilight Zone, but thankfully once we exited the ride vehicle she was back on this plane of existence and smiling. She did, however, make it clear that while she was proud of herself for trying, she would never be doing that again!

With RnR as our next stop, I was somewhat hesitant after her reaction to Tower, but she went back to YouTube, and realizing that the ride was indoors, she was fine with it. As we wound through the small Lightning Lane queue, I pointed out the sign further explaining the ride, and my girl was still good to go! One of the many things that S and I have in common is a love of music, and she's been exposed to a wide variety from a very early age. When we got inside for the pre-show, her eyes lit up when she saw Aerosmith, causing her to become very excited.

Seth Meyers Omg GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

By the time we got into the "super stretch limo," she was practically bouncing up and down in her seat! The initial shock of taking off rattled her, but by the time it was over, she was dying to go again. Our ride photo came out consisting of me looking like I was running from Michael Myers, and her having put up the rock and roll horns; suffice it to say that we now have another coaster fan in the family (as long as there are no crazy drops😂)!

Having been to Disney World more times than I can count, I quickly realized that never having done so in the height of summer makes a BIG difference. In the short time between when we entered the park and exited Rock n Rollercoaster, the humidity had increased exponentially; to the point that it felt like a slap in the face, and it wasn't even 9:30 AM! Thankfully, we'd been hydrating since 7AM and came prepared; I pulled out the personal neck fans that I snagged from Amazon. If you don't already have one, do yourself a favor, because I can honestly say that I would not have been able to make it through that week without it (and the cooling towels)!

Ever since the original Incredibles movie came out way back when, I have been enamored with Edna Mode; so, of course, when I found out that she now had her own Meet & Greet in her studio, stopping by was a must! According to the app, the wait time was only 15 mins, so, we stopped by Scoops for some quick service ice water, and made our way to Pixar Place. By the time we got there, the wait time had increased slightly, but honestly, an extra five minutes in an air conditioned building sounded like a blessing! Seeing her studio in person; each super suit, magazine cover, sketched design; Disney really knocked it out of the park with the level of attention to detail. Sadly, the posted 20 min wait turned out to be more like 10 (I was quite happy taking it all in, as well as enjoying that precious AC), but on the bright side, it meant that each family got to take their time with Edna; posing and chatting up the cast members. It was, without a doubt, one of the best character interactions I've ever experienced.

View attachment 803995View attachment 803996View attachment 803997View attachment 803998

Up next- Hollywood Studios continued, including Toy Story land, and one of the most delicious breakfast dishes S and I have ever had!

Love the ToT and RnRC story!

fractal

Hollywood Studios cont'd:

After visiting everyone's favorite designer, we made our way over to Grauman's. Runaway Railway was still under construction during my last visit, so I was glad that S and I would get to experience it together. While it's crazy to me that it's taken this long for Mickey and Minnie to get their own ride, they definitely made it worth the wait (I do also appreciate the nods to Great Movie Ride). When Goofy puts a hole in the screen, I couldn't help but laugh right along with the kids in the room. The ride as a whole was adorable, and we both loved it; especially when Daisy had us doing the Conga!

I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but Disney popcorn just hits different. The amount of it that I eat when visiting borders on absurd, and frankly, I'm fine with that! After purchasing our bucket, and tucking into the first of many servings, it was time to check in on Jessie and the crew over in Toy Storyland. Despite the popcorn break, and with it having been late morning, we were both approaching hangry, so we'd decided to mobile order what would become one of our favorite Disney eats; the breakfast bowl, aka "breakfast tatchos." Oh my sweet lord, that gravy!

Emma Stone High Quality GIF
(our faces after the first bites 🤣)

S's parents are chefs, and we have been trying to get them to recreate it ever since we got home! The combination of all my favorite breakfast items (why does Disney call them potato barrels?) smothered in that saucy goodness brought forth a new level of happiness. After a few bites, S and I looked at each and knew that one order definitely wasn't going to cut it. After snagging another, we took our first deep breaths of the day, and took in the sights and sounds of Andy's backyard.

I will be the first to admit to having a hard time not speaking up when I see something ridiculous; and rudeness is a huge pet peeve of mine. Halfway through tatcho bowl #2, I noticed a group of people hovering over a family occupying one of the coveted umbrella tables. Granted, yes, the family was wrapping up, and we all "stake claim" on soon to be empty tables, most of us don't stand so close that the ones currently occupying it can't move, and literally tell them to wrap it up.

Parks And Recreation Donna GIF

Turns out they were a vlogger and his "filming crew" (a bunch of people with iPhones and what looked like a mini boom mic), who "needed" a shady spot to film his Woody's Lunchbox taste test content. How do I know this, you ask? Not only were they beaugarding a table during a peak meal time, they were obnoxiously loud about it😒. After seeing them rudely shoo away a family of five asking if they were almost done, I couldn't take it anymore! S and I cleaned up from our feast, called the family over to our table, and while S went to return the tray, I made my way over to the vlogger and gave them all a few choice words; sorry, not sorry.

One thing to know about S is that she has a bit of a competitive streak (do not play UNO with this kid if you don't have thick skin), so once we boarded Midway Mania, she garnered what I can only describe as the focused precision of a sniper. Unluckily for her, Auntie knows all of the tips and tricks to this ride, so when we got our final scores, she was not the happiest of campers🤣. Next up was Alien Swirling Saucers, which saw one of the sides go down; causing our five minute wait to increase to fifteen, but was enjoyable nonetheless. Especially with this being her first trip, I made sure that S and I took our time wandering around and really appreciating our surroundings. Galaxy's Edge was the next section on our list, but in making our way there, we noticed that the next Indiana Jones show was starting in less than ten minutes. One of the videos I'd watched in preparation gave the tip of sitting within the first few rows, and on the left side to get an immersive experience; they were 100% correct! Seeing the facial expressions of the actors as they recreate each scene really pulls you into it, and we loved every second.

After Indy, we headed to our RotR ILL, and with a posted standby wait time of nearly 100 minutes, I'd never been so happy to have spent money. To be honest, both S and I are quite indifferent to anything Star Wars related (I've only seen the very first one to come out, which I think is technically number 4), but we were both having a blast being captured by "The First Order"(the cast member that watches you prior to "interrogation," asked S if she had any rebel secrets to share, and after she cut him some intense side eye, he picked up the phone and alerted the crew that there was a particularly difficult prisoner. I don't know if his voice cracked or what, but he struggled not to break character after their interaction; giggling in between his words, and we all did our best to try and maintain the illusion of concern.
Thank U GIF by Laff

Eventually we were all rescued by The Resistance, and then decided to explore the marketplace, while placing a mobile order for Docking Bay 7. We both ordered the Hot Chicken Tip Yip, and came this close to ordering a third to share. I don't know what it was, but everything we ate in Hollywood Studios this day was getting at least 4 out of 5 stars, and this dish was no exception. Even the rice, which seems like nothing to write home about, helped blend the hot chicken and the corn medley together so well. S had a simple Coke with hers (I'd come to learn that Coke is to my niece what spinach is to Popeye), while I was tempted by the Surly Sarlacc, which was delicious and so refreshing in that heat.
View attachment 804278

View attachment 804279
**not my photos**

I don't think we'd realized just how much walking we'd done up to this point, because peeling ourselves away from that table was ROUGH. After giving ourselves a few more minutes, we went to check out the Millenium Falcon, and get our assignments for Smuggler's. Between Anaheim and Orlando, I've now ridden Smuggler's a total of six times; the first time we were assigned "Pilot," but since there were two small children in our group, we decided to switch with them. Each time after that, I've always been an Engineer; which was always a bit lackluster. As luck would have it , we both got assigned the Pilot position, and I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't excited about it. How a fake job on an amusement park ride can evoke such an array of emotions, I'll never understand, but I was nervous once we boarded! I somehow never noticed just how much the performance of the pilots can impact the experience as a whole! Thankfully, S and I were up to the task, and together, the six of us successfully completed the mission. After purchasing the lightsaber requested by my sister, we made our way out of Galaxy's Edge...just as the sky opened up. Thankfully, the "Mary Poppins Pack" as S would come to refer to my back pack, was sufficiently stocked with ponchos, water shoes, and lightweight mini umbrellas; as Ms. Mode always says:
View attachment 804283
We quickly made it to a sort of breezeway at the end of Galaxy's Edge and camped out while trying to decide on our next move. From what I could tell, we weren't too far from Grand Avenue, so after waiting for the rain to die down a bit, it was on to see the Muppets! While it's certainly not as exciting as a lot of the other attractions, this show will always hold a special place in my heart. My grandmother and I used to watch the Muppets constantly, so to be able to relive those memories with S brought me to tears multiple times during the show. Plus, who doesn't love seeing Missy Piggy put on a show stopping performance?
View attachment 804287
Apparently, tweenagers have the metabolisms of marathon runners, because by the end of the show, S was in desperate need of some food. While it wasn't the best quick service option, it was certainly the closest, so it was off to PizzeRizzo (I know, I know). The Pepperoni and Sausage pizza did the trick for her, while I had the surprisingly delightful side Caesar salad. With the rain having finally ceased, we decided that it was a good time for a resort break. Originally, we planned to go directly to the pool, but by the time we got back to the room, the shower and our beds were calling our names! After some much needed rest, we headed to the Lava Pool, where S joined in on some games, and I enjoyed a well deserved Piña CoLava (mix of a Piña Colada and a Lava Flow😋).

With our dinner reservations looming, S begrudgingly got out of the pool, and we headed upstairs to get ready. After an encore of this morning's dance party, we took a Lyft to the Yacht Club, and checked in at Ale & Compass. Surprisingly, this was my first time at both YC and A&C, and they're both quite impressive. I wish I'd gotten our waiter's name, because he, in particular, was amazing, and provided great recommendations, as well as conversation. Dinner for S was the Bacon and Vermont cheddar burger, which she raved about, and I went for the Cabernet braised short ribs (with the duck fat fingerling potatoes instead of the vegetable mash).

Oh My God Reaction GIF by Friends

The waiter brought be some extra sauce since I mentioned loving it so much, and I swear, had I not been in a restaurant, I would've put a straw in the dish and drank it. Since we couldn't decide between the Apple Cobbler and the 12 layer chocolate cake, the waiter convinced us to just get both and share; best decision we'd made all day. View attachment 804306

You may have noticed that we skipped Slinky Dog during our day in the park. That's because riding it at night seemed like an experience not to be missed, so after dinner, we made our way to the dock, and took one of the Friendship boats back to Hollywood StudiosView attachment 804307
View attachment 804308After reaching HS, we strolled down Hollywood Blvd, and made our way to Toy Storyland. We can all agree that TSL is nothing short of awesome, but experiencing it at night, with everything lit up, takes it to a whole new level. By this point, S was a rollercoaster pro, and didn't hesitate for a moment as we made our way through the Lightning Lane. I can't put my finger on what exactly makes Slinky Dog a near perfect ride, but it really is; you can't help but smile from ear to ear by the time it's over. After our ride, S insisted on a TSL after dark selfie session, so as we (slowly) made our way back towards the entrance. It was creeping up on 8:45 PM, and since we planned on catching Fantasmic, I had to request that S put some pep in her step; "but why Auntie, the show is at 9:30, and it's not even 9. We don't need to be there 30 mins early)!"
feels game of thrones GIF

Once I managed to stop laughing, I told S to trust me, as we stopped at the same popcorn cart as this morning, and made our way back down Sunset. It was at this point that we reached the theater, and S quickly realized two very important things; just how steep the climb is to reach the seats of the amphitheater, and to never question my Disney wisdom😂. To this day, I don't understand how it could possibly still be that humid at night, but thankfully we'd grabbed our water bottles before leaving for dinner, and filled them before getting to the theater. Fantasmic is, hands down, my favorite night time show; so by 9:30, the excitement level for both us was off the charts. I don't care how many times I've seen it, and in different iterations, it just checks all of the boxes...so you can imagine the disappointment felt by everyone when the show stopped right before Frollo starts antagonizing Mickey(ugh)! One way to tell Disney newbies from veterans(or perhaps those with small kids who don't want to risk it, which makes total sense to me) is by watching the people who exit the theater when things like this happen. To be honest, after checking the weather app for an impending storm and finding nothing in the forecast, I was shocked at how much the show had emptied out. While waiting with baited breath, it, thankfully, took less than ten minutes for the continuation announcement to be made to thunderous applause.

The older I get, the more I realize that each passing year really does make a difference in how much your body can take. By the end of the show, I felt like the Tin Man before Dorothy oils his hinges, and getting back onto Sunset Blvd from our seats was a STRUGGLE. But, once we were back in the bright lights, I (thankfully) got a second wind. Instead of making a mad dash for the transportation depots, we decided to check out the shops on Hollywood Blvd; S got herself the first of many sweatshirts, and I picked up a Clarabelle cow t shirt for my friend's daughter, and the matching pants to S's shirt for myself. Does anyone else suddenly get crazy tired as soon as you get back to your resort at the end of the night? It was like we were toys and Andy had suddenly appeared, because the second we got inside the lobby, we stood there like mannequins for a few minutes. Once we gathered the will to move, we made it back to our room and got ready for bed in record time. S and I recapped the day, and just before we both passed out, she thanked me for bringing her to such an awesome place🥹.
im not crying youre crying GIF

Next up: Day 3- EPCOT

Regarding the people hogging the shaded table...

giphy.gif

Docking Bay 7 is a bit of a hidden gem for a quick service meal.

Just realized I never saw Toy Story Land at night! Great report!

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Day 3 (EPCOT) continued-
From Frozen, we decided to check out Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe for our Norwegian indulgences. Since EPCOT is literally a smorgasbord of deliciousness, we decided to continue splitting whatever possible, to avoid getting too full too quickly. After taking a look around, we decided on a Kristoff Kaffe and the Triple Chocolate Chip cookie. I'm not a huge coffee fan, so I let S have most of the drink, but that cookie...

So Good Dinner GIF by The Drew Barrymore Show

Has anyone heard the sound going around social media where the guy says "Spectacular! Gimme 14 of them right now!?" That's exactly what was going through both of our heads. By the time we reached the register, and the cast member asked us what pastry we had, we looked down only to notice that we'd eaten the entire cookie while in line! Sheepishly, we told the cast member, and she explained that it happens all the time. Before leaving, we asked her for one more (we also may or may not have made another stop later on in the day...and then again on a different day of the trip😊). After making notes in our passports, we stopped at the Norway KidCot spot to collect our stamp and Norwegian greeting (I think it's so sweet that each country writes a little message along with the stamps), then it was on to China.

Since we were still wiping chocolate chip cookie off our faces, we decided to catch the upcoming showing of Reflections of China. We both really enjoyed both the film, and the theater in general. A lot of the time, people automatically associate EPCOT with eating and drinking(myself included), but this was a lovely reminder to slow down and appreciate the cultures that surround you. Before heading out, the 12:55 pm alarms that I'd set let us know that it was time to get ready for VQ attempt #2. We found a spot to sit on the floor, and anxiously waited for the "Join Virtual Queue" button to change color. In the blink of an eye, the VQ went live, and before I knew it, I was being taken back to the beginning screen. Primed for a freak out, S then pointed out that the screen changed, because I'd successfully gotten a boarding group😅.

IMG_2931.png

After doing a little celebratory dance, and with a few hours to kill, onward we went around the world. The heat was really picking up, so we hopped in line at Joy of Tea for a lychee iced tea, and some ice water; both hit the spot tremendously. House of Good Fortune was calling our names, where S went on the hunt for some souvenirs. After picking out chopsticks for herself and her mom, we decided to grab a bag of the crab style Lays (solid 7/10), check out the open air market, and get our stamps. With both of us now needing a break that involved sitting in actual chairs, we mobile ordered some dumplings from Lotus Blossom Cafe, which were pretty good.

Karamell Kucche did not disappoint for S when we got to Germany. While I'm not the hugest fan of caramel, S loves it! Once she got over the initial Charlie when he first walks into the chocolate factory style shock, she made a beeline for the display; ultimately deciding on the Mickey shaped krispie treat, chocolate caramel square with sea salt, and a bag of caramel popcorn as room snacks for later. Before leaving the park, S would insist that I try a bite of her chocolate caramel square, otherwise I wouldn't have a snack to write on the Germany page of my passport, and I'm really glad I did; highly recommend it if you're looking for something to get. While planning the trip, I searched for a drink that both S and I could share, and stumbled upon something called Spezzi. Most blogs mentioned that it could only be ordered at Biergarten, but once we got to the cart, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. While yes, it is only on the menu at the table service restaurant, the cart can also provide it! The taste of orange soda and coke was definitely enjoyable, but we both agreed that it was a good idea to split one.

1722534175948.png

1722534278341.png

**not my photos**

We were having pretty good luck, timing wise on this day, because not long after we stepped into Italy, Sergio was beginning a performance! As many times as I've seen him perform, he never fails to impress, as the crowd clapped, and cheered throughout his act. S, having always wanted to visit the actual country, really enjoyed wandering around the pavilion; stopping in every shop she could see. After a major photo shoot at the fountain, I was in need of a more adult beverage, and Gelateria Toscano provided the perfect respite; with an aranciata for S, a bellini for me, and a cup of gelato for each(Vanilla and Mint Chocolate Chip)! Normally, Italy is where I'd stop for lunch in EPCOT, but there was a place in the next country that I haven't had in quite some time, and who doesn't love some good bbq😉!

Up next we found ourselves in the good 'ole US of A! Since we were both getting hungry for a meal, we decided to skip the show, and mobile order lunch from the Regal Eagle. I'm still in mourning over the lose of the burnt ends fries,
sad 9-1-1 GIF by Global TV

but decided on the Kansas City-smoked half chicken with mac and cheese, and S went for the ribs (also with mac and cheese); while we waited to be called up, I ordered a Moonshine Sour from the Fife and Drum. I don't why, but something about the combination of my meal and drink made all of the stress from the early mornings, miles of walking, and the heat melt away like butter. S and I both had to stop ourselves from licking our utensils, because the food was that good. Since neither of us finished everything on our plates, I had any idea. Once we finished our drinks, we went up to the counter, ordered a side of fries and a to go box. Before leaving, we tossed everything into the box, shook it up, and made ourselves a barbecue jumble to enjoy later. After making our obligatory stamp stop, it was on to the land of the rising sun!

After checking on the progress of our GotG boarding group (still more than 90 mins), we decided to watch the Matsuriza drummer performing on the pagoda, which never fails to take my breath away. We decided to do a snack/drink 2 for 1 by getting the cherry Kakigōri, and take our time exploring the pavilion (and spending money at the Mitsukoshi store). S loves all things Japanese, so she was in heaven with her purchases, while I picked up two beautifully decorated sake sets; one for myself, and one for my sister in law's upcoming birthday. The KidCot table happened to be right at the exit to the store, so after getting our stamp, we went to Morocco.

IMG_3213.jpeg

With Morocco being one of the smaller pavilions, us still needing to make our "reservation" at Gusteau's, and our boarding group drawing closer, we decided that, after taking some photos and grabbing a frozen mint tea, we should make our way to France.

IMG_3196.jpeg

Gertrude Stein once said "America is my country, and Paris is my hometown," and I've never related more to a quote in my life. Paris will always hold an extremely special place in my heart, so being able to enjoy even a replica gives me butterflies. S was in complete awe since she's grown up listening to the stories of my time there, and is dying to go (we're saving that one for a 16th birthday gift; with a trip to Disneyland Paris, of course 😉). As she checked out the app for what snacks we should get, we went to see Disney's most famous rat, Remy!

IMG_2941.jpeg

For my 30th, I took a trip to DLP, and experienced their version of Remy, so I was very excited when they decided to bring it to the US. There's something about the smoothness of the trackless rides that really lets you immersive yourself in the plot of the attraction; and being able to ride it again with my niece was pretty great. After bidding adieu to Remy, we did some more shopping, where I snagged a beautiful tote-style bag and spirit jersey featuring my girl, as well as a t-shirt that S had her eye on, but talked herself out of (when she wasn't looking, I scooped it up, and will be giving it to her as a part of her Christmas gift🤫).
IMG_3199.jpeg

For our French eats, we decided to go to Les Halles and get two strawberry tarts, and a half baguette for later; both, of course, were amazing. S got a hot tea (how she managed to drink it as hot as it was, I still don't understand), and I got my favorite summertime cocktail, the Frosé. Especially for one that comes out of a machine, it never fails to hit the spot.

Our boarding group was getting close, so we would be saving the UK and Canada for our second visit to EPCOT. From here, we took a boat from the international gateway to the other side of World Showcase, and made our way to World Discovery. With ~15 mins to spare, we decided to wait inside of Communicore Hall to stay cool while we waited.

* I feel like as a Disney vet, I should probably know this, but can someone tell me what all of the flags inside of the hall are for?*

Before we knew it, our group was up, and we were making our way around the Galaxy on Rocket's crazy mission. This was both of our first time on GotG, and we have not stopped talking about it since. At no point did either of us mind waiting anywhere in the queue, because it was just plain awesome! Gamora's interview about the events of GotG 1 cracked me up, and the attention to detail on every part of the "exhibit" really checked all of the boxes.

1722690747181.jpeg

Terry Crews was amazing as always, and then it was time to board our ship. From reading everyone else's reports, I knew that it's a big deal to find out what song you get, and I couldn't have been happier when I realized that ours was... September!!

Fun fact - my mother went into labor with me, quite literally, on the 21st night of September; so when I was a kid, my parents would always sing it when I was sick/sad/ etc. As soon as I heard the horns blow, the largest grin came across my face, and made the ride that much more enjoyable. At this point, S was a roller coaster connoisseur, and had her arms up in the air, and a huge smile of her own. Having finally gotten to experience, I can firmly agree that GotG is by far the best ride at Walt Disney World right now.

Next- Luminous and S's first stroll down Main Street, U.S.A.

Attachments

• IMG_3194.jpeg
    IMG_3194.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Regarding the people hogging the shaded table...

giphy.gif

Docking Bay 7 is a bit of a hidden gem for a quick service meal.

Just realized I never saw Toy Story Land at night! Great report!
Seeing Toy Story land at night felt like viewing a completely different section of the park. Being able to see the string bulbs turned on, and the toys all lit up was so special.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Last part of Day 3 (EPCOT)

It was creeping up on 6pm at this point, and with all of the fun that we were having, we decided to cancel our reservation at Trattoria al Forno, and keep exploring. After looking at the app, we saw that La Calle Band had a set starting in 10 minutes at the plaza. Since we enjoyed the first show we saw there, we figured why not, and headed that way. Once again, the performances did not disappoint, and everyone in the vicinity was dancing up a storm (including an older couple doing the Cha Cha with everyone cheering them on🥰).

Dancing worked up quite the appetite, so we ventured back to Communicore Hall to sit down and enjoy our collective feast of fries, mac and cheese, bbq chicken, ribs, and the Yuzo Miso wings we picked from Katsura Grill in Japan. Don't get me wrong, I love a good table service restaurant, but this mash up we'd created was nothing short of amazing! During dinner, we checked the app and saw that Spaceship Earth had a wait of around 15 mins, so that was next on our list. In comparison to today's technology, the ride does seem outdated, but I feel like that's part of what makes it great; a bit of nostalgia, if you will.
1722690792596.jpeg

After listening to the soothing sounds of Dame Judy Dench, we did a few re-rides of Soarin,' and Mission Space, and made our way back to World Showcase. Stopping in Norway for more cookies was an absolute must before we made our way back to Japan for S to snag one more souvenir that she'd regretted not buying the first time around. By this time, it was 8:30, so we decided to take a seat along the lagoon and wait for Luminous to start. Until now, I'd only ever seen Illuminations; and as much as I loved it, Luminous was far superior. I can't quite put my finger on why, but both S and I found it to be breathtaking. Once the show (unfortunately) ended, we slowly made our way out of park; making sure to take plenty of pics of S near the ball, now that it was illuminated.
1722691641631.jpeg

I guess because we were riding on such a high from the day, the walk back to the TTC passed by quickly, and the monorail being there within three minutes; getting us home in no time. We made sure to do all of the bag checks, etc. once we got back, because tomorrow would lead us to main attraction, Magic Kingdom!!

Last edited:

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Day 4 (Magic Kingdom):

Magic Kingdom often evokes a special type of excitement, and S was no exception; as I would learn when, after waking up at 6:00, finding her dressed, and having ran the shower for me. After quickly getting ready, I'd also find that whilst I was in the shower, she'd laid my clothes out on my bed; down to the shoes waiting in front of it.
you need to calm down taylor swift GIF

Much to her annoyance, I informed her that we would not be leaving the room until after we'd secured out boarding group and LL at 7:00 am. Thankfully, by the time I'd finished getting myself together, it was 6:50. We sat down to make sure that everything was set on both phones, so that I could focus on the boarding group, and she the lightning lane. Channeling my inner @Tuvalu, I was able to secure a pretty early boarding group,
1722884326541.jpeg

and S was done snagging Big Thunder Mountain at just about the same time.

Give Me Five GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Normally on MK days, I skip breakfast and get a waffle from Sleep Hollow; seeing as how that's no longer an option (@k8einwdw, maybe me complaining will bring this one back too🤞), and our agenda was complete by 7:03, we decided to mobile order some breakfast from the Captain's to start our day off right. By 7:45, we were boarding the monorail, and headed to Magic Kingdom. (I have to say, there is something pretty awesome about entering the park from here). With security already taken care of, we headed down Main St.
1722869051101.jpeg

Even in a Florida downpour, nothing beats that view!

The stories I've heard from both online and IRL friends about attempting to rode drop 7DMT gave me chills, so we decided to go for the lesser of the two evils, Space Mountain. I don't know if the majority of people go for 7D's, especially with Peter Pan's flight being closed, but the line for Space was nowhere near as brutal as we thought it would be. Granted, we weren't at the front , but I'd say we had a more than decent spot in line. We decided to play "Heads Up" on S's phone to kill time, and by around 8:25, they started letting people inside.

With indoor coasters having quickly become her favorite, S loved every minute of it, and then it was off to save the Galaxy with Buzz (I didn't know that photopass makes a video of your car and sends it to you. I got ours yesterday, and the accompanying photo was so priceless, I ordered it, and will be putting it up in my living room😂). After thwarting Emperor Zurg, we had some time to kill before our Big Thunder LL; which, of course meant it was snack time! Another one of my many Disney traditions is to have a churro as my first snack of the day in Magic Kingdom. The woman at Auntie Gravity's saw S's first time button, and pixie dusted her with a free smoothie, while I enjoyed my cinnamon sugar covered goodness. Making our way to Frontierland, I insisted that we stop at the hub; since we somewhat rushed to get to Tomorrowland, S didn't really get a chance to at rope drop. As hard as I've been trying, I can't think of the appropriate words to describe the look on S's face. I think, once she saw the castle, it all sank in; she hugged me so tight, as we stood there for a while.

Making our way to Frontierland, we continued taking our time getting to the queue, so that S could really absorb the surroundings, take pictures, etc. The LL queue moved pretty quickly, and we were on the "wildest ride in the wilderness" in no time. As luck would have it, our boarding group for Tiana was called while we were checking out the ride photos for Big Thunder. Even with the rain starting to increase a bit, neither of us could've cared less. To be quite honest, as a kid, I accepted that their would likely never be a princess that looked like me; so for there to not only be one, but her now having her own ride brought me to tears. Disney truly outdid themselves with Bayou Adventure; walking through the queue felt like strolling around the French Quarter; everything so full of color, and the music taking hold of you. The inside section is even better, not only being able to see bits of her past, such as her dad's letters and recipes, but her and Naveen's more recent accomplishments. S and I both choked up multiple times, and were legitimately misty-eyed by the time we loaded the log flume.
1722884355997.jpeg
1722884373420.jpeg

1722885389429.jpeg

Seeing Mama Odie(and Juju, of course), as well the new characters was so heartwarming; and I was glad to see that the drop is still as much fun as it was with Splash Mountain. By the end of the ride, everyone was clapping along to the music and smiling from ear to ear. Thankfully, Critter Co-op was open by the time we arrived at Disney, so we made a beeline for it after the ride. I really have to tip my hat to the creators of the store, because between the signage, carvings, and overall aesthetic, they did a phenomenal job bringing about the sense of community that they were going for.
1722884702167.jpeg

I was especially grateful to see them pay tribute to Leah Chase, the woman who inspired Tiana; while she's unfortunately passed away, she remains a NOLA legend who did so much for not only her neighborhood, but the city as a whole. As anticipated, this is where I did the most damage merch wise. Along with new ears, I couldn't decide which piece of the Tiana inspired jewelry I wanted, so I bought all of it(money doesn't count on vacation, right)?
1722884929338.png

1722899875085.jpeg

I rounded things off with a bottle of Mama Odie's hot sauce, while helping S decide on the same pair of ears, a bananas foster chocolate bar; really good by the way, (does anyone else sing the chorus to that Gwen Stefani song when trying to remember how to spell banana), and the light up Ray wearable.

gwen stefani bananas GIF

Next Up- Magic Kingdom part 2

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom