Fear of heights at Wilderness Lodge???

Wow…I’m so ready to return to WDW…we’re not traveling until January 2007, but we’ll be staying at the Wilderness Lodge in a courtyard view room. From everything I’ve read, and everyone I speak to, this is an absolutely beautiful resort. So why am I so nervous? Well…both my daughter and I have a real problem with heights. When I walk through big cities, I don't even like to look up from the ground at tall buildings. My wife and son are ok, but the thought of having to get off an elevator several stories up and walk along the railing in the lobby to get to our room will make me crazy by the time we get there. The pictures are fantastic…I just want to know if it’s possible to get a room with a view without the stress of getting to it. Anyone???:hammer:

reptar77

Only portions of the hallway is open with a railing. My suggestion is to walk along the wall without the railing and place your other family members btw you and the railing to obstruct your view. If you don't think this would help then I suggest the Poly or Grandflo for MK resorts. Good luck.

Upvote 0

oldshovelhead

Original Poster
Thanks...

Thanks for your reply...got to tell ya' though...I'm no wimp...I ride Harleys really fast, really far, for the last 30 years...but my butt is only 2 feet off the ground. There's just something out there that scares all of us.:cool:

Upvote 0

swimmom

There are two elevators at WL. If your room is in the northerly portion of the building, walk through the lobby toward Artist Point, down the ramp, turn the corner and walk to the end of the hall to the elevator. If you are in the southerly portion of the building, take the elevator nearest the lobby. This will prevent you from having to walk above the lobby.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

You shouldn't have to pass by too many open areas in the hallways, I've been in rooms where I don't even get to see the lobby. You can ask for a lower room so you aren't up that high, but then the view may not be that great.
I have problems with heights, but we always stay on the 6th floor in the WL and I have never had a problem unless I hang over the rail and look down (and I only did that once :hammer: )

((HUGS)) Best of luck to you. :wave:

Upvote 0

sweetale

I just wanted to throw another suggestion out there. There are great resources out there for helping people through phobias. A licensed therapist specializing in anxiety can support you through what is referred to systematic desensitization. Basically you will begin with relaxation exercises and ranking your phobia from least provoking to most provoking, from there you will actually slowly confront your fear using the relaxation exercises until the phobia is extinguished. It is a very effective technique and really does not take too many therapy sessions to complete. Here are some websites if you want to investigate further:
http://www.guidetopsychology.com/sysden.htm
http://locator.apahelpcenter.org/

Take it or leave it, no big deal just thought I'd put it out there (my counselor duty of the day! :p ). Either way, do have a great time and enjoy your trip. I love the WL it is a magnificent hotel.:wave:
~Amy

Upvote 0

Captain Hank

I actually stayed in a courtyard-view room that was on the ground floor of the resort. The view was great! Probably not quite what it would have been in a higher room, but still very beautiful. You might try contacting the resort requesting a ground-level courtyard room. Note that the balcony was actually elevated above the courtyard a bit of a distance, but the room corridoor was accessed directly off of the main lobby with no elevators or elevated walkways involved.

Upvote 0

CelticRose

Wow…I’m so ready to return to WDW…we’re not traveling until January 2007, but we’ll be staying at the Wilderness Lodge in a courtyard view room. From everything I’ve read, and everyone I speak to, this is an absolutely beautiful resort. So why am I so nervous? Well…both my daughter and I have a real problem with heights. When I walk through big cities, I don't even like to look up from the ground at tall buildings. My wife and son are ok, but the thought of having to get off an elevator several stories up and walk along the railing in the lobby to get to our room will make me crazy by the time we get there. The pictures are fantastic…I just want to know if it’s possible to get a room with a view without the stress of getting to it. Anyone???:hammer:
I also have the same problem, but I just walk next to the wall or I ask for a room on a lower floor. I also have a real problem with those darn glass elevators:hammer:
PS: My Husband is from Emmaus.

Upvote 0

sandman50

There are two elevators at WL. If your room is in the northerly portion of the building, walk through the lobby toward Artist Point, down the ramp, turn the corner and walk to the end of the hall to the elevator. If you are in the southerly portion of the building, take the elevator nearest the lobby. This will prevent you from having to walk above the lobby.

The last time we were there when we exited the elevator there were only two windows one at each end of a hallway.Did not see much out of them either.All of the rest of the walk to our room(and it was a long walk haha) was inside corridors.
You should be able to get to many rooms without looking over any railings.

rich

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom